Chapter 27
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Chapter 27

The morning after, Dimitri was humming in the kitchen and making something with ingredients he had gotten at the crack of dawn. Whatever it was, it smelled divine and Nikola couldn’t even imagine a world where he was a vampire and couldn’t ingest food.

Although, Dimitri was still a vampire and yet could ingest food just fine. But, no! He could work with the power he already had. His angelic grace. If only he knew how to unlock it.

The entire morning, he had been attempting to resurrect a dead plant. It was a dried-up thing, all thorns and dead leaves. It had been a rose, once. A gift to Malkav from a Toreador who believed he was an angel.

Granted, the Toreador also believed that he, himself, was also an angel. Dimitri had assured him that Michael the Patriarch was no such thing, but he had his delusions that came about after the destruction of his dream.

Dimitri had even sounded sad when he said it, as if it was some sort of great tragedy. Nikola had thought that Michael could either be Dimitri’s idol or close friend. But the blonde didn’t want to speak about the other Toreador.

Around seven am, many Malkavians had come to the apartment to consult their creator about whether their madness was truly gone or if it was worsening.

Nikola recognized Freddy from the videos and Anna too, but he remained in the shadows and didn’t speak to them. Maybe he could become their friend again. But this time, he was not going to have fangs.

Which brought him back to his current task. If he couldn’t bring this rose back to life, how was he going to heal Ivan? From the videos, he had gotten the impression that he had looked on the man as a cousin. A family member. He wanted to avoid abandoning him.

But, he had no idea how long it had taken the former him to find him the last time. What had happened to Ivan during all those lives where Nikola had been obsessed with destroying Dimitri? Did he wake, only for him to get crushed over the reality of his internal damage?

He was not going to let it happen! He waved his hand over the rose and, without meaning to, pricked his hand on the dried-up thorns. Then, right in front of his eyes, the rose exploded in colors and became a bush again, with little roses blooming among the thorns.

“Congratulations, dear,” said Malkav from his place on the couch. A light got turned on in Nikola’s brain. It was his blood that could do things. His blood could heal anything, or, almost anything. He could save Ivan.

But, if the vampires found out that he was a multi-use pill, they will suck him dry. As much as he wanted to help everyone he could, he knew he had to be cautious. To keep this secret among a close circle of friends.

“Did he manage?” Called Dimitri from the kitchen counter.

“The rose is as beautiful as the day it was given to me,” Nikola gently cupped one of the blossoms and attempted to inject it with grace, to see what would happen. But he found he could not extend his grace outside his blood.

“So, the only thing you need to do is give Russian Hulk some blood?” Dimitri was behind him, and he was eyeing the droplets of blood on the thorns of the rose.

“I have no idea what will happen,” began Nikola, uncertain. “But I am certain that at least his internal damage will get fixed.”

“Or you can create a first generation vampire, an equal to Caine,” suggested Malkav and both Dimitri and Nikola turned to stare at him. “It is entirely possible. Caine derives from Lilith, and she is a demoness. So, why should the blood of an angel get a different result, when both Lilith and the angels were among God’s first creations?”

Nikola didn’t know. He preferred not to turn Ivan into a vampire, but, he supposed, him waking up was worth it.

“That would cause an uproar. People will want to diablerie the Russian Hulk to move up a generation. Mutations could happen if he trades his vitae. Niki, go for it,” Dimitri’s roguish grin sent goosebumps all over Nikola’s skin. He was not blind, and Dimitri was something else. So very handsome, so very…

“Why, thank you for the compliment, morsel,” Dimitri leaned into Nikola’s space and pressed his nose to his. “If I am so handsome, do I get a kiss? As a reward for me cooking for you?”

Nikola blushed and looked down. He felt his lips being peeked regardless, and he looked up to a grinning Dimitri.

“You know, I enjoy this game as much as your compliance, Niki. To think I missed out on this the first time,” Dimitri smiled wistfully and took Malkav’s hand.

“Come on, daddy, let the druid admire his flowers. I have made you a blood sorbet. It is safe to eat and teeth rooting sweet,” and with that, Nikola was left alone.

He stood up from his place on the floor and went to sit on the couch instead. All the while, he made plans for his first meeting with Ivan. What would he tell him if he turned the man into a vampire?

I’m sorry, cousin, but you now need blood to function. But hey, you will meet the love of your life in a few months…after I kidnap the kid from a rock festival.

It sounded absurd even to Nikola. Still, he needed to try. Strong arms wrapped around him, and he turned to look at Dimitri.

“Breakfast is ready. You have been sitting for half an hour. Good monologue, by the way. If someone told me, this, I’d punch them just a couple of times,” Dimitri kissed Nikola’s forehead and Nikola sighed.

“Just a couple?” Sarcasm dripped from Nikola’s voice as he spoke. “If someone turned me into a vampire while attempting to save me, I’d punch until there were no teeth left in the mouth.”

“Which would still be a couple. Vampires are stronger than humans, remember? And, before further proof, stronger than angels too. Seeing as I have only you and Malkav to go on,” Malkav snorted, and Dimitri felt a migraine coming on. “I can do that too, daddy. Don’t force my hand.”

Before the two began a mental fight, Nikola stood up and tugged Dimitri towards the table. They had a pleasant breakfast, with Dimitri and Nikola eating fried pig liver with onions and Malkav eating his sorbet. Then, they all washed up and piled into Dimitri’s car.

The trip to the hospital was uneventful and soon, Nikola found the room with Ivan Braginski. He was deathly pale, and Nikola immediately went to grip his hand.

“What is he thinking?” Nikola needed a way to communicate with his pseudo cousin.

“Just emotions. He is confused, currently,” supplied Malkav. He placed a single rose, from the one Nikola had resurrected, in the vase together with the dried-up sunflowers.

“Ok, hello. I think introductions are in order. My name is Nikola Asenov,”

Dimitri cleared his throat and Nikola turned to him.

“Asenov-Popescu,” supplied the literal Devil, and Nikola sighed.

“That hasn’t happened yet,” Dimitri grinned at him.

“But you don’t deny that it will happen?”

“Don’t push it, Dimitri, just, not now,” Dimitri’s smile dimmed and Nikola turned back towards the Russian.

“Anyway, I think I have a way to bring you back from your coma, but you have to promise you won’t panic. Because if you do, I don’t know what will happen,” Nikola sucked in a breath and took out a small knife.

“Are you certain you want to do this? He could end up as a vampire or something else. Something worse,” Malkav’s words echoed in Nikola’s mind, but there was no turning back. He cut his wrist and, before it could close up, he opened Ivan’s mouth and placed his wrist there.

For a moment or two, nothing happened. Then, Ivan began to suck out the blood eagerly. His purple eyes slowly opened, and he looked around wildly.

“Calm down,” commanded Nikola as he tugged at his wrist. Ivan let go, reluctantly, and he raised a bit in the bed.

“What are you?” Nikola already knew that Ivan had heard them from the videos, but to have it confirmed was somewhat astonishing.

“An angel,” said Nikola with a bright smile.

“Gospod…” Before Ivan could begin to bombard him with rapid-fire Russian, Nikola’s wrist closed itself before him and he closed his mouth. There was still blood around his lips, and Nikola noticed that his now had fangs. Great, he had created a first-generation vampire.

“If anyone asks, your clan is Malkavian,” spoke Malkav, and Ivan turned to look at him.

“What?” Came the confused reply from Ivan. This was going to be one long afternoon. Nikola just knew it.

1