Chapter 36
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 36

Sadik had gone back to the hotel, but not before he managed to get Nikola to exchange phone numbers with him. Nikola had gone straight home and had waited three hours until Dimitri and Malkav came back.

“Dimitri, we need to talk,” spoke Nikola sternly. There was no point in having this conversation with Malkav. The man couldn’t remember his reasoning’s. Had not lived through them.

“What is this about, Niki?” Dimitri went and sat by Nikola on the couch and, when he attempted to hug Nikola, the Bulgarian got out of his arms.

“You made me kill when that would have brought my beast to the surface. And you knew all about it!” Accused Nikola. Dimitri smirked at him. Why was he so calm?

“That was Malkav’s idea. As for why I killed too, my beast died when I diablerie the Devil. And you never had one, so what is the problem?” Nikola couldn’t believe Dimitri.

“The problem is that I went off the deep end regardless! I harmed people I loved,” Malkav went to sit on his other side and Nikola got out of his arms too.

“That never happened,” spoke his once sire. “You might remember, but it didn’t happen in this life. And you haven’t killed in this life anyway. So, what is the problem?”

Nikola stood up and began to pace.

“I taught Ivan to kill. To steal. He could have gone without that. And you,” he looked at Dimitri pointedly. “You taught Matthew to kill too!”

“He didn’t have a beast, Niki. He was my childe,” countered Dimitri, and Nikola looked down at his hands.

Well, that made sense, Nikola supposed. And, maybe it had also been his fault that he had never found out this small detail. But, that was probably the very first thing Malkav should have taught him.

“How is your app going?” Asked Malkav as he eyed the laptop.

“Dimitri, you haven’t asked Ivan to kill, have you?” Nikola was not going to let them change the subject.

“No. I taught him how to hunt from those who won’t make a fuss afterwards. He wants to embrace Matthew, by the way,” Nikola froze. The first time, it had been needed. Matthew could have exposed the Masquerade. Now, there was no need for it, except…

“They love each other and Ivan can walk in the sunlight. There won’t be any problems,” assured him, Dimitri. Nikola stopped his pacing to look at his two lovers.

“You are both ok with this? Ready to give him permission?” Wasn’t permission from the Prince of the city also required?

“Well, he is technically a Malkavian scion, since Malkav took him under his wing,” said Dimitri and Nikola turned to Malkav who nodded. “So, the only permission he requires is Malkav’s. And he gave it. We weren’t supposed to tell you before Matthew was told.”

“But you needed to switch the subject?” Dimitri smiled sheepishly and Nikola sighed. “I have to speak with Matthew. This is a big leap and this time, he is not proclaimed dead.”

“True, but he will tell you he wants this,” Dimitri rose from his seat and offered his hand to Nikola. Nikola slipped his in Dimitri’s warm hand and let himself be hugged.  “An eternal love sounds dreamy to the young.”

“Speaking of love, do you think I am ready to meet my spider again?” Nikola sounded hopeful as Dimitri sighed.

“He was always your favorite,” there was an accusation in his voice, and it was Nikola’s turn to sigh.

“He is all alone, Dimitri. I don’t want for him to carry the weight of his past alone,” of Vasilisa didn’t want him, then, that was fine. But he needed to attempt to approach him without wanting to kill him. This time.

“We can go to Russia when you are ready,” promised Dimitri. Nikola turned to Malkav, and he felt that slight nudge in his mind. The same he got every time Malkav was looking at his memories.

“He is beautiful,” was the only thing Malkav said. Then, after a bit of keeping silent, he added. “Too beautiful. We can’t compare.”

“I didn’t love you less when I was with Vasilisa,” assured them both, Nikola. “And my love for you won’t change.”

His promise was something the two told him they will hold him to. They left for Russia the very next day. Ivan had made trips back home at least three times by now. Nikola had left him with programming books to go through that would, hopefully, help him with his app.

Not that money were a problem anymore. Nikola had made five million sales in the past twenty-four hours alone. One dollar each and after taxes he still had plenty of money left over.

He was thinking of continuing to make apps he knew of would be a hit in the future. No kindred would begrudge him that, and he would make fewer enemies than when he had gotten in the land owning business, like during his last life. If it hadn’t been for Flavius’s careful maneuverings, he would have ended up staked long before Sadik killed him the first time.

Sadik had been disappointed that Nikola had not taken him to Russia, but had told him he would call him every day. They spoke about nothing in particular, and Nikola figured he could attempt to hook him back up with Elizabeta. She would put all attempts on the Turk’s side to woo Nikola to an end.

The problem was that Elizabeta was still in the university and with Roderich. Nikola didn’t want to break them apart, but, maybe if he did, Roderich would live longer?

They made it to Moscow and from there it was a train ride after a train ride to the Lena river and the Arctic Ocean. Once again, Nikola had wandered aimlessly along the river, but this time, he had Dimitri and Malkav to keep him company.

Malkav had to be fed by both Dimitri and Nikola, and the two who could actually eat were living off the land. It was winter, but there were plenty of animals to be cooked. Then, while Nikola was dressing a rabbit for dinner, he heard a childish lullaby in Russian. Vasilisa had found them. Nikola grinned and placed the knife down. Finally.     

1