Prequel 1: The Orphan
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prequel chapters exist because progress needs to be made from the start, but interesting things only barely start happening when the protagonist can talk.

You can skip these chapters if you are confident you can infer the power systems, which while I plan to go in depth, are similar enough to other systems to be self explanatory for avid fantasy readers.

The prequels may be rough at the time of posting because revisions have been made across chapters and some may not have made all the necessary changes

Please let me know if any inconsistencies arise or if my writing style is not to your liking. Keep in mind that I made these chapters optional due to their nature.

I lay in a basket amongst rows of others. These baskets all contain babies, myself included. I have apparently been reincarnated, isekai style. I may sound calm about this, but only because there is a strange influence on the room preventing unrest.

What I remember is being left the doorstep of an orphanage next to another baby by a strange woman I can only assume is my mother. Judging by how thin she is, I don't blame her.

Later we were taken in and tested by a dignified looking man. He placed a finger upon my belly and I felt a strange sensation. Afterwards he did the same for the other baby. He placed a white stone on the other baby's basket and left. Later we were separated. Afterwards I was taken here.

Right now I am laying on my back, embarrassed but bored. They breastfeed us upon request, but I have yet to feel hungry. Sometimes they speak, but I don't recognize the language. There is no entertainment.

In my boredom, I focus on what the dignified man did to me. Upon focusing I discover a weird organ in my belly just below the skin. That's strange. What is even stranger is that I know what it is. It is my dantian, an organ designed to produce and store qi.I inspected further, looking into my dantian to discover that:

  1. My dantian is clogged and barely functioning
  2. There is a network of channels connected to my dantian called meridians
  3. All meridians had points along them that connected to the outside world call acupuncture points, or acupoints for short.
  4. Every inch of everything mentioned is just as clogged as my dantian.

What is really weird is that I know how to fix it. By moving my limbs a certain way I can force out the atmospheric mana and draw in comparable qi. But first I have to determine the qi that I can use. 

Within the atmosphere, the qi consists of different varieties of human qi, skewed both towards yin and youthful qi. Am I still male? Sensing my meridian network I see a branch in that rough shape so probably. I can't move my head yet to check. Fortunately the yin qi is motherly, so I can still use it for now. Due to the sample size I don't have to worry about balance.

I stretch out my arm to make a grabbing motion. Normally this would accomplish nothing because my arm is not yet developed enough for fine movement, but, by the same measure, I am too young for any of the mana to harden, so enough mana came out to restore qi flow to the tip of my thumb, not that much can flow. I repeat these exercises with the rest of my limbs and take a nap. I have a long wait ahead of me.

Qi is designed to be exclusive to the body itself. Qi can alter the body in strictly mundane physical ways (strength, regeneration, endurance, etc.) Fantastic effects are produced almost entirely by other energy sources. Later levels of qi starts making changes to the body. From start to finish these changes are: poison resistance, muscular shifting, bone shifting, and genetic tampering. Not to be confused with Jing, which will loosely mean nutrition. Should any of the physical changes mentioned happen without the required jing, the body will tear itself apart for resources.

0