3.1 A cold night
99 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up, the sky still a pure pitch-black, not a cloud or star in sight. Warm sweat stuck to my shirt in front of my chest, having been heated up by the warmth of her huddled up against me, while my back felt the opposite, having been exposed to the ice cold temperatures all night.

She laid next to me, softly breathing in her sleep, her head bobbing up and down rhythmically from my chest upwards to my neck. Everywhere I felt her she was warm to the touch. I couldn't say the same for myself, as I was shivering since the moment I woke up, or perhaps already prior to that. The fact half my body's drenched with sweat isn't helping either.

I gently stroked her hair as to not wake her up. The sudden touch startled her, she quietly murmured something before suddenly fidgeting her body around, nudging her body deeper into my embrace, effectively turning me into a blanket for her.

"Mm~"

A relaxed hum escaped her mouth. She probably wasn't having any nightmares, though just to be certain she felt comforable I gently caressed her arm. Her breathing turned slower and deeper with each pat and stroke, as she relaxed into her new position.

I couldn't help but smile, both at the strange comfort I felt as well as the absurdity of the situation. Don't think I can tell anyone I know about what happened without being looked at like a madman. 'Oh yeah, one day I got kicked out of the house, decided to drink myself into a blackout and next thing I know I got this cute, tall chick around my neck who keep meowing and purring. Even has cat ears and a tail to boot.' If someone told me that I'd definitely be calling an ambulance, maybe ask if they've been taking their meds.

I can't even tell whether what I have done in the heat of the moment constitutes as a crime, if she'd be considered more of an animal or a human or categorized as something different entirely. Still, I can't say that question bothers me much personally, so I can't really find it in me to regret it.  I'm already plenty happy just being able to feel her sleep next to me. I wouldn't have been able to dream about someone meeting this normally, much less now that I have nothing left.

It's something I'll have to think about as well. Sure, I had a bit of money to get through today, but what I'll be able to do tomorrow is beyond me. Already spent everything on beer. Still, somehow, I got a feeling that with her I'll be able to get something to work. If I can't, then at least I gotta make sure she'll be in a good spot after I'm gone. If I keep that in mind the freezing cold, the wind, the rain, I'll be able to handle all of it.

Surprisingly however she seems to be sleeping quite deeply despite the only things to cover her with being my stomach and the jacket I gave her. I still don't understand what's keeping her with me. It's only a detriment to her, and I'm sure there are better options for her than a guy who's basically on his last legs in life. Better yet, I got no idea still how I even met her at all, and what's making her like me enough to stick around. I wonder if she'd even be able to tell me, though.

I ruminated on such matters for a while, all the while idly playing around with her long, silken hair. The sun slowly rose from the horizon, piercing the dark of the night. I propped myself up against the brick wall behind me carefully as to not wake her up, while letting her head settle in my lap. The warm sun hitting the right side my face and shoulder helped with dealing with the cold a little. All the while I kept stroking her hair while thinking about where to go from here.

Any direction would be fine. I don't know this place well, and I don't have anywhere to go, so may as well scout out the place and go from there. I also got to find a way to get food and drinks, quickly. I'll have to discuss that when she wakes up how to go about it. I doubt begging would do much but bring unwanted attention. Maybe in another country it'd be an option, but here it'd be disgraceful. Nobody would want to help a person like that.

Before I could think too deeply about it, I felt something touch my hand. When looking down, she already had one eye half open, with her hand clasped around mine.

"Hope you slept well." I said while caressing her cheek, as she gave me a sweet smile in return.

1