Chapter 26: A council of Talents
147 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A giant table stood to be the sole prominent furniture in an empty room. This table spanned meters. On each side of the table, there were 4 chairs. At the top middle, there stood the kings chair, and right beside the king, a chair for the Keins. At the very bottom of the table, there was an empty chair, but no one paid mind to it.

Each chair was filled by a man. They had all sat upon their small stone excuses for a chair. One man with greying hair was reaching the age of 90. His eyebrows had slumped over his face in a very nice shade of white. His robes remained all black and gold, still opting to retain some semblance of importance. - Ergan- his name was written on his corner of the table.

The man that sat next to him was Erronil. His hair was also beginning to grey. -Marks of an experienced man. Despite his grey hairs, his muscle composition was in top shape. He had a body brimming with youthfulness. However, perhaps more intimidating than his muscular body was his atrocious eyebrows.

Next to Erronil, stood Berian. Berian was a rather muscular man.- Similar to Erronil. The only difference, was that he was much shorter than Erronil, and much younger. The man only reached a staggering 4ft, so he couldn't help but stand up in order to see over the table.

On his left was Reon. The tall white haired vixxen. Perhaps she was the only female to be sitting amongst the table. Her hair stretched to her back in a wild manner. Giving her the appearance of a lion. She smiled half-heartedly with her fingers to her lips.

Paralel from her, Oreimi sat. His light blue eyes seemed to shine a light in this room of darkness. His long robe covered most of his figure. It was clearly much larger than he was so it was hard to tell how big he was. The man looked no older than 25.

Next to Oreimi, was the other old man, Haeri. Haeri yawned and feigned sleep. He was balding greatly. The last time they had a meeting like this was 15 years ago. To think he would see everyone else in such a state. Age had certainly hit them hard.

That being said...there were plenty of new faces. The young ones huh, time surely does move forward relentlessly. He could see various new faces. Reon, Erronil... it seems there was one more on his own side as well. The man to the farthest of him was.

Kawa... what an odd name these new generations are bringing in. Kawa was but 15 years old in appearance. What was the king thinking- a child could not possibly lead a precinct! Who in the world is he? How did he get into this position?

"Heh. Seems we're all just here" Oreimi spoke. He yawned again. In the past few years, he had been getting quite restless. Perhaps at some point in the next council, he would find himself being replaced by a much younger prototype.

"I see that some of you are quite new here. So, please do remain silent, and let the experienced ones do all the talking."

The next to answer him was Reon. "Ahhh, please old man, Nyaows not the time to talk about that kind of nut measuring."

There was a burst of abrupt laughter from Oreimi and the other old man parallel to him. "You young'uns continue to lack respect. Do not confuse old age for lack of ability."

"And don't confuse young age for ignorance." She mocked him and stuck her tongue out. Nyaaa~

"That's enough. Both of you. This is not how council members should behave." The man that said that was surprisingly the youngest one in the room, Kawa.

His stiffness was that of a damn uptight asshole.

The duo were about to protest when suddenly, the doors burst open, and the king walked in. "The council has begun." He said, without further ado.

He walked and took place on his throne before clasping his hands together. "I trust that you all have wondered why I'd brought you all here."

Kawa raised his hand like a polite school kid. "Um..forgive me if this question is stupid, your highness...but is the Keins not supposed to be present during these meetings?"

He had heard many stories of the Keins' masterful experience and insight. To be honest, he'd have been disappointed to learn that the Keins was not here yet.

"No. The Keins had opted not to participate." The King spoke. Of course, that in itself was a lie.

 

Oreimi and Erronil and Ergan, shot the king a sharp glance. In all their years, they had never heard of the Keins not showing up to a council meeting.

"Your highness.." Ereimi spoke. "I trust that you know not to meddle in affairs of beings such as the Keins?"

The king's displeasure rested well on his face at such a statement and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"I know not to try and engage the Keins in games. But this one is truly different. He did not wish to show to such a meeting."

This was an impossiblity. There had not been a single Keins, no matter the age, to skip out on these meetings. They were very cognizant beings. They eerily never acted variant from each other. If one were to know the first Keins and continue down the generations...

They all acted much the same as the first. It was a perpexing oddity. Perhaps they were gods after-all. Their wisdom knew no bounds.

"Then let me be the fist to speak..." Ergan stood up and began to say something. "If this meeting is not important enough for the Keins, then I am clearly not need-"

"-DO NOT DARE! DEFY THE THRONE!"

The king burst out in rage. Rage that none of the others had not witnessed before.

"MOVE FROM YOUR SEAT AND YOU SHALL BE OSTRACIZED!"

Everyone froze. They were not expecting such an outburst from their king.

"y-your highness.."

He huffed from atop his throne. "I will not accept insolent defiance." His voice calmed just slightly.

"I am your king. I am also the one who had called this council. Anyone who disapproves may leave this council room along with their post. As I'm sure you've already learned, there are plenty of younger talent capable of replacing you all."

At that, Reon smiled gleefully, letting out a small "Fufufufuf.." laugh. The older Oreimi could only cast a sharp glare at the child.

Kawa took the moment of silence to speak up. "Sir. I apologize on the behalf of my compatriots. We are both ignorant of the true situation."

He bowed onto one knee before them all. "So, if I may implore you, please do enlighten us fools."

The king looked at the sincerety of the man/child before him and nodded his head. This had calmed him down significantly. To see that the child had much more appreciation for regalty than even his head knights was astounding.

But nonetheless, it gave him hope for the future. Perhaps he can replace all the older generals with the new generation.

"V-very well. I'll begin with the most important information you all have to hear."

Everyone stood still, waiting patiently.

"Our hold on Sei'O has fallen."

This was news that cought everyone by surprise. The information made them all visibly and audibly surprised.

"I-is that why general Valen is absent?" Ergan said regarding the empty chair at the opposite end of the king.

The king nodded. "Valen had fallen victim to the rebellion in Sei'O"

The short Berian was the next to speak up. "Excuse me if I"m imposing, my King...but how exactly did Valen die. He had 3,000 forces at his disposal. Even he was not dumb enough to engage at the front lines."

The king sighed. "There are important details you must all hear beforehand."

They all waited attentively to hear what the king would say.

"Out of the 3,000...none of them survived, but one."

The eyes of everyone widened. HOW? 3,000 dead and no survivors including lord Valen? this had to be some sort of joke. There's no way. I was an impossibility.

"Furthermore..."

"It is said the one who slew all three thousand, was but a single plague child."

"Bullshit!" Erronil stood up, slamming his fists onto the table.

"I'm sorry, but your reports have to be wrong." Ergan said as well.

"Your highness...as much as that could be possible...something is off about that report," Kawa spoke. He was too shy to try and point out the King's mistake.

Reon simply scoffed and locked eyes with Oreimi. They both affirmed that something was off about the incident. There's no way that one person slew 3,000 people and then killed Lord Valen before he could escape.

Such a man feat was only possible for the Silver Knight and the rest of his relatives. Those freaks lived at the furthest corner from Baerim and held good relations to the country.

Haeri, the old man spoke for the first time since this meeting. He had seemed uninterested in it all. After all, nothing interesting has happened in the council of 10 for quite a while.

"Nothing is impossible in the world of magic and relic wielders."

He exhaled. "I've known too many legendary comrades to die to no-name upstarts. This world continues to push new talent. If you doubt the power before you, you'll fall victim to it."

Everyone looked at the lazy Haeri.

"So what do you expect us to do old man?"

"Enough!" the king spoke. "No matter how powerful he is, he cannot stand the full might of Baerim's military."

"This is why I gathered you all here tonight. Under the king's decree, I order you all to gather all soldiers and knights of capability. I will raze Sei'O to the ground through sheer and overwhelming force!"

"We cannot allow the dogs such as Sei'O to think they are superior. Imagine if word got out to Lakia!"

The king slammed his fist into the desk with enough force to rattle the marble. "I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!"

Everyone there felt the kings conviction. They were slowly turning towards the tides of war. No...whats going to occur was a massacre. The people of Sei'O will regret ever slighting Baerim in such a manner.

 

3