Foreword
83 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Foreword

 

Hello there, and welcome! Thank you so much for your interest in A Drink Before Battle.

It was originally titled A Drink Before The War, which I stole from the Sinead O'Connor song of the same title, but another more famous novel had also done that, so I switched it up a bit. (Lesson learned. Always google your titles, kids.) I'm still not completely sold on A Drink Before Battle, but it's either that or Two Generals Walk Into A Gay Bar (which would be in keeping with that time-honored tradition of BL webnovels having a ridiculous title and then being all angst and heartbreaking drama and deep moral discourse.)

This story is partially inspired by the many Danmei stories I’ve read in which one of the main characters is a general. I love that trope, but always thought it would be fun if they were both generals.

Although still in the weeds of my much longer project, Salvage, I began writing this one on a whim in order to practice both intimate scenes and fighting scenes (which is why, although much shorter, ADBB has many more of both than Salvage will). Setting the story in the same world as Salvage also allowed me to dig a bit deeper into my world-building.

You can imagine my surprise when this turned into a solid story all on its own merit, and I am quite pleased with the outcome (and quite pleased at actually finishing something 😅).

I’m also quite pleased with the reception it’s gotten from so many lovely readers. Here are a few reviews and comments from across platforms:

From Scribblehub

“I love this. The world-building is done in the context of the story, without boring info-dumps, and the author creates a rich and diverse world. The romance is a slow-burn, with one more reluctant than the other. Their chemistry is spot on, and the steamy scenes red hot - romantic erotica rather than smut. Pacing is good, and the events of the story unfold logically. Writing is descriptive without being flowery or descending into purple prose.” -review by RavenRunes (go read her stories too, they are brilliant!)

From Wattpad

“I found the dynamic between the various relationships and especially our main fluffballs to have been very solid - very found-family-esque in that it was equally wholesome and validating and not at all in a contrived sense.” -comment by CoffeeSpecs

“Yay! It's soooo good. Easy to read, flows well, characters have their own personalities. Ahh I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I loved Sevei and Yeresym together” -comment by DaisyGirl689

From Inkitt

Excellent story

"The book is romance, magic and action all at once. The characters were so well developed that I feel like I’ve just spent time with these people.” -review by Elbeth_2468

Beautifully written!

"Really enjoying this story so far! Interesting world building and great characters that are easy to get quickly invested in. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!" -review by Jenny

 

A Quick Disclaimer

This is a work of fiction set in a pre-industrial fantasy world and I have not delineated any safe sex practices in the narrative. IRL, you only have one body, so please take care of it. Our modern world has developed many tools for keeping ourselves safe and healthy. For resources, please visit this page at Planned Parenthood.

My stories are free and always will be. I don't write them for money, they are just my contribution to the world of things. If you enjoy them and feel moved to give back, please consider making a donation to Planned Parenthood, The Trevor Project, Outright International, or directly to a local sexual health or LGBTQ+ support center in your area (but please do research them first to be certain they provide legitimate support).

 

And now, without further ado-

Two generals walk into a gay bar...

 

 

2