30: Dark Dreams
112 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

30: Dark Dreams

 

 

 

Sevei's morning tea was served with an inconvenient message from the Lord Protector of Valesk: the King would send an emissary to meet with the Crown Prince of Brinland in Tharlburg. Both Generals were ordered to attend. Presumably, the Generals of the downriver Brinnish units would be there as well.

Sevei glared at the official seal on the page, tossing it irritably onto the table under his tent awning. Maybe it was just his hangover talking, but he wasn't sure he could stomach whatever bad ideas the royals of both countries might cook up. Especially not if they might interfere with certain plans.

As he sat down, he squinted into the brightening sun outside and beckoned to Meira, having her own tea with Nal in front of Urskatha's tent.

“Is he up yet?” Sevei asked when she came over, bringing her cup along.

“Lieutenant Thelan gave him a rather strong sleeping draught last night,” she answered, taking a seat. “Not that it helped much.”

Sevei looked at her questioningly.

“Since Anwynd, he's been prone to dark dreams,” Meira said quietly. “I'm afraid our discussions gave him a bad night.”

Sevei looked across the courtyard guiltily, and nodded.

“Well, let him sleep for now. This will still be here when he wakes.”

He pushed the letter across the table towards her and refilled their cups as she read it.

“I can't imagine he'd want to be seen by royalty in his state,” Sevei said. “Think he'll be alright by tomorrow?”

“He was much steadier on his feet last night.”

“Good to hear. If we're going into town, I thought I might stop in to see Kyrzhan and ensure that your arrangements are still in place. If Yeresym would come with me, it might reassure him.”

“I'll convince him,” Meira smiled, “and I'll come along as well. I'm quite eager to meet your good friend.”

“I should send a message today, let Kyri know to expect us. I don't suppose one of your people could just pop over there with it? To his shop on the high street, of course. They'll see that he gets it.”

“Write a note. I'll find someone.”

“Well,” Sevei said through a yawn, rolling his shoulders back, “I suppose I should get to planning for the actual business, now that we've got our personal plans sorted.”

Meira reached forward and grasped his hand as he went for his teacup again.

“Thank you,” she said with a meaningful gaze. “I don't know if I could really do this without your help.”

Sevei squeezed her small hand and sighed deeply.

“I certainly will miss you, though.”

 


 

As noon arrived with still no stirring from his fellow General, Sevei carried a freshly-brewed pot of strong tea sweetened with honey across the command courtyard. Since waking from his coma, Yeresym probably hadn't had anything not laced with foul-tasting medicines. It wasn't an overly dramatic gesture, but perhaps it would do for an opening peace offering.

“General Urskatha?” he called, slipping himself along with the tray through the tent flap. Inside, the tent was quiet, and the air was heavy with the warmth of the sun glowing through the white canvas. A muffled groan came from the direction of the small camp bed.

Sevei took the tray to the bedside table and peered into the heap of blankets on the bed. Only the back of Yeresym's head was visible between the pillow and the quilt's edge, his silver-gold hair mussed and tangled, but still shining in the muted light.

“Not getting up today?” Sevei laughed.

“Fall back...” Yeresym mumbled.

“I'm just bringing tea,” Sevei said defensively, “and news. Come on, it's almost lunchtime.”

“Ennekh... I'll explain.”

“Hmm?” Sevei raised a curious eyebrow. He leaned over Yeresym and tugged the quilt down a bit to uncover his head.

Yeresym's face was flushed red, with locks of his hair plastered to his sweating brow. Shifting beneath the quilt fretfully, he suddenly grabbed Sevei's wrist.

“Get them to cover,” he rasped. “Stay down and wait for me.”

Sevei's heart staggered. He shook his hand in Yeresym's grasp.

“Yeresym, wake up,” he said gently.

Yeresym only held on fiercely and heaved a convulsing breath, choking as a stream of tears began to flow from the corner of his eye and over the bridge of his nose.

Sevei's stomach was gnawed with worry. No matter how strong that sleeping draught was, surely it must have worn off by now?

“I'm sorry...” Yeresym whispered. “It's my fault... all mine. Ennekh... I'm sorry...”

Sevei dropped onto his side behind Yeresym, pushed his free arm under him, and held him tightly.

“Yeresym, wake up,” he said again into his ear. “It's just a dream. You're safe now. That's all over.”

Yeresym settled down after a moment, relaxing into Sevei's arms. His face turned back, and he peered at Sevei hazily through barely-open eyes, then hummed contentedly as his eyes closed and his head dropped again.

Then Sevei heard a sharp intake of breath, and Yeresym looked back again, his gaze sharper now. He scowled.

“Go away,” Yeresym groused. He made no move to extract himself from Sevei's embrace, or to push him off the narrow bed.

“If I do, will you be alright now?”

“I'm fine.”

Sevei only held him more tightly.

“Who did you lose at Anwynd?” he asked quietly. “You said 'brothers', but there was someone special... wasn't there?”

Yeresym shifted his shoulder off of Sevei's arm, only to lay his head down in its place.

“They were all special,” he said in a hopeless tone.

“I've wondered for a while," Sevei murmured, keeping his voice soft. "Your fears have seemed a bit... overblown perhaps. But if it already happened-”

“I don't want to talk about this,” Yeresym snapped.

“Mm,” Sevei conceded.

He yawned, then nuzzled his forehead into Yeresym's damp hair. “Let's just nap awhile, then.”

Yeresym glanced back with annoyance. “You can't sleep here.”

“You're right about that,” Sevei chuckled. “My ass is hanging off the edge. Why is your bed so small?”

“It's plenty of room for me,” Yeresym retorted.

“Well, you're always welcome in my bed.”

“Is your indecency never exhausted?”

“I'm not suggesting anything indecent," Sevei protested. "Just a companionable invitation -and it's always open. You can even portal right into my tent anytime you like. I won't mind.”

Yeresym scoffed lightly, but Sevei thought he detected a laugh hidden beneath it, and he settled himself further back into Sevei's arms.

“Tomorrow night, the Crown Prince of Brinland is meeting with an emissary from our King in Tharlburg,” Sevei told him. “We've been summoned to dinner with them.”

“Ugh.”

“That's what I said. Will you be up for it? I could just take Thelan...”

“No, I'm getting better.”

“Good. I want to go early and meet with Kyri first. I think it would do your worries some good to hear what he has planned for Meira.”

“You mean if you don't get her killed first?” Yeresym said sourly.

“That's not going to happen,” Sevei insisted, tightening his arms around Yeresym again. “Believe me, this will not be a repeat of last time. You weren't ready for him then, but you are now-”

Yeresym tensed. “Stop talking like I'm some kind of coward,” he hissed. “I'm not afraid to fight him.”

“No, I don't think that at all,” Sevei protested. “But I am afraid that you've envisioned some sort of mutual death scenario with him, and I'd really prefer that not happen. He's not your sole responsibility, and I don't know if you've noticed, but you've managed to gather up a team of very competent people who are just as good at what they do as you are at what you do. We're going to kill that son of a bitch – all together. This plan will work, but we need you, Yeresym, all in. It will be more dangerous for all of us if you're on the fence.”

Yeresym went silent, staring across the tent for a long moment. Then he shook his head and tsked.

“So persistent,” he muttered.

“Isn't that what you love about me?” Sevei chuckled.

Yeresym suddenly broke out of his arms, turned around, and kissed Sevei hard, pressing him backward until he toppled off the edge of the bed. Sevei's ass met the floor with a thud that made the bedside table jump, rattling the tea service. Sevei laughed out loud.

“Oh, yes, I brought you some tea,” he pointed out. “Not a drop of medicine in it... but it's probably cold now.”

Yeresym glanced at the table with a sigh.

“General!”

They both jumped, Yeresym pulling the quilt up around himself, as Thelan lifted the tent flap and swept inside without waiting for an invitation. Sevei got slowly to his feet, rubbing his backside for a moment before realizing that might not look right.

Thelan looked between them, both now sporting shamefaced expressions, and rolled her eyes dismissively.

“General Sevei, Mister Damah has requested that you meet tomorrow in his shop, and steer clear of the Aviary during your trip,” Thelan reported.

Both Generals' expressions shifted at once, Yeresym narrowing his eyes in suspicion and Sevei becoming uncomfortably flustered.

“You...” Sevei stammered, “You took the note?”

“I spoke with him at the Aviary,” Thelan said casually. “It's an important matter.”

Yeresym ground his jaw.

“Is there anyone who doesn't know... everything?” he growled.

“Calm down,” Sevei reassured him. “Thelan is... part of the family.”

“Great,” Yeresym snapped.

“I don't care about your personal business,” Thelan shrugged. “I care about Meira's safety.”

Yereym's brow shot up.

“And your health,” Thelan added. “Let me check you over.”

Yeresym gave Sevei an eyeful of demand for answers, but Sevei was lost in his own discomposure.

“Did he say why we should stay away?” he mused.

Thelan shook her head. “Only that it's not secure just now. He wouldn't elaborate.”

“Hm.”

With worries for Kyri now added to his worries for everyone else, Sevei left Yeresym to his check-up and wandered outside, deep in thought, to find something for the resurgence of his hangover.

 

7