9: Is That What You Think? (NSFW)
266 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

9: Is That What You Think?

 

 

 

Kahan...”

“My name is Yeresym.”

“Now, that is a beautiful name. Fitting for such a beautiful face.”

Sevei pressed his chest to Kahan... Yeresym's back, their bare skin infused with heat everywhere they touched. He slid his hands down... Yeresym's sides, grasped his hips and pulled them back, grinding himself against those solid buttocks. Low, mocking laughter sounded from the other man.

“You should have done that when you had the chance.”

“I'll do it now,” Sevei murmured against his shoulder, teasing the tip of his tongue over skin that tasted very faintly of coppery blood. The man in his arms suddenly disappeared.

Sevei felt as if he were spinning around, and a split second later, came face to face again with Kahan... Yeresym... damn it.

“Is that what you think?” Yeresym said softly. He advanced, and Sevei was pushed back until he unexpectedly sat down on something behind him.

Those eyes had caught him again. They seemed to glow with a flickering green fire, as if they had the northern lights dancing around within them. He couldn't look away. He needed to look away. This was... General Urskatha... his colleague. Kahan... no, Kahan was a completely different person, right? This person... this mind-numbingly intoxicating person...

...was pushing his legs apart and inserting himself between them. Yeresym entered him, fitting himself inside Sevei with very slow deliberation.

“Ahh...” Sevei moaned in ecstasy as Yeresym grasped his hips in his vice-like hands and began to move in an almost lazy and casual rhythm, all the while staring into his soul from above with icy indifference.

Sevei touched Yeresym's fingers on his hip and pulled at them.

“Put your hand on me,” he pleaded.

“Do it yourself,” the other said dismissively.

Sevei scowled with dissatisfaction, but obeyed, taking hold of his own member and sliding his fingers along the length as Yeresym continued his languid invasion.

There was something missing.

“It's not enough,” Sevei panted. “I need... your hands... I can't forget...”

“It's best that you do.”

 

Sevei's eyes peeked open. His hand was in his trousers, slowly working himself over. The sun was already lighting up the white canvas of his tent. The camp outside was alive with calling voices and rushing business and so much clanging metal. Someone was hammering something somewhere nearby.

Best make this quick. He sped up his movements, and peered to his left, grabbing a small towel from the bedside table to catch the mess he was about to make. He got the towel in place just in time.

Struggling to control his labored breathing, he choked back a moan that knotted painfully in his throat. He squeezed his eyes shut, and the darkness in his mind seemed alive with green fire. As all the tension fled his body and he settled down into a warm and fuzzy haze, almost wanting to fall asleep again, he remembered lying nose to nose with Kahan – no, General Urskatha.

Shit. Get it together, Vei.

He lay staring at the ceiling of the tent, at some shadows made by fallen leaves against the white canvas.

They'd been in camp for a few days now. Sevei hadn't seen much of Urskatha recently, save for a few fleeting glimpses of the man coming and going from his tent across the courtyard. The day after their arrival, there'd been a silent and very awkward ride to the port to meet with the Brins, during which he learned that Sergeant Kahan was not Urskatha's second. There were four more Alchemists, which made sense. It was the Martial Line after all; couldn't be a line with only one Alchemist. The General's second was one of them, a Lieutenant Thelan, and he was the creepiest of all of them – too quiet, and seemed to be in some kind of dream-daze half the time. No one ever saw him around camp, which suited the Third Cavalry just fine.

It was just fine not seeing much of Urskatha either. Sevei had been kept busy in these days with settling his soldiers in, welcoming incoming troops, and making sure their camp was set up for a potentially long campaign. At least it was springtime. Plenty of time to plan if they might still be here come winter. Small blessing. He couldn't imagine having to be here that long, not with... that person. At least three times a day, he considered writing to the Lord Protector of Valesk to request reassignment, but what excuse could he make? He certainly couldn't tell the truth.

He felt a headache coming on. The temperature of the tent told him that morning was well underway. The air in here would become stifling in another hour if he didn't open some flaps. That wouldn't do a headache any good. He and Yanek had joined some soldiers at a small campfire last night for a few drinks. He didn't think he'd overindulged, but Yanek must have though differently if he let Sevei sleep this late.

He dragged himself out of bed and over to the table, which was set with tea. It had been there awhile now, and had long gone cold. Sevei could only hope that nothing embarrassing had been happening when it was brought in. He downed a cup, then threw on a cloak, gathered up his bathing kit, and stepped out into the bright day. Yanek was approaching his own tent, next to Sevei's.

“Hey!” he called. “Let me grab my stuff and I'll join you!”

There were four safe swimming holes along the riverbank nearby, and they had already picked their favorite. It had a shallow area with a bank of flattish rocks underwater suitable for sitting, and for most of the day the sun hit them just right to warm the chilly water some. It was still spring, after all, and every time Sevei stepped into the cold water, he had a longing remembrance of Kyrzhan's bathtub.

After washing, he sat on the rocks and leaned back on his hands, closed his eyes, and turned his face up into the bright sun. There weren't many others in the hole just now, and the chirping of birds and the gentle lapping of water gave him a moment of peace. That peace was broken by the voices of the others rising.

“General!”

Sevei opened his eyes. Urskatha stood on the bank, wrapped in a black cloak and carrying a basket, his pale hair glowing in the sun. Their eyes met for a long moment, then Urskatha turned around and left. Sevei released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Yanek swam over to join him, hoisting himself onto a higher rock and giving Sevei a splash.

“I want a bathtub,” Sevei complained.

“Turning into one of those Generals, hmm?”

“It doesn't have to be fancy. And I'd share it. We could use it to reward the men who get the shit work. 'Do a good job, get a hot bath.'”

“There's an idea,” Yanek said. They sat in silence for a while. Yanek seemed to have something on his mind, shifting uncomfortably on the rocks. “So...” he finally said in a loaded tone.

Sevei waited for the shoe to drop.

“Kahan, huh?” Yanek supplied, keeping his voice low.

“Hmm?” Sevei replied, eyeing him sideways. “What about her?”

“The mess attendant who took your tea in this morning heard you say her name in your sleep.”

Sevei very carefully did not react. “It's not like that,” he answered.

“I didn't think it would be, but he said it in front of a half-dozen others, so there might be talk.”

“Great. Well, let them talk. If it becomes a problem with the other camp, I'll set them straight.” Sevei scratched at his jaw. He needed a shave. He'd order some hot water when they got back. He glanced at Yanek, who still watched him closely. “I just had some crazy dreams last night. Nightmares, really. It's not like that.”

“I know,” Yanek said smugly. “Because she's your colleague, right?”

“Right...”

“She's also an empath.”

What?!” Sevei's scruffy jaw fell open. “You didn't think to lead with that?”

The air in his lungs turned cold. He thought back to all those odd glances between her and Urskatha the day they'd arrived, all of her cryptic remarks. They all made sense now. If Sergeant Kahan was an empath, that meant she could tell what he was feeling, what Urskatha was feeling. That meant she knew...

“Fuck...” he breathed. “Just how many different kinds of weirdos does that unit need to have? Do you think he brought her in to spy for him, then?”

“Or for his own fun,” Yanek speculated. “You know about those noble families and their empaths?”

“Yeah,” Sevei sneered with distaste. “They're slaves.”

“Slavery is illegal,” Yanek answered with a tsk.

“Riiight,” Sevei countered.

“Those two do seem awfully close.”

“No... I don't think that's...”

Sevei was having a really hard time getting his head around this. If what Yanek was suggesting was true, then why...? Well, there were people who liked both, right? And only the Gods knew what those nobles really got up to. He avoided Yanek's gaze. He certainly couldn't tell him what he knew.

“When did you turn into such a gossip?” he said suddenly, standing up out of the water. “Come on. We're just burning daylight here. There's work to do.”

 

8