36 – Greed for strength
553 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They're next to the boss room now. I spent almost all my dungeon's mana points, leaving me with 300 barely keeping the dungeon running to create that monster, and managed to summon a level 60 griffon. If that doesn't stop them then they'll be coming here meaning I'll be fighting them. I honestly don't want to fight them as I am now. Mostly because I don't want to die or be enslaved to their bidding, but also because I am not ready to kill just yet.

I understand that I must if I want to survive, as this dungeon's system requires the mana of other beings to fuel itself. In many ways such as making them use magic, making them stay in the dungeon, and the most efficient way, killing them…

What a trouble this has become, if only I hadn't asked to become a dungeon master then this wouldn't have happened. If only I had asked to be reborn in a normal wealthy family and lived a normal fulfilled life as a head farmer or something…

Too late to regret it now, they have entered the boss room. My life and future will now depend on that Griffon and if not, then myself.

Log: 15,000 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 1,000 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Log: 500 mana has been added to the bank

Bank currently has 21,800 mana points

Wha-!?

I thought that it is about time for five hours to pass and get my mana points, but what the heck was that!? That was like half of what I got from the initial awakening! Wait, was it that celestial vampire's fault?

No, I'll think about it later. Now that I have got the mana points I might stand a chance… I can't just let myself be beaten. My new life has just started, you know!? As if I'll lose it here! I still have much to live for! I am yet to fall in love and marry a wife! Or raise a child together with her! Since this is another world, I could maybe even marry multiple wives! There's so much to do and I am doing them all before I can let myself die.

Now that I think about such things and noticed it, that Celestial Vampire chick is quite cute. She's right up my alley except that she's too small to be mistaken for a child. Maybe if I beat them here, I could demand to offer her to me in exchange for their lives…

Well, that is thinking that I win against them, but it is not bad to have dreams. Even more, now that I might lose the chance to do so… Now that I am motivated, let's do this! Either I lose and die here or I get myself a loli wife! Let's do this!

*****

"This is a boss room. Alright, I'll be doing the commanding. That said, children are to stay here outside since those who have entered cannot open the door again unless the boss is beaten. But doing so will reset the boss and heal it. So for that, the children that will be staying outside will be our insurance because you can open it, got it? This is also to keep you safe as you are quite weak compared to us," Blake profoundly explained to which Wallack and his friends agreed.

"Okay, next. See that little gap under that huge door? It should be enough to fit in even a thick rope. We will be tying a rope on one of you guys' wrists and will pull on it in case a problem arises. Understood? We can also hear each other through the door, but this will allow us to tell you guys faster since we will likely be far away from the door," He finished and did as he just said.

"Won't the rope be torn when it gets hit by something? Fire for example," I asked.

"Worry not, this is actually a commonly known strategy, so special kinds of ropes such as this one are made to withstand powerful spells or traumas. The only problem that we will have to face is if, by any chance, the boss blocks our way to escape, and the boss itself."

"There is a dungeon boss, right? What if it orders the boss to do so?" I asked once again.

"The master can't see what happens in the boss room. This has been confirmed a decade ago after a hero conquered a dungeon and spread the information. There have been a lot more people that have conquered one but hid that information so that they could have it easier and conquer more. The hero was hated by the hunters that has conquered one, including a very powerful S-ranked adventurer that ended up refusing to join his party to fight off a national-level threat stampede. He was persecuted for it as the hero almost lost his life. Bunch of idiots, really. Let's go!" He said before opening the door wide and open for us to see the dark inside.

*****

Oh yeah? Let's see about that! This one here just happened to be a special case, after all! Escape plan!? Not on my watch!

Log: Griffon's spawn point has been manually set, deducting 500 mana…

Log: Deducting another 200 due to having no surface use as a catalyst.

Bank currently has 21,100 mana points

Kuh! Even changing spawn points costs mana!? That's understandable since the magic circle is being transferred somewhere else but why that much?

Oh, it's a summoning formation. I guess that is understandable then.

Matters not. With this their escape is cut, what comes next is either killing or disabling them. This plan comes with a little bit of a surprise too, show me your worst, Celestial Vampire!

*****

"Now then, where's our lil' boss laying around, I wonder?" Kler playfully said as he looked around as if he could see things. Then it happened.

Flocks of feathers shoot down from the room's high ceilings towards us, breaking our formation in the process as we desperately try to defend ourselves. I say desperately but I treated this as training, trying to see how far I could go against this boss without using magic externally.

Usually, I would erect a thick multi-layered barrier to deflect these feathers, but this time I want to see how far my speed and dynamic vision could get me, my reflexes too. Seeing and reacting are two different things. That is why I am doing this. Of course, I will decide if to continue after seeing the stats of whatever this is. Now then…

After dodging some of the bigger ones, I moved away from the group to begin the test. I don't want anything I parry hitting them.

"Celes!? What are you doing!? You may be fast enough but you're going to tire out faster like that!" Blake shouted in my direction.

"That's right! Get down here with everyone!" Garga the dwarf said. As expected of a dwarf, that huge tower shield and muscles were not for joke. I think it's his skill but the feathers that should have hit them already are also getting deflected by their skins for some reason. This, I assumed to be Garga's skill because it seemed fitting as he is supposed to be the tank of the group along with the fat guy.

He was said to be the healer but with that huge shield he's holding, I doubted it. My doubts came to fruition as he performed the tank for the twins while Kler stood behind them smiling and all happy while also one-handing every pest that made their way around the trio. I could not get any evaluation of his combat skills because of this. I do know that he has hand-to-hand combat to level 10 tho. There was nothing special to his skills so I wanted to evaluate him through his actions, which bore no fruit.

Now then. I stood out in the open while the others were trying to persuade me into joining them on the side. After a few seconds of waiting, a volley of silver feathers clad in a thick layer of mana hastily showered me.

(Seems like whatever is attacking us has acknowledged that I am dangerous. Or it may just want to eliminate one of us quickly to reduce the numbers.)

As if it'll happen. With that as my last thought, I hardened the daggers I was holding with mana twice the density of the mana that was hardening those feathers, and there began my little 'training'.

*****

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

...

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo

System, shut the f**k up. I could see it.

Notice: Notifications of spammed skills are now only sent once.

Good. That's one stress out… the other…

A holographic screen appeared along with it is the figure of a female child parrying feathers as if dancing.

How is she doing that..? The others look like they are about to die just from defending against it, yet she is parrying them… seemingly effortless…

Log: Last dungeon boss has run out of mana, now supplying from the bank

Notice: 100 mana will now be deducted for every use of Feather Salvo

Log: Last dungeon boss used Feather Salvo, used 100 mana

Griffon, stop spamming the Feather Salvo and go meet our guests. They should be tired enough, I don't know about that Celestial Vampire tho. Make sure to drop down fast and cause some shockwave that will throw them off balance.

Bank currently has 19,800 mana

*****

As I was smoothly deflecting every mana-clad feather, the barrage suddenly got incredibly faster and heavier. If I stop focusing on deflecting them all and dodge too, then there won't be any problems, however…

I looked towards where the others were and observed their situation, and surely enough Garga the dwarf can't keep up.

"Oi, Garga!? How much longer can your mana last!? This is not something you can just keep on defending against!" Blake asked in a hurry.

"I dunno, man! Maybe another 30 seconds!? The hits are getting much heavier so even less!"

He's right, they are getting a lot heavier. I need to do something.

"Need a hand?" I said as I run towards them to the front of the shield.

"What are you… Yeah, I definitely need it!" He hesitatingly shouted.

Here's the real deal.

"Everyone, make sure there is no one on the left side of the shield! I assume that your heavy mana consumption is because of that barrier, so I'll deflect what comes towards those who aren't behind the shield," I explained to them.

"Nice thinking! That way, Mister Garga won't have to use as much mana! Alright, sis, we're joining, widen your great sword, I will too!" The twins said as they protected themselves with the daggers they had right by their thighs. I was wondering what they would do with them but the barrages are getting heavier so I retracted back my focus to deflection.

The hits got so heavy that I felt my arms slightly getting number for every feather I was deflecting. I can't afford to dodge any so I have to redirect them. Not yet, I still don't have to use magic…

(I can still improve.)

As I thought so, I forced my brain and body to adjust to however I want it to. Deflecting every feather that was getting heavier every second. Sparks started flying and I felt a burning sensation in my right thigh. Signing that it is time for me to start using magic.

Doesn't matter, I'll just have to go faster! That's right, finer movement, less wasted twist. It doesn't have to be beautiful. If my speed can't keep up, then by technique. The dagger doesn't have to be the one deflecting. The feathers can too. Focus and deflect them towards the other incoming feathers!

As I was focusing harder than I ever have, I once again felt a burning pain now in my right ear.

Not enough. If deflecting or causing them to collide against each other isn't enough, then how about ricocheting!?

Focus on each feather and calculate each of their individual speed, and then hit them at the right angle with the right speed and strength, making a melodic sound of every feather hitting against each other!

Even so, some still managed to hit me or pass by me.

If the arms aren't enough, then use the legs! Create leg guards made out of tungsten and put them to work right away!

Left, right, right, right, left. If not fast enough, then make use of what is available without relying on blood. magic, or skills.

But I started to feel my body hurting and weakening for every strike.

(So this is how far I could go, huh… I wonder if I improved..?)

Notice: Title [Heavy Deflector] acquired

Notice: Skill :Heavy Deflecting: acquired through title [Heavy Deflector}

Notice: Failure, the Unique skill :Skill Manipulation: denies skill installation

Alternative: Fusing skill :Perfect Agility: and :Heavy Deflector: through the use of Unique skill :Skill Manipulation:

Notice: Success. Unique skill :Nimble Limb: acquired

Notice: Unique skill :Skill Manipulation: doesn't react

Notice: Unique skill :Nimble Limb: successfully acquired

Notice: Updating status… done

Notice: Title [Vigor Craver] acquired

[Vigor Craver]⟩ Increases EXP gain by tenfold.(You are a potential candidate so you're exempted from the leveling system.)

:Name:Celeste Crourem

:Race: Celestial Vampire

:Gender: Female:Stats:

HP:1289

MP:3233

STR:82(123)

AGI:146(219)

DEX:80(120)

INT:130(195)

LUK:35

VIT:50(75)

Total stats:(523+50% to all stats)=785

:SKILLS:

Active:

Self status, Appraisal, Skill Manipulation, Stealth 10, Magic Manipulation 10, Magic Creation 10,

Full enhancement 10(Magic UP, Mana Capacity UP, AGI UP, STR UP, DEX UP, INT UP, LUK UP, VIT UP, Body Enhancement, Blood Enhancement, Thought Enhancement, Additional Healing),

Blood Manipulation 10(Blood Magic 10, Blood Appraisal, Blood Stream, Healing Blood)

Passive:

Magic control 10,  Fire magic 10, Wind magic 10, Ground magic 10, Water magic 10, Sun magic 10, Light magic 10, Dark magic 10, Space magic 10, Time magic 10, Mind magic 10, Life Magic 10,

Twin dagger mastery, Eternal youth, Nimble Limb

Full resistance 10(Inferno, Fire, Storm, Wind, Ocean, Water, Earth, Ground, Sun, Holy, Light, Shadow, Dark, Void, Space, Time, Mind, Illusion, Demon Energy, Demon Magic, Blunt attack, Slice, Stab, Pierce/Penetration)

:Titles:

[The last Celestial Vampire]⟩ The will of all Celestial Vampires has been entrusted to you :Will:To end all those that have betrayed the Celestial Vampires:⟩Additional Skill:Healing Blood

[True Ancestor]⟩ An increase of 50% to stats, additional 1% every 10 years

[Exhibitionist]⟩ Increases favoritism from the opposite gender, more effective when the user is naked up to some extent

[Heavy Deflector]⟩ Grants the skill :Heavy Deflector:

[Vigor Craver]⟩ Increases EXP gain by tenfold. (You are a potential candidate so you're exempted from the leveling system.)

(So I did improve to the point that whatever this is, acknowledged me. I'm satisfied with this for now… I'll also have to look onto that fusing) I thought then started using magic and formed a cone-shaped barrier pointing towards the source of the feathers, redirecting them to the sides as they slide along its shape.

A few dozen seconds passed and the volley of feathers slowed down and eventually stopped. My wounds have healed too.

"Finally… that… I have… never done… that for… so long…" Garga the dwarf said as he heavily grasped for air.

"Get up, it's coming down," I said to everyone who was trying to rest.

A second after I did, a huge monster with the wings, head, and legs of an eagle, and the body of a lion dove straight down, causing a massive shockwave throughout the whole room, extinguishing some of the torches' fire that lit up again right away.

"A griffon!? That's an A-ranked monster! That size could easily count as an A+ or even S! We need to get out of here if we want to live!" Karl, which is currently healing the twins, said.

(Great. Maybe I could get even stronger with this.) I thought before I pulled a canteen of Lory's blood from my Blood Stream and drank it all quickly, giving me a feeling of refreshment throughout my whole body.

"Was that blood just now!?" The other twin said in shock, which gathered the attention of others.

"… Hmmm," I started thinking and decided to, "Ask Blake, like usual," I said and gave the gentlest smile I could towards Blake.

"You have got to be kidding me," he said as he stare back at the stares he was getting.

The griffon let out a loud screech so loud that my ears felt like they were going to bleed but I was not fazed, and yet everybody else are cringing on the floor holding their ears down. I suppose weaker ears endure less, huh?

*****

25