Chapter 4 – Arc 1 – Bad Start?
496 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I fucked up. I fucky-fuck-fuck, fucked up. 

 

Rule number one of every Isekai, Reincarnation or similar genre is; never, ever let anybody know that you have replaced the said involved individual in question. 

 

At least until you have gained their trust, or have them under your finger. 

 

Of course, one could even tell it to somebody as fun and see their reactions, or kill them afterward if they are your enemy and you want to get the laughs out of messing with them.

 

I did none of that. Neither have I wanted to see their reactions, and neither would I be killing anybody to keep my secret. 

 

If I had to be honest, this wasn’t meant to happen, at all.

 

When the final calibrations for my incarnation were in play and I found out I would become a girl, well… I was fine after a nice talk with the original. I mean there could be worse fates than just genderbending in another world, and with time I would have gotten the hang of it, probably.

 

But it was also at that time that I found out how my incarnation worked, for the most part, and why it had to be the way it worked. My original had it all planned out and with many scenarios already thought up I just had to follow them and it would have been fine. 

 

To what degree of fine would depend on the events in progress. The best-case scenario was for me to play dumb as if I lost my memories. That scenario had the greatest success projected by the original. 

 

The next one was to pretend I went crazy or something similar, at least until I could speak the language enough. From that point, it was all about projecting a gradual recovery and it would have been fine, probably.

 

Yet, none of that happened. It started well enough. I woke up, observed my surroundings, and judged them to the best degree I could if one considered my experience in the previous life. 

 

It went well but then I fucked up. 

 

I could excuse myself by saying that all the events that led up to this overwhelmed me and that the young brain I currently had was chock-full of hormones that only teenagers had and made me forget about the plan.

 

But, If I had to be honest, there is only one reason as to why all this happened. It was the BLING, or better said the indication of the BLING behind everything that I saw.

 

Past life, decent family, neither rich nor poor. This life, I woke up in a fucking mansion. If that is not an indication of wealth, then I don't know what is.

 

But the worst of all is that what I interpreted from the old man, the man that just fell face-first on the ground is this body’s father. The only other man that stood still beside me stared at me down, as he was quite taller than me right now. 

 

He ignored the man on the ground and just stared at me, and that’s what I did in return, only looking upwards. ‘ I must say that it’s been years since I had to look upwards to anybody, as I had been of a decent size.

 

As I looked at him a revelation hit me. Before my own inelegant face-ground slapping, I had thoroughly disregarded the faces of the people I saw on my way to the lake. 

 

Again, the possibility of BLING distracted me from it. 

 

This man that looked down on me had Asian facial features and so did the people I saw before. Taking my gaze from him I looked at the man on the ground and the old man with the ridiculous beard that I thought only existed in movies or other media.

 

Comparing the two I saw the resemblance immediately, which clued me to the main point. I probably had Asian facial features too. Otherwise, it would have taken me much longer to notice their similarities. 

 

After all, even if my current brain had to be restructured to accommodate all my memories and quirks, it was not that easy to get rid of the inherent genetic bias one is born with. In this case, being genetic racial recognition of your lineage.

 

Touching my own eyes, I noticed the slight tilt at the back end of the eyelids. It wasn’t much but it was there. 

 

Touching my new face a bit more I heard the second man speak. He spoke fast so I failed to interpret his words, but somewhere at the back of my mind, I could feel my brain reminding myself that it knew and that it had worked with this language before. 

 

To me, it felt similar to how I understood some Japanese after watching anime over the years.

 

Just like before when I tried to speak to them and before my apparent new father went unconscious, I entered a sort of meditative state and once I was in it I could feel the energy inside me. Just like I had learned from the original, I called forth this Power he named Life Essence and sent it to that part of the brain that beckoned me. 

 

Immediately the weird sound I was hearing became more reasonable. The conversation between the old man and the other one was still too fast for me, but I could understand the gist of it. They were worried about my new father but I sensed that it was not an urgent problem as the old man was some kind of healer.

 

Wanting to ask about this, I concentrated and found the elusive words in my mind. To me, it felt like trying to speak in a 4th or 5th language that I barely knew, and yet I somehow found the words I needed. “ Is… he… good? ”

 

My words interrupted their conversation and they turned to me. It was the old man that answered but again he spoke too fast. “ Please…. speak… slower. New… mind… hard… understand. ”

 

As if my words spooked them, their eyes went wide open. Again the old man spoke as if he was far more familiar with me. ” He… be… good. Some...rest.. ”

 

Some rest? Doubt it, but I ain’t a healer, so I will give him that. “ Good. ”

 

That said again a silence came over us. I had no idea what to do now, so I did the next best thing. “ Who.. are you? ” As I asked, I tilted my head a bit, to indicate my cluelessness. I had adopted this expression from anime material after testing some people’s reactions.

 

Hearing my question I saw the old man express some sorrow and point at himself but all I got was him saying something about a mountain. “ Ask… name...not mountain? ” Again I added a tilt to my head.

 

Laughing a bit at my lack of understanding he waved his hand away as if it was not important. “ Who.. are...you? ”

 

Oh, that one I understood perfectly. Hmm, maybe this is my chance to salvage the situation a bit. The normal thing would be to take on the identity of the girl I had incarnated into, but I doubt this would be a good route at the moment. 

 

Let's try a variation.

 

Again I tilted my head to show confusion, only this time I looked at the sky afterward. Next, I looked at my hands as if still considering the events happening. Staying like that for a few moments I looked back at the two men and the unconscious father of the body I asked a question.

 

“ This… body.. called? ” I asked them in return.

 

Again silence came upon us but not for long as the old man replied but all I got was tender from his mouth. Wait, if I remember correctly, all Asian children are named with names that contain some meaning inherent in them. What if I just work out the sound for now and look for their meaning later?

 

Tasting the sound that I received on my tongue a few times I said it to him. “ Jiao? ” When he nodded I did it a few more times. To them it probably looked as if I was ingraining the name into my mind, which to be honest, I kind of did.

 

Once I did it enough times I gave them an answer. “ Me… Jiao? ” Again, the tilt came back with the hope that I hadn’t messed it up even more. 

 

Right away I could see the frown on their faces, but they said nothing at first. They looked at each other for a bit when the old man spoke again, but as it was not meant for me he spoke really fast. The other one nodded and picked up my new apparent father and left. 

 

The old man on the other hand called out to me, using the Jiao that I had just learned. With a hand motion, I knew he wanted me to follow him, and so I did. 

 

Out of the three men I just met he seemed the wisest, after all, one doesn’t get old without some wisdom to follow.

 

Walking for a few steps I recognized we were going to the room I woke up in. We both stayed silent and it was only after we reached the room in question that he faced me and spoke slowly.

 

“That… body...belong… to Jiao. Who… are... You? ” Was what I got from him. 

 

Hmm, I can see the way he wants the conversation to go, but I don't think I should go that way. Let’s see, tilt my head a bit again, scratch the right side of my chin as if thinking deeply, wait for a bit and give a reply. “ Old… life… no longer… new life, Jiao. ”

 

Thinking for a second he replied. “ New life, Jiao… why...no memories… but can speak? ”

 

Oh, that is a good question, old man. Now, how to explain this. I doubt I can say my incarnation process had to restructure the brain the hard way and what was left barely had any resemblance to the old if I understood the original me correctly. Sooo.

 

“ Old life… old book, new life… new book, book... different? ”

 

Immediately a frown appeared on him, but this one stemmed not from emotion but reason. ‘ Oh, wasn't he a healer of some sort, maybe he’s trying to figure out what happened?

 

“ New book pages? ” Ha, he’s picked up on my approach. Thinking for a second about my reply I give it to him. “ New book… lost… much...trigger… old book writing? ”

 

Now sadness radiated out of his old face but that didn’t disturb him in his quest for understanding as he asked for the why and how. Ok, I think for this I should stick with the main reason the original thought up. “ How… don't… know… Why?.... many…. main… Death. ”

 

This time he said nothing but I could see that he figured out the same reason as I said. After all, the original had mentioned multiple times that the incarnation process would be impossible if the body was alive as a new Spark of Will was needed for it to even begin. 

 

Seeing him speechless for a bit I left him like that and went back to the bed I had woken up on the first time. Once on it, I covered myself with the blankets again and just stared at the wooden beams at the ceiling to distract myself.

 

Moments later, the old man spoke but all he said was Stay and pointed at the room. When I nodded he was gone seconds after.

 

Considering how I messed up the starting event, I hope this patched-up salvage job I did was enough. 

 

***

 

Leaving the room of what used to be the young miss off the mainline of the Yu bloodline, He Shunshan gave a long-held sigh in his heart. 

 

Thirteen years ago, he was offered the job of healing the miss, but even for him, it was impossible as healing broken roots were beyond him. Yes, he could nudge them, here and there for a better flow. He could even unclog them if it was needed but healing broken roots were beyond him.

 

Still, the Lord of the Yu family, Yu Liwei, offered him a lot of money to at least have her in good health. Even that was hard, as the broken Qi flow was prone to all sorts of bad effects. Still, despite all those shortcomings, the little miss Jiao, grew up headstrong and loved by her father. 

 

Despite the many warnings, she would often pass out due to over-excitement.

 

Even for his centuries-long life, thirteen years wasn't short, and having spent much of those years taking care of the girl he grew quite fond of, after all being called grandpa all the time was bound to leave some feelings behind.

 

And yet, it seemed as fate had other things to say and now she was gone. Replaced by something else.

 

Taking a breath, he remembered his old master’s rule. ‘ Don't get attached to your patients, otherwise only a world of hurt awaits. But if you're prepared for the pain and are willing to bear it then at least try your best and if fate still declares otherwise, at least you have tried your best. That is all we can do in life, try our best.

 

Shaking his head and dismissing his thoughts, he made his way to the Lord’s office. It was there that he sent the elder brother along with the Lord. 

Noticing a servant waiting at the exit of the young lady’s designated inner courtyard he spoke to her. “ Prepare a meal for the young miss and deliver it. Aside from that, don't bother her. ”

 

As he made his way to the Lord’s office Hu Shoushan thought about the earlier incident of the Lord falling unconscious. ‘ To think he noticed the Inner Devil’s spawning in him at that moment and even knocked himself unconscious to prevent its effects. Such self-discipline I would have never expected from a merchant family but then again it's the Yu family we are talking about. You don't become as famous and hated as them without a reason.

 

Either way, he definitely won't like the news I am about to bring him. ‘ Hu Shoushan thought to himself.

 

Soon he reached the office and saw the man in question had woken up. Displeasure oozed out of him as he just sat there behind his desk and like waves, they battered against the healer and his older brother inside the office.

 

“ Please tell me you're bringing good news and that I had imagined all this? ” He asked the old man in hope but the doctor in question shook his head. 

 

“ I am sorry. If what I had been told is the truth, the Yu Jiao we have known all these years is gone, and what replaced her I am not sure yet. “ Stopping for a second, he went on. “ Again I must state that if what I have been told is the truth it would have happened anyway at some point. ”

 

“ Are you sure you want to hear about it now? ” He Shoushan asked in return. 

 

“ Go on, I have stomped the Inner Devil and there won't be any spawning anytime soon. ” Insisted the Lord.

 

Nodding, He Shoushan explained what he understood. “ I have spoken to her and right now she claims to be Jiao, and from the way I understood, she was always Yu Jiao. ”

 

“ Alright, what happened then? ” Asked the elder brother. 

 

“ If I understood correctly, then according to her, the Jiao we knew all this time was the reincarnation or something similar of someone powerful in the past. Otherwise, I doubt a Flame like that, would have appeared. ” Organizing his thoughts, he continued his thoughts. “ I remember a few tales of my late master of how at the highest points of cultivation one is able to keep memories from one life onto the other. I have never seen or heard of it happening before now, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. My best interpretation of the events is that something went wrong with the process and the result of that was the Jiao we knew all this time. ”

“ Go on. ” Motioned the Lord for him to continue. 

“According to her, there were many ways for the memories to trigger, but the main one would be Death and if I am right then, Death carries the worst consequences. ” Done with his reasoning the old man stopped.

 

“ That's all under the clause that what she told you is the truth, and the truth could be that some old monster took this chance to find himself a new body. ” Stated Yu Qiao from the side.

 

“ Yes, it could be. ” The old man agreed.

 

Slam 

 

Sounds echoed inside the room as Yu Liwei slammed his right hand on the desk in frustration. “ He Shoushan, if what I understood correctly from you is that whatever happened, my daughter is gone, forever? ”

 

Being addressed directly by name, He Shoushan knew that his response at this moment mattered more than anything right now. Searching his thoughts again, he found no alternative. 

 

“ While the blood of the Yu main-line still courses through that body, spiritually speaking Yu Jiao probably died in that lake four days ago. I am sorry, Lord, for informing you of this. ” With an apologetic voice, he delivered his conjecture, and immediately he saw the facade the Lord had put on crack. 

 

What appeared in its place only a father who lost his child would recognize.

 

“ I see. Could you two give me some time alone? ” Was all that he asked but there was an undertone of something in there.

 

Yu Qiao and He Shoushan both nodded as they knew he needed some space. Leaving the office they saw the steward there waiting for them. 

 

“ Steward Xue, don’t let anyone, even Lady Ai near the office for now and ignore anything happening inside. ” Nodding to his orders he stayed there while the two of them left. It wasn’t long before crashing sounds could be heard behind him and an aura of despair and loss washed over the Yu mansion carried by the Qi in the air. 

 

Everybody felt it, Cultivator or servant, and even the young girl who was the main event wondered, at the feelings she felt from the outside. 

11