Chapter 2
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blood loss. Ever since life sprouted in the lands of the home we call earth, creatures that have blood flowing within their body have always been vulnerable to it. Blood is necessary for us to survive. It can deliver nutrients to our whole body from the food we eat and oxygen in the air we breathe in. As for how crucial it is to us, it is also one of the reasons why people are so easy to kill. Did you know that depending on the wound a person can bleed out and die for 2-5 minutes?

Do you also know why I am thinking about blood loss? Do you also know why I am holding a sharp pencil inside my pocket so tightly? I guess you wouldn't because I'm not talking to anyone aside from myself. But the reason why I am so mad right now is because of a man that's also known as my father. He is also the reason why we have been suffering right now. Food, Clothes, Shelter, Education! All of those things and more have been forsaken from us ever since my mom met him.

But no matter how much I despise him, the fact that his blood is also flowing inside my veins reminds me that he is still my biological father. That's also why despite all these grudges I harbor from him, I did let him talk to me inside his fancy, shiny and classy car.

"Nice car! I can't believe that I had to commute to school every day when my father has this fancy car!"

"Hmm, yes it's a nice car. I can order Dimitri here to fetch you from now on if you like, but I assume you wouldn't even consider it."

I just sat there silently looking outside the windows fighting the urge to just stop and get out of there.

"Listen, Chris, it's been 3 years since we last had the chance to talk with each other. Will you look at me in the eye and listen to what I am saying?"

"Talk? Hmm, I guess we can talk. But how good it must have been if you talked to us when mom is begging you to consider taking responsibility for us. Because you know, we're still your children, right? But alas it's been 3 years I should just forget about it."

"That's now what I am saying. I can't take back all the things I've done and the things I never did. But what I am asking for you now is to listen."

I have to calm down. I thought to myself. But when I remember all those things I just can't control my emotions.

"Sigh, I apologize. So what are we talking about? It's almost midnight. I have to sleep and look for work for my exam fees tomorrow."

"How's your mom? Is she feeling well?"

It's been 1 year since I last saw mom. But I sometimes talk to her every once in a while. We talk about various things but mostly it's because she's keeping tabs on me.

"What about her? Aside from her migraines, she seems fine. I just sent her money for her maintenance last month. If something were to happen she would surely tell it to me."

"I see. Her migraines, how is it? Did she tell you anything about it?"

"No. Nothing why?"

"Your mother. She's in hospital. She told me that she tried to contact you because her meds have run out. But then she collapsed after the call. Your sister Stephanie, took her to the nearest hospital and contacted Dimitri. That's why I know what happened."

For the longest time that I've known mom. She would always try to smile things out. Why didn't I notice that! She acted fine even though she isn't. She laughed even when in fact she felt crying. Why did I believe her facade?

"Then why are you here? Should you be at least once be beside mom when she's in the hospital?" My father looked away when I said that.

"I... I had things to do. I just told you this right now because I am near this area."

I knew it. It's not surprising anymore. Well, what can I expect? I honestly did not feel the slightest disappointment anymore.

"I see. I'll be visiting her tomorrow then. Where is she confined?"

I have to visit my mother first, but what about my exam? Where can I get the money? What about hospital fees? My exam can wait. I just hope that the cashier will understand my situation. But I don't know where can I get the money for the hospital.

Perhaps because he noticed that my eyebrows were twitching as I said that, he held my shoulder and said to me that he'll cover my exam fees for now and the hospital as long as needed. Despite my preconceptions about him, I did need the money so I didn't have much choice.

"But. I..."

"Maybe it's not efficient. But I understand a man's pride. I know you've been supporting yourself and your mother for these past 3 years and I don't want to just barge in and act as if I never did anything wrong. Just. Just rely on me from now on if you ever need assistance."

I looked at his eyes as he said that. I didn't understand why that despite all my hatred for him and his current family. I never hate him through and through.

"Okay. I understand."

"Steph must have texted you the hospital. Did you not receive it?"

I grabbed my phone and checked if I received any messages earlier, but as expected I never did because my phone's battery is dead.

"I see. That should be it. Again, if you ever need any help just contact me. Your sister knows my contact details."

"Yes. Thanks. Good night."

I got out of the car and headed to the sidewalk leading to my apartment building. The apartment isn't that big because you know, I can't afford it. All it has is a kitchen, bathroom, and a living room that serves also as a bedroom. But despite its size, I felt comfortable in here.

I remembered what my Father said earlier about me relying on him from now. I will be lying if I didn't feel conflicted when I accepted the money he gave me. But maybe, just a little bit, I could rely on him from now on.

"I have to wake up early tomorrow. How's May doing?" I spent a little bit of the night wondering about various things including my mother's well-being and my future. If I were to pursue my course for college I need financial assistance. But no matter how much part-time work I do, it won't suffice.

"There are also expenses back there at mom. Maybe I should just go back to living with her from now on."

I never realized but I slowly fell asleep at some point that night while thinking about the expenses and responsibilities I have as the eldest son of the family. If we were just a little bit lucky maybe we won't be having issues with our daily survival. I dozed off every once and a while and finally slept as I said...

"Maybe we could've been whole again..."

— Earlier after Chris left his Father's car —

"Sir, Dr. Wagner is calling." Dimitri held out a mobile phone to his boss and continued driving.

"Yes. Mayor Jason speaking."

"You really like the word mayor along with your name huh? How's the position?"

"It's fine. But I don't see any reason for you to call me about my work as a mayor."

"Why, yes of course. I was wondering if you have prepared my test subject because the official trials will be starting soon."

"I'm working on it. I trust that you have confidence in my skills yes?"

"Of course, Of course, I trust you wholeheartedly! You of all people will surely do it. After all that you've done."

After all that I've done. Jason's mind wandered a bit when Dr. Wagner said that word. He remembered all those missing person cases from all the news that's wandering around lately.

"I'll be expecting the next batch of the test subjects arriving by next week. Oh, and by the way, you said that there's this Chris here? Isn't he the bastard son of a renowned politician? Who's that again?"

"There's so many Chris here. But I know that you know that it's me you are talking about. Don't worry I've had many women before. I don't see any reason for me to get mad at you for someone who I don't even recognize as my son, to begin with.

"That's why I am so confident about you Mayor Jason! Hahaha."

"I expect that our safety is guaranteed then? When will I get the address for the underground shelter?

"Don't worry Mayor, your wife and children are safe, GUARANTEED! Just wait, I'll contact you when it's time."

"I see. I'll be waiting for it then."

Jason turned off the call and opened the window as the chilly breeze of the night sky entered the car.

"Sir, it's freezing out there, you'll catch a cold. You have to close the window. Your health is as important as ever from now on."

"Freezing hm? This is nothing. You should know that as well." Dimitri understood what's Mayor Jason is telling him. After all, when the time comes, it's not just this cold they will be experiencing.

"But you're right. I can't afford to get sick days before the great cleansing commence."

The Great Cleansing. It will come to know as to when the Gods of mankind cleansed the entire population from its divine sins and all the lower creatures leeching of the promised people. It will be celebrated for years to come in the promised land serving as a reminder of how the people of white hair are the supreme lineage of mankind and all the people of color are lesser than domestic animals.

And as for God's enemies, it will be known as the greatest genocide of mankind also known as PROJECT: DYSTOPIA.

0