Chapter 10: Preparation for war
371 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(A few hours before Draven's little performance)

Domi's POV

Pilantha was the name of my village. It was a peaceful and quiet one. We only followed the orc tradition to become stronger and we never disturbed any other villages for our entertainment as some other Orc villages do. We only raised our strength to become strong enough to protect our village if someday something threatens it. We never used our strength for bad purposes and always kept our honor and pride as an Orc.

Everyday life here was peaceful until one day that is. Recently, I received orders to check out a nearby area and investigate the mysterious loud noises. I discovered a strong lizard with wings. When I told our chieftain about the lizard, the chieftain informed us that the lizard could most possibly be a dragon.

When the council of elders heard this, all of them went into a panic and started to gather warriors to slay the dragon. All of the cowardly elders were scared and wanted to get rid of this dragon as fast as possible.

The army that the elders were gathering was composed of almost 500 of our strong Orc brothers. I and one more Orc named Filcs was leading this army to slay the dragon.

I was the strongest warrior among the Orcs, while Filcs was the smartest strategist of our army. This was the first time that the elders of my village Pilantha, have gathered so many warriors. 

When I saw this, I was bewildered beyond my imagination. I always believed that Orcs should not fear no matter who they face. I believed this was a solid iron rule. However, seeing the elders being frightened so much, I could not help but lower my opinion about the elders. 

No matter if it's a dragon, I don't think that it has that kind of strength to wipe all of us out. Also, that strange beam that the dragon fired must be a one-time thing and he can't fire it repeatedly. If we remain cautious enough we could easily kill it. 

I grinned a little from my imagination of me killing the dragon and getting all the praises and love from the women. I was fully motivated and I went on ahead to organize the army to slay the dragon.

I spent a few hours checking the weapons and manpower of the army. It was currently nighttime and the white moon shone over all of our village. It was a clear sky today so we could see the stars shining in the sky. 

I was checking the weapons when suddenly I heard a commotion from the warriors of the army. Annoyed by the commotion, I went there to check what was wrong. When I arrived there and asked what happened, all of them pointed in the direction of a mountain peak. When I followed the fingers of the other soldiers towards the top of the mountain, I could see what all the commotion was about. 

On top of the mountain, the shadow of a dragon could be seen. The warriors were told about the appearance of the dragon, so they all knew about what the dragon looked like. 

When I saw that shadow, I could tell clearly that this shadow was of the same dragon that I had seen on my way to the forest recently. The dragon then stretched its long neck and roared to the sky. The surroundings vibrated with its roar and all of the sounds of the forest were silenced by its roar.

After a few minutes, it spread its huge wings and flew off in the dark.

Seeing this, the warriors of the army began to wobble and some began to cry while sitting on the ground. The moral of the army had gone down and the soldiers were hesitating for the future fight.

Seeing this sight of the Orcs... I was angry. 

"YOU COWARDS!! WHERE IS YOUR PRIDE AS AN ORC OF THE PILANTHA VILLAGE?? WE ARE THE STRONGEST AND WE WILL NOT FALTER AGAINST ANY OPPONENT. THE ONLY ENEMY THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO DEFEAT AT THE MOMENT IS THAT GIANT MANTIS IN THE CAVE. BUT SOON WE WILL DEFEAT THAT INSECT TOO. THIS DRAGON MAY BE STRONG, BUT IT CANNOT BE STRONGER THAN THE MANTIS. WE WILL DEFEAT THIS DRAGON AND DEVOUR IT TO SHOW THAT WE ARE SUPERIOR TO ALL AND THE STRONGEST."

The Orcs could not think deeper and were simple-minded. Hearing their captain say that they could and will defeat the dragon, all the Orcs were again invigorated with determination. They all cheered for their captain brimming with confidence that they could defeat this dragon...

.

.

.

What Domi didn't know was that this delusional thinking of his will lead Draven to his first major pillar of support that will help him throughout his journey to the top.

___

Far from the delusional Berserker Orc and his army, a dragon with greyish blue scales with an obsidian black wolf pup on its tail was flying in the sky. The purple reptilian eyes of the dragon shone brightly with life in the night sky. When it flapped its two huge wings, strong gusts of wind blew. The pup in the back was squeezing its golden eyes in fear while clinging to the dragon's tail.

This was naturally Draven and Fallen who were on their way to their cave after their little tour to the peak of a mountain.

Before going to the cave, I wanted to see if I could hunt anything. It was nighttime, so there must be some kind of animals around here...right?

I flew low over the forest in search of prey. After a few minutes, I could see a big fat brown rabbit with little wings on its back. From my weeks of hunting in this forest, I had never seen this type of prey. It was almost the size of a grown-up bull. I quickly swooped down from the sky like an eagle and took off with the rabbit in between my claws. It couldn't even provide resistance as my claws easily punctured its wind-pipe which led to its death.

After becoming a dragon, my mentality changed. While I was a human, I could not even kill a chicken, but now I'm hunting and mercilessly killing them without the slightest bit of hesitation. I even felt excited while hunting. 

I shook my head and got rid of these useless thoughts and went off towards my cave all the while salivating about the taste of this new prey.

___

Next Chapter: [Massacre (1)]

12