Chapter 3: Friend
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Eden woke up on his hospital bed. 'So what happened last night wasn't a dream...' As he glanced out the window, he let out a sigh. The description of the corpses was still fresh in his mind. The way that the room filled up with the smell of blood...he unconsciously scrunched up his nose. 

   A sudden flash of white entered his vision. Eden could see...himself? He was wielding a knife that looked familiar, and blood was streaming from it. While he was smiling, a puddle of blood was created beneath his feet.

   He locked eyes with his mother and waited for her to move her glassy eyes. They didn't. She simply sat in the corner, drenched in blood. His gaze moved down her face before coming to a halt at her throat.

   A crimson grin smiled back at him. The slash across her throat seemed to have more life than her gaping mouth. It taunted him. He could forever look at this twisted smile, but he'd never see her face light up with one ever again.

   He swallowed his saliva and slowly began to survey the rest of her body. The blood had cascaded down the front of her body like a waterfall, collecting in a little pool.

   Her limbs and legs were bent at odd angles, as if she were a doll who had been dropped carelessly. He let out a sigh. Her physique lacked the grace it formerly possessed. He averted his gaze. She was no longer the person he knew; she had become nothing more than a corpse.

   And so, a smile crept its way up to his face. He tightened the hold around the knife and walked toward what was left of his mother. He kneeled down and caressed her cheek. Those once beautiful scarlet eyes were now as dull as a stone. 

   Eden brought the knife close to his face and began to press the tip of it against the slimy ball. The blade went in and he carved the eyeball out. The vein that attached itself to the ball was cut off and it plopped down followed by a fleshy sound.

   He shifted his gaze to her neck as another eyeball fell. He was determined to finish his work, and through unknown miracles, the skull and spine were severed. The bone cracked as fragments fell to the ground near her body.

   Eden sighed and twirled the bloodied knife around. "Hello, father." He said, in a modulated whisper. He picked up a chair and threw it onto his father's legs, earning a pained scream. He picked up the chair again and repeated what he did. It now seemed like a one-way catch game. Once Eden examined the feeble man's legs, it was now broken beyond repair. Bones can be seen clawing its way outside of his skin.

   He kneeled down and his hand snaked under the man's chin. The man was startled and tried screaming for help...but alas, no words came out as Eden's hands wrapped around the man's neck, choking it.

   As the frail man flailed around, his windpipes were slowly giving way under his thumbs. "Stay still like mother, father." Eden commanded and traced the tip of the knife along his neck. As his father strained to obtain a lungful of air, tears streamed down his face. 

   Cold metal lunged itself into the man's shoulders. The man struggled more as gurgles erupted from his mouth. The knife dug into his skin deeper and deeper and was pulled out immediately. His father was slowly losing strength as his arms fall back.

   Laughter bursted out from his lips as his body shook. He was still grinning while his eye twitches. "Dearest father..." He cooed as he stopped himself from laughing further. Said man was unconscious which irritated Eden. "Hah..." In a flash, everything went red as blood flowed out of his father's body like a waterfall.

   Torn from his skull, the remains of his father's brain lay scattered over the cold floor. He kicked it lightly and clicked his tongue. His older sister, Bella was watching the whole thing happen as she hurriedly scrambled to the phone, dialing for help. 

   "Where are you going, sister Bella?" He smiled and hopped to his sister who held a kitchen knife in her hand while trembling. "GET AWAY FROM ME!" His sister shouted as she ran away as wet sloshing sounds can be heard. The smell of a fresh corpse was everywhere stinging her nose.

   After what seemed like forever, Eden finally caught up to his older sister. He traced the knife to her neck and drew a star. "Now you look pretty, sister!" He giggled, staring at the dripping scarlet liquid. He flipped the tip of his knife and was about to stab her—

   "■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■" And Eden blacked out. 

   Eden watched in horror at what he did. He could feel fluid make its way from his stomach to his throat. A lump appeared as he swallowed it back. "W-Why did I...?" were the only words that he managed to utter out. 

   'den?' Azrail frowned and looked at Eden who was spaced out. And so, he called out to him once again...this time, it triggered a reaction.

   "Y-Yes?"

   'What hap—' and he was cut off by a nurse that was present in the room for god knows how long. "Oh! You're up. You can be discharged now." She exclaimed as she nearly tripped while carrying a tray with some IVs. Eden nodded and proceeded to get up from his bed until the door conveniently opened with a familiar-looking redheaded man on the other end.

   'Oh dear god...' Azrail cursed while rubbing his eyes. 'Why does he have to be here?' He continued while sighing. Eden couldn't agree more with this wretched spirit that is bound to his body.  Adrain was an annoying nosy pest.

   "Hey, Eden! You're gonna live with me from now on." Adrain somehow appeared behind the nurse in a matter of seconds...an ability haver, maybe?  This action scared the nurse as the tray tumbled down, making the IVs crash against the concrete floor. Splashing sounds of liquid can be heard. 

   The nurse was freaking out as she scrambled to clean the mess. The liquid was stretching towards the outlet, to which Adrain noticed as a flicker in his eyes appeared. "Be careful, miss." He continued placing both his hands on her shoulders. A grin was plastered on his face.

   "Thank you, sir Adrain." She said meekly and left the room. "Welllll, this is pretttty awkward." Said Adrain while shrugging. He pulled a chair from god-knows where and sat down next to Eden's bed. 

   "Little bud, I prepared the documents and everything and uhhh...looks like you'll be living with me for a while...until you're an adult." He stated and handed the teen a stack of papers. Eden frowned as he stared at the document. This was too convenient. The murder happened yesterday yet...somehow,  they already prepared adoption papers. 

   He hummed a tune of 'you are my sunshine' feeling the coldness of his heart grow dimmer and dimmer. Eden skimmed the paper and sighed. It seemed like things will only get more complicated if he refused this too good to be true offer. 

   For an unknown reason, Eden had a feeling that he could trust Adrain. Perhaps, it was his gut telling him this or maybe blind faith. Who knows? Only time will tell if this trust could remain. "Thank you." He said handing the stack of papers back to Adrain who diligently accepted it.

   Adrain nodded and left the room. "Should I trust him?" He decided to ask Azrail to which no response came his way. "Hello?" Eden called out and Azrail flinched in response. A raised eyebrow was sent his way while he (Eden) sipped on some water.

   Then, even as he stared, full of confusion, Eden seemed to hear, far down, as though from unfathomable depths, a faint whisper of sound: 'I...don't know.'

   The door swung open once again as if silencing Eden from questioning Azrail anymore. Adrain was back, this time with a tea set. "Want some tea while you sit and do nothing?" The man asked, setting everything down at an unimaginable speed that made the attendants from the aristocratic days shudder in fear.

   Eden could only nod as a familiar rose aroma filled his nostrils, causing him to freeze...rose tea was his father's favorite. Eden could faintly see his father's pleading face as he begged with his eyes for Eden to release him. He could still hear the pained gurgles as his father drew his final breath, laying limp on the floor like a roadkill. 

   Eden reflexively covered his mouth from ejecting the liquid that was gathering in his throat. Adrain finished pouring the tea and kept his lone eye focused on Eden's face. A smirk crawled up to his face as he placed the teapot down with a CLANK. 

   "What's wrong, bud?" He asked tilting his head dumbly. Oh how Eden wanted to strangle this man right then and there—oh god...what was he thinking?!

   'Kukukuku...accept the fact that you've changed for the worst, dearie!' Azrail snickered, his demeanor completely switching in a matter of seconds. Eden scowled and inhaled deeply, attempting to keep his blood from boiling even more. For a second, Eden thought he would have a life and death companion...not a parasitic freeloader. 

   He couldn't worry about this parasite right now. A more dangerous predator was right in front of him awaiting the prey...in this case, him to respond. Eden managed to crack a smile and responded: "Nothing, sir. It's just been a long time since I've had tea so I was shocked." 

   'Hoo...look at this brat.' Adrain thought while adding some honey into the tea. He responded with a nod, and their conversation came to a close with a pregnant silence that encompassed both males, leaving a relaxing yet frigid atmosphere in its wake.

   Adrain rose up once the teapot was emptied. "Would you like to stay with me, Eden?"

   The redhead extended his hand in a handshake-like motion, making it hover in the air. Eden shook it and the deal has been sealed. This man has now became his guardian...for better or worst. "Wonderful! Let's go now." His eye sparkled and the man clapped his hands together.

   The azure blue haired teen coughed hand pointed to his hospital gown that nearly made him look naked with how much of his back was showing. A light tint of red spread across his face. "I forgot about that so—here." Adrain grinned and a paper bag was handed to him. 

   A dark green sweater with white diamond shaped decorations around the chest area, as well as beige-colored trousers and a scarf, were inside said bag. They walked outside of his room and into the hallway toiletries. 

   Eden finally finished changing and realized how short he was for a fourteen year old which made him frown slightly. This detail wasn't important now...after all, he needed to cover his tracks. He washed his face and closed his eyes hoping to forget their terrified expressions as well as the smell of blood adorning everything as if it were a masterpiece. 

   It looked like he'll be having nightmares for a few weeks possibly even months due to this event. He left the room and found Adrain sitting down near the registration area of the hospital, writing down some notes in his book.

   Adrain glanced up and saw his responsibility staring at his notes blankly. He smiled and closed the book earning a scowl which made Adrain ruffle his hair. They were about to leave until Eden tucked on Adrain's sleeve.

    "What's up?" He asked while turning to stare at Eden in the eye. 

   "Can Lucifer come?"

   "We'd have to ask his mother first." He responded and began dialing a number. "Excuse me." He said walking away into a quiet corridor to take the call. As a result, Eden found himself alone and bored. While pacing about the toiletries, he let out a sigh. Having nothing to do was the worst.

   After what seemed like forever, Adrain came back with a stupid grin on his face. This man smiled too much for his own good and it was blinding Eden's eyes. "Good news, she agreed and she's even willing to pay for some of his needs." He cheered and now, they're on their way to a certain someone's room. 

   "But what about the document with...the transfer of guardianship?" Eden asked while eating the lollipop he was given a while back. Adrain didn't answer and only showed him the text messages. 'Huh...that's oddly fast...' He commented in his head and shrugged. It was none of his business to begin with. Being too nosy might get his thread cut off.

   "We're here!" Adrain announced and stepped aside, giving Eden the honors to break the news to his potential new brother. Eden knocked twice, and a faint "come in" was heard. They both stepped in, and to their surprise, Lucifer was changing, and the scars on his back were terrifying for a growing teenager.

   'What the actual fuuh...what happened to him?' Said Azrail feeling a bit embarrassed at his slip-up. Eden's brain was short circuiting. The sudden urge to harm those who had hurt Lucifer washed over his entire being. He bit the bottom of his lips, drawing blood. The familiar taste of metallic liquid dripped down into his throat. 

   He couldn't help but see his older sister's terrified gaze while staring at his giggling figure. Eden smiled bitterly while wiping the blood that nearly leaked out of his mouth. Oh, how Eden wished he could forget that scenery.

   "What happened?"

   "Nothing much, just some minor inconveniences." Lucifer smiled, looking into Eden's galaxy-like pools. Eden nodded and glanced at Adrain who was stiff. He poked the adult and broke him from his trance. 

   'Trust only yourself, little Edie."

   "You're really annoying..." Said Eden exhaling a breath of frustration. Lucifer who overheard this flinched and glanced nervously at Eden who ignored him. He narrowed his eyes at Azrail who stood next to Lucifer. 

   'I'm only saying the truth, my doll.' Said Azrail, clicking his tongue while floating around next to Eden. "Who's what now—Ahem! Do you wanna come live with us?" Azrail cut Eden off earning himself a glare. He stumbled a bit as Adrain caught him. He mumbled a thanks and gave a small smile...that looked too vicious to be considered as one to Lucifer.

   Unfortunately, Lucifer who wasn't aware of Azrail's existence, took this personally. His shoulders slumped and he began playing with his fingers as sweat trickled down his face.

   "I...don't know..." He softly stated that while staring at Eden, only for their gazes to collide. Lucifer's eyes shook, and he rapidly discovered that the floor was the most fascinating object on the planet.

    'Odd.' Eden commented while sitting on air. "It's okay if you don't want to, we'll give you time to think." Said Azrail, smiling as kindly as possible...except Eden's face didn't allow him to smile so it was a condescendingly scary smile.

   "I—uh, I'm sorry!" He squeaked and ran to hide behind Adrain's legs. Lucifer peeked his head out and the poor boy shivered with fear. Adrain couldn't help himself and chuckled while ruffling Lucifer's hair, trying to calm the poor boy down.

   "You shouldn't smile. It doesn't suit your face." Adrain whispered into his ear. Azrail's eyes twitched. He could feel Adrain holding in his laughter...well, he was surely failing at it miserably because his shoulders were shaking.

   Eden floated and stood next to Azrail while giving him a look that says: "Now you understand". The teen was about to float and explore the room until he was forcefully pulled back into his body. He nearly lost his balance in the process and sighed. He'd have to get used to this parasite's antics soon. 

   'Need to double check something.' He said curtly and glided to Lucifer's bed. When Azrail leaned down, a faint reddish glow appeared, almost like a hidden camera. He peered in further and discovered an ominous-looking dagger, much to Azrail's amazement. 'Hey, come check this out.' Said Azrail—more like demanded—waving his hand.

   Eden followed Azrail to the bed, only to be desperately stopped by Lucifer's frantic state. "What are you so scared about anyways?" He asked and shook Lucifer's hands off and continued to approach the bed. It couldn't be anything that bad, right? 

   Adrain comforted Lucifer who was still panicking and stared at Eden's figure who was hunched over. 

   He subconsciously prayed that it was just a set of porn magazines or anything remotely normal. As Eden laid his face down and brought his hand into the darkness, he yelped in pain. A stinging ache wrapped itself around the palm of his hand as red liquid flowed down one by one. 

   The red haired man ran over and inspected Eden's hand. He sighed and took out a small bottle of alcohol and some cotton balls from his surprisingly deep pockets. Eden stared at him strangely, wondering if he knew this would happen. Adrain was way too prepared for this situation.

   As if he heard Eden's concerns, Adrain answered while wrapping a bandage over the wound: "As a police officer in this day and age, being overly prepared for any situation is normal." 

   This still didn't sit right with the teen but of course, prying too much will only make his situation spiral down further into the rabbit hole. "Thank you." He murmured and looked underneath the bed once again. 

   At this point, Lucifer was practically stunned in place. He wasn't able to do anything and he too stared at that wretched place. Adrain, being the responsible adult that he is, took his watch out and turned on the flashlight function.

   "Why didn't you tell me about this?" Adrain's eye looked hurt as the glow it once had flickered disintegrated until there was none left. He took out the razor blade. Eden walked to Lucifer and held his hand in a comforting manner.

   Lucifer flinched and pushed Eden's hands away from him, earning a shocked expression on his (Eden) face. He looked away, avoiding eye contact feeling guilty.

   'That's not the thing I sa—' Azrail exclaimed, still pointing underneath the bed. "Shut up for now." Eden spoke with clenched teeth. He watched the feeble teen's complexion grow paler and paler while Adrain walked closer. 

   He took a step back the more Adrain tried to close in the distance between them. Adrain kneeled down and placed both hands on Lucifer's shoulders, peering into the chocolate irises. "Why?" He inquired again, this time with a gentler tone.

   "I..." Lucifer began trying to stop a sob from escaping his lips. "I-I wanted...to be with...my nanny..." The salty tears were dripping down Lucifer's pallid skin. All of his emotions were smashed together, resulting in moist salt drops dripping down his face and burning his eyes. The pent up frustrations of being alone had gotten to him. It seemed like the bottle broke.

   Adrain could only rub circles onto the teen's back. He had no say in this...after all, he was only a bystander. He didn't know the full story. "Let it all out." He whispered. The cold air latched itself onto his (Lucifer) neck, sending shivers down his spine. 

   Nevertheless, droplets fell. The rest followed in a continuous torrent once that first tear broke free. Lucifer sat on the floor, bending forward and putting his palms to the mat, crying with the force of someone vomiting on all fours.

   It was a depressing scene... Eden would even describe it as pitiful. Azrail could only sigh while sitting down on a chair. 'I'm boreddd...what do we even do?' He said in a high-pitched cry. Eden's eye twitched. It sounded just like a banshee screeching on a microphone with hundred of boomboxes to amplify the damage. 

   Lucifer's sobs weren't helping either along with the ticking clock in the room. It was getting annoying. Azrail kept repeating himself as if he was a broken vinyl record, stuck on a single note for eternity. 

   Until finally, Eden gave up and answered Azrail: "We need to wait, obviously." He clicked his tongue quietly and sat down where Azrail was sitting. Coldness enveloped his body immediately, making him jolt back up.

   'PFTTTT! YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN YOUR FACE!

   'This fucking leech—' He took a deep breath in and calmed himself down. The parasite was still laughing and was even rolling on the ground. He glared at Azrail which earned him an amused grin. 

   The soul-like twin smiled as he approached his missing half. 'You'll never be able to get rid of me, my little Edie...' As black sludge dropped onto the ground, he placed his hand on Eden's face and whispered. 

   "Edgy villain." Azrail gave him an offended look with his mouth being agape. More black goo fell onto the ground. 'H-How dare you!' Azrail exclaimed while pointing his finger. Eden could'e sworn that a cartoon-ish broken heart can be seen on his left chest. 

   He turned away from the pathetic parasite and gazed around the depressingly decorated hospital room until he came across a plush bunny. When Eden approached it and gave it a brief hug, Lucifer's puffy eyes fell on him. 

   The feeble boy cleared his throat and got up to his feet. The color pink dusted his cheeks. Adrain got out his phone and started texting. 'The adult barely comforted the kid at all.' Eden bent his mouth downwards and wrinkled his nose. A look of disgust rattled across his face.

    "Y-You can have it if you w-want..." Said Lucifer as he smiled weakly. Even though he was still afraid, he was gradually warming up to him. Maybe he had a chance after all. His plan on having a new friend couldn't fail...it must not.

   "O-Oh, uh...thanks?" Eden responded, surprised that this boy would just hand over his possessions to a stranger without any explanation. The boy fiddled with his scarf looking downwards again.

   'Clearly he's desperate for friends. I mean, look at him! Alone in the hospital with these sick people. Can't do much now, can he?' Azrail cackled while floating around Lucifer.

   "Also I'll think a-about your offer a bit l-longer." He finished and turned to Adrain who was observing their attention like a hawk. After what seemed like forever, Adrain clapped his hands together and grinned.

    "Alright. You have a day to think about it." Said Adrain while patting Lucifer's head. Lucifer could only meekly nod while turning to his bed and sitting on it afterward. Eden hummed in agreement and they left the room.

   They arrived at the exit of the hospital.

   Despite it being in the morning, the sky was tar-black, and enormous clouds were approaching them. Eden heard a tapping on the window, which turned into a pitter-patter. As the clouds vomited out droplets of water, people raced for cover outside and umbrellas were opened in order to battle this ferocious beast. As the rain became stronger, puddles began to form. He could hear the rain murmur through the glass. It sounded like a swarm of angry bees buzzing around.

   "Oh sh—...damn it! It's raining. Wait here, Eden. I'll get us our umbrella." Said Adrain as he ran towards the parking lot. The rain pierced into his clothes, making sure to soak it up like no tomorrow. He muttered a curse. 

   After a few more minutes of waiting, Azrail began his nagging. 'C'monnn, it's just a little rain.' Eden could already feel white hair sprouting on his scalp if he continued to listen to this brother of his. And so he ventured out into the parking lot rendering Adrain's journey to be completely pointless. He then sat down on a ledge he had discovered.

   "What's a kid doin' down here?" Two possibly drunk men approached the teen...if you can say approach because they were stumbling everywhere trying to form coherent sentences. "How about we make some extra cash for while we are at it?" One of them continued as the other cackled with a bottle of booze in hand.

   "Why not?" And with that, they started to walk closer. Eden took a step back bit by bit until his back nearly hit the wall. Nervousness pooled into his heart as he tried to find an escape route. The ringing in his ear wasn't helping either.

   'Kill them. kIlL tHeM. KILL THEM!'

   "No." Eden said sternly and Azrail went quiet after scoffing. One man staggered toward Eden who jumped back. 

   "Fast one, ain't ya?" He heard the man murmur.

    He set his stuffed bunny down and quickly dodged the men's approach towards him. Adrenaline rush was pumping in his veins as he fought for his survival. Who knew what those men do once he got captured?! He could be sold as a slave to The Capital for fuck's sake! 

   One of the men broke his beer bottle in half and ran towards him at an alarming rate as if he wasn't drunk in the first place. Eden panicked and froze in place. The man was nearing him and he couldn't think of a solution fast enough. He could hear a sigh next to him and it was none other than the self-proclaimed brother of his. 

   'Useless son of a bitch...I'll help you so you better remember this, prick.' He scoffed and possessed Eden's body making him stagger a bit like usual. "You better accept me now or else we'll be staggering for a while." He finished and took off his scarf. 

   Azrail lunged towards the man with the scarf in hand. He wrapped it around the drunk fool and began choking him. He pulled the two ends with all his might as the other man grovel in fear while the other was trying to get a breather. "Die already." Said Azrail nonchalantly. He yawned and after a few more minutes, he stopped struggling.

   "Ho? Is he dead already?" Surprised, Azrail pressed his head against the man's left chest only to be left with a bitter taste in his mouth. He clicked his tongue and found another ledge to sit on. 

   'Is he...?' Eden meekly asked from behind, glancing at the man.

   "He just fainted."

   'Aren't you gonna take our scarf back?' Eden sweat-dropped while pointing at the unconscious man. Azrail only shook his head as he scrunched up his nose. The foul smell of alcohol was hitting his nostrils. 'Oh...' Eden nodded and sat down next to Azrail.

   They were playing the game 'chopstick' when Azrail stood up without a word. Eden raised his eyebrows, perplexed, and followed his twin. The twin strolled over to the man with whom they had previously fought with—even though, it was one-sided—and unravelled the scarf hanging loosely. 

    Azrail stared at the other man who was frozen in place and approached him. He had one hand in his pocket and the other twirling the scarf around. He was whistling as well. 'Why do you look so badass right now?' A smirk crawled to his (Azrail) face. Finally, this wretched brother of his recognized his glory. 

   He came to a complete halt directly in front of him and then vanished, leaving a trail of dust behind—according to the drunk man's eyes. Azrail reappeared behind the victim and grinned, showing off his teeth. And just like before, the choking process began. 

   Eden, in his soul-like state, could only watch as memories of him murdering his parents flashed throughout his mind. As his father battled against his hands, he could still see his expression...the fear in his eyes...it was uncannily identical to the current situation.

   'How did my body get so athletic?' He couldn't help but ask while staring at the man struggling. 

   Azrail pumped up his chest proudly and replied: "I was born with great physical strength compared to your body."

   'That doesn't make sense...? You're a soul though so how can strength transfer into a weak body?

   "Uhhhhh...." Azrail was now lost in thought and Eden sighed. It seemed like Azrail was only born with muscles and not any intelligence. After a few minutes of struggling, the man was down like his friend leaving Azrail to breath heavily, clutching his heart. 

   Eden who was floating around suddenly got pulled back into his body, making him land on his butt. "What was that for?" He asked while getting up. No answer came his way when Eden felt his whole body just flop to the ground. 

   His muscles were hurting like hell. He was fine a few moments ago so why now? Why did he have to lay down on the dirty road next to a drunkard that could vomit on him at any moment when he wakes up?! 

   Life surely was against him as he crawled onto the ledge, trying to balance himself. "Oh shit, I forgot the stuffed bunny." He cursed and crawled once again. When he was almost there, Adrain finally showed up. 

   "What on earth happened while I was gone?" The redhead asked trying to process the situation at hand. There were two grown men who were unconscious on the floor. A familiar-looking scarf was laying on the ground between both of the men and a teenager was crawling on the floor trying to reach a doll. 

    "Kidnapping. Defend." He said briefly as he struggled to the bunny once again. Adrain's mind stopped working for a second. 'Was this what kids do nowadays?' He thought before lifting Eden up along with the bunny that was now in his (Eden) grasp.

   "Sorry that I wasn't there when you...were in danger..." Adrain spoke up feeling the guilt in his heart well up and choking him in the process. As the trauma returned to bite him, his voice cracked. 

   Eden who was as awkward as ever could only say: "It's alright. You couldn't have predicted such a thing to happen." 

   Adrain weakly nodded and with the support of the older man, they walked to the car and the night swallowed Eden up. Adrain smiled fondly and so, the journey to his house finally commenced smoothly.

   They arrived at his place after a thirty-minute drive. Eden was lifted up like a potato sack and carried into Adrain's residence, where he was left on the couch. This was a long day for the man and so, he decided to take a cold shower to wash off the stress.


   "Thank goodness they didn't find that...." Lucifer murmured as he hid that object underneath the bed. A cold expression was on his face. He could still feel her hands around his neck...that cold wretched feeling was suffocating him. Oh, how Lucifer hated those hands. He couldn't wait until he chop them off himself and then feed it to her beloved dogs. 

   But of course, he needed more time. He needed to be more patient so that she could feel his pain and suffer for all eternity. No matter what, she must seize to exist. A grim smile spread across his face. He recalled her adoring glance, which had become stained with such venom that it had thrown him into a rage.

   He let out a sigh of relief. Sooner or later, he could feel his heart being swayed by that woman's ploy. He needed to strengthen his resolve and escape from her clutches before it's too late. Unbeknownst to Lucifer, a certain twin-drilled 'princess' watched his actions of hiding said object with keen eyes. 

   Althea smiled. 'This is really interesting.' She thought and stretched her body. She didn't have much time until Alumina crawled out of her chains and take control. And so she left for her brother's bedroom. Twisting the doorknob, she was greeted with the familiar sound of beeps from he heart monitor. 

   She took a deep breath in and sat down next to the bed. "Hey Daniel! How are you doing?" Althea spoke up while grabbing the unconscious man's hands. Silence was her answer. Even though this had happened before, she couldn't help but hope that one day, he'd open her eyes and smile like he used to do. Her own hands trembled as she blinked away the tears that were brimming out of the corners of her eyes.

   Althea could feel resentment resonate deeply within her heart...the sight of her brother's fall from grace was still vivid in her mind. The teenager remembered every single detail. In her ears, the sharp clanking and cutting noises of the blows repeated.

   It made her feel restless on how helpless she was without her brother. The way her brother shielded her from the merciless blade of that...demon made her skin crawl. Despite the pain, her brother was smiling while whispering words of reassurance as blood gushed out from his back like a crimson waterfall. 

   'That monster dared to look shock.' She thought while replaying that moment over and over like a broken record. Althea sighed. She needed to train more so that this demonic son of a bitch can die. 

   "Wake up soon." She kissed his temples and began brewing some coffee, Daniel's favorite drink. Nothing has really changed much over the course of five months. Her brother was still there and possibly moving onto a vegetative stage. She sipped on the coffee and scrunched up her nose. 

   She finished drinking it even though Althea absolutely detested coffee. This was the only thing that could remind her of her goal of vengeance. She smiled when she remembered how her brother was training with Adrain. It was a fond memory but now, it only left a bitter taste in her mouth. Times have changed for the worst. 

   "Maybe I should use brother's sword..." Said Althea feeling her eyes droop down as slumber was nearing. "See you tomorrow, brother..." She whispered one last time before her consciousness was gone. 


   Lucifer strolled about the hospital, uninterested as always. There was nothing to do when you're stuck in the hospital for most of your life. A stuffy feeling was settling quite comfortably in his mind which annoyed him. He clicked his tongue and decided to visit one of only places he was allowed special access to.

   As he walked down to the break room, he had a stoic expression on his face. He was welcomed by a familiar face when he opened the door, which made him smile.

   "Hey, Lucy! What are you doing here?" Cory Richards, one of the nurses responsible for his health spoke up with a wide smile. He was checking some documents with a patient's contact details.

   "I was bored so I came here." He murmured while playing around with a marble he found in the office. A small sigh escaped from Cory's lips as he ruffled the teen's hair. 

   "I can't really talk with you much since I have to go talk to the head doctor soon." 

   Lucifer pouted and tried to use his puppy eyes on Cory...it failed miserably as an illusory holy shield appeared in front of Cory, who politely declined without a second thought. "Sorry, Luce. He's getting ready for a surgery so I need to get ready. It could last a few hours." 

   "Please...?" He tried again, this time tugging onto the man's sleeves and opening his eyes wider. It somehow worked as Cory only sighed and began talking to the teenager, completely disregarding his work. After a few more minutes, Cory blinked and quickly scrambled to the operating room. 

   "Shit! I'm nearly late." 

   Lucifer stared at the man's back. A gloomy aura surrounded him as nurses ran to the emergency room. Things got boring once again as he stayed in the break room...alone once again just like before. He took a deep breath in. He'll be fine. He moved on from that...experience. He should be fine now.

   He walked back to his room and plopped down on his bed. For some reason, his eyes became droopy and slumber greeted him immediately. Dream land, here we go! 

   *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

   "You can rest now." Said a white-haired woman. She was patting his head gently until—

   "Okay, ꂵꊿꋖꁝꑀꌅ..." Said Lucifer as he fell asleep in the woman's lap. . A scowl was on her face as she stopped patting the boy. The woman pushed Lucifer out of her lap and began glaring. The poor teenager could only stare in fear as his shoulders trembled. 

   "Don't call me that, got it?" She demanded as a knife appeared out of nowhere in her grasp. At this point in time, Lucifer was frozen. He didn't know what to do as the woman inched closer and carved an eye symbol on his collarbone, making him wince. 

   "Remember this symbol, my little Lucy." She cooed and kissed his forehead and her figure dispersed into dust, leaving him alone with the sound of static in the background. He touched his bleeding collarbone and screamed with all his might: "ꄞꂑꂦꁹꍏ!"

   *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

   "Lucy, it's morning. Wake up." Said Cory who came back with sweat piling on his cheeks as dark circles are present underneath his eyes. The man had been in the operating room for the past 5 hours and it was already morning.  

   Lucifer begrudgingly woke up and grumbled a "Thank you". The feeble boy subconsciously touched his collarbone, feeling the scar there. He grimaced as he began stretching. It seemed like he won't be able to forget that wretched woman. 

   Cory placed down a tray of food and Lucifer began eating. "Thanks...Cory..." He said between chewing earning himself a light scolding. After Lucifer finished eating, Cory gave him the book and walked outside with the tray. Lucifer cheered mentally and started writing his first entry.

June, 12th, 2XXX

Dear Diary:
I met Eden just a few days ago. He is nice though a little bit stoic at times. I still don't know much about him but at least, I made a friend (I think?). It's been so lonely here at the hospital.
I want to get out of this hospital. It's always cold and sad and all the medicines taste so bad. Now that I have Eden, I can use him as a heater. His hand is really warm...I feel safe around him. I really miss mom....I don't know when she'll visit me. Maybe when I'm a good boy...maybe then...she'll visit me. That's all, diary.


   'It's so boring...' Azrail whined while sitting down on Adrain's couch. He attempted to poke Eden's face but of course, his fingers only phased through his body. This, however, worked because Eden's eyes flung open immediately. 

   He touched his cheek by reflex feeling the cold reside within it. "Asshole." He murmured and plopped back down onto the couch, continuing to sleep. Azrail's dripping mouth was agape. How dare his brother ignore him like that?! 

   "What?" Eden asked feeling a piercing glare from behind him. Azrail didn't respond but only shook his head disapprovingly. After a while, the twin finally spoke: 'You should be more wary of Adrain.

   Eden was about to ask why but of course, Azrail already flew up to explore their new house. On the sofa, he tossed and turned but couldn't seem to fall asleep. He sat down, frustratedly exhaling his breath. Eden discovered a remote control and decided to watch TV to pass the time while waiting for Adrain, whose whereabouts are unknown.

   "Hey kids, have you ever wanted to play a game—"

   "News flash, a Florida man has been seen running around naked and when captured said that he was doing his daily routine. He also stated that—" he changed it again.

   'Florida sure is a crazy country.' Azrail commented, popping out of nowhere while rubbing the bottom of his chin. "WHat the—" He exclaimed, feeling his soul leave his body. Azrail only cackled when Eden fell off the sofa. 

   'MAN! I should scare you more.' He said wiping imaginary tears from his hollow eyes. He was still holding his stomach and rolling on the floor. Eden sent a glare at his brother and grimaced further at the humiliation. 

   "How long have I been asleep?" 

   'You slept the whole night so...9 hours? Not sure.

   "What about our guardian?"

   'Eh...he's been holed up in his room the whole time you were in dream land.'

   "Thanks. Let's go pay him a visit." Said Eden while stretching. He got up from the sofa and went upstairs. Azrail followed suit with a dumbfounded look on his face. 'Do you even know where his room is?'

   And just like Johnny being caught consuming sugar late at night, Eden's ears flushed a rosy pink color. Azrail shook his head disapprovingly and sighed. 'Follow me, idiot. I'll lead the way.' Azrail grumbled and flew the opposite direction of where Eden was.

  They arrived in front of the door and Eden knocked on it. No response came and so he knocked once more. "I'll be right there..." A probably sleep-deprived Adrain spoke up while scrambling to the door. 

   He was wearing a monocle while eye bags were visible underneath his lone emerald eye. Adrain looked like he just fought a monster and just arrived home. "What's up, Ed?" He asked sipping coffee from a mug that said "#1 Boss". 

   "I wanted to say thank you for...being my...guardian." He managed to utter out sheepishly while rubbing the back of his nape nervously. Adrain's eye widened and a small smile crawled up to his face. He laid down the cup and ruffled Eden's azure blue hair. 

   "No probbery bobbery, Edie!" The one-eyed man exclaimed and winked?...maybe he was just blinking. "Anyways, sorry that I can't really talk much but right now, I'm really busy so you should go to your room and unpack." He continued and his cowlick flopped down like a kicked puppy. 

   "I promise I'll hang out with you as soon as I'm done!...I heard that kids these days require a lot of attention..." Adrain said, murmuring the last part with his hand underneath his chin. "So uhhh, sorry buddy." The door slowly creaked backwards, effectively shutting Eden out. 

   "What a talkative guy."

   'You're going the wrong way again.' Azrail sighed, floating near the ceiling. "Well sorry for not knowing, jeez." Eden grumbled and followed Azrail into their new room—it's not like, Adrain knew about Azrail but yeah.

   "Woah...this is a pretty big room. There's even a bunk bed! I've always wanted one!" Eden's eyes sparkled in fascination as he explored his room, touching everything he could. He seemed like an excited child going to D*sney World for the first time. 

   'Whatever, I'm going to bed.' His twin declared and plopped down on the top bunker.

   "I thought you didn't need to sleep."

   'Don't wanna watch you sleep.' He shrugged and sunk into the bed. Eden only watched in amusement until he too, slipped into his own bed. 'Oh yeah, when will you get back your phone?

   "I...forgot entirely about it...damn! Kim Cheon-Sa's livestream is today too..." Eden deflated into a pile of potatoes. "She was going to do a collaboration with Yoo Seon-Nyeo..." He continued rambling on and on about his idols. 

   'Uh...who?' And with that, Azrail barely went to sleep as Eden's rambling speed increased by ten fold. It seemed like he stepped on a landmine. Alas, after much more rambling, the twins fell asleep as the death of the night greeted them with open arms.

0