Half-breed
29 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day is finished as the final bell for school rings. The school hall fills up with students and faculty as they try to make their way home. Kevin was among the crowd heading to his locker to empty it out as this was his final full day of school. All that was left was to graduate, but that wasn't on his mind right now. The dream he had in class continues to haunt him. He knew what really happened; they went home. There were no soldiers, no man in a three-piece suit, just a normal evening. Even though he knew in his dream, those events didn’t happen, it felt real, too real.

"Damn, the third time this month. Why is this happening to me?" He asks himself. As he continues to walk through the heavy crowd of students who are moving past him, whether in a hurry or just passing by. From a distance, his friends Johnny and Sara are trying to catch up with him as they attempt to maneuver through the heavy traffic of students. 

Yo! Kev, wait up! Johnny yelled, trying to get Kevin's attention, but he was too far away to be heard among the loud conversations and hustling and bustling of the traffic in the hallway. Kevin reaches his locker and starts to empty out all the junk he collected over the years into his bookbag.

"What does it all mean? He thinks to himself. Why am I dreaming about...that night?"

Kevin wakes from his train of thought as his phone blares out Johnny's ringtone; he takes it out of his jacket pocket and answers.

"Hey, Johnny, what's up?"

"What's up? Bro, what's going on with you?"

"What are you talking about?" Kevin asks.

Before Johnny could answer, Kevin suddenly feels a sharp pain to the back of his head as Sara, from behind, hits him hard with her notebook.

"You jerk, where were you, Mars? We've been calling out to you, and you were ignoring us." She yells back with her notebook in hand.

"Ow! Jeez, did you have to hit so hard?" Kevin replies annoyed as he looks back to see an upset Sara as he rubs the back of his sore head to ease the pain.

"Look, whatever is bothering you, forget it. I need you two chuckle heads to focus on winning the WVAMA this weekend. This is our chance to make it to national guys." Sara says with excitement.

As the three continue to talk amongst themselves, Stewart walks down the hallway, maneuvering around the crowd as he looks for Kevin. However, Stewart was looking pale, paler than before. He holds his head as a headache slowly builds, making it difficult for him to focus.

"Man, I can't shake this headache; but I gotta find Kevin." Stewart thinks to himself. He stops to look around the hallway and spots Kevin and his friends. Kevin closes his emtpy locker, and the three begin to leave. Stewart quickly tries to catch up but bumps into Mike, the school's star football player, and his friends. Mike happened to be carrying an open bottle of soda. When Stewart bumps into him, the impact causes Mike to spill a large amount of it on his letterman jacket.

"Look whatcha did, you little freak!" Mike yells at Stewart.

He grabs Stewart by the collar of his shirt, bringing him closer to his face. His friends watch in amusement, looking forward to their fearless leader beating the crap out of him. Helpless, Stewart couldn't express his fear of possibly being beaten to death, only pain as his headache began to build.

"Mike, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, please let me go; I-I don't have much time."

"You bumped into me, weirdo." Says Mike. "That means you're not leaving till you fix this. Or I can knock some sense into you till you do."

Stewart's headache becomes too much as tears weld up in his eyes. The vein in his head slightly bulges, developing pressure. Mike notices Stewart's tears and continues to entice him as he taps him on the forehead.

"You're gonna cry now? Dude, man up."

Unable to hold it, Stewart holds his head and yells in pain. The students and faculty stop and turn to face Stewart, Mike, and his friends as they draw attention to themselves, including Kevin, Johnny, and Sara.

The teachers see it as Mike bullying Stewart and begin to walk towards the scene. Several other Students began using this opportunity to take out their cellphones and record this moment of a popular sports jock about to get busted.

"My head!" Yells Stewart. "I can't take it."

Suddenly Stewart is engulfed in a purple energy-like aura, just like Kevin's dream. Mike and his comrades were unsure what was happening, but they noticed the teachers coming their way. Soon everyone, including Kevin and his friends noticed the purple light emitting from Stewart as they all turn to face him. Kevin’s eyes widen as this was starting to bring up the dream he’s been having.

What the- Mike softly says watching Stewart glow before his eyes. He lets him go as Stewart goes down on his knees screaming in pain. Mike takes a few steps back as he notices the purple energy continue to build around Stewart. One of Mike’s friends reaches out and grabs him by the shoulder to get Mike’s attention.

"Bruh, we gotta bail. The teachers are coming, man."

Mike and his friends start to leave as the teachers were moving closer to the scene. Stewart continues to yell in pain but unaware the environment around him started to move. Kevin noticed right away as he started to see locks on lockers rattle. Then the lockers themselves began to vibrate. Suddenly the were violently reacting as Stewart’s energy grew even the lights were starting to flicker. Stewart then yells even louder unleashing s a shockwave of energy, pushing everyone and everything away. The impact of the shockwave causes the lights to overpower with energy till they burst, shattering glass everywhere. Anyone with cell phones; had shorted out as the blast effected the electronic devices like an electric magnetic pulse. Lockers begin to bend forward, reacting to the impact of the force in the energetic push. The purple energy dissipates Stewart still on his knees pants from exhaustion. Though relieved that the pressure in his head, the pain he succumbed to, was gone, he begins to hear the whispers from those around him. He looks up and notices several students and a teacher on the floor unconscious. Several people like Mike, his friends, Kevin, and his friends were sitting up, stunned by what they had just witnessed. Stewart was a Seirei Jin half breed

"Y-You're one of them," Mike exclaims, and he gets up and starts to move away from Stewart.

"He's a Seirei Jin!" A student yells out loud.

Those who were awake and could stand started running towards the school's exit, screaming. Others shouted, "he's a Jin," to warn anyone who didn't see or hear what was happening. Teachers and other faculty were helping students to evacuate the school. A female teacher rushes to an alarm similar to a fire alarm, only painted blue, attached to the wall; above the alarm was a sign reading "In case of a Seirei Jin Attack." Like a fire alarm, she grabs the lever and pulls down on it, activating it.

In another part of the city lies a building, home of the Advant Guard, a task force that captures Seirei Jin of all ages. In the main room, a large monitor displays a map of the city of Parkersburg. In the center of the room, analysts were monitoring possible sightings of seirei jin in the areas. The large monitor blares out an alarm indicating a sighting. Everyone looked up at the monitor, where they saw a target symbol over a school.

"Attention. There's a Seirei Jin sighting at Charles Adams' High School. Class: unknown, maybe considered dangerous. Proceed with caution." Reports the receptionist.

A group of fifteen soldiers assembled to their group leader, waiting for their orders.

"Alright, men, let's make sure we bag and tag this threat before it tries to escape. Soldiers, to your vehicles." Orders the squad leader.

"Sir, yes, sir!" The soldiers respond in unison.

"Pardon me, chief." Replies a man from a distance.

The squad leader and his crew look towards the direction they heard the voice to see a man in his late forties dressed in a brown tanned three-piece suit and a fedora just like Agent Parker.

"A-agent Reynolds?! What are you doing here?" Asked the squad leader.

"Just a routine checkup, but it's been a while since I've been out in the field; I don't want to get rusty. Mind if I join the hunt?" He asks.

Yes, of course. The squad leader replies.

Reynolds followed the squad of soldiers as they boarded and filled four assigned black SUVs. Agent Reynolds chose to sit in the front passenger of the lead SUV, and the team drove off to the high school to go after the suspect. Meanwhile, back at the high school, Stewart stands to his feet still shaking off the effects of his psychic blast as students and faculty were evacuating the school for safety. Mike and his friends ran off, worried about what Stewart would do next. Kevin's friends were urging Kevin to do the same, but he was still curious about Stewart's new identity. He knew he should run but what he saw happen to Stewart just now reminded him of his dream; his curiosity sparked wondering if he could help.

"Come on, Kevin, what are you doing?" Sara yells. "They called the Advant Guard; we better go before this gets real."

Stewart noticed Kevin and his friends were leaving he stretches out his hand towards them.

"Wait!" Stewart cries out, trying to get their attention. "Kevin, I need to speak to you."

Me? Kevin replies confused.

Johnny yanks Kevin by the arm as Sara pushes him trying to guide Kevin away from the half breed.

"Like hell you are." Replies Johnny. "You ain't going near him, freak."

Annoyed at Kevin's friends as they drag Kevin further away from him, Stewart uses his abilities. He instantly teleports himself in front of Kevin and his friends. They stopped in place, surprised to see Stewart appear in front of them.

"Just Back off!" Stewart yells as he raises his hands, and suddenly, Johnny and Sara are lifted from the ground. With his powers, Stewart had the two over his head; he then throws them to nearby lockers. He then quickly grabs Kevin by the wrist.

H-hey! Kevin yells looking at Stewart, he then looks over to his friends who were hurt on the ground.

"We need to talk." Stewart said earnestly.

With Kevin in hand, Stewart teleports them both away from the hallway and ends up outside of the school, away from the chaos. Stewart sits on a railing to regain his composure, still exhausted from his energy burst earlier. Kevin however was getting over the nauseating feeling of instantly being transported to another area. Once it faded, he looked around realizing they were at the back of the school, away from the evacuation.

Yo, we’re outside. He exclaims.

"Phew!" Stewart sighed in relief. "My headache is finally gone. Damn, I didn't think I would make that big of an explosion. Sorry about that."

"Sorry?!" Kevin questions Stewart. "Did you see what you did to that hallway? They called the Advant Guard; you better bail before they get here."

"Actually, this is as far as I go, man. This was supposed to happen so we could finally meet. Besides, I'm not the one they're really after."

"Finally meet?! What are you talking about?" Kevin asks as he looks at Stewart, concerned but confused.

"One day, I saw you in a dream; no, it was a vision. Stewart closed his eyes, trying to recall what he remembered in his vision. It was late at night; I think you were just a kid, ten; that’s when they came after you."

Kevin's eyes widen as he realizes that Stewart's vision was actually his dream. The very dream he kept seeing for months.

"Wait, that's my dream, but how?"

Stewart stands up and smiles at Kevin.

"Helllooo! Remember I'm a seirei jin; Or at least a half-breed. He said then he taps on his forehead. I can see into people’s minds, predict the future, you know comic book stuff.

Then Stewart’s smile becomes serious as he looks at Kevin concerned. I saw into your mind, you’re a half breed, like me.

"Me?! A Jin half-breed?! I can't be." Kevin states as he steps back in disbelief at what he just heard.

Remember what they taught us in grade school? Half breeds are the results of a seirei jin making out with a human and-

Inherit jin powers. Kevin snaps at Stewart interrupting him. I know that, but I can’t be a half breed, my parents are human.

Maybe you were adopted, like me. Replied Stewart. I found out what I was when my powers awakened, and I could see into people’s minds. They’re not my parents, and if they found out, they wouldn’t hesitate to call the guard.”

No! Kevin says as he starts to pace back and forth in frustration scratching his head trying to understand everything he was being told but it didn’t add up.

"This doesn't make sense! Kevin stops and points at Stewart in anger. You’re wrong, I’m not a half-breed.

"Kevin, that dream you've been having really happened." Stewart said resting his hand on Kevin’s shoulder.

I don’t believe you! Kevin said brushing Stewart’s hand off his shoulder.  We weren't attacked; we-"

Went home as if nothing happened?" Stewart asks as he finishes Kevin’s sentence. Kevin looks at Stewart surprised as he was about to say that; he looks at him confused.

"How did you?"

Stewart points to his head again to remind Kevin about his ability.

"I can read thoughts remember? Think about your dream Kevin. That was the Advant Guard that came after you guys that night. Why do you think they attacked you?" He questions.

"I don't know," Kevin answers sharply. "I was just a kid.

Kevin paces back and forth again still trying to connect everything to his dream versus what happened but was still drawing a blank as some parts were still fogging. Stewart quietly watches though he knew what was suppose to happen next but he just waits patiently for his turn to speak. Kevin then stops as he remembered what Stewart mentioned earlier.

“Wait, half breeds are supposed to have powers, right? Well, I don't have any." Kevin says throwing his hands up expecting Stewart to find the solution to

Stewart walks up to Kevin and stares at him. Kevin started to feel weirded out.

"What are you doing?"

"Relax, I wanna see something," Stewart replies.

Stewart gazes at Kevin's eyes but mostly at his right with the odd-looking birthmark. Stewart's pupils glow purple, then automatically dilate. Kevin's eyes didn't respond, but as Stewart peers closer, looking deep into Kevin's subconscious, the odd-looking birthmark over Kevin's Iris glows blue and spreads towards his pupil as if to block Stewart from peering any closer. Kevin noticed something odd happening to his right eye and responded by moving away and rubbing it as it irritated him.

Damn, my eye! What did you do to me?" He asks.

Stewart quickly blinks and his eyes became normal again. He started thinking about why he couldn't go any further. But at least he knew that he was right, even though he knew he was right about Kevin being a Seirei Jin.

"There's no doubt about it; you're a half-breed. You got something inside you that’s blocking your powers; like some kind of seal.

2