The Advant Guard
27 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kevin puts his hand down not just because the irritating feeling in his eye was, but the fact that Stewart may be right. His right eye was never like this before. It was when he was ten years old, and they were coming back from the Motorcycle event; that he fell and injured himself or at least that’s what his folks told him. Then he thought about his dream and how a bullet grazed over his right cheek and how his skin started to peel revealing a blue light. He touches his cheek as he thought about how he used his powers to kill several guards. It scared him as he saw how powerful he was and the fact that he may have taken people’s lives. Stewart looks at Kevin as he could see that he was realizing what he is.

Kevin, it's only a matter of time; someone will find out what you are."

Kevin lowers his hand as he looks at Stewart nervous and unsure of what to do.

"But why me? Why now?" Kevin asks.

Before Stewart can answer, the two hear the sound of vehicles driving at high speeds coming their way. One by one, four armored vehicles drive through the school's closed back gates and towards Stewart and Kevin.

"The Advant Guard!" Both Kevin and Stewart say in union.

The four vehicles parked on the grass, all next to each other, and opened their back doors. A flood of soldiers came out of the vehicles armed with non-lethal weapons and stood in position, awaiting their orders. Agent Reynolds was the last to come out of the vehicle from the front passenger side. With a calm composure, he stands in the center with the other soldiers around him and looks at the two teens with a smile.

"Good afternoon, gentleman." Agent Reynolds replies as he tips his hat to the two boys, still smiling. "We received a distress signal from your school of a potential half-breed sighting. As you know a half-breed can become unstable; their powers are unpredictable and uncontrollable. You might consider their kind a threat to society; our job is to prevent that from happening.

Agent Reynolds looks closely at the two boys, especially Kevin, as something about him looked familiar, and he couldn't figure it out.

"Which one of you is the threat?" He kindly asks.

Sir! A young girl calls out.

An armored female soldier steps out of her ranks and approaches Agent Reynolds with a tablet in her hand. She salutes Reynolds, and he salutes back.

"You have something for me, specialist?" Reynolds asks.

"Sir, I’ve scanned the teenagers: Kevin Riley, age eighteen, I'm not picking up any signs of reiki activity emitting from his body. However, Stewart Weitzman, age 16, is producing a substantial amount and still rising. He's a class "A" type." She replies.

"Class "A," huh?" Reynolds then looks directly at an annoyed Stewart. "Stewart, is it? It's our job to bring you in, son. If you resist capture, we will have no choice but to use force. What do you want?"

"Hey! Screw you!" Stewart yells as he flips Agent Reynolds the bird with both his hands.

"Now, son, please reconsider. I wouldn't want to make you look like a fool in front of these people. Your powers are growing, kid, and they may be unstable, so-"

Reynolds stops as he hears the sound of a gun cocked. He then feels something pressing against his back. He carefully looks back to see a young male soldier with a frightened look on his face shaking as if trying to resist. Reynolds then realizes it was the nozzle of the soldier's handgun that's pressing against his back.

"Is there a problem, lieutenant?"

"Agent Reynolds, forgive me, sir." The young male soldier replied as he continued holding his gun to the agent's back. "I-I can't control myself."

Agent Reynolds then realizes that Stewart is using his powers. He looks at Stewart closely to see the iris of his eyes glowing purple along with a shroud of purple aura around him.

"That's it, kid, only one?" Reynolds asks. "I was expecting more from a class "A."

Suddenly one after another, all the soldier's surrounded, Agent Reynolds. They all started facing him, aiming their weapons. Reynolds looks at the soldiers seeing that they no longer had fear in their eyes but blank stares as though they were in a trance. In the situation Agent Reynolds was in, anyone would be worried about how they would get out. Agent Reynolds, however, was calm, and a little amused.

"Well, now, that's more like it."

“How’s this for class? “A” old man?” Berates a soldier. Reynolds deducts that it wasn’t the soldier but Stewart using his telepathic abilities. “I have your troops. This must suck for you to be powerless. Good thing you’re wearing brown slacks.”

As Stewart was gloating, Reynolds was trying to reach into the lining of jacket where a secret pocket was kept, but since Stewart was controlling the soldiers, he noticed Reynold’s movements and reacted by using the soldier that still had the gun on Reynold’s back.

“Don’t even think about it; I need your hands up so I can see them.” Stewart orders through the guard.

Reynolds obeys and brings his hands up, smiling at Stewart. Kevin looks at Stewart, concerned about what’s happening.

“Dude, you got him. Now’s your chance to get out of here.”

“Nah, man, this is a perfect opportunity.”

Stewart raises his hands. All the soldiers, with the exception of the one preventing Reynolds from moving, lowered their non-lethal weapons and stood at attention.

“Yo, what are you doing?” Kevin asks.

“Changing my fate.” Stewart answers.

Stewart motions his right hand towards the soldiers as though he was picking something up. As he did so, the soldiers took out their assigned pistols and aimed them at their own heads. Kevin then realizes what Stewart was trying to do. He rests his hand on Stewart’s shoulder to get his attention, but Stewart refuses to look back.

“Stewart, you’re better than this,” Kevin said.

“Am I? To them, we’re instruments, lab rats, weapons for their gain. I won’t let them.”

Stewart then pretends to hold a gun in his right hand; with his thumb; he bends it. As he bends it, the soldiers cock their pistols simultaneously as they load a bullet into the chamber of their pistols. Kevin looks at Stewart, afraid that he may have become mentally unstable, as Agent Reynolds stated earlier. Reynolds, however, remains calm despite everything that is happening to his troops.

“Stewart, you don’t have to kill them; just leave this place.” Kevin insists, worried about what Stewart will do.

“Open your eyes, man; this place ain’t real,” Stewart yells back.

“What?!” Kevin exclaims as he moves back, shocked at what he is hearing.

“This city wants to make us think everything and everyone is normal, but they’re all in on it; every last one of them.”

“That’s enough!” Yells Reynolds.

With quick reflexes, Reynolds clicks the heels of his shoes. Hidden under the sleeves of his right arm, a cylinder like device with a red button, springs out, and he catches it in midair. He quickly presses it and throws it towards the boys. The device lands in front of them rolling between Stewart’s feet. The boys look down to see what it was as the device stretches out revealing tiny speakers as it begins to emit a high pitch frequency that only seemed to affect Stewart. Stewart covers his ears as the sound becomes too much for him to bear. He hollers in agony and goes down on his knees. Kevin reaches out to him to try and help.

“Stewart, what’s happening? Another headache?” Kevin asks, unsure of what’s going on.

Stewart was unable to concentrate as the sound started piercing beyond his ears. It felt as though it was echoing in his brain. Stewart then tries to use all his powers to block out the sound. He does so by relinquishing his control over all the troops giving Reynolds the moment to attack. Reynolds pushes the confused troops aside as he runs towards the two teens. Stewart looks up to see Reynolds coming closer. Stewart pushes Kevin out of the way, as Reynolds hops over the railing to grab Stewart. Stewart faces Reynolds and begins to gather his energy in his hands to try and blast him away with a psychic blast, but Reynolds quickly takes out a round device from his jacket and slams it on Stewart’s chest causing him to step back as he almost fell. The hard push caught Stewart by surprise as it knocked the wind out of him for a second.. The device then activates based on the impact and opens up, shooting out a specialized elastic strait jacket that wraps around Stewart from his mouth down to his waist. Stewart falls over, trying to break out of the jacket. Reynolds shuts off the sound-inducing device and stands over Stewart.

“I must admit, I was impressed, kid…just a little though,” Reynolds replies with a smirk on his face.

Stewart activates his powers; his aura builds around him, but the stray jacket reacts as it detected reiki activity and absorbs the energy draining Stewart of his powers. His aura then fades, and Stewart begins to feel weak and exhausted.

“You’re probably wondering why you can’t use your powers. This is a special type of restraint tailor-made for your kind. It absorbs your reiki powers which means you’re as normal as us humans now.” Reynolds explains.

Unable to speak, Stewart looks at Kevin, who is sitting up from the push from earlier that caused him to fall back. He still looks confused about what’s going on. With whatever power he has left, Stewart’s pupil glows a low-lit purple.

“Kevin.” He calls, speaking to Kevin telepathically.

Kevin reacts as he can hear Stewart in his mind. Stewart? Kevin replied in his head.

“This is my fate, I guess I couldn’t change it after all.” Said Stewart, tired as the jacket is draining his energy. “But it won’t be for you.”

Reynolds looks at Stewart and then at Kevin as they are just staring at each other. He then realizes Stewart was talking to Kevin telepathically and becomes concerned.

What do I do?” Kevin asks Stewart in his head.

Reynolds reaches for Stewart’s neck and presses at a certain pressure point causing Stewart to become sleepy.

“Don’t… trust anyone. They will find you, but you must… let go-

Stewart was then knocked out by the pressure point, breaking the telepathic link between him and Kevin. Reynolds looks back at his comrades as they snap out of their trance state, all questioning each other about what happened.

“Quit standing around and put this kid in the van; we’re done here.” Orders Reynolds.

The troops respond by sending a couple to retrieve Stewart and putting him in one of the vans. Both Reynolds and Kevin were on their feet watching the whole thing take place. Reynolds then looks over at Kevin, who looks at Reynolds with disgust.

“You ok kid?” Reynolds asks.

“What are you going to do to him?” Kevin asks sternly.

“Sorry, son, that’s classified information. It comes with this line of work. Rest assured, he’ll be in good hands.” Reynolds answers coldly.

Kevin clenches his fists upset that he couldn’t stop Reynolds if he wanted. He witnessed just how fast and skillful this agent was; he realized he wouldn’t stand a chance against him if he tried. Kevin felt helpless. From a distance, Kevin started hearing the sounds of someone running towards them.

“Yo Kev!” Shouts Johnny from a distance.

Kevin looks back and sees his friends Sara and Johnny running to meet up with him. Though worried, they were soon relieved to see that their friend Kevin was safe.

“Kevin, you had us worried,” Sara says with relief as she was the first to reach Kevin. She embraces him, something that she often doesn’t express as she likes to show off as uncaring and unaffectionate towards Kevin, but deep down, she secretly has a crush on him, and she has for some time. This display of affection catches Kevin off guard, as he’s never seen Sara act this way. Realizing that she was showing that side of her, she lets Kevin go and punches him in the arm.

“You idiot, how could you let that monster take you?” she yells at him.

Kevin rubs his sore arm, as it hurts but not so much.

“Nice to see you too,” Kevin replies, annoyed at Sara’s odd display of affection.

Johnny arrives as the three are united. He looks past his friends to see the Advant Guard as they start to board the vans, and Agent Reynolds on the phone.

“To think, that thing was in the school, man,” Johnny says carelessly.

“Hey, that thing’s name was Stewart. Kevin retorts at Johnny.

Johnny and Sara both look at each other, confused as to why Kevin is showing empathy for a jin half-breed. Reynolds gets off the phone and faces the three teens.

“Ok, shows over. I informed the principal that the threat was contained. You three should be heading home to your folks.” Reynolds Orders the three

“Yea, we get it,” Sara replies. “We’re leaving.”

Johnny and Sara begin to leave, but Kevin looks at Reynolds coldly. Reynolds, however, looks at Kevin studying his face. He smiled as he realized who Kevin was.

“Do me a fav, will ya, kid?” Reynolds asks. “Say hi, to your father Ben for me.”

Kevin’s cold expression then changes to fear as Reynolds knows who his father is, which makes him concerned about what else he may know.

“What did you say?” Kevin asks.
Agent Reynolds tips his hat to Kevin and leaves.

“See ya around, kid.”

Agent Reynolds heads to the lead van and sits in the front passenger seat. One by one, the vehicles leave the school premises; Kevin then leaves along with his friends heading home but thinking about all that happened.

Agent Reynolds, with a laptop in hand, was writing his report about today’s capture when his Cell phone rang. Without hesitation, he answers.

“Reynolds here.” He replies.
“Was it him?” The guy on the other line asks.
“No, sir, it was a class A that happened to reveal his reiki powers, probably due to someone setting him off. However, the boy was there, and I don’t think it was a coincidence those two met.” Reynolds explains.

“Agent Reynolds, you know it’s been eight years since that incident. If he isn’t showing signs of reiki activity, we should cut our losses and move on with the project.” The man answers sternly.

“Remember the old saying, “Good things comes to those who wait.” “I’m pretty sure the boy will reveal his true potential and soon,” Reynolds replies confidently.

“What makes you so sure?” The guy asks.

“Call it a hunch, sir.” Reynolds answers. Reynolds looks back at an unconscious Stewart guarded by several troops. He smiles his trademark smile as he knows Stewart would be the key to figuring out how to tap into Kevin’s hidden reiki powers.

“I have my methods.”

2