Ch 4: A Conjecture
82 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well at least I have a weapon"

As much as he wanted to sit back and continue evaluating his situation and the possibility of some evil god literally dragging him to this reality. He first needed to think more practically.

With the pyramid of needs...

"Yeah this is going to be a pain and a half"

With a sigh, he continued to think. The first thing he needs to do is satisfy his physical needs, thankfully the eggs and bread in his stomach were still there by some miracle, he actually didn't throw up! that's a plus in his book, but he still needed to find some food, water and shelter if he wanted to preserve his existence in the middle of nowhere.

So hunting and collecting it was it was.

"Although the spear will be useful I rather get something more throwable at quick speeds to catch birds"

Coincidentally, spears are throwable, but he discarded the idea once he understood that he never even used a spear in the first place, and to use it to catch birds? delusional. So he wanted something more along the lines of a slingshot. Actually, he was jumping some steps, didn't he? why the fuck was there a spear in his hands anyway? he tried to remember anything and he landed on his answer quickly, pulling status and looking into [Otherworlder] he found his answer.

[...Gain a weapon of the user's preference...]

' I see... that's concerning '

Felix was crept out, he believed that this would be something along the lines of giving him the option between a predetermined pool of weapons so that he chooses his ' preferred ' weapon, like a game. Instead, the system straight up gave him what it thought would be his preferred weapon directly.

And it was spot on.

Felix is a ' basic bitch ' in his own words, he really likes swords and the fights that generally are shown with them, he, of course, knew that this was mere fantasy and that reals sword fighting does not involve a constant clash of sword or even prolonged battles. He simply didn't care and completely disregarded all opinions of the sort with a ' nice opinion dude, but who asked? '. Even then, he still pondered in his old world about what weapon he would use in a practical sense, and the answer was a clear one,

A spear.

Felix wasn't an idiot, he disliked being called intelligent but he didn't deny it. He had quite a wealth of knowledge stored in his grey matter, obtained through the laborious task of watching Youtube videos for up to 8 hours a day. Since he actually liked learning the cause of things he understood that the spear is simply superior in practicality to a mere sword.

The principle towards the weapon, no... towards tools, actually scrap that... the principle behind fucking strength and force itself was that it was derived out of 2 things, the force/speed/newtons or whatever method to gauge the strength and the amount of space in which this force is applied.

So to apply more strength. It either requires literally putting more force or reducing the area where the force is applied so it's more concentrated, that was what weapons and tools like swords and hammers helped with.

When one swings a stick, the tip of the stick will always be faster than the handle, since it has to travel a greater distance, increasing the strength, and because that said stick is only so thick it has a reduced area where it can deliver that force, increasing the force once again, and if you factor in technique, mass, materials, etc.. the force will be multiplied even more.

So basically humans went from causing decent blunt damage to extreme stabby damage.

So the spear is the best option, with more range, the sharp point is small enough to surpass the sword and finally is throwable, it is also nice that spears are not that complex of a weapon. There are definitely different ways to use spears but less complicated than swords, making spears a good first choice of a weapon for beginners.

The system somehow knew that I wanted a spear... subconsciously.

' Horrifying I tell you '

"Anyways the spear is pretty cool and all thanks... god? system? whatever entity thank you"

He decided to hunt his food with the spear, he didn't have any confidence in it but it should be fine since it could theoretically be used on a river for fishing.

As he started finally taking his first steps he immediately tumbled and fell, he tried again but this time more carefully. The balance of his body was a bit off of what he was used to but it wasn't so bad as to impede his movements for more than a few minutes. Now he was decidedly walking in a random direction to see if he could spot anything other than grass.

With the spear in his hand, he decided to move it around to test how it felt. Swing around there, poke the grass there, tried a few stances to throw or thrust the spear. He really was playing with a toy rather than testing a deadly weapon.

To test the sharp point he swung the sharp edge against the poor grass, it pass through it cutting a decent chunk of it. He was impressed, cutting grass by swinging without any other input was difficult, after all the grass would get out the way rather than getting cut, so he either had a lot of sudden strength or the spear was really good.

' Alright, time to hunt? I guess searching for some shelter would be good, dehydration should not be a problem if I encounter either a river, lake, or some rain '

Felix set out in his random direction decided by spinning his spear in the air, it pointed at... a direction.

"Alright then, the adventure begins!"

He said in a dead tone, betraying the content of his words. He was actually purposefully ' setting up flags ' so that something may happen in his travel time, after all, he was in a weird world. Maybe anime logic worked in this one?

 

Felix was not really a stranger to hunting for food because he came from almost the bottom of the barrel in his childhood. In terms of financial situation, his family had enough to actually live decently with food, his dad still hunted for food to save money. He remembers fondly how his dad made a ' slingshot ' out of an industrial-grade rubberband, a piece of leather taken from some jeans logo, and a Y-shaped branch.

Felix himself could not pull the slingshot all the way back since the rubber was extremely tough, his dad of course could stretch it with ease and the stones that he launched were fast enough to catch birds in mid-flight.

It was not the same, he could try to see the similarities but it was a completely strange situation, he wondered ' should I be panicking? ', ' Is it okay to trust everything to chance? ', ' Can I even go back? ' and more important questions were being thrown in his mind, but most of them were being deflected with a clear ' Survival is more important than answering questions right now '.

But he could not help it. He was bothered by not seeing the usual sign of civilization, homesickness they call it. Sadly this sickness can neither bring him home nor kill him to relieve him of his growing anxiety.

' Cannot breakdown mentally unless I'm safe after all! '

Supposedly, humor is a good way to cope with crushing sadness, he himself has seen his old friend Benjamin, a class clown but with severe problems back home, so he was using it to at least try to cheer himself up.

' Being sad does not solve problems! '


 

It has been a few hours since Felix started his ' Pilgrimage ' as he called it, He has encountered some grassy hills and some white flowers as he traveled, no animals were spotted by him yet. These flowers were white tulips, by the way, they were the normal kind of tulips. Him not knowing the name was only his own disinterest in flowers in his own world.

' As expected, encountering animals is not as easy as it seems'

Traps were made with the reasoning that it was possible to catch food while not being there AND that prey was not easy to encounter. Obvious in hindsight. Felix could only continue his journey while trying to search for a river.

While he was walking he decided to take an active title, since they were basically interchangeable there wasn't any worry over what to pick, so he decided to take [Otherworlder] as it seemed like the most broken one.

It did have the risk of people seeing it, he actually didn't know if people could see his status, he was certain that it would not be that easy to do since even objects were not able to be ' appraised ' so he just took the title without hesitation after all the benefits were worth it in his opinion.

[Active: +100% gained EXP from all sources.]

 

EXP, Experience points maybe? whatever they were, were at least similar to how games handled character growth. The system seemed to use the experience to raise your LV, and since the passive of [Otherworlder] gave +1 to all stats, it could be said to be something like a cheat.

' Well is not like I know the average LV and Stats of things here, so it could be somewhat normal '

Also, there was something he could guess since there was a title like [Otherworlder], it could be said that he wasn't the only one summoned, or that he wasn't the first one, or that the system simply understood that it was a possibility with the magic available in this world, so such title was created with those reason in mind.

〈 Gained skill [Conjecture LV1] through constant usage 〉

"...Excuse me?"

Felix had stopped dead on his track as his eyes widened, he heard something like a notification right? he wasn't even sure himself so he decided to open the Status menu, and lo and behold, [Conjecture] was there.

' So... how do I Interpret this? '

Felix had cold seat dripped from his back, it was a chilling realization that indeed, the system was somehow getting information from him, the spear was one thing, but the system seemed to reward him for how he was thinking? from what he conjectured? or was that how it was leveled up? he just checked the skill to be sure.

[Conjectures LV1: When focused, It is easier to make conjectures of broad strokes of information]

'Ugh...'

[Conjecture] Was a skill, which was troubling since he got the skill out of apparently thin air, this meant a lot of things and confirmed others. The idea that he just leveled up could be tossed up for a couple of reasons, he already was making a lot of assumptions since he came to this world, although it was only been at most 5 hours.

Next was because the active effect of [Otherworlder] was already in effect, it made his theoretical EXP gain double. But how could this be quantified in the first place? making a conjecture implied simple thinking, but what dictated the EXP gain of the skill? was it how many conjectures you made? the quality of it? if it was right? all of the above?

〈 [Conjecture] went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉

' That answers the questions of skill usage...  but it does not pinpoint the exact answer!!! '

Skill usage makes skills level up naturally, so EXP can be gained through the usage of respective skills. It was something now confirmed, it was now up to chance wherever this EXP was affected by [Otherworlder] but it would make sense if it would. The value of the EXP was up in the air since the requirement for EXP was not known.

' If  EXP is a scarce resource then it's a godsend, if not it would be a nice bonus '

Double was double at the end of the day.

5