Ch 6: All rivers lead to [Nerodia]
82 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felix was in an airplane, a very weird thing to be in since he had never been in one, but he was pretty comfortable. He was thinking about the absurdity of the situation.

' A pressurized tube about 7,500 m in the sky, what a cool concept '

Of course, Felix found everyday situations a bit fascinating since they do seem normal at first glance, after a while the plane went into a thunderstorm and finally crashed into an island. Felix thankfully survived thanks to how cushy the seat was, sadly he was the only one aboard the plane.

' What a weird plane, and what's with this heat ?'

As the heat of some flames that were ignited rose, he simply tried to move from his seat, but he was basically bounded to it, he tried to look as to why he was trapped but before he could do something about it...

*yawn*

He woke up.

 

Felix lazily rose from the cold ground and started stretching a bit, as he was stretching he caught a glimpse of the river and decide to simply wash his face. He really wanted to take a bath after being caked in sweat by his immense pain, but he figured it would be fine since it's only been a day since he came to this world.

He walked to the river and grabbed a bit of water and quickly splashed his face, he dried it off with his green cape, then he checked his face and nodded in satisfaction until he noticed something...

' I'm frowning? '

He looked at the reflection on the water, the water itself wasn't that calm so it was difficult to see his face completely but after a few seconds, a tinge of recognition entered his eyes.

"Why the fuck do I look younger?!!"

Felix was taken aback, the figure of his earlier 20's was staring back at him, he knew it was for a fact him, with messy hair that somehow stayed upright, he had some dark circles under his eyes, and more importantly, was the semi frown that he used to have when he still was a bitter teen.

"..."

He was dumbfounded and beaten, he didn't know what to say. He somehow regressed a little more than a decade back, since his stature and general build were similar enough he didn't notice. but it made sense to some degree, the Status Menu did say that he was 22 years old and most importantly he did stumble at first when trying to walk.

"To think that I'm a decade younger..."

Felix was conflicted, theoretically speaking, it was a good thing that he regressed since the younger body was definitely missed in his 30s, the back pain of accumulated back posture and being almost unable to fall asleep because of stress did plague his adult years, but this body could overcome that.

But the question of, how the fuck did I get younger? will linger on his mind, he could say that he simply got younger either while the metamorphosis thing was happening or it was a result of simply being summoned. The former seemed a bit more plausible, if summoning regressed age would be a simple way to achieve a form of semi-immortality.

So he reverted to his method of dealing with problems.

 

' Do you have a problem? '

"Yes"

' Can you deal with the problem? '

"No"

' Can you reduce the problem? '

"No"

' Can you begin to think about the problem? '

"No"

' Do you have more pressing problems? '

"Yes"

' Then deal with this problem later '

 

Not very refined or scientific, but he wasn't in an ideal situation at all so Felix was going to take what he could get. Right now he simply lit another fire after 15 minutes of spinning the stick, fished a bit more, he stood a good hour before he caught 2 fish this time. He got to simply prepare the fish, do a bit of gutting and scaling, and cook them.

The fish were... food, no seasoning, no oil, no salt, only fish on the fire, not a very appetizing or even filing food but it was more than nothing. After having eaten his only meat-based meal he decided to head downstream on the river.

' Civilization tends to flourish beside rivers, so this should be good to find... something '

Felix wasn't sure about this, in the first place he only really knew 2 languages, and there was a clear possibility of them not being used here, actually common sense would dictate that he should by all accounts not know ANY language here.

The status menu shows English lettering. Now that was something that could be simply because the system understood that it was his preferred language, maybe it was because it was an interface he was familiar with? or could be that the system was English everywhere.

' Don't know until I find another person... if they even exist '


 

He continued walking along the river to his destination? he really didn't know the word to ' wander around aimlessly ' Felix wasn't the type of person to walk without a destination in mind like this one, except when he's lost.

"I'm I lost?"

He definitely thought he was, but technically speaking he wasn't searching for the way back, so is he lost? can someone be lost if they don't have a destination?. Normally one search on google for the definition of the word would satiate his curiosity, only now has he come to appreciate the immense wealth of knowledge that the modern world offered.

He shrugged and continued wondering in the real world and in his mind.

It was something he often did, he never repressed his thought on dumb topics like ' the meaning of words ' or the ' absurdness ' of daily life since he genuinely believed that gaining knowledge about those topics was a good use of his time. a simple ' If I thought of it now I will though about it again eventually ' was the general excuse for those words.

That's how Felix amassed his frankly stupid amount of information in that brain of his, it really was nothing too extraordinary or even cool in retrospect, but it at least gave him answers to things that were common and he could answer them correctly, although most of the answers were along of the lines of ' Depends on how you define something else ' the world wasn't so simple at all!.

"Daydreaming again"

A habit, Felix was often daydreaming since his early childhood, he didn't know how exactly he managed it but he was able to daydream at will by simply running on a known space. it was a way to simply replay the games he rarely got to play at arcades, think of how cartoons should be, and simply let his thoughts wander.

Since walking along the river was an extremely monotonous task it actually triggered his daydreaming, he simply shook his head and continued along.

 

Nothing. The second day was completely filled with nothingness, just the slow passage of the sun by the horizon and the once again usage of the river as a food source by spearsmanship, a bit of training with the spear, and another night's sleep.

 

The third day was a bit different since Felix thought that it would be somewhat beneficial to do some training, of course, he barely knew the basics of bodybuilding but he understood the basic exercises and the need to warm up to not die while doing them. after a few hours of having eaten he decided to do the exercise and a few minutes into the training.

〈 Gained skill [Training LV1] through constant usage 〉

[Training LV1: Makes the basics of body training easier to understand and apply]

' The person who wrote these was lazy as fuck '

Felix thought the repeating skill descriptions were not that bad but they reflected terribly on the person who wrote them, actually, when he thought about it he wasn't sure about if they were even written by a person. There were too many abilities possible if things like [Conjecture] and [Fishing] or even [Swimming] were considered skills.

' There maybe even tens of thousands of skills'

〈 [Conjecture] went from LV9 → LVMAX (↑) through skill usage 〉

"Interesting..."

Gazing into the skill that just leveled up, he was fixated on the new sign, it seems that the skill [Conjecture] cannot be leveled up anymore if one looks at the [LVMAX], but it has an arrow on it. Felix saw the arrow pointing at it and he understood something, he simply sighed and continued forwards.

' There still hope that it is not what I'm thinking! '

 

Fourth day

It was a bit of the same, the most important thing was that he actually found a tree bearing some fruit in them, he took one out by cutting the branch with his spears and stared at it, it looked like a tangerine, Felix was hesitant on eating it for a few reasons but he simply shook his head and decided to eat it.

Felix was sure that it could contain something undesirable, but evolution was still a factor in this world or so he hoped. Fruits are a contradiction at a glance since the question of ' why would a plant produce something edible exist? ' of course spreading seeds was fundamental but they definitely could do that without wasting so much fiber.

The answer came to simple human ingenuity, selective breeding, and a whole lot of dedication to make the wild fruits into something edible, but technically wild fruits are still edible, even if they are mostly seeds.

And so with this insight, he simply took a bite of it.

*Munch*

It was quite awful, it wasn't poisoned or anything but the flavor was extremely mild, not a lot of sweetness could be found and the number of seeds that were a bit too stuck in the fruit was enough to make it non-marketable in the modern world. Felix still took a few of them since having some plants in his diet should be quite useful.

 

Fifth Day.

Nothing out of the ordinary except for a 〈 [Spear Novice] went from LV3 → LV4 through skill usage 〉 and subsequent 〈 [Faith]went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉.

 

Sixth Day.

Something appeared on the horizon of the plains, it was not very distinguishable but it was definitely there and it was a bit too huge for a normal person, Felix immediately widened his eyes at the shadowy figure of the gigantic building? and decided to NOT speed up, he decided to take it easy since he still was cautious about this world.

 

Seventh Day

〈 [Fishing Novice] went from LV2 → LV3 through skill usage 〉, Felix was gazing into the slowly approaching structure that was slowly being approached, he thought that he saw it before but couldn't pinpoint where exactly, and it wasn't a complete congruency at all. it only looked like one of the walls was recognizable.


 

Eight-day

〈 [Training] went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉.

Those were one of the first words he heard as he decided to continue his journey to the building, now that he was rather close he could see what exactly it was, it was a city built around a mountain since the castle and city walls were raised decently high it basically covered the bottom part of the mountain making it seem like it was a gigantic structure.

It was made primarily made of bricks and stones melded together with ' concrete? ' or the medieval equivalent. Felix gazed into the shapes and forms of the city in the distance and could distinguish some castles and even areas by their color.

He frowned.

He had seen this exact city, not in detail and not from this point of view, he was shaking a bit when he noticed what it was but he still decided to steel onwards to the city, since it would prove useful, really useful.

 

 

Ninth Day.

He approached the city from the outside, it seemed like a gigantic wall was blocking the bit where the mountain suddenly dipped down, he recognized it and simply looked defeated at the gaze of the frankly soulless city.

Tempestad ⌋ The capital city of the fallen reign of the ⌈ Kingdom of Nerodia⌋ and the setting of the first part of the game ' Left Rain ', One of the most difficult games but rewarding he has played yet.

"Fuck me"

There were no other words to describe his plight.

4