Chapter 8
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4th August 1997- Monday

 

The 4th of August was supposed to be a day of celebration in the Court. There would have been a gathering, the first of its kind that he would have observed, with guests from outside of the Palace in attendance. But unfortunately, the woman it was for had fallen ill during the night, more so than usual. She was a frail woman, barely making appearances outside of the morning greetings, however, she still held prominence in the harem.

 

Noble Vanity, despite her rank, usually received a birthday celebration fit for Concubines. She would be one, after all, if the pregnancy of her daughter early on in the Emperor's reign hadn't left her weak and sickly, her death frighteningly imminent. She was one of his first, and therefore, held more prestige than most.

 

Instead of an empty celebration, each of the concubines was instructed to pray at the Hall of Worship for her quick recovery, along with her teenage daughter, Sylvania. The girl hadn't left the building since she had received notice of her mother's condition if the gossip was to be believed.

 

 It was to the sight of the girl crying that Harry walked in on, and he rushed to her side, robes becoming crumpled as he knelt. Despite having never met her before, Harry placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and allowed her to bury her head in his neck when she leaned upon him. It was a daring gesture that could have gotten him heavily punished, but luck was on his side.

 

" I'm so worried." The Princess gritted out after a few minutes of sobbing, sniffing wetly and leaning more of her weight on him. "She looks so frail recently, even the Healers said that it was worse than they were expecting. It's dreadful to think about, but I am close to believing that she may pass soon." She broke down further, the tiara upon her head tilting to the side. His hand ached to right it, but it wasn't his place to do so.

 

" Princess Sylvania..."

 

The princess continued to sob. " Please, don't speak. I would prefer it if we just sat here, paying respects before my mother's altar. I am in no need for false assurances, I am old enough now to understand the concept of sickness and death." Harry did as was asked, and remained there, with the Princess almost hanging from his neck. No other concubines walked into the Hall during that time.

 

The girl, Harry internally referred to her as such although she was only a few years younger than himself, sniffed harshly as she drew away, her pale blue eyes rimmed with red. " I'm sorry for keeping you for so long. You are free to go now, you spent longer here than any of my fathers' other concubines had. Thank you for that." She smiled at him softly, turning back to the altar.

 

Harry raised into a kneeling position. " I have yet to say my prayers, and wish your mother good health."

 

" Prayers are not needed, your presence has been enough. It is more than anyone else has given, and magic will know that. Again, thank you, but I do wish to be alone."

 

Reluctantly, he stood and left, the princess staying put on the cold, marble flooring. " Then, I wish both you and your mother well, Princess Sylvania. I bid you farewell."

 


 

9th August 1997- Saturday

 

After the morning meeting on Saturday, Harry decided to wander the Court, having not explored its entirety yet, despite living in the harem for around three weeks. He took two of his new maids with him, Anya being too busy to join him. The pair were named Giana and Orla, both with brown hair and dark eyes, and similar personalities. They liked to gossip about his every move to each other, although acted perfectly cordial towards him to his face.

 

They walked at his sides, a step behind, silent and blank. His attempts to coax them into conversating were met with cold looks and an occasional whisper of 'You are our Master', with no further explanation.

 

It was when Harry was nearing the gardens surrounding the Royal children's palace's that he met an obstacle. The Emperor, surrounded by a group of his Knights. He had on a serious expression as he surveyed the group of women, looking bored and unamused by their presence. They seemed harried and pleading, some having dropped to their knees in the dirt, but the Emperor appeared unaffected.

 

Harry surveyed this scene and decided that it would be best if he walked away and forgot what he had seen. Unfortunately, it seemed that the world had other plans for him.

 

The Emperor noticed him and began toward him purposefully. Harry froze on the spot, debating if he still had time to pretend he hadn't seen him.

 

" Noble Potter-Black, it is lovely to see you out and about in my Court." Damn it.

 

" I greet his Majesty, the Emperor."

 

" Walk with me?" He flicked a dismissing hand towards the group of Knights, and with clear reluctance, they dispersed. " How have you been finding your time here thus far? It has nearly been a month since you first arrived now, yes?"

 

" That is correct, your Majesty. It has been hard to settle down, as it is my first time away from my parents, but the other concubines have been very helpful and welcoming."

 

The Emperor grunted, looking amused. " Oh, have they now? You know, I'm surprised that not one of you has fallen ill yet. Usually, when a bigger bunch is selected, a couple are always bedridden by the end of the first month. Well, I suppose there are still a few more days to go, we'll just have to wait and see."

 

" Are you insinuating that you wish for one of us to fall ill, your majesty?"

 

" Of course not, my concubine. I was merely making an observation. Have I offended you? If so, then allow me to make it up to you by inviting you for a walk in my personal gardens." The man lifted his hand to his lips and laid a kiss upon it, smiling as Harry blushed. " I hope that you'll accept my invitation, Noble Potter-Black?"

 

He let out a breathless chuckle, the sound of his voice so giddy it gave him pause. " Of course, your Majesty. I would be a fool not to." The Emperor smiled, and Harry pulled back his hand to stare at it, still flushed with a mixture of embarrassment and satisfaction.

 

" Then, let us be on our way. My Eunuchs are waiting around the corner to escort us." The man unexpectedly grabbed ahold of his hand, intertwining their fingers with a teasing grin. " I have heard from others that you are quite the wanderer, my Noble, it is best if I don't allow you to stray from the path."

 

Flushing even further, Harry stared down at the ground, the sight of their hands together too much to bear. " How thoughtful of you, your Majesty."

 

The Emperor's gardens, suitably named 'Gardens of Everlasting Endurance', were a sure sight to behold, far grander than any other he had seen before. Many of the plants that grew inconspicuously in the flowerbeds were ones of great rarity, and some Harry was sure had been declared extinct for many hundreds of years.

 

" Do you like my garden, Noble Potter-Black? I spent years planning where I wanted everything to go, what plants I wished to be placed within it, and how I wanted those plants to grow." He looked pleased as he surveyed the land before them, a smug air surrounding him and his fingertips gently brushed the leaves of a plant he had never seen before. Later on, he'd discover that the plant was one that had last been cultivated in the time of Merlin, and its flowers helped with the creation of many medicinal potions.

 

Harry paused to think of the correct response to his feelings, but he felt it was lacking in comparison. " It is magnificent, your Majesty, truly."

 

The man smiled at his answer, although his eyes were no longer focused on him and had grown cold at the sight over his shoulder. " Thank you for your kind words, my Noble. Unfortunately, I must be going now. Please, continue exploring my garden until your heart is content." The Emperor was gone with a 'pop', and when Harry looked over his shoulder, only one of his maids was present.

 

He frowned. " Where is Giana?"

 

The woman stuttered, pale and shaken. " She-she- His Majesty-My Lord, can you-" With a click of his tongue, the maid fell silent.

 

" If it was his Majesty, then there is no way I can contest." The maid, Orla, frowned at his uncaring response but kept silent as he turned to carry on surveying the gardens. He wasn't about to risk any favour he had gained with the Emperor for a maid that he held no fondness for. It was a cold reaction, but that was the sort of emotion he needed to get used to feeling as a member of the Emperor's harem.

 


 

[Afternoon]

 

After his eventful morning, Harry made his way back to The Palace of Noble Handsomeness and was accosted by Cedric and Jasmine who wished to have lunch with him. Naturally, he couldn't refuse as he had no excuse not to attend. The conversation they held was light, the lunch not so much lunch as it was dessert, the sweet-tasting treats turning sour on his tongue as they breached a topic he hadn't expected.

 

Cedric placed his cup down, leaned back in his chair, and crossed his arms. " Brother Harry, I thought you should know, but, there is no actual rule in the Harem stating that you must report any of your meetings to the Consort. It is practised, yes, but not a legitimate rule."

 

His cup met his saucer with a  clack , some of its contents spilling over the rim. " What?" Harry's eyes went wide, bright green seeming to darken as his previously open expression closed off.

 

" That's true, his Majesty's Eunuchs record on a scroll if you have... copulated with the Emperor, and then if you are revealed to be pregnant, they can confirm that the conception dates match up. Nice, right? Otherwise, I doubt I'd even be pregnant right now, one of the others might have slipped me a contraceptive if they knew beforehand. They're just trying to manipulate you because you are new, Brother." Jasmine smiled at him, cradling her stomach which showed no hint of swelling yet. " However, please be careful with disobeying those of higher ranks, some can have a nasty way of showing their ire."

 

Cedric hummed consideringly. " Ah, yes, be especially aware around Consort Bellatrix, Concubine Rakepick and Concubine Carrow, they are particularly known to be cruel."

 

" I will take your advice to heart, Sister, Brother, thank you for informing me. If I hadn't known, I would have reported my every meeting without thought. How careless of me, I should be more thoughtful in the future." He could have ruined his family's chances of increasing their prestige by being unknowingly forced onto contraceptives, as Jasmine had said. It was a heartless but efficient way to stop him from raising his position in the Harem, and now he knew that no matter how low of a rank they had, everyone was a target. He gritted his teeth slightly, picked up his cup once more, and smiled sweetly." On that topic, how is your pregnancy progressing, Sister? Are you well?"

 

" Oh, yes, very well indeed! I've never been happier, it's such a joy knowing that my child will be in this world in a matter of months. I haven't experienced many symptoms yet at all, it still being in the early stages, but I have been feeling a little nauseous in the mornings recently. I never thought that I'd be so happy to feel ill, but it's proof that I really am pregnant, so I'm not complaining." She said this all with a happy smile, reaching for another cake, but froze before she could pick it up.

 

A shadow loomed over him from behind, casting shade over their colourful assortment of treats. The group paused, a few seconds passing before they began to move once more. Jasmine picked up her cake and promptly stuffed it into her mouth.

 

Cedric cleared his throat, clearly caught off guard. "...Brother Black, It is a wonderful surprise to see you here, will you be joining us for tea?" He beamed happily up at the man, who stared back with a glum expression. Regulus was dressed, as always, in duller colours that somehow managed to make him stand out far more than the more dolled-up concubines. His grey eyes surveyed the scene with disinterest, before landing on him, a small spark of interest igniting within them.

 

" No. I am here for Noble Potter- Black ." The last word was said in an undecipherable tone that sent a shiver down his spine.

 

Harry's head snapped up in surprise as the words clicked. " Concubine Slytherin-Black, you wish for me?"

 

The man hummed, that glint of emotion still present." Come, I want to talk to you." Harry stood, still confused but willing to obey, the others preparing to stand but were stopped by a raised hand from the concubine. " Alone."

 

Harry awkwardly wished the pair well and followed his Godfather's brother to wherever he was leading him. Their destination was a table with tea prepared for two, just outside of the boundaries of the Royal Children's Court which was surrounded by walls of white brick. They sat, getting comfortable, and stared at each other in silence.

 

The Concubine stared at him for a little while longer and swallowed awkwardly. Another emotion he hadn't expected to see from the one dubbed as his Majesty's coldest Concubine." What I wished to ask you is...How is my brother? Has he... produced any sprogs yet? With that... Werewolf of his. If-If that's possible?"

 

Sprogs. A perfect word for any spawn that came from Sirius. It was truly unfortunate that he had decided against unleashing any mini versions of himself upon the world. Harry would have been delighted to have played the role of doting cousin/brother, but supposed that he'd have to be the one to produce the next generation of Marauders.

 

" Sirius is doing well, although, he has decided against having children, and instead passed the mantle of heir onto me through partial blood adoption. And yes, it's possible, just a personal choice not to."

 

" Ah, yes. I remember, he sent a letter to me." He picked up his teacup and took a sip. " I hope you are representing our family well."

 

" As well as I can." The expected response.

 

" I suppose that the circumstances aren't as bad as they could have been. My brother was responsible and handed over the title to someone whose children will surely benefit the Black line."

 

" Yes, his Majesty's blood is a boon to every family."

 

" And when mixed with my family, it has some... Interesting results." He looked to Harry, lp quirking up slightly. " Have you met my Carina yet?" His expression seemed to brighten at the mention of her name, and Harry sat up straighter.

 

" No, I can't say that I have. I haven't met many of his Majesty's children yet."

 

" Then I will take you to see her after we finish our tea. The Black family needs to stick together within these walls, as cliche as that sounds, and I won't be having you not even knowing what your own cousin looks like."

 

" I would be honoured, Brother."

 

The other man frowned, tilting his head to the side in consideration for a moment, before straightening. " Hm, no, please do call me Uncle. None of that brother nonsense, it sounds strange coming from the mouth of my brother's son, no matter if it's by adoption."

 

Harry hesitated for a brief moment. " I suppose that would be the correct address, Uncle."

 

" Good. Now, if you would follow me."

 

==============

The Royal Children's Court was a vibrant place, mostly grassy with a few colourful flower beds dotted about. The Palaces themselves, one for the younger children, and the other for Hogwarts-aged ones were styled like true fairytale fortress, with towers and all. Harry was led into the one on the right, containing those of Hogwarts age. Within the foyer stood a girl who he faintly recognised as one of the first-years, although he supposed sure was soon to be a second-year. In her hands was a thick book that she was heavily absorbed in, enough so that she didn't acknowledge their approach.

 

" Carina, sweetheart." The man's whole body seemed to come to life in the presence of his daughter, his back straightening and shoulders lowering from their defensive scrunch.

 

Her head snapped up, and a grin spread across her aristocratic features. " Dad! You came to see me today as well?" Her voice was chirpy yet composed as she bounded over, book forgotten and left to tumble to the floor.

 

" Of course, If I could I would spend my every moment here." The pair smiled softly at one another, Regulus turning his body slightly to face Harry. " And I've brought along a guest. This is Noble Potter-Black, your Uncle Sirius' adopted son, and one of your father's newest concubines."

 

The girl examined him with assessing eyes, a startling light grey colour that matched Regulus' own, her wild and dark ringlets framing her face. She looked like the perfect amalgamation of his Majesty and the Black family. He couldn't see what was so interesting about her, but perhaps his 'Uncle' didn't mean physically.

 

" It is a pleasure to meet you, Cousin." Her smile dimmed a little.

 

" The pleasure is mine, Princess Carina." Harry bowed his head slightly.

 

They stood in silence for a short while, Regulus' expression having closed off once more and neither wishing to break the silence. The princess didn't offer any more than a greeting, so the message was clear.

 

' You aren't wanted here. Leave.'

 

" Concubine Black, thank you for inviting me for tea, but I believe that I must be going now. Princess Carina." He bowed his head shallower than before, ignoring the way Regulus' hand twitched when he turned his back on them.

 

It wasn't how he'd wanted it to go, or how Regulus had intended. But, it was nice to know where he stood with his Majesty's children.

 

He wasn't accepted, and the royals were willing to show that openly.

 


 

11th August- Dahlia's POV- The Palace of Noble Beauty

 

Dahlia's birthday that year occurred on a hot day, with clear blue skies and a refreshing breeze, the perfect conditions for a celebration she wasn't qualified to hold. As her rank was even lower than his own, and her age a less significant one, the Emperor did not invite her to spend the evening with him as he did with Harry.

 

This, understandably, was devastating for the girl who idolised the man with her whole being.

 

" What does Harry have that I do not? Surely being one year older does not mean all that much, right? I'm the Pureblood, I'm the one who comes from the more wealthy and influential family, so why am I yet to receive an invitation!"

 

" I'm sure his Majesty will soon send a Eunuch to inform you that he is expecting your presence." One of her maids soothed.

 

" It is already nearing dinner, his Majesty would not give such short notice!" A knock on the door had her freezing in place. She looked at it as if behind it stood a wild animal. Straightening her clothes, Dahlia waved her maid away to begin tidying, plastered a smile on her face, and opened the door.

 

To her combined surprise and disappointment, Harry stood at the entrance, a parcel in his hands and a smile on his face. " Happy birthday, Sister Dahlia."

 

Dahlia blinked down at her best friend, her ire dissipating as she soaked in his relaxing presence. " Thank you, Brother! I was starting to worry that you had forgotten."

 

" The morning is still young, don't be so quick to assume." He grinned teasingly, brushing past her and placing the present on the table.

 

Her maids stood around aimlessly, gawking at the sight of him instead of rushing to help the man with his robe. " Lola, help Noble Potter-Black with his robe, it is a hot day and he shouldn't have had to stand in it for so long!"

 

" Yes, my Lady! My apologies, my Lord."

 

" It is fine, my robe is charmed to stay cool so it hasn't been bothering me. Still, I appreciate the help."

 

" You're too soft, Brother. It is their job to help us, they should be falling over themselves to serve you who is a higher rank than their mistress."

 

He stayed silent for a few moments, seeming to be searching her expression for something. " That is correct. Are you going to punish them for their discretions?"

 

Dahlia frowned in confusion, visibly showing how shocked she felt at his words. Harry disliked violence and wasn't the sort to ask for others to be punished, so why was he acting like this? " Did you have anything in mind, Brother?"

 

" No, I was simply asking if you had any intention of punishing them for their inaction. Will you? It is your choice, Sister, as their mistress, after all."

 

She gaped at him, before snorting as realisation washed over her. " Trying to be scary, Brother? Really? I was fooled for a minute there."

 

His serious expression cracked, and he grinned at the pale maids. " It's a new talent of mine, I appear to have gained a pretty impressive blank face if Anya is to be believed. Was it up to your standards? You were complaining about it for so long that I was too expressive."

 

" It's a good skill to have obtained, Harry. Use it well, there's a reason Purebloods put so much emphasis on being expressionless."


The last scene didn't go as I'd planned, the characters took the decision out of my hands. Enjoy the peace of the chapters whilst it lasts, the next will contain heavier topics. TW will be placed at the beginning of the chapters.
3.7k words, which is good for me.

0