Chapter- 1.4
36 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Xue Yuanjun decided to walk back home, not that he had much choice. After all, he had no money. While walking, he took his time going through and sorting out the strange memories he had received.

     To put it simply, this was a sort of parallel world. It was like his world, but the names of brands, movies, books, places, and even celebrities were either changed or didn't exist at all. An example would be the hospital he works at, Bai Fu Hospital. In this world, it's known as Hai Fae Hospital, and it's the most advanced hospital in the country.

     This world may have some similarities to his own, but there are big differences when it comes to the technology of this world. For example, every citizen is given a unique number when they come of age. With this number, you have access to your own personal Star Network account that you can use to send and receive money, calls, and texts. Most people in this world choose to access their star accounts through smart watches, but some people who can't afford them or just like old-school things use phones, though a phone is still rarely seen as the most basic smart watch is within the average person's price range.

     Communication and money transfers may be more advanced, but when it comes to medical knowledge and treatments, this world is far behind. This world has a much higher mortality rate due to the lack of advancements made in the way patients are treated. Procedures that are common in his world have never been seen before or are seen as ground-breaking treatments.

     Being a doctor is one of the most respected careers you can have. Because doctors are in such high demand, the pay is higher, but the treatment costs can hardly be paid by the average person. It would cost them an arm and a leg.

     Xue Yuanjun learned that in this world he is called Xue Yuan. He is a nineteen-year-old orphan with a criminal record. When the original Xue Yuan was just an infant, he was abandoned by his parents on the steps of the orphanage. Xue Yuan was a naughty child growing up, because he never changed his ways, he got tangled up with the wrong group of people. A year ago, he and his group of troubled youths decided to steal from a local shopping mall. They agreed because they had a man on the inside and were confident in their plan to get in and out quickly without getting caught. The robbery started out as planned, but one of the boys slipped up and triggered an alarm. It turned out they didn't account for there being a janitor blocking their escape route either. One member of Xue Yuan's group got scared and pulled out a loaded pistol. What he planned to do with it before they heard heavy foot steps and saw flashing lights could be guessed. The youths got frightened and panicked. The boy with the pistol shoved everything in his hands at Xue Yuan and ran. The others followed suit. They ran, yelling out at Xue Yuan before leaving him alone. "Xue yuan, we're sorry! We'll help you out later! Just don't say anything!"

     Just like that, Xue Yuan was arrested for armed robbery. During the interrogation, the police tried to get Xue Yuan to name the others involved, but he kept silent, believing his "friends" would help get him out of the situation. But he failed to realize that a group of teens could not do anything to free him when the police had a pile of evidence against him, not to mention they were involved in the crime and didn't want to risk getting caught themselves. Xue Yuan was then sent to prison. The entire time he was there, he never heard a word from his so-called friends.

     A year later, Xue Yuan was released. He was never told why, but if Xue Yuanjun were to guess, it's probably the last kindness the orphanage director gave him. But it's all in the past. Xue Yuan had had a tough time finding a job. After all, who wants to hire someone with a criminal record? It didn't help that Xue Yuan became a very gloomy person after that incident and didn't have the nicest personality.

     Xue Yuan lived off of the meager earnings from his multiple odd jobs. A week ago, he was fired from his latest job because the boss said he didn't need him anymore, so Xue Yuan lived off of the even more meager savings he had. His rent was far past due. He resorted to selling his smart watch in order to not starve to death.

     Their lives were almost day and night. Xue Yuanjun grew up with his parents and had a well-paying job. Though he didn't live his life lavishly, he lived comfortably. At least he didn't have to worry about starving to death.

     All this information was giving Xue Yuanjun a headache. Luckily, he had arrived at his apartment building, or more accurately, Xue Yuan's apartment. On his way here, Xue Yuanjun was able to take a look at what Xue Yuan looked like. He was tall and looked slim, but looking at his body closely, you could see defined muscles. He had dark skin from his odd jobs, but even darker hair, it was an obsidian color that matched his eyes. His hands were calloused from hard labour. But he was very good-looking. If he wasn't so gloomy and his personality wasn't so sour, he would look like a young master. His peachy eyes seemed to sparkle when he slightly smiled. He looked, cute. It was strange to look at himself and see someone so young. But he was glad he had become someone who looked decent, although they were an ex-convict.

     Being transported to this world was mysterious, but there doesn't seem to be anything Xue Yuanjun can do to get home at the moment. All he can do is accept the situation and adapt in order to live.

     With a resolute expression, Xue Yuanjun accepted his fate as Xue Yuan and was ready to make a plan to turn his life around. When he turned the corner, Xue Yuan saw a small bag outside his apartment door. Walking closer, he noticed there was a piece of paper stuck to the door. He couldn't help but curse. 'I've been evicted!?' This wasn't too unexpected; after all, the original Xue Yuan hadn't paid rent in a long time.

     It was a great start to his new life as a jobless, penniless, and now homeless ex-convict.

4