Chapter 10 – The Fire Type
339 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scorch

With the sun blocked out, Mina knew she was in a space distortion caused by whatever was out there. Braced for a fight, she summoned her black and red celestial battle armor. Once on, she bolted toward the right field with her fists engulfed in flames. Whatever’s out there is big and moving fa-.

“Crap!” Mina yelped in surprise as a giant, rock-skinned creature, the size of a six-story building, suddenly appeared and swiped at her with a massive claw. “Black flames, engulf!” she yelled, jumping out of the way of the blow. The creature, glaring at her, was then consumed by a searing hot flame all over its body. 

“Graaaaah!” The creature howled before crashing a fist down on Mina’s position. 

“Ahh!” Mina screamed while diving and rolling to dodge the attack. But she couldn’t believe the thing was still standing. My black flame burns as hot as a star! How the hell is this thing still alive? Undaunted, Mina rolled to the side of the monster and summoned a second attack. “Scorched Bands!” 

At that moment, a barrage of spinning fire discs appeared and cut into the hulking thing, knocking it to the ground. “Rarrrr!” The creature howled in fury just as one of the discs sliced its forearm off. But when the forearm fell to the ground, it transformed into a four-legged creature that leaped on top of Mina. 

“By the heavens!” Mina shouted and formed a giant red shield on her left arm, blocking the bite of the creature. But the defense was a hair too late, as the creature’s claw punctured her armor and dug into her left rib and hip. “Fuuuck!” Mina cried and jumped back grabbing her side. Damn, whatever this thing is, it’s stronger than a mere nether demon. My fire attacks are barely hurting it. 

But in the second Mina took to gauge the battle, the giant creature, and the smaller four-legged thing now turned their attention to the dugout.

“No, Stephanie!” Mina howled as she raced toward her unconscious girlfriend. These creatures are spewing celestial energy, so they can handle my flames. But nothing can survive my fury! “GREAT SWORD SIRA, SUMMON!” On command, Mina formed a giant silver and black claymore sword. And in one jump, she landed in front of the charging four-legged creature, just before it reached Stephanie. 

“RRRAAARH!” The creature howled as Mina swung the celestial blade down on its head, slicing the thing in half. “Aaah!”

“Die!” Mina roared as she stretched her palm and burned the thing from the inside out. But without a moment to spare, she turned right and blocked a strike from the main creature with her shield, just as it tried to smash her and Stephanie. “Don’t underestimate me, you soulless fuck!” she swore before leaping up and slicing the giant creature four ways from head to gut. 

“Aaaah!” The giant thing gazed at her in surprise as its head split into two pieces and fell to the ground. But the faceless body continued the fight.

“Damn!” Still in pain from the initial attack, Mina hunched down. I can’t use full heat with Stephanie so close. But I’m not done yet. She then opened her palm at the sliced-up advancing body and whispered, “Emptiness.” And as the words left her lips, the giant headless body suddenly flew back toward the outfield and crashed on the grass. Mina then closed her fist, shutting down the temperature vacuum she’d just created in the atmosphere to suck the creature away. 

However, the creature was so massive, it only flew two hundred feet. But that was far enough for Mina, who leaped up and stabbed the thing through its chest while screaming, “INCINERATE!” And in seconds, white-hot flames burned the creature from the inside out. 

But still worried about Stephanie, Mina ran back to the dugout and yelled, “Screen!” Her command formed a protective shield of smoke, so thick, that not even heat could penetrate it. She then lifted Stephanie and held her close while all of the creature's remains were cremated in the white fire.

A second after that, the sky lit up with evening sunlight, as the distorted space surrounding the field burned away. Soon, Mina’s armor and sword vanished. Leaving the fire-type with a bloody wound, reddening her white school uniform shirt. 

“Shit, that thing was strong.” Mina clutched her side, just as Stephanie started waking up. 

“Aaah? What?” Stephanie muttered in Mina’s arms. “Krieger? What happened?”

“You passed out.”

“I did?” Stepanie shook her head. “I can’t remember anything.” She then saw the blood. “Mina! You’re hurt, what the hell?”

“It’s just a scratch. When you passed out, I carried you down then I scratched my side on the dugout fencing.”

“What?” Stephanie glanced at the harmless fencing. “How did you cut yourself on that? And this looks really bad. Maybe we should go to the hospital!”

“No need.” Mina smiled. “I just have to get home.” But as soon as Mina took a step she nearly tumbled.

“Mina!” Stephanie raced to catch her up. “You need help!”

“Aye, I do. But not from a hospital. Just get me to my sisters.”

“But they’re not doctors.”

“No, but my sister Cassia is quite the, um, healer type. So, please trust me.”

Stephanie gaped at Mina, but unsure what to do, she gave in and helped her up. The two then walked off the field and headed to Mina’s house. 

Parents

Along the way, Mina leaned on Stephanie. But Stephanie also tried to figure out why she passed out. “I mean, I know I’m a little anemic. But I eat iron-rich vegetables, so I should be healthy.”

“You’re fine,” Mina replied and kissed the side of her head. “Thanks for rescuing me.”

“You’re welcome.” Stephanie blushed. “But you’re gonna owe me for this, Krieger."

“I bet I will.” Mina then pulled her phone out and called Cassia. And when Cassia picked up, Mina spoke Norwegian. “Hi, sis. Are you and Angel home? Yeah, ok. Then put me on speaker and don’t get all worried.”

“Now I am worried, Mina. Where are you and what happened?” Cassia asked, just as Angel entered the conversation. “Worried about what? What’s going on?” Angel asked. 

“That nether demon I saw earlier just attacked me and Stephanie on the softball field.”

“What? Oh no! Mina, are you hurt? Please come home now!” Cassia cried, like a worried mother.

“You were with Stephanie? Did she see the creature?” Angel asked, like a fussing father.

“I’m alive. And no, I made sure Stephanie didn’t see the thing. But she’s walking me home now. So expect a guest.”

“That’s ok, just come home, please!” Cassia insisted. “Bloody hell, all of this!” Angel swore in the background. 

“Take it easy, you two. I’ll be there in five minutes,” Mina said and hung up the phone. 

That’s when Stephanie scowled at her. “I heard you say my name in your Viking language.”

“Yeah, I told my sisters you’re visiting.”

“They won’t be upset about that?”

“No, why would they be?” Mina smirked. “If anything, I thought you wouldn’t want to visit my house. I mean, what if people thought you were cool with the Krieger sisters and started calling you our pet.”

“Tch!” Stephanie looked away.

“What’s the matter?” 

“To hell with you for saying that. And besides, I have no problem with your sisters. And no one would ever accuse me of being anyone’s pet.”

“Oh yeah? Wait till I put a collar on you- Owwww!” Mina cried as Stephanie pinched her butt. “I’m sorry, student-council-treasurer Stephanie. I was just kidding.”

“You’d better be, Krieger.”  

“Maybe, we’ll see,” Mina said, nuzzling Stephanie’s face. 

“Tch!” Stephanie sucked her teeth but loved the affection.

 

....

 

Mina Krieger- Fire Type

17