Chapter 11 – Home To Heal
330 12 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Mina and Stephanie reached the Krieger house, Cassia was waiting at the front door. 

“Hi, sis!” Mina smiled while leaning on Stephanie. 

“Mina,” Cassia replied, staring at the blood on her shirt. 

“I know it looks bad. But it's fine because Stephanie rescued me.”

“Hi Cassia,” Stephanie greeted while Mina stepped inside. 

“Hello Stephanie. It’s good to see you again. Please come in, and thank you for walking my sister home.” 

“It’s fine. But I think she should see a doctor,” Stephanie said. 

“Let me see how bad she is first,” Cassia replied with a curt smile. At the same time, Angel appeared from the back. 

“Hello Stephanie, come in the kitchen and have some iced-tea. I brewed it myself,” Angel said while staring at Mina’s wound. 

“Oh, thank you,” Stephanie answered. “I’m really thirsty, and tea sounds great.”

“It’s more than great, it’s divine.” 

Back

While Angel took care of Stephanie, Cassia led Mina to the bathroom. Once inside she helped Mina strip naked and placed her in the large tub while examining the ghastly wound, which stretched from under her armpit to her hip.

“By the heavens, Mina. How strong was this creature that tore through your celestial armor?”

“Stronger than any demon we’ve ever fought…Ow, ow, ouch!” Mina winced as Cassia stuck her finger in the gash near her tit. 

“The wound is infected. Please lay down,” Cassia said while waving her hand and filling the tub with warm, greenish water. 

“Eww, this mossy stuff,” Mina lamented. “You’re going to fill me up with it, aren’t you?”

“Yes, dear sister. And it will hurt. Because that infection is dark energy, and I have to dispel it.”

“I figured that.” Mina then braced as Cassia spoke an incantation that formed a floating pentagram just above Mina. It then vanished just as the greenish liquid entered Mina’s wound. “Grrrrrraaah, mmm!” Mina ground her teeth from the pain.

“Now, now. You’ve suffered worse injuries before,” Cassia said.

“True, but I deserved those wounds. This one though. He shouldn't have got me.”

“Well, if more of those things appear then we’ll know what to expect.”

“Maybe,” Mina winced. “I mean, I’m pretty sure the thing I fought was the same creature I burned in the hallway this morning. Only it got way bigger and stronger.”

“Is that so?” Cassia wiped Mina’s face in the water. “All of this is crucial information that Angel will want to know.”

“Heh.” Mina closed her eyes while the healing spell attacked the wound. “Yeah, I bet Angel is fuming that she can’t come in here and question me about that monster, and about Stephanie. Heh, heh, ow, ow!”

“Quiet down and let your body mend.” Cassia kissed Mina’s forehead and then leaned back to concentrate on the healing spell.

“Thanks, sis.”

“You're welcome. Now hush.” 

Guest

While Cassia cared for Mina in the bathroom, Angel entertained Stephanie at the kitchen table. 

“This tea is really good! What’s in it?” Stephanie asked while taking a second sip.

“Ingredients from an old mead recipe. Minus the alcohol.” Angel evil smiled. 

“It’s delicious. And, I’m sorry but, are you sure Mina will be ok back there? That cut looked bad.”

“Don’t worry. Mina is stronger than she looks. And Cassia’s gift for healing puts all war surgeons to shame.”

“War surgeons?”

“Anyway, dear Stephanie. Since you’re here, do you mind if I ask you something?”

“No, ask away.” 

“The school elections for president will be upon us soon. And I wanted to know if you planned on running?”

“Good question,” Stephanie said, putting her cup down. “To be honest, I considered being Rebecca’s running mate. But these days she’s been on some ‘mean girl’ kick, and after that incident in the gym, she won’t be running for any office. But then I heard Hannah and Blake will be making a run this semester, so that pushed me off the ballot completely.”

“Hmm?” Angel squinted. “And who are Hannah and Blake?”

“They’re only the richest and most popular girls in school.” Stephanie said. “But don’t get me wrong. As individuals they’re both fun. And their parties are legendary. Plus Blake’s dad is in the industry, so she gets to meet celebrities and stuff.”

“I see. But what does any of that have to do with the school elections?”

“Eh?” Stephanie sat back with a perplexed look. “Wow, you Krieger sisters are really new to all of this, huh? You guys don’t have class elections in Norwegian high schools?” 

“I’m sure we do. But please be more clear.”

“Ah? Well, school elections are popularity contests. Because it’s not like a class president has any real power.”

“They could wield power if they deliver results for the students, though. Right?”

“Some. But there isn’t much the student body needs. I mean, Mount Castle is a rich girl’s school.”

“You’re not ashamed to admit that.”

“No, I don’t hide from that label. I’m proud that my parents work hard to allow me to attend that school.”

“I see.” Angel sat back with a nice impression of Stephanie. She's smarter and more grounded than I expected. “But since you are a student, could you at least let me know what issue comes to the forefront?”

“There is one!” Stephanie’s eyes lit up. “Lunch in town!” 

“Come again?” 

“Unlike some schools, like our rival Clara Eastman Academy, we aren’t allowed to leave the campus for lunch. And that’s ridiculous, when not ten minutes away on Post road, we have a ton of great dining. But no, the school makes us stay on campus and eat their food.”

“Well that’s absurd!” Angel cried. 

“Exactly! And when you bring it up, they keep claiming some nonsense about liability. Meaning that if we go to town and get kidnapped on school time, then our parents would sue the school.”

“Err.” Angel paused. “Would parents actually sue the school?”

“Of course, they would. But it’s the principle of the matter. We’re young adults. We should be able to make our own dining choices, don’t you think?”

“I whole-heartedly agree with you,” Angel lied. The truth was, Angel could care less about students going to eat in some restaurant during lunch. But she needed a populist issue to run on. And a running mate. “That’s why I want to ask you to be my running mate, Stephanie. Because I think you and I-”

“Wait, what?” Stephanie balked. 

“What is it?”

“Well, don’t take it personal, Angel. But I had already decided not to run once Hannah and Blake got involved. Plus I’m on the volleyball team now…and, um, hanging with your sister.”

Angel scowled. “In other words you’ve traded your political ambitions for playing ball with my adorable-delinquent-sister?”

“Huh? Pffft, hahahaha!”

“What?” 

“When you put it that way it seems silly. But to be honest, being treasurer is enough for me. I was only going to run for vice president because of Rebecca, but all of that has worn off. You know?”

“Yes.” Angel nodded. “But, in all candor, I’m not one to give up so easily, so I may ask you again when things have calmed down a bit.”

“That’s fair.”

“Of course. I mean after all, the worst you can do is tell me no again, right?” Angel asked, scowling at Stephanie.

“Uhh. Right. Sure,” Stephanie said, fidgeting in the seat. She then glanced at the back. “Hey, do you think we should check on Mina?”

“Good idea. Sit tight, I’ll be right back,” Angel said with her eyes steely slits. 

Check

Ten minutes had passed since Cassia and Mina entered the bathroom. So when Angel walked in, Cassia was about finished with the spell, while Mina lay in the tub with her eyes closed. 

“You and your treasurer girlfriend were quite busy today,” Angel said, leaning down and caressing Mina’s face. 

“Angel, don’t make trouble,” Cassia quipped. 

“I’m not.”

With her eyes closed, Mina reached up and held Angel’s hand. “What’s up, sis?”

“You’re what’s up. Getting attacked by some foul creature,” Angel replied.

“Yeah, there’s a lot to cover with that. But there’s one thing that bugged me about the attack.”

“What’s that?” Cassia replied. 

“Stephanie,” Mina said. “She was knocked out. So I hid her under the bench in the dugout before I fought that demon on the field. But after that thing smacked me once, it forgot all about me and went after her. Like it knew she was under the bench. And even though I was the obvious threat.”

“That is odd,” Angel said. “Normally a demon wouldn’t bother with a sleeping human.”

“Unless it wanted something from her,” Cassia said. 

“Nope.” Mina shook her head. “It tried to kill her, along with me. As if it was personal.”

The sisters then sat in silence for a moment pondering the thought. Stephanie has zero magical or celestial energy coming from her. So why would that thing go after her?

“More questions than answers,” Angel said. “However, it’s something we’ll have to ponder on our own time. But in the present, you need to go assure Stephanie that you're alright.”

“I can do that.”

“Yes, and then politely send her home,” Angel said. “We don’t need her asking any weird questions.”

“Aww. She can't hang for a bit?”

“No, Mina. You need to rest,” Cassia chided. “Don’t forget, we’re all going sneaker shopping with Emilia tomorrow. And I also invited Toska and Suyeon. So I want you to look fresh.”

“Aye, aye, sis. I won’t embarrass you in front of your friends.” 

“See that you don’t.”

“Heh heh,” Mina chuckled and stood up in the green water. When she glanced down the ghastly wound had healed to a not very pretty scar. 

“The skin should mend by morning,” Cassia said. 

“Thanks, sis. Now let me go walk Stephanie out.” Mina put on a towel. 

“I’ll warn her that you’re coming,” Angel said, exiting the bathroom. 

Exit

Angel stalled Stephanie while Mina put on shorts and a t-shirt. Mina then walked out to the kitchen.

"Hey, hey," Mina said, stepping near Stephanie and Angel at the table.

"Krieger, you're ok?" Stephanie asked, standing up. She appeared to want to hug Mina but stopped herself.

"Yeah, I was tougher than that fence. Anyway, come on, let me walk you out." Mina took Stephanie's hand.

"Oh, right." Appearing embarrassed with her handheld, Stephanie glanced at Angel. "Hi, thanks so much for the tea. But I really gotta get home."

"Of course. And thank you for providing me with your insights into the election."

"Uh, no problem. See you on Monday." 

"Good night."

After that, Mina and Stephanie stepped out the front door. Once there, Mina showed a small part of her cut hip.

"I told you it was just a scratch," Mina said.

"Oh wow. But there was so much blood," Stephanie replied looking at the wound. "I could have sworn it was a lot worse."

"It was just the red spread on the uniform that tricked you. Anyway." She put her shirt down. "Was my sister bugging you about the school elections?" 

"She did ask if I could be her running mate. But I declined."

"Oh yeah?" Mina smirked. "So how did she take your rejection?"

Stephanie frowned. "She didn't seem happy about it and said she may ask me again."

"Ha, ha," Mina laughed. "Don't let her get to you, she's just like that."

"I won't, but what if she asks me again?"

"Then decline again." Mina then kissed Stephanie's forehead. "Thanks for walking me home."

Stephanie blushed and whipped her ponytail. "No problem. But don't forget we got our first game next week. So don't get hurt!"

"I'll try."

"Tch! Krieger!" Stephanie huffed, then kissed Mina on the cheek. "Later, you." After that, she walked toward the sidewalk.

"Good night," Mina said, watching Stephanie leave.

Angel then appeared next to Mina and peeked down the block. "That girl is quite taken with you, Mina."

"Yeah. She's nice."

"So is Emilia. So let's keep our priorities straight, dear sister," Angel said before walking Mina inside, to ensure she got some rest.

  

16