Chapter 23 – Stop Texting Me!
118 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Midday

At the end of sixth period, Cassia, Emilia, and Mina talked in the hallway while heading to their next class. But none of the girls had seen Angel since before lunch. 

“Angel didn’t even come to the cafeteria,” Cassia noted.

“Neither did Skye,” Mina said. “So I figured they ran off together.”

“Really?” Emilia tilted her head. “I didn’t think Angel liked Skye enough to hang out with her.”

“Don’t let Angel fool you,” Mina said. “Once you get past the claws she's a kitten.”

“Yeah, I guess, hee.” Emilia giggled, imagining Angel with cat ears, pouting. “Plus, I don’t think Skye cares when Angel is upset.”

“Not at all, heh,” Mina said as all three laughed. But as the girls walked, a slight crowd formed in the hall. And in the center of the commotion stood two pretty students handing out flyers. 

“Who are they?” Cassia asked as they approached the two girls engaging warmly with the crowd. 

“Oh, it’s Hannah and Blake!” Emilia said, smiling.

The shorter of the two girls, Hannah, stood at five-four. And she wore dark hair in a short bob-cut, with the length reaching just past her chin. As for the taller Blake, she stood at five-seven with shoulder-length blonde hair and blue eyes to match. Both girls were popular and friendly. 

“Hi Emilia, how are you?” Hannah sang, just as Blake turned. “Oh, hey Emilia.”

“Ah.” Emilia turned red from the attention. She knew Hannah and Blake casually but didn’t share classes with them since they were third years. Still, they were always sweet. “I’m fine, thanks for asking.”

“Are you still writing?” Hannah asked. 

“Oh, yes I am. And I’m surprised you remembered.”

“I have no reason to forget.” Hannah smiled with a perfect face shape. She then glanced up at Cassia and Mina. “Now, are you going to introduce us to the Krieger sisters?”

“Eh? Do you know them?”

“We know of them,” Blake answered, looking at Mina. “All the third-year athletes are talking about you Mina, hee!”

“Saying good things, I hope,” Mina replied. 

“That we cannot confirm or deny,” Hannah teased, staring into Mina’s eyes. 

“Ah, right. Anyway, this is my sist-”

“Cassia!” Hannah and Blake chorused. “We’re so happy to finally meet you. We follow you on Style-o-Gram!”

“Oh my!” Cassia covered her mouth, embarrassed by the confession. 

That’s when Blake gave her three flyers. “Here, these are invites to our pool party for you and your sisters.”

“Thank you. When is it?” Cassia asked.

“It’s the same night as the school dance. We’re the after party,” Hannah said. 

“Ah, sounds fun,” Cassia said, examining the flyer. For she understood that these girls, Hannah and Blake, were running for school president and vice-president. And the pool party was clearly an election stunt to get votes. Smart idea, Cassia thought.

Hannah then gave Cassia a concerned look. “I also wanted to meet your sister, Angel. But I just heard that she and the other new girl Skye were given detention today for sneaking out of school for lunch.”

“Is that so?” Cassia asked. 

“That’s the rumor going around. And if it’s true then your sister’s a bad-ass,” Hannah said with a grin. 

“She has her moments,” Cassia replied. Just then the late bell rang. 

“Oh, no, we have to go,” Blake said, frowning. She then turned to Cassia while displaying her phone. “Cassia, I hoped we had more time to talk. But what do you think of these?”

“Eh!” Cassia backed up as the colors of three, hand-sewn Haute Couture dresses popped on the screen. “They’re beautiful.”

“I think so too!” Blake replied in a high-pitched voice. “And you and I can model them if you want.”

“We can?”

“Of course! Let me give you my number.” Blake then placed her contact into Cassia’s phone before hustling down the hallway with Hannah. But as they departed, Blake turned to Cassia. “Text me tonight.”

“I will,” Cassia replied. And she meant it. Because those dresses weren't store dresses, and so lovely. She then backed up. Wait, Hannah and Blake are Angel’s rivals for school president. Maybe I shouldn’t be so friendly with them. Speaking of which, where is Angel? “Mina, what class does Angel have now?” 

“She should be in gym,” Mina said, showing her phone. “I've been texting her.”

“Hmm? Lemme see.” Cassia leaned down to read the messages.

Mina: Sis, we heard you and Skye snuck out of school and got detention. 

Angel: Yes. It’s true. 

Mina: Oh snap! Why'd you guys sneak out?

Angel: We went to the trendy cafe for reasons. 

Mina: Ah, a date. Cool.

Angel: No, it wasn't a date! I told you, we went for reasons. We'll talk later.

Mina: Later, like after detention later?

Angel: Stop texting me!

Mina: Heh heh >_<

“My, my.” Cassia shook her head at the conversation. Skye had mentioned wanting to check out the remaining energy signatures at that cafe. I'm sure that's why they went.

“Wow, Angel put her money where her mouth was,” Emilia said as the three hurried to class. 

“What do you mean?” Mina asked. 

“She’s running on the platform of 'Eating Lunch' off-campus. So she meant it and tried it.”

“Is that a good thing?” Cassia asked. 

“Well, it means Angel is authentic and backs up her claims. So that's good. But bad since it's against the rules and could get her suspended.”

“Tough balance,” Mina said. 

“Politics is hard,” Emilia agreed. 

“You two, get to class!” Cassia scolded.

“Later, sis!” Mina cried as she and Emilia ran down the hall. 

After School

When the end of school bell rang, Skye hurried out of the building and toward the softball field. Once on the grass, she tightened her side ponytail and walked to the outfield. 

If that creature escaped into a portal when it fought Cassia. It must have used one after Mina fought it as well. 

Once in the center of the field, Skye leaned down and inspected the grass where the energy was most concentrated. This is where it escaped. She sniffed the air. And then, in a near panic, she backed up. This scent. What the hell? This can’t be right. 

“Skye! What are you doing out there?” A voice yelled from the park entrance.

“Eh?” Skye looked over at a scowling Angel glaring at her. Skye smiled. “Hi, Angel!”

“Don’t ‘Hi’ me when you're about to be late for detention and get me in trouble again!” 

“But I thought you weren’t talking to me,” Skye said, running to Angel.

“I’m not. But I know if you’re late Ms. Holstrom will blame me.”

“Aww, Angel. You’re such a sweetheart!” Skye said as she reached Angel. She then grabbed her hand while running into the building.

“Hello, I don’t need your help!”

“I know,” Skye said, and kept holding Angel’s hand while the two raced to the detention classroom. Angel didn’t resist. 

Element

When the two reached detention, they had to sign their names with the old lady monitor who sat in the front. Three other girls, who they didn’t know, were also being detained. They were seated all around the classroom. 

“You two, take a desk in the back. No noise,” The old lady said while scanning their signatures. 

“Yes, Miss,” Skye replied as she and Angel took their seats. And after a few minutes of settling, Skye turned to Angel. “Hey, did you tell your sisters what happened?”

“Yes,” Angel muttered. “I met them at the end of eighth period and explained to them what we found at the cafe. Right before searching for you outside. By the way, what were you doing on the softball field?”

“Ah.” Skye nodded. “Sniffing around. Figuring some things.”

“Things like what?”

“Some stuff.” Skye danced around the issue before changing the subject. “Hey, Angel. Can I ask you something?”

“If you mean to pry into my personal life, then no.” 

“Heh, heh.” Skye giggled. “It’s more of a curious science question.”

“Sigh.” Angel frowned. “Since you’re going to ask anyway, go ahead.”

“Lol, ok.” Skye then eyed Angel with a smile and asked, “So, were you and your sisters born from a mother? I mean, like from a lady?”

“Eh?” Angel smirked at Skye. “I’m actually not upset at this question, as I’d imagine a human. Or, whatever you are, wouldn’t know.”

“I’m human…mostly,” Skye said. “But I’m definitely curious about how you three formed.”

“Heh. My sisters and I were born the same as every Valkyrie. To a mother, in our own time.”

“Oh? So, you do have a mom?”

“We did. And she was wonderful. But she was killed in battle a long time ago. So we raised ourselves.”

“Triplets huh,” Skye said. “But different fathers, right? I mean, you all look distinct.”

“Ha, ha.” Angel chuckled. “No, that’s not how it works with us. We are not human. We don’t have biological fathers. What humans would call a ‘father’ to us would be the stars and elements we're born under.” 

“Like an astrology sign?”

“Similar, even though most of your “star-sign” stuff on earth is pure nonsense. But there are some truths to it. Let me explain.” Angel sat back and took a breath. “When my mother became pregnant with us by choosing to merge with the elements that would form us. She became pregnant with triplets. But each of us were born on our time, under our own stars.”

“Wait, so she was pregnant with the three of you at the same time, but gave birth at three different times?”

“Yes. Cassia arrived first. Using Earth’s months, she was born in March, under the water sign. I was born second in June, under the air sign. And finally, my baby sister Mina was born in August, under the fire sign.” Angel looked at Skye. “Does this make sense?”

Skye grinned. “A ton of sense. Especially you being a Gemini! Just that alone says a lot about you.”

“Doubtful, since Earth astrology is pure bullocks,” Angel said.

“Which means you’ve been reading your horoscope here on Earth, haven’t you?”

“What?” Angel scowled. “Now see here, just because I read it for entertainment doesn’t mean I believe it!”

“Pfft! Hahahaha!” Skye burst out laughing. 

“What’s so funny?”

“You are!” Skye chuckled and then pinched Angel’s forearm. “And you're just too cute, I swear.”

“Hmph!” 

Angel crossed her arms and looked away while Skye giggled in the seat. Just then the old lady monitor spoke up. “Hey, you two keep it down back there!”

“Sorry, Miss!” Skye apologized while leaning her head on Angel’s soft shoulder. Then Angel turned and gripped Skye’s face, glaring at her. Skye smiled. “Hiya~”

“Hiya, nothing,” Angel hissed, cupping Skye’s chin. “Why were you on that softball field earlier? Are you still sniffing for energy?”

“Ah, right.” Skye gently pulled away, girding herself to explain to Angel. “Do you remember the creature’s energy lag in the cafe grass?”

“Yes, we determined it was using Emilia’s energy.”

“Yeah.” Skye nodded. “Well, the portal the thing used on the softball field is much closer to where its body is staying. The scent gave it away. And to be honest, I smelled it at the cafe. But I needed to confirm it at the softball field and-”

“Skye, you’re stalling. Say what you know about the creature.”

“Right.” Skye paused before delivering a slow answer. “Angel. We keep losing the creature because his energy, his scent, keeps disappearing when it goes “home” to hide. And home to that creature is…”

“Is what?”

“It’s Emilia.” Skye exhaled. “That thing, as we speak, is living inside of Emilia Dade.”

“Huh.” Angel unfurled her arms as the two sat in silence for a full long minute. Then Angel spoke up. “This certainly complicates things.”

“Yeah.” Skye nodded. “It does.”

 

5