Chapter 24 – Emilia Wednesday
111 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wednesday - The Next Morning

Focused and busy, Emilia arrived at school with a list of errands to do. But before she could even open her locker, three voices cried out to her, “Emmm!” 

“Hm?” Emilia glanced at her three fellow writers from the theater club. Shonda, Betsy, and Lily. “Hey guys, what’s up?”

“Your story is,” Shonda said. “You have the best draft out of all of us.”

“And the only finished draft,” Emilia said, frowning at the club members. 

“We know, and we’re sorry!” the girls repented with their heads lowered in shame. Then Lily spoke up. “But still, your story with the knight and the rogue is the best. It catches all the feels. And oh yeah, we’ve secured the auditorium for tomorrow to hold the reading”

“That’s awesome!” Emilia smiled. 

“It is, but we have to wow them at the reading or it'll be hard to recruit actors for the real play,” Betsy said. 

“Plus, we’ll need famous actors in order to get students to want to see the play,” Shonda added.

Emilia nodded. She understood that getting popular girls to act in the lead roles helped gain an audience. “I know, but we shouldn’t recruit girls just because they’re popular. We want those who want to act and put on a good show,” Emilia said. 

“That’s asking a lot.” 

“It is. But if we can get one good actress in a lead, the other ones will follow,” Emilia said.

“Do you have someone in mind?” Lily asked.

“I do. A talented and pretty girl who I've seen on stage before. So, I know she’ll be great. The only issue is, she and I aren’t exactly friends.”

“That’s no problem.” Shonda shrugged. “If whoever you’re talking about isn’t your enemy, the worst she could say is no, right?”

“Well.” Emilia pushed up her glasses. “I’m sure she could say a lot worse than no. But I’ll ask her anyway.”

Busy Busy

Emilia entered homeroom just before the late bell rang. When she reached her seat, the Krieger sisters and other homeroom students all talked.

“Hi everybody!” 

“Hi, Em!” Cassia kissed her forehead. “Hello Emilia,” Angel pinched her. “Heya, Em!” Mina fist-bumped. 

Emilia enjoyed the spark of happy energy that came with the Kriegers touching her. But ever busy, she turned to Angel. “Hi Angel, have you written your intro election speech yet?”

“I have!” Angel smiled and pulled a folder out of her school bag. “And I did what you told me. I included sentiment, life examples, and a firm hand!”

“Eh?” Emilia blinked. “I never said firm hand.”

“I added that part.” Angel evil smiled. 

“I guess I’ll proofread it with a red pen,” Emilia teased.

“Oh pish-posh, it’s not that bad. But thank you so much for your help, sweetheart. Our campaign is a well-oiled machine now.”

“I think so too, it's going great.” Emilia placed the folder in her bag. But ever busy, she turned to Cassia. “Hey Cassia, did you text Blake last night?”

“Yes I did, and then I called her.” Cassia lit up. “And we talked for over an hour, she’s a honey-bunny. She invited me to a photoshoot with her.”

“Yes, Blake is nice. However, being that I’m on Angel’s campaign, I have to watch out for conflicts of interest.”

“Conflicts? What do you mean?”

Emilia pushed up her glasses. “Cassia, you’re a rising star in the ‘idol girls’ scene in school. Blake knows that. So for her to get photos with you helps her idol status as well. And by default, it helps her election.”

“Ah.” Cassia sat back in her seat. “Oh, well. I doubt Blake has ill intentions. But still, I’m amazed at your situational awareness.”

Emilia shrugged. “I have to protect Angel.”

“And I’m glad you are,” Cassia said, pulling Emilia closer. “Emilia. I’ve also noticed you exerting your smarts and confidence a lot these past few days. And I dare say, it’s quite attractive.” She pinched Emilia’s face.

“Thank you." Emilia grinned. Happy that Cassia acknowledged her newfound daring. She then glanced over to make sure Mina was out of earshot. “And you’re right. I do feel confident these days. But to be honest, it’s really from being around you girls all the time. I mean, with you all it’s easy for me to find my voice.” Emilia smiled. “You know. I can speak up like Angel. I can be kind and offer solutions just like you do.”

“And what like Mina?” 

“Well.” Emilia frowned as she and Cassia glanced over at Mina, who sat with full swag in her chair while chatting with a giggling student. Just then, aware she was being watched, Mina flicked her hair and looked over at Cassia and Emilia. 

“What are you two talking about?” Mina asked. 

“Shopping!” Emilia answered. “What are you talking about?”

“Sports.” Mina winked.

“Sure you are!” Emilia teased while Mina grinned and pinched her. Emilia then turned back to Cassia, “So, as you can see, I haven’t reached Mina level cool, yet.”

“Mina was born on that level, but good luck,” Cassia said. She then sat up. “But let’s get back to what you said about Blake. Emilia, I doubt Blake invited me to a fashion shoot to be deceitful with me.”

“I don’t think she did either. But if I were you, I’d talk about the election with her when you’re together. That way there are no misunderstandings,” Emilia advised. 

“Ah, I see. And you’re right.” Cassia smiled. “And that’s why I’ll do as you command.” 

“Command?” Emilia tilted her head. But before she could say another word, the bell rang ending homeroom. 

 

Mathematics

Stephanie was having a rough week. After having an emo breakdown on Monday, she’d fallen behind in her classwork. Now as she took her seat in second-period math, she wondered if her homework was even complete. 

“Class, after attendance I’ll give back the quizzes so we can review them,” the teacher announced. 

Right, the quiz we took on Monday. I’m sure I passed it, Stephanie thought while opening her notebook. But as she settled down, Emilia and Mina took their seats a few rows up. They appeared to be talking about a video on Emilia's phone.

“Lana Banana is the best. She always has pop singers on her show!” Emilia said, displaying the screen.

“I know, I binged a bunch of her vids last night,” Mina said. “But hey, how does she get all these celebrities to visit her mom’s basement?”

“I’m not sure, but I think the mom bakes cookies for all the guests.”

“Oh, nice. I’d travel for cookies.”

“Me too!”

Lol, what? Stephanie chuckled at Mina and Emilia’s ridiculous conversation. No one is traveling to Lana’s house for cookies, you two goofs!

But her schadenfreude turned to sadness as Mina and Emilia continued to giggle while discussing the video. Stephanie frowned. I also like the Lana Banana show. And the reason celebrities can visit Lana's mom's basement to record the show is because Lana’s mom lives near the airport. But then again, no one asked me. 

A few minutes later, the teacher handed back the quizzes from Monday. When Emilia and Mina received their tests, Mina immediately bragged to Emilia, “Eighty-nine!” She displayed her grade. “Let’s see you beat that!”

“Mhm.” Emilia grinned and showed her test paper. Her grade was a hundred.

“Ah? You cheated!” Mina cried. 

“Yes, by studying. It gives an unfair advantage.”

“But I did study.”

“I know. And that’s why you scored well. But you’re still having trouble with square roots,” Emilia said, calmly showing the red mark on Mina’s paper. 

“Yeah, they're tricky.” Mina nodded, paying attention. 

Stephanie listened to their conversation. She remembered that Emilia was always a smart girl, even back in middle school. But these days Emilia seemed to come out of her shell and be more outgoing. And it appeared that Emilia and Mina had a real bond, since they talked about everything. Sneakers, music, math. They even talked about animal husbandry. I mean seriously? Who talks about that?

But as Stephanie ranted in her mind, the teacher placed her quiz in front of her. The red-inked grade was a seventy. C-minus. 

“Stephanie, I expected better from you,” the teacher whispered. 

“I’ll do better,” she replied, staring at the grade. But as the teacher walked away, Stephanie wanted to sob. How is it that within three days I forgot how to be a student? But when she glanced up, there sat Emilia and Mina chuckling about something. For it seemed the light shined bright on them. Because the grass is always greener on the other side.

But as Stephanie watched them, Emilia turned and glanced at Stephanie. They even made eye contact. “Ah!” Stephanie quickly looked away. She didn’t want to appear interested in their business. However, when she peeked back at Emilia, she and Mina were talking again. Stephanie then took a breath and returned to her class work. 

Middle 

When the bell rang to end math, Stephanie resolved to do better. You’ve always been a mostly ‘A’ student, Stephanie. So straighten up and get a grip. Afterward, she shouldered her bag and exited the classroom. She had English next. But this time she’d done the homewor-

“Hey, Stephanie?” 

“Hm?” Stephanie turned around. It was Emilia behind her. “Hi, Em. What’s up?”

“Oh, nothing and everything all at once.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. The semester catches up to you. Anyway, how can I help you?”

“I do need your help, Steph.” Emilia smiled. “You see. Well…Do you remember in middle school when we put on that Wizard of Oz play?”

“That wasn’t the Wizard of Oz,” Stephanie grunted. “That was some avant-garde craziness dreamt up by that whacky music teacher we had!”

“Yeah, she made your cowardly lion into a Yakuza boss! That was great!” Emilia beamed. 

Stephanie smiled but facepalmed. “I don't know about great. But that play was certainly different.” 

“It was, but you were amazing in that role. Remember after you sang, the auditorium gave you a standing ovation.”

“Ah?” Stephanie smirked. “Emilia, why are you bringing up cringe history?”

“To remind you of how awesome you were on that stage. And to ask you to please come to my reading on Thursday. I mean, it’s a half-day of school just for club meetings, but I’m hoping to get-”

“It’s ok. I’ll come.” Stephanie placed her hand on Emilia’s shoulder. “But if you want me at the reading so badly, that must mean you want me to act, don’t you?” 

“I do.” Emilia nodded. “And not just to act, but take the lead.” Emilia then pulled out a copy of the script for the knight character. “Here, you don’t have to do anything. Just, you know, skim through it when you can.”

“Heh.” Stephanie opened the script. Secret Bond- By Emilia Dade. Character sheet: Davina Guile- Royal Knight. “Davina?”

“Yes.”

“I like that name. It’s strong.”

“Just like her character,” Emilia said. “Davina is one of three leads. But she’s the true main. The story starts and ends with her.”

“Huh.” Stephanie flipped through the pages. “Have you asked anyone else?”

“I don't want anyone else for this part.”

“Aww, Em.” Guilt washed over Stephanie. “You’re pressuring me.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Emilia waved her hands and turned red. “I was mostly hoping you’d say yes to come to the reading. And I’ll leave it at that. Ugh!”

“Heh, heh. It’s ok. I’ll be there. But can I ask a separate question?”

“Anything!” 

“Right.” Stephanie fidgeted. “I was wondering if you’re tutoring ma-”

“Of course, I am!” Emilia then pulled out a tiny notebook and wrote Stephanie’s name down. “So starting Friday, you will meet me, Betsy, and Mina in the seventh-period library for study hall. We're striving for all hundreds on our future tests.”

“Yikes! That's ambitious. And you tutor Mina too?”

“Yes. And she’s a quick learner. And so are you, if I recall.”

“I guess.” Stephanie shrugged, remembering her low grade on the math test. “But anyway, I’ll be at the reading tomorrow. And your tutoring on Friday.”

“Thank you!” Emilia hopped up and down.

Stephanie could sense the happiness in her aura. “Wow, Em. You really want me in your play, hunh?”

“Absolutely.” Emilia straightened her bag. “I’ve wanted you in my plays ever since you were the Yakuza-Lion in middle school.”

“Eh.” Stephanie frowned in embarrassment. But when she saw how much Emilia fan-girled about her in the old role, she had to smile. “I guess I did nail that character. Remember when I tommy-gunned all the winged monkeys trying to attack the village?”

“Yes! That was the best part of the play!” Emilia declared, just as the bell rang. “Oh, Stephanie. I’m sorry I kept you. But please read the character. I know you’ll like her!” 

“I will,” Stephanie replied as Emilia ran down the hallway waving. After that, Stephanie departed for her next class. But as she walked she couldn’t help but laugh. God damn Yakuza Lion, hahahaha! And I no-joke gave my all to that silly role. She then remembered Emilia’s face when talking about how great she was and smiled again. 

Heh, heh. I don’t know what stunt you’re pulling, Emilia. But I’ll definitely read your script.

9