Chapter 25 – We Short Girls
90 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Study Hall

Seventh periods were reserved for study hall at Mount Castle. During this time, students could do homework in the library, meet at club offices, or use the gym. This Wednesday, Emilia cleared her white hair from her glasses and raced to the library.

 I need to finish this English assignment before I can finalize the script, she thought while hurrying to a quiet table in the back. But as she placed her bag down, a voice greeted her. 

“Hi, I figured you’d be here.”

“Eh?” Emilia spun and faced an adorable short girl with a bobbed haircut. “Oh, hi Hannah! What’s up?” 

“Heya, Em. Sorry to spook you,” said the dark-haired, former school president. “I just stopped by to ask if Blake and I could attend your reading tomorrow in the auditorium.”

“Eh?” Emilia frowned. “Hannah, you don’t need my permission. But I do hope you’re coming because you appreciate the theater arts.”

“I love the theater. And you know that because we’ve both attended every play in middle school and at Mount,” she declared with a warm voice. 

“That's true.” 

“But Em, you’re right. It’s also true that I'm attending the reading for political reasons. Since I expect Angel to come as well, correct?” 

“Yes, she's coming." Emilia pushed up her glasses. “And it would be a missed opportunity for your campaign if you didn’t show up. I accept that. But I want you to come anyway!” Emilia said.

“Of course, I'll be there. But with that said, may I ask you for a copy of the script? If you don't mind. I'm interested in the story of the princess. And if I know the details, I can help promote the play.” 

“Help promote? Hannah, that’d be wonderful!” Emilia dug in her bag and retrieved the best script draft she had. “The dialogue still needs work but the main act isn’t changing.”

“I’m sure it's fine for a read-through.” Hannah put the script away and then locked eyes with Emilia. “And you definitely have my support, Em. Because after all, we short-girls gotta stick together, right?”

“Haha! We sure do!” Emilia laughed while enjoying Hannah's company.

“Anyway, time is against me. And I have to go meet Blake. So I'll see you tomorrow, Em. And thanks."

“And thank you for your support, Hannah. See you later!"

As Hannah waved goodbye Emilia realized this was the longest conversation they'd ever had. But Emilia didn't mind, since all of their prior conversations were cordial. But never deep, since Hannah never needed anything up until today. 

Still, Emilia appreciated any help she could get from the popular girls. The more students at the reading, the better. But one thing bugged her. I wonder why Hannah was so interested in the script? Emilia shrugged. Ah well. Let me finish this English assignment.

Stretch

At the end of the school day, the volleyball team met for practice. When Stephanie stepped onto the gym floor she spotted Mina chatting with three team members, all giggling at her jokes. 

“Hmph.” Stephanie turned and walked under the volleyball net to stretch.

“Yo Steph, you seen the Lana Banana show last night?” Mina asked while strutting toward her.

“Eh?” Stephanie stopped and pretended she wasn’t interested. “I dunno. I think I skimmed through it.” 

But before Mina could respond, team captain Patricia made an announcement. “Redcats, let’s break into two and do some resistance training before serving practice.”

“Got it!” the team responded. After that Stephanie and Mina paired up by default. They then sat on the floor and began their warm-ups. 

Anything

For the first minute of stretching, Stephanie counted reps and talked volleyball. But as she and Mina performed knee-bends together, Stephanie wanted to talk about anything else that would spark Mina’s interest. 

“Hey Krieger, are you going to Emilia’s reading tomorrow?” Stephanie asked. 

“Oh, heck yeah. I wouldn’t miss it. Emilia’s all stoked about it, heh!” Mina’s words were sincere. As expected since she was close with Emilia. “Why? Are you going?”

“Yeah, I’m going. Emilia invited me to read for the character Davina. The Knight.”

“She did?” Mina's eyes widened in surprise. 

“Yeah, Emilia didn’t tell you?” 

“No, not at all. Then again, why should she? It’s her play.” Mina shrugged. 

“Huh.” Stephanie suddenly felt empowered. “You know, you could read for a part if you want.”

“I already did. I read the Rogue part for my sisters. But it didn’t go well. I kept forgetting the lines and wasn’t a very good actress.”

“Oh? Well, I’m sure you weren’t that bad?”

“Who knows.” Mina shrugged. “And I was going to audition for Emilia until my sisters threw pillows at me and told me to stick to sports!”

“....” Stephanie’s eye twitched as she listened to Mina’s story. She then burst out laughing. “Pffft haha! Krieger, what the hell?”

“Heh heh, what’s so funny. I told you, my sisters were bullying me.”

“Yeah, somehow I doubt that.” Stephanie squinted at Mina. “Your sisters seem cool. So you’d have to be pretty bad if they threw stuff at you.”

“Yeah, well, It didn’t help that it was my night to cook, and I burned the rice while I was watching Lana Banana. And, I might have lost track of the time.” She trailed off while Stephanie smirked at her.

“So basically you deserved to get a pillow chucked at you.”

“More than one.” Mina smirked. 

“Pfft! Krieger!” Stephanie covered her mouth while laughing with Mina. Because she didn’t want to bring attention to them. But as the two chuckled, Stephanie squeezed Mina’s hand out of habit, before letting go. Stephanie, stop! Don’t fall into Mina's trap again. You can joke with her. She’s your teammate. But keep it friendly. 

“But Steph, not for nothing. That’s great if you read for Emilia. Because I like the Knight character. She’s tough and has cool one-liners.”

“I like her, too. And I memorized a few of her lines, so I’m ready!” 

“Good. I can’t wait to hear you read tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Mina.” Stephanie smiled. She appreciated Mina’s praise as the two continued their warm-ups for practice. 

…..

 

 

4