Chapter Nine
1.3k 5 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the surface, Haru was calm and collective. With just one glance, nothing would seem out of the ordinary, but on the inside…

Ahh!! That was so close! I thought my heart would give out!

Haru was in complete disarray. His breathing became heavy and sweat was forming on his forehead. His hands rattled as he tried to focus his breathing. Gradually, Haru's state of mind became the same as the facade he has on his face.

Haru leaves the elevator and inhales the cold night air.

I don't know what to do so I guess I'll take a walk.

Haru begins his night time stroll and the first place he thought of was a nearby convenience store to get a drink. As he was making his way, girls from the ages of high school, college, and business women, noticed Haru's handsome appearance. Haru smiles and waves to them whenever he notices their gaze and when some of them had the courage to walk up and talk to him, he would engage in short conversations.

I never got to experience the nightlife outside of work like this before, but I can see why I should avoid it. There's too many young ladies and women eyeing me. I'd prefer it if it was a few ladies at a time.

"Hey, you're cute. Let's go have fun!"

"No! I don't want to go with you!"

Hm? Is someone being harassed?

Haru turns around the corner and sees a middle-aged man heckling a familiar lavender-haired young lady. The troubled young lady was none other than the Student Council President, Ami Yoko. She was still in her uniform which told Haru that she left the school late. Yoko continued to refuse the man's advances and the man grew impatient with her and grabbed her arm.

"Hey! Stop that! Let go of me!"

"Don't be like th-!"

"Hey!! I'm sorry for being late."

" " Eh???" "

Yoko and the man looked in the direction of the  voice and they saw Haru running towards them with a worried face. He stops just short of Yoko and takes her hand. "I'm sorry for being late."

"Eh? Bu-!"

"Come on. Let's go home. Our parents are worried about you. I'm sorry you have to look after my troublesome little sister."

Haru bows to the man and by using the confusion he created, he was able to take Yoko away from the man without any drama. Yoko was still in a state of disbelief and wondered who was the dashing man who was leading her by her hand.

***

"Looks like we'll be safe here." Haru says as he glances outside while taking a sip from his coffee. Yoko sat across from him and began to observe him.

Why is he wearing a disguise? Even though he looks like this, there's no way I can mistake his voice. Though, it's quite astonishing to see him like this. A handsome man who can be mistaken as a college student or a young office worker. Not only that but his attitude and personality is quite charming and easygoing. 

"Thanks for helping me."

"You're welcome and what were you doing in a place like that?"

"I was heading home and that way was a shortcut to my house, but as you saw, that man came up and tried to take me with him. I'm grateful that you stepped in and took me away."

"All I did was get you out of an undesirable situation. Anyone would do the same."

"No… I don't think so. I think it's because it's you who is willing to help me. Even when I didn't call for help, you still came and for that, I'm happy that you came for me."

"I'm glad that you are happy and all, but what do you mean because it's me? This is our first time meeting, isn't it?"

"What are you talking about? You're Ena Haru-kun, right?"

Just as Haru was about to take another sip, Yoko's words surprised him.

"Eh?"

Oh? He got surprised and what's with that cute surprised face of his?! That's cheating!

"I'm not wrong am I?"

"No you're completely wrong!"

"But-"

"You're wrong!"

"Um…"

"You're wrong!"

"..."

Him denying it is making it more obvious… Oh well, if only he would he could be more honest to himself. I'll just have to use my secret weapon.

"If I'm wrong… then can I have your name?"

Did I do it…? Did I fool her?

"My name is Kousuke."

"Kousuke is it? Oh! Do you mind if I call a family member to let them know where I am?"

"I don't mind. Please go ahead and inform them."

"Thank you!" Yoko takes out her phone and makes a phone call.

Haru goes back to his coffee and takes another sip. In his head, he begins to formulate a plan to escape.

I'm glad Ami-senpai is safe. After her call, I'll leave here before she confirms my identity. I'll casually check my phone and pretend a friend texted me something important and then I'll leave. A perfect plan… Now all I have to do is wait.

Haru was smiling in his mind thinking he was successful, but his plan shattered before it came to fruition. Just as Yoko starts her phone call, Haru's phone begins to ring.

Cold sweat forms on his temple and looks across the table and sees Yoko smiling at him. Haru's host instinct tells him that Yoko had him in her trap.

Haru lowers his cup back to the saucer and takes out his phone. The caller ID read Ami Yoko and Haru couldn't help but cringe for his mistake. Haru answers the call, "Hello…"

"Ah! Big Brother! I'm sorry for worrying you and mom and dad, but can you tell them I'm well? I'm in a study group with some friends and I'll be home shortly."

Haru is speechless and Yoko couldn't stop smiling at the current situation. "U-understood. I'll inform mom and dad…"

"Thank you! I love you Big Brother!" Yoko hangs up and continues to smile in her complete victory. Haru begins to sulk and becomes gloomy.

Oh? He's sulking now. …That's still cheating! This makes me want to spoil him! When did Ena-kun become so adorable!?

I'm so embarrassed! Even though I'm the younger one here-! Agh!! Why did I say I was her older brother?!

"Ena-kun." Yoko calls out to him in a soft voice. Haru brings his head up and sees a gentle smile on her lips. "Yes Ami-senpai?"

"Fufu~ Let's have a talk between you and I. Tell me everything about yourself and the self that you've hidden from everyone else. I'm interested in getting to know you." 

38