Book 2 Embers of War – Chapter 42
89 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A small storm had overtaken the southeastern region. In a forest just twenty miles west of Velena. A small unit of thirty loyal midland mages were on the run, they were being hunted down by rebel forces.

Among them was a talented mage who had once fought Arlan in the Tetrasan Tournament, Yuna Argold.

While sprinting in the storm and rain, the leader of the unit turned his head back and yelled, "Stay with me! We're almost to Velena! If we can just get close, friendly forces will have to be close by!"

Yuna was at the very back of the group and screamed to the front, "Are we going to just leave the rest of them back there?!"

"We have to! The orb we hold is more important than all of us combined!"

The rest of the mages between Yuna and the leader knew that already and were sprinting for their lives.

The forest path they were sprinting on bended into an open field. Yuna saw her colleagues slowed down to a complete stop. She was confused and asked, "Why'd you all stop?! They're right behind-"

"Yuna," the mage leader interrupted with a calm tone, "Look further."

Before the thirty loyalists mages were a full banner of three-hundred rebel soldiers from House Kaiser. A hunter-killer contingent designed to chase down their prey. Among their ranks were a multitude of different types of soldiers.

They were all well equipped and were at least second-tier white-cores and third-tier red cores. But the main strength of the unit were the five aspirants at the front, who were all fourth-tier orange cores and a sixth-tier red core.

"Can we turn around?" asked one of the nearby mages.

"No, behind us are more of them," answered the leader as he solemnly accepted his fate.

Yuna walked up with tears streaming down her eyes, "I'll fight with you to the end, Captain Quinn Argold."

Quinn turned to Yuna and said, "Yuna... take the orb."

"What? No!" protested Yuna as she gripped her staff tightly with both hands.

"We'll buy you time so you can escape through their left side. I know you're talented enough to do so."

"No! You're my brother... even though I don't share your blood... I will stay and fight."

Everyone else didn't bother to answer and began drawing their daggers, wands and staves.

Quinn addressed his adopted sister once more, "Yuna, this isn't the time to argue. You need to get this orb to our side. You're the only one who is fast enough to outrun their trackers."

There was no answer back but instead, Yuna's soft left hand reached out and received the hand-sized orb from her adopted brother. Quinn then pulled her close with his left arm and whispered under the rain, "Tell mother that I fought well and that I'll be joining father in the Great Caelum."

Yuna was crying the whole time as she knew the fate of her brother and father. Enchantments from all twenty-nine other mages glowed one after another onto Yuna.

They were casting buffs on her with whatever they could to increase her survivability. It broke Yuna's heart because they were going to need it as well but used it on her instead.

Quinn then yelled out, "Fulgor Company! Form up!"

The remaining mages except Yuna formed up in a combat formation while pre-casting their spells next to their captain.

"Listen!" shouted Quinn with confidence, "We've been together for ten years, and this is where Numen has granted us the final trial. We will drive into the enemy with our devotion to Midland and carve a path for Yuna. If any man wishes to flee now, none of your brothers here will wish ill upon you."

A silent pause took over as not a single mage hesitated. They all stood their ground with confidence.

"Then let us dine in the Great Caelum tonight! With me, Fulgor Company!" ordered Quinn as he charged forth with twenty-eight of his brethren in tow.

Yuna turned left and beelined out. She saw the enemy contingent swarming into her brother's unit. The fighting started with the mages unleashing monstrous spells taking out entire units of swordsmen.

At first, it seemed like they had a chance until a magic nullifying ring took over. Cries were heard as Yuna's comrades were being hacked down into pieces.

A rebel platoon splintered off from the main unit and started to chase down Yuna, they couldn't keep up with her but they were firing crossbows.

A loud roar echoed from the center of the battle. It was Quinn, he had emerged with arcane and lighting in his eyes and somehow had overpowered the magic nullifying effect.

He leapt up over the battle and landed down upon the crossbowmen who were firing at Yuna. His palms disintegrated each enemy soldier he had touched into a pile of ashes. One after another, the crossbowmen were completely wiped out.

Yuna had turned back for only a mere two seconds to see her brother buying her time. While sprinting, she heard him yell, "Keep running Yuna and don't turn back!"

Yuna continued to run, tears streaming down her face as she held onto the orb tightly. She could hear the sounds of battle behind her, the clash of steel and the explosive bursts of magic. She knew that her fellow mages were fighting to their last breath, to buy her enough time to escape.

As she ran, she felt a sharp pain in her side and stumbled, but managed to catch herself before falling. Looking down, she saw a bolt had pierced through her cloak and grazed her side. She gritted her teeth in pain but didn't stop, knowing that she had to keep going.

Yuna sprinted through the forest, leaping over fallen trees and dodging branches. She could hear the sound of pursuit behind her, but she pushed herself harder. She used her mana to numb the pain and enhanced her speed.

Back at the battle, the only fighter left alive was Quinn Argold. Everyone else had already been killed. An aspirant in green robes slowly made his way toward Quin who was surrounded and mortally wounded from the battle.

But he still stood his ground ready to fight them. The aspirant in the green robes signaled for more soldiers to chase after Yuna but then turned his attention to Quinn.

The mysterious Aspirant then said, "You must be Quinn, the one who took the Thurian Orb. I assume you gave it to your sister, Yuna?"

The barely concious Argold Mage simply replied, "Fuck you-"

A shock spell flew from the green robe's hand and struck Quinn repeatedly. Screams of pain yelled out as the Aspirant intensified his spell. It was just enough to put Quinn on the verge of death without actually killing him.

After ten seconds of non-stop spells, another large bolt of lighting struck Quinn causing him to explode into pieces of flesh.

"Such a waste, he would've proved useful to us had he just joined the right side," said the green mage coldly.

A soldier reported, "Sir, we believe we can catch up to the last one. But scouts have reported nearby Midland forces are starting to investigate the area."

"Get her quickly. We'll be overrun if not," commanded the green mage.

Yuna was still sprinting, and breathing heavily as she mustered through the dense trees, dodging crossbow bolts from a unit that was trying to keep up with her.

Finally, she broke out of the treeline and into a farm, a ray of hope shed itself on her misfortune. But the hunter-killer teams were still behind her.

Yuna stumbled as she felt the pain of the bolt piercing through her cloak and into her side. She quickly ripped the bolt out and threw it to the side to administer a small healing vial. The pain was intense, but it at least stopped the bleeding. The vial just wasn’t enough to fully seal the wound. She had to keep moving and find friendly Midland forces.

The rain grew more intense, making it difficult to see where Yuna was going. While she ran, she noticed movement in front of her. It was a trio of rebel crossbowmen standing in her way and they had Yuna dead to rights. The Midland mage slowed down, unsure of what to do. 

"Stop right there!" shouted the middle crossbowmen.

The Midland mage tried to cast a mana barrier but it fizzled.

"Damnit!" cursed Yuna as she grimaced in pain.

Right before the crossbowmen could fire, a mounted figure darted from beyond the fog and cleaved all three rebels in half. Yuna sighed with relief that someone had come.

But something was off about her savior. His killing intent had flourished immensely causing Yuna to take a defensive stance against her savior.

The rider began galloping toward Yuna. Her heart sank as she knew she wasn’t going to survive the imminent attack. Through the percussion of rain and thunderous hooves, a familiar voice rang out, "Stay your weapon! I’m a Midland loyalist. I am on your side!"

"Arlan... Is… that you?" uttered Yuna as she fainted.

Arlan jumped off Kage and caught Yuna before she hit the ground. He noticed her wound and administered a full healing potion into her mouth. It wasn't going to heal it completely but it did stabilize Yuna. The wound was barely sealed now.

The King’s Blade realized it was Yuna Argold, the Maginus Academy mage he had fought with at the Tetrasan Tournament last year.

Approaching Arlan from behind was Edgar and a few Storm Riders. While Edgar dismounted his horse, he asked, "Is she with us?"

"Yes," answered the King's Blade, "I believe she's with the Fulgor Company. Although I'm not sure why she's alone. I cut down three rebels back there trying to kill her."

"Rebels? This far west beyond our lines?!" echoed Edgar with confusion.

"This isn't the first time," replied Arlan as he thought of Hector's Banner.

"Your orders?"

"Have the Storm Riders search the area."

"By your command, General!"

 

Further away from Yuna and Arlan was the green robed mage from before, hiding in the bushes with his banner. Their presence was somehow concealed from Arlan and his Umbras.

A voice emerged from another nearby Aspirant, "Deema, it appears we were too late. I believe that is the Immortal General. We cannot win against him."

Deema took off his green hood and replied, "I did not expect the King's Blade to be here. He’s supposed to be at the western front with the Midland Royal Army. This changes everything."

"Your orders, Deema?"

"Let’s fall back. Send a pigeon to Duke Osmund. At least we were able to wipe out the Fulgor Company."

"By your command, Deema!"

Arlan and his men searched the surrounding area but could only find the bodies of the Fulgor Company. Any bodies of the enemy were incinerated to a pile of ashes.

After combing the area thoroughly, Arlan decided it was enough and continued on the path east with the Storm Riders in tow. They rode through the stormy night until it ceased in the morning. The sun rising through gave an end to the storm. The warm orange hue revealed the city before Arlan and his cavaliers. It was Velena.

 

The King’s Blade had finally arrived in Velena to reunite with the rest of his banner. Arlan was riding with an unconscious Yuna who leaned against him. The extra person didn’t bother Kage as dark stygians were among the most powerful mounts.

Entering the city streets unveiled squads of soldiers from House Stonemar, shuffling constantly through the streets. Arlan knew this was preparation for a large operation, his military past could distinguish these matters with ease.

Arlan asked a nearby guard for directions to the Banner of the Claw's assigned lodging area. The guard informed Arlan that they were stationed on the southeast side of town, beyond the market district. Arlan, Edgar and the Storm Riders rode through the small city toward the southeast and arrived where their comrades had been.

JD was the first to greet his commander as he walked out from the Banner of the Claw's command post.

"Welcome back Field General Arlan!"

Arlan nodded, acknowledging JD's greeting

"I’m glad you’re well. Report?" Asked Arlan while he looked around the courtyard.

JD answered, "We've managed to eliminate five different units across the eastern front. Because of it, House Lansley and House Stonemar are preparing a combined offensive against the rebel lines. We suffered only injuries until the last battle… We lost a soldier from the vanguard."

Arlan turned back towards Kage and answered, "I see. Don’t put it on yourself, JD. You did extremely well to lead the Banner of the Claw for me while I was gone. Give me his name later. Before anything else though, I need to go see Duke Cole Stonemar immediately."

JD saluted, "Thanks, Arlan. Let me take care of the logistics with Edgar then."

Arlan picked up Yuna who was still unconscious and ordered out, "Also have Fiala see to this mage’s wounds."

"By your command, but who is she?" asked JD as he took Yuna from Arlan.

"She's the last Fulgor Company survivor that we know of, Lady Yuna Argold," replied Arlan as he turned back toward the city.

Before Arlan left, Marie and Chrysta had emerged from the command post.

With folded arms, the Embercaller teased, "You're back and you brought another girl with you. Quite the womanizer, aren't you?"

"Real funny," answered Arlan, "Her unit was wiped out from behind our lines. She's the last survivor."

"Behind our lines?" echoed JD as he was in disbelief, "There's no way any rebel forces got through without our knowing though!"

Chrysta added, "I've heard rumors of an enemy force that wiped out a few northern midland units already."

Edgar added his words as well, "General Arlan managed to kill three elite rebel crossbowmen before they could shoot Lady Yuna. We then came across a battlefield where there were only bodies of the Fulgor Company. It seemed a quick battle took place but the enemy bodies were disintegrated."

Arlan's concerned face conveyed the gravity of the situation to everyone and said, "I'm going to meet with Duke Cole and explain the situation. JD, have the banner prepared to move out on a moment’s notice."

"By your command, General Arlan," saluted JD.

Arlan also instructed, "Marie, stay by Yuna’s side. Please send for me when she’s awake."

"Without a moment to spare, General Arlan," answered Marie as she saluted.

 

Now alone, Arlan made his way from his unit's assigned quarters to the Stonemar Banner's command post. The afternoon held scattered clouds but the cold autumn wind started blowing, reminding everyone that cold winter was around the corner.

The paved road was shared by many townsfolk going about their daily routine while soldiers would stop and salute Arlan as he walked by in his mithril armor.

None dared to cross paths with the King's Blade. They knew how important his business was if he was headed toward Duke Cole Stonemar’s location.

After ten minutes, Arlan arrived at the heart of Velena. The area housed the Stonemar headquarters. The King’s Blade was greeted by the guards stationed outside. They recognized him immediately and allowed him to pass without question.

Inside, the command post was bustling with activity. Maps were spread out across tables, messengers hurriedly came and went, and officers were engaged in intense discussions.

Arlan scanned the room until he spotted Duke Cole Stonemar, the Head of House Stonemar. The duke was in deep conversation with his retinue. Arlan’s steps carried purpose and confidence as he marched before Duke Cole.

"Duke Cole," Arlan called out and gave a respectful nod. "May I have a moment of your time?"

The Stonemar Duke turned towards Arlan with an expression of relief, "Of course, Field General Arlan. Knight JD had informed me that you would be joining us around this time."

Arlan briefly glanced at the map before focusing on Duke Cole. "I bring concerning news. An unknown rebel unit has appeared behind our lines and wiped out a clandestine Midland Mage Unit. To my knowledge, all but one survived. The unknown rebel unit then disappeared without a trace."

All of Duke Cole's retinue exchanged concerned looks. A high-ranked Stonemar officer spoke up, his voice gruff, "General, how is that possible? We have strict surveillance and patrols all along the frontlines!"

"That's what troubles me," Arlan replied, his brows furrowing. "I’ve managed to kill three of their crossbowmen before they could kill the surviving mage. Then my men searched the immediate area and only found the aftermath of a battle. All enemy bodies were disintegrated. It seems they can appear behind our lines and want to erase all traces of their presence."

Duke Cole leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. "This is indeed alarming. Two months ago, two banners of a hundred men each were completely wiped out. They were stationed near a small village, Alafein. I sent a reaction force and they found no traces of the enemy. This may be the same group responsible."

Arlan's eyes widened at Duke Cole's revelation. The gravity of the situation was becoming increasingly clear. "Two banners of a hundred men? That's a significant force to be wiped out so easily."

Duke Cole sighed heavily, his voice filled with concern. "Our scouts tirelessly searched but found nothing. It may be the same enemy unit."

Arlan's mind raced, trying to piece together the puzzle, "Duke Cole, where is Alafein?"

Duke Cole nodded while gesturing to the map. "Four hours south. Another confusing element is that Alafein is of little strategic importance. I've sent a replacement force of over four-hundred men to hold the area down in case the enemy sees something we do not."

After examining the map, Arlan traced his pointer finger along the areas near Alafein. Then Arlan conveyed his thoughts, "Their ability to vanish without a trace suggests an Archmage of at least sixth-tier caliber and a highly trained force. We need more information. If left unchecked, we could see a collapse of our entire front."

Duke Cole agreed, his voice firm. "Indeed, we cannot allow them to continue going unopposed. But alas, we are on the eve of the final offensive. We cannot wait any longer or the harsh winters will be on us. Your banner's arrival a month ago has given us this opportunity. Which may not ever present itself again."

Arlan's gaze hardened and asked, "Would you tell me more of this operation?"

"Duke Frank Lansley has given word that his army will break through House Rainhall's lines and lay siege to their bastion, Levencourt,” stated Duke Cole as he pointed to the frontlines north of Velena, “During which, House Hawkwell will have to ride to House Rainhall's aid. I will then lead all Stonemar banners to clear a path to House Kaiser's last bastion, Eisanyr. Then we will lay siege to Eisanyr and end this rebellion."

"When did Duke Frank Lansley say he would reach Levencourt?" asked Arlan intently.

"A fortnight from today."

"Then this situation with the unknown rebel force must be dealt with before the attack," stated Arlan, "I will personally see to it and return before you march on Eisanyr."

"Praise Numen that he sent you, Arlan," said Duke Cole relieved, "Anything I can provide to assist you, please let me know. I'll send you any reports and maps we have regarding the area around Alafein."

"Thank you, Duke Cole. For Midland!" saluted Arlan.

"For Midland!" answered Duke Cole.

Arlan then left the headquarters and disappeared into the streets of Velena. Contingencies and plans formulated in his mind as he returned to his banner.

 

Meanwhile, at the Banner of the Claw's temporary infirmary. Yuna Argold was the only patient on a bed. Fiala had already finished treating the injuries. So the cleric was daydreaming at her desk with some tea. She wasn't alone, Marie sat in a quaint wooden chair at Yuna's bedside.

The Embercaller was intently studying the mysterious orb that Yuna was carrying. Marie jotted down notes of its properties and the way it looked. She had never seen anything quite like it.

Interrupting the peace, Chrysta entered the room and closed the door behind her. She smiled at Fiala's innocence.

"Fiala, lost in your own little world again?" Chrysta teased, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

The cleric snapped out of her daydream, blushing slightly, "Chrysta, you startled me! I was just...admiring the tea leaves."

Chrysta raised an eyebrow, unconvinced, "Tea leaves, huh? Well, I hope they're telling you something interesting."

Marie chuckled, putting down her notes, "I guess even clerics must daydream of being swept up by a handsome man."

Fiala blushed further, "Don't join in with her, Marie! Just cause I'm a devout cleric of Numen doesn't mean I can't take on a man."

"You're lucky you're not a cleric from Arindoth," replied Marie teasingly.

"What? Why's that?" asked Fiala.

Chrysta answered, "Arindoth's Church of Numen dictates that any devouts or clerics are not allowed to elope or have a relationship."

The cleric tripped over her words, "Well... I... But-"

"-Relax Fiala," Marie interrupted, "Did you forget you're not from Arindoth? I'm sure you'll find a husband one day."

At her friend’s suggestion, Fiala relaxed a bit and said, "You're right. I was anointed in Midland at Galdo... But a husband? I don't know about that."

"Well, in that case," Chrysta grinned mischievously, "I hope you stare at your husband like the way you do tea leaves."

Fiala laughed, feeling more at ease in Chrysta's playful presence, "I'll make sure to let you know if it catches me a husband."

As the three women shared a lighthearted moment, Yuna began to stir on the bed. Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked around disoriented. But before Marie could say anything, Yuna jolted up and tried grappling Marie to use as a hostage.

In response, Marie instinctively countered the grapple and flipped to Yuna’s side. Before the Argold mage could react, Marie interrupted her with a threat, "Another move and I'll incinerate you. And that girl over there has ice blades aimed at your neck."

Yuna felt the fire emanating on her left cheek as Marie's palm was pre-channeling a fire spell only six inches from Yuna’s face. The confused Argold mage moved her eyes over to Chrysta accompanied by three ice blades that were aimed at Yuna.

"What now?" asked Yuna nervously.

Chrysta answered from across the room, "First, you need to relax and understand that we're not rebels. We're Midland loyalists."

Marie then chimed in, "Second, Fiala over there just healed your wounds. They'll reopen if you don't take it easy."

"Alright then," acknowledged Yuna who figured if they were enemies, they would've chained her up or killed her already.

A loud bang erupted. It was caused by four Banner of the Claw Vanguard soldiers who had busted through the door. They were on guard duty outside the infirmary.

Marie canceled her spell and commanded them, "It's alright, return to your post."

"By your command, Baroness Marie. Excuse us," answered the most senior of the four soldiers.

"Baroness.... Marie?" asked Yuna as the four soldiers filed out.

"Baroness Marie Balan," confirmed the Embercaller, "Heir of House Balan."

Yuna quickly knelt, "My apologies for my rudeness. I thought I was captured by the enemy, so I acted harshly."

"Rise, Lady Yuna," commanded Marie as she guided Yuna back to the bed, "Sit or your wounds will reopen."

A small pain grimaced across Yuna's stomach where the bolt had penetrated originally. The wound was closed but the body was still adjusting to the internal pain.

Marie pointed to the Coldheart, "She's Lady Chrysta Balan, my sister."

Yuna quickly apologized, "I'm sorry for my actions, Lady Chrysta."

"I've taken no offense. I wasn't concerned with you hurting us. I was more concerned with killing you in defense," answered Chrysta who canceled her ice blades. Chrysta then left the room to fetch Arlan.

Marie then pointed to Fiala, "You have a few people to thank for saving you. The first is Fiala, the cleric who healed your wounds."

"Miss Fiala, thank you," added Yuna to her apologies.

"It is merely my duty," nodded Fiala.

“Our commander wanted to see you as soon as you were awake, please wait patiently until his arrival," ordered Marie as Yuna obeyed.

After a few silent minutes, Yuna's memories returned and so did her concerns, "Where is my orb? And is my brother okay?"

"Calm down," instructed Marie, "I have your orb. As for your brother, you'll have to speak to General Arlan."

"General Arlan? He's a general now?!" repeated Yuna.

"A Field General now to be exact,” confirmed Arlan as he emerged from the door. JD and Chrysta followed behind.

Everyone but Yuna noticed the seriousness of Arlan's face, they knew something bad was discussed with Duke Cole.

"General Arlan… What happened to my brother?" Yuna asked solemnly.

"I'm sorry, Yuna," answered Arlan, "Your brother, Quinn Argold, was already killed when I arrived last night."

"I see," acknowledged Yuna unphased. But everyone could see Yuna’s pain and anger surging through her eyes.

"If you want revenge for your brother's death," baited Arlan, "You need to tell me everything."

2