Book 2 Embers of War – Chapter 48
116 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duke Osmund Kaiser gazed in admiration at the Interitas cannon, holding three more Thurian orbs. It would need a few moments to discharge the mana overload.

His primary target was King Richard, but he cursed himself for not getting Grand Marshal Dink as well. At least he could assert that King Richard was no more. Anyone else killed by the cannon was just a plus point.

"The King is dead," declared Duke Osmund with satisfaction. "Finally! Oh how it feels good that this tyrant is gone!"

"No!" shrieked Chrysta.

"My liege," interjected Qorinth, "The Interitas Cannon requires time to rid itself of the extra mana coming from the Thurian Orbs. Maybe we can use one of these captives as a means to do so."

"A splendid thought, Qorinth," concurred Duke Osmund Kaiser. "Let's have the one without a demon core soak the mana. She'll work just fine."

"No!" yelled Marie desperately, her voice muffled under the spell of silence cast on her. "Choose me instead! I'll obey any command you give! But don't harm her!"

"Silence!" commanded Duke Osmund sternly, "Your pleas are worthless here."

The duke then glided over to where Chrysta had been entrapped in the [Gravity Well] and motioned for her to move towards the back end of the cannon where a surging mass of mana gathered.

"I shall begin now, my liege," declared Qorinth while tapping on some glyphs on the control panel.

Immediately after, searing blue beams of mana erupted from the cannon and bombarded Chrysta ceaselessly. The Coldheart screamed out in agony as if she was feeling blades stab into every part of her body.

Marie attempted to scream for help but couldn't due to the magical verbal embargo imposed upon her.

 

The Western gate was the scene of complete and utter devastation as Duke Louis surveyed the area. Shock and horror paralyzed him as he realized that his beloved brothers Daxton Reeve and Emile Reeve had been in the way of the massive mana ray.

With little more than an explosive howl, they were consumed instantly by the murderous beam with not a trace of their bodies left behind, shattering all hopes of any potential survival. Grief overwhelmed his heart like a crashing tidal wave.

Duke Louis's sorrow over his two younger brothers' passing was quickly replaced by rage. He shouted out in anguish and pain.

With a deafening roar, Lord Commander Jermaine crashed his polearm down on the Kaiser Elites like a hammer. Blood and dust flew in every direction as the enemy forces crumbled under his brutality.

"My liege! What are your orders?!" he yelled out between deep breaths.

Pain and sorrow still remained in Duke Louis' heart from the news of his two younger brother's deaths, but he rose up with a willingness to avenge them. Clenching his fists, determination and rage blazing in his eyes, he bellowed, "We will not retreat! Our fallen comrades shall not die in vain! Every banner reform around me!"

The commotion drew the attention of Commander Ragnar who had been fighting on to the south only three-hundred meters away. Uniting with Duke Louis and Lord Commander Jermaine they mustered their numbers back together to twenty-thousand soldiers.

On the other side, which was also reorganizing, there were still thirty-two thousand soldiers in the Kaiser-Hawkwell army formation. Leading them was Duke Elias Hawkwell and his confident brother, General Nealin Hawkwell. Supporting them were several Kaiser Lieutenants and Aspirants.

The Duke's question hung in the air, cutting through the smoky haze like a sharp blade. "Commander Ragnar, how many men have you lost?"

"Too many," answered Commander Ragnar solemnly. "Nearly one third of my infantry have been cut down during our defense."

Lord Commander Jermaine stepped forward, fear and respect thick in his voice. "My liege, I will follow you into the depths of hell if need be. But we cannot deny that our chances of victory are bleak: We are outnumbered nearly two to one; our allies have either fled or are scattered amid chaos; the enemy holds a powerful weapon that can end us all with a single stroke; and only half of the Banner of the Claw's Storm Riders remain, with two of our most effective commanders gone and no sign of Duke Osmund.

"I understand that our chance for success is almost non-existent," replied Duke Louis gravely. "But retreating now would only lead to certain destruction."

"Louis," corrected Lord Commander Jermaine. "Do not mistake me, I'm not suggesting retreat. I am merely pointing out how honorable it will be to die as warriors in service to you, my lord."

Duke Louis bellowed with laughter, pleased to have Ragnar as his faithful Adjutant.

"We shall make our stand and die gloriously," roared Commander Ragnar.

A determined voice echoed from behind them, "You Northerners waste no time in fantasizing about death."

Nicolas Stonemar marched forward alongside seven-thousand troops of Stonemar forces that he had formed from fleeing banners.

"Baron Nicolas! Thank the gods you've come!" shouted Ragnar jovially.

"It is Duke Nicolas now," declared Nicholas with a commanding air.

Ragnar bowed his head contritely, "My condolences for your father's passing. Cole was an exceptional man."

"There is no need for apologies, my friend," answered Nicholas confidently, his eyes fierce with determination.

The Duke's call to battle stirred the air with a chaotic energy, like a cauldron of fear and anticipation that hung in the air. Duke Louis' voice was cold and firm, "Even with your Stonemar banners regrouped, the enemy still outnumbered us... They're well-trained soldiers from House Kaiser and House Hawkwell; there are even some mercenary companies on their side."

A Reeve Lieutenant spoke up, "My liege, all troops are in formation."

His face grimly determined, Louis declared with finality, "Then let us start this blood bath! EVERYONE CHARGE! FOR MIDLAND!"

The thunderous sounds of hooves and feet struck the ground as a percussion of war. Duke Elias also gave the order to charge with General Nealin at the center point front. He would meet first with Duke Louis. A clash of two veteran warriors.

 

At the front of the keep, Erin, Dimitri, and Lem were doing their best to fight off a Gladiator Aspirant while a Paladin Aspirant protected by a unit of heavy infantry kept pushing against the Banner of the Claw's Vanguard.

"We need to get past them and help JD!" exclaimed Lem as he cut down several Kaiser soldiers.

"But it seems impossible!" yelled Dimitri in response.

"What must we do, Erin?!" asked Lem.

Erin took charge and shouted, "Isolate the Paladin from defending the Gladiator!"

"That's easier said than done!" replied Dimitri in frustration.

The clang of steel echoed around them as Erin's longswords clashed with the Gladiator's scimitars. While Lem and Dimitri teamed up on the Paladin and issued orders to their platoons.

Amidst the sparks flying from swordplay, a memory flashed in Erin's mind—it was when he had to tell Lanny of her brother Trent's death. His friend's demise drove his swordsmanship forward with renewed vigor; he had to fight for Lanny, just like Trent wanted him to.

The Gladiator was tiring from the relentless onslaught of Erin's longswords, but he managed to keep himself steady despite receiving several wounds. Suddenly, an opportunity presented itself and Erin seized it with a fierce riposte that sent both Scimitars clattering over the ground. With a snarl of rage, he drove his main-hand sword deep into the Gladiator's belly. "How-how...?"

A split second later, Yanie's arrow shot through the air like a lightning bolt and pierced straight through the Paladin Aspirant's neck. At once, Dimitri, Lem and Erin lunged forward with their longswords bared, thrusting them into the Paladin's body and ending his life in an instant.

"Vanguard! Forward!" bellowed Erin as blood dripped from his wounds. Rohas had already retreated with the mages to the Eisanyr keep.

 

Approximately fifty meters away from the Vanguard center, Luther grinned and spoke of his intention to keep JD alive long enough to see the Interitas weapon. Purple hues of magical symbols then appeared on the ground beneath him, restraining him and preventing any movement.

"Is this it? Is my life over?" asked JD with a sense of dread when he realized what was happening. "I wish I could see Chrysta one last time."

Noah's voice echoed within him, responding, "It's not over yet."

"Is that you Noah," JD said with a hint of resignation in his tone, as if he'd resigned himself to his fate. "Perhaps I shall come join you sooner in the High Heavens."

Noah denied his suggestion, saying emphatically, "It is not your time yet. You have much more to do."

At that moment, JD felt someone pushing him from behind - he was no longer within the Gravity Well - but when he turned around he saw Dimitri smiling while inside the spell. Lem was running towards them frantically, but he was too far away.

For JD, it felt like an eternity as everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. Dimitri mouthed one last thing to JD, "I'm going to Noah and Trent. Later bud." The purple light generated from the gravitational spell engulfed him. His armor and body were flattened in an instant to a pile of blood and thin metal.

"DIMITRI! NO!!" yelled Lem, "YOU BASTARD!"

"Lem! Stay back!" shouted JD. Nevertheless, Lem disregarded JD's command and ran towards Luther. Even the Baron Kaiser had admiration for how quickly Dimitri had pushed JD out of danger's way. He then utilized the same [Gravity Well] on Lem, saying, "If you want to join your friend so badly, I can make that happen."

Unfazed, Lem screeched out a response, "BRING IT ON YOU SCUMBAG!"

The seventeen year old with brown hair then threw his longsword in Luther's direction only for it to get repelled off course. The Kaiser Baron paused and chuckled mockingly, "Really? That was all you could do?"

"Yes," answered Lem as he pointed at Luther, "But it gave him enough time to do that."

Luther felt a bead of cold sweat behind him and turned to see Roderic covered in gore with [Blood Fury] activated, shoving his only war axe into the thigh slit of Luther's mithril armor.

The war axe cleaved down with such ferocity that it managed to penetrate Luther's mithril armor and cleave into his flesh. The concentration faded on the [Gravity Well] and freed Lem. Who leapt for his longsword and ran over with Roderic.

The Kaiser Baron howled in agony, as Lem, JD and Roderic lunged at Luther with all their might. But it was futile; the mana barrier Luther had erected held firm against their furious onslaught.

Suddenly Roderic dropped his war axe and shielded JD and Lem from a [Nixstorm], pelting Roderic with icy shards. His body was shredded into pieces, the only remains of his lower torso being his spine and some strips of skin that clung to his body above his waist. With his body he had shielded Lem and JD from the ice spell.

"JD...Lem," rasped Roderic as he took his last breath, "I think it's finally my turn to go."

Before Deema could finish off the Hatchets Commander, Yuna raced forward and plunged her staff into Deema's gut with an electrifying bolt amplified by her own power. She sent the Archmage soaring back twenty meters.

"You two must go now!" shouted Yuna, channeling another spell to fire at Deema while she tried to contain the Archmage. "Find Marie and Chrysta! I will hold them here!"

"Roderic?" called out JD. His heart sank realizing what had happened; Roderic had sacrificed himself for them, but his essence core was no more; Roderic was gone. He still stood tall over them, lifeless yet unbowed by death itself.

Luther soared above them at a height of twenty meters, his leg now fully mended. JD glanced below and noticed an empty bottle of powerful healing potion. "You all will meet the same fate as your other comrades," Luther warned menacingly.

Two [Gravity Wells] appeared beneath Lem and JD, trapping them in place and unable to move. Forty Hatchets rushed ahead and lunged into the air, axes swinging wildly towards Luther.

The two [Gravity Wells] shifted to the first three Hatchets, smashing them into a bloody pulp and metal. JD grabbed hold of Lem's arm and ran towards Eisanyr Keep, where Erin, Fiala, Yanie, the Silvan Rangers and the Vanguard had advanced upon.

A nearby Hatchet yelled out to JD, "GO NOW! WE'LL SLOW HIM DOWN!"

As the Hatchets continue to jump on Luther swinging their war axes into his mithril armor, they begin to grapple him and bring them down into the ground as well.

The Hatchets continued to jump on him, some would flatten from a [Gravity Well] while others would be sliced in two by Luther's mithril longsword. Luther now annoyed and enraged, "I'll make sure you'll all die here."

 

Not far away, Luther and the Hatchets could see Deema and Yuna, both drenched in blood from their battle. Yuna was doing her best to keep up with the Archmage.

"You're a troublesome one," commented Deema as he nursed his sore eye.

"I told you already," Yuna answered fiercely. "I'm going to make you pay for killing my brother."

"What makes you think you can? You're nearly all out of mana."

"Don't underestimate me."

Deema was first to act and threw his [Mana Silence] at Yuna with a reduced radius.

The prepared spell in Yuna's hand fizzled. Deema smiled and threw his [Arc Flare] at Yuna who managed to dodge the spell just in time and get within melee range of her opponent. The Archmage reacted by swinging his staff into her but the Argold mage was too nimble and rolled over his staff. Yuna answered back by swinging her staff overhead and activating instant cast [Firebolts] weaved in-between her attacks.

Deema skilfully evaded each beam of magic, his movement seeming to predict the direction of the attacks.

The two mages clashed their staves together with remarkable strength, the force of their blows enhanced by magical augmentation.

Yuna was so low on essence she had only barely enough energy for one third-tier spell. She was exhausted.

Suddenly, a lightning bolt struck Yuna square on. Her protective barrier of essence shattered instantly. As she attempted to rise, Deema pounced over her and pressed down on her with his foot.

"I thought you said you were going to kill me?" asked Deema mockingly as Deema held a palm of [Arc Flare] over Yuna's head. "It seems I have the last laugh now. Go and join your brother in the afterlife."

As Yuna thought of Quinn, memories of her adoption into the Argold family and his welcoming of her as his own little sister flooded back. Then one important detail hit her, she recalled how Quinn liked to cast on-touch spells.

Yuna summoned all her mana reserves, pushing it through the lanes in her body to collect in her palms. Her hands were just two inches away from Deema's forehead, but she only had enough for one attempt.

So she extended her pointer finger at him. Which was barely long enough to reach her intended destination. As Deema was about to unleash [Arc Flare] point blank. Yuna's pointer finger brushed against Deema's sack just long enough for her to channel all of her remaining mana into a [Static Grasp].

The electric enchantment discharged bolts of electricity into Deema's orbs, and with just enough power to make them detonate. He cried out in anguish and agony, falling back onto the ground.

Yuna wasted no time and got up as best she could and slammed the bottom of her staff into his head. The blow crushed his skull inward, killing him instantly.

"I told you... I was going to kill you," stated Yuna as she sat against a short stone fence. The Argold mage savored the taste of her sweet revenge. But as she did, a figure stood over her casting its shadow.

 

Back at Luther, he was getting tackled by the final ten Hatchets who were getting systematically killed by [Gravity Well] and being cut by the mithril longswords. But as he killed three of the Hatchets immediately, the last seven dogpiled onto Luther.

But a larger [Gravity Well] engulfed Luther and the Hatchets. Flattening the remaining seven into a pool of blood, flesh and metal. Luther was immune to his own [Gravity Well] spell.

"Now... Where did they go?" wondered Luther, "They must've gone to father. It makes no difference."

Luther's personal unit of four-hundred Kaiser Elites joined him in heading towards his father's position on the Eisanyr keep's battlements.

 

Amid the massive fight taking place just beyond the Western gate, Duke Elias and Duke Louis were clashing with each other using their Mar-Tech. Both had outfitted themselves in mithril armor, which would cut down on any damage done by blows that managed to get through their defense.

Nicolas Stonemar was stationed on the left wing, going up against General Nealin Hawkwell's main banners. As they fought closer and closer together, Nicolas Stonemar swung his mithril warhammer at General Nealin, who easily darted away from the attack.

Nicolas wasn't fast enough to keep up with Nealin's counterattacks, which came one right after another in a flurry of thrusts from his long spear. Sparks flew from every clash as Nicolas attempted to block each hit with his own weapon, though every so often one would make it through and almost pierce his mithril armor.

"Not bad but you're too slow, kid," said Nealin confidently.

"Nonetheless, I won't back down!" answered Nicolas stubbornly.

Nealin decided it was enough and unleashed [Thousand Needles] onto Nicolas. Knocking the mithril warhammer out of his hands and sending him his back.

 

Duke Elias loathed House Reeve with a special intensity, after they had taken away his daughter and eldest son. His only remaining family was his brother Nealin, and so Elias put every ounce of anger he had into his attacks against Duke Louis.

He fought with a mithril rapier while Louis used a longsword made of mithril—and when Elias activated the weapon's rune, it grew twice as long and filled the air with mana. Louis struggled to parry each attack, but one managed to get through which resulted in an eruption of kinetic energy that forced Elias back.

His enemy had countered Elias' strike with the Lion Claw's [Perfect Pressure] Mar-Tech, allowing Louis to gather all his essence and strength at one point of contact and cause a powerful explosion.

The two did feel something strange from where Nicolas and Nealin were fighting.

 

Chrysta's body arched in agony as the Interitas Cannon blasted her with a powerful wave of displaced mana. Marie stood helplessly, powerless to stop what was happening.

"My liege, this girl should have perished from the onslaught," Qorinth exclaimed in shock.

"Then she can be used to increase the firing rate after this next shot," Osmund declared.

"Your Highness, may I go join my brother now?" Rohas implored anxiously, thinking of Deema.

"Not yet Rohas, I need you here just in case one specific blonde girl shows up," Osmund commanded.

"Do you mean Nightingale?" Rohas inquired.

Osmund nodded emphatically as he added "Yes, Nightingale. She could have a way of taking out Qorinth without me noticing it."

Qorinth scoffed sarcastically at the notion of being threatened and Chrysta was removed from the Interitas and laid beside him. The twenty-four third-tier mages moved swiftly into their positions atop nearby towers awaiting further orders.

Along with Qorinth, Osmund commands his own personal guard unit of five-hundred men within the keep, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice.

"My liege, the Interitas Cannon is ready to fire again," announced Qorinth as the mages began casting powerful telekinesis spells to control and aim the weapon.

"Excellent, our next target will be that battle down there near the main gate," Osmund said coldly.

"Duke Osmund, it will take some time to adjust the Interitas Cannon," one of the mages warned.

"No matter," answered Osmund with indifference, "That fight won't be over anytime soon."

Qorinth was perplexed by this decision and asked, "My liege, are you not concerned that you might hit our own troops or Duke Elias?"

"They are all expendable," answered Osmund ruthlessly, "Especially when I have access to demon cores from Malum Incarnate."

"Very well then," sighed Qorinth in submission.

"Duke Osmund!" reported a sentry, "The remainder of the Banner of the Claw has just arrived."

"Finally, Arlan's legacy has made an appearance," muttered Osmund darkly.

JD, Lem, Fiala, Yanie and Erin appeared at Eisanyr keep's walls accompanied by two hundred Vanguard members. JD spotted Chrysta unconscious while Marie remained still.

"Marie!" shouted JD frantically, "What's going on? Why aren't you moving?"

Duke Osmund hovers effortlessly over the battlefield, wielding a great axe that glows with an otherworldly green light. JD's anger boils over as he demands to know what Osmund has done with Marie and Chrysta. The Duke answers calmly, revealing that he controls Marie through the demon core she absorbed and that Chrysta survived a blast of mana that should have killed her.

Ignoring Erin's protests, JD charges headfirst into battle, his essence core warping and evolving in response to his rage. The anguish shared between him and Arlan's Warlord Regalia manifests itself as a new regalia: the Hurricane Regalia.

As soon as JD activates the regalia, a wind spirit emerges from within him, helping him deflect spells and crossbows fired at him by enemy mages. He leads a squad of Vanguard soldiers up to the first tower, swinging his mithril longswords wildly and allowing the wind spirit to enhance their speed and power.

The air crackles with magic as JD fights his way towards victory, driven by pure fury.

With a roar of power, Duke Osmund casts an impenetrable barrier of mana around the Intaritas Cannon.

Yanie desperately fires her arrows at the invisible wall, only for them to be repelled back with a sharp clang. Rage steaming from her eyes, she mutters an angry curse.

"We must stop him before he can fire again!" Erin bellows with a desperate urgency.

The Tempest Knight charges forward, sprinting past the incoming wave of Kaiser Mages and leaping onto the stone platform. He is met by a sneer on Duke Osmund's face.

"Qorinth, fire it as soon as it's ready!" the Duke commands in a cruel voice. "I will take care of that Banner of the Claw."

Duke Osmund sends forth the same [Gravity Well] spell that Luther sends but this time, the wind spirit helps amplify JD's agility. Making him extremely hard to hit from certain spells and attacks.

The Tempest Knight roars with ferocity as he charges Duke Osmund, his mithril blades raised. He takes a wild swing but all he hears is the powerful clang of steel echoing through the air. His weapons had failed to pierce the adamantine armor encasing Duke Osmund.

"What in Numen's name was that!?" yelled JD, "That armor must be made out of adamantium!" Before JD could prepare for another attack, a loud clunk is heard and Rohas' mithril katar is abruptly stopped by a mysterious black hooded figure. Blonde hair spilling out from beneath her hood, it was none other than Nightingale!

"JD, let me handle Rohas," orders Nightingale sharply, "Just go after Duke Osmund and Chrysta!"

Yuna arrives at Eisanyr keep with surprising speed; the mana potion given to her by Nightingale providing her with an extra boost of energy. She fires off a powerful [Arc Flare] at Qorinth who simply ignores it as it is blocked by Marie using a magical shield.

"Marie?! What's happening here? Why are you siding with them?!" demanded Yuna.

Yanie quickly explains: "Osmund is controlling Marie because of her demon core."

In an instant, Marie dashes forward, with green flame wings appearing from her backside and she starts rapidly firing [Firebolts] at Yuna who barely manages to dodge out of their way.

 

Back at Nicolas Stonemar who is lying helpless on the ground, prepared to accept his fate and succumb to General Nealin's onslaught. But something strange stirs deep within his soul, a powerful energy surging through his veins. His essence overflows with an unknown force that he cannot identify.

General Nealin is a fifth-tier white-core warrior while Nicolas never managed to obtain a demon core like many others, leaving him stuck at a lowly fourth-tier red-core. But to his surprise, his core was now pulsing with the power of a sixth-tier white-core. The strength coursing through him was overwhelming, and as General Nealin brings down his long spear, Nicolas explodes into action. With a mighty swing of his warhammer he sends General Nealin flying into a throng of Hawkwell soldiers.

"What? How is this possible?" whispers Nicolas in disbelief. He looked around to see that his troops were now pushing back the enemy forces. Something feels familiar but the sensation quickly fades as he turns to face the enemy once more.

 

Yuna's movements become increasingly frantic as she dodges Marie's [Inferno Hands], desperately hoping that her agility is enough to save her from the scorching heat. Her skin feels like it's being cooked in an oven and yet she continues to fight, her mind fixated upon one goal: survival. JD rolls beneath Duke Osmund’s axe swings, barely managing to escape each blow with but a sliver of life energy left. Meanwhile Chrysta anxiously awaits his rescue, her hopes for freedom barely alive.

Rohas watches in horror as Nightingale effortlessly weaves through battle using her [Trickster], knowing that he is no match for this fifth-tier red-core assassin. His blood pumps faster than ever before, sweat dripping off his tense body as he valiantly attempts to keep up with Nightingale's icy precision. He knows that if he fails to remain vigilant, he will be cut down in an instant; his fate sealed by the unstoppable force of Nightingale's weapons.

"How are you this strong?!" demands Rohas.

Nightingale answers tauntingly,"I am my master's weapon. I have been honed beyond what you think is possible."

"Wait... if that Argold mage is here, where is my brother?" snarls Rohas, full of rage and worry.

"That Archmage? He's dead. Yuna smashed his head in," replied Nightingale spitefully, delighting in the thought of inciting further wrath from Rohas.

"No way!" yelled Rohas, denial permeating every syllable even as his heart sinks with the realization of what has come to pass. "My bro probably ran and is hiding somewhere."

Erin, Yanie, and Fiala rush towards the first cleared tower. Injured Vanguard soldiers lay everywhere as arrows soar through the air.

"Deploy here Silvan Rangers!" commanded Yanie, but they were running dangerously low on arrows. Yanie herself only had six left while the others barely had any.

"Please put any wounded inside the tower and not on the roof!" yelled Fiala as they quickly laid down their comrades to safety in the small bunker tower.

"Erin! We have a problem!" shouted a Vanguard soldier, "A new wave of four-hundred Kaiser Elites is behind us and heading up the stairs! It's Luther's elite shock troopers!"

"Fuck! We'll be crushed here!" cursed Erin under his breath.

"We've barricaded the large door closed already." reported the soldier, "They'll be busting through in minutes!"

"I'll take care of our rear," declared Erin as he rallied a few squads around him to form a concave shield wall around the fifteen meter tall door that they had just climbed up only five minutes ago.

Yanie added, "Luther will be coming too. His gravity magic could kill dozens if we don't stop him."

"Everyone is busy fighting already though," replied Erin, "There isn’t anything we can do. I may have to face him head on and buy us time."

Yanie grabbed Erin by the arm and said urgently, "Don't say that. This war has taken enough heroes already."

Erin nodded grimly and marched back to where he came with a platoon of Vanguard soldiers ready for battle. The pressure of death grew stronger from behind them as they prepared for an intense fight against Luther's forces.

Luther's mouth turned into a snarl as he rose from the wall, looking down on the chaos below. "Pathetic insects," he sneered, contempt filling his voice. He promised his men a chance to destroy their enemies and here he was, watching it all unfold.

Erin steeled himself for the coming onslaught of Kaiser Elite shock troopers, some of the finest soldiers in the realm. He ordered his troops into phalanx formation, facing towards the door with a curved half circle. Yanie, Fiala, and Lem flanked at his sides as he prepared them for what was coming.

The sounds of battle grew louder and louder until suddenly something inside the tower began to emerge. Luther rose even higher, hovering over his father's side as JD fought back against him despite [Gravity Well] not working.

Explosions rang out from behind them as Marie chased Yuna around and around the walls in an endless game of cat and mouse--the battle below echoing its way to the top of the tower.

"My liege," called out Qorinth, "The Intaritas Cannon is ready to fire but we have one issue." The booming sound of battle answered him as they prepared to face down four hundred of the deadliest soldiers ever created. It was time for this final confrontation.

With an explosive burst of energy Duke Osmund sends JD rocketing across the room, shattering the wall behind him. "What?! What is happening now?!" he demands, his voice cutting like a blade through the air.

"My lord... the Thurian orbs are gone," Qorinth responds, his face frozen in terror at the revelation.

"Gone?! How?! Were you not just standing there with them?!" Osmund thunders, disbelief and disappointment clawing their way into his voice.

"I was, my liege, but someone must have stolen them!" Qorinth stammers out as shame spreads across his features. "Wait! There! On the keep's tallest tower!"

Osmund follows Qorinth's finger to see three panthers standing atop the tower, each one holding one of the precious Thurian orbs.

"Rohas!" shouts Osmund without hesitation, "You and your Assassin brothers go and fetch me at least one of those damned orbs."

Rohas glances over to where Nightingale stands waiting for him in battle stance, then back to Osmund. "Right now?!" he protests.

"Luther will keep her busy for you," Osmund snarls, a hint of menace coating every word like honey. "Kill her if you wish Luther."

Luther hurls a flurry of gravity wells at Nightingale. She managed to dodge the spells, narrowly escaping their deadly area of impact. Nevertheless, Nightingale retaliated with a barrage of her own attacks that Luther effortlessly parried. The duel between them was interrupted as Rohas and two Assassins Aspirants chased after three panthers in an acrobatic chase across the rooftops of Eisanyr Keep for the Thurian Orbs.

Amidst the chaos, the barricaded door to where Erin, Yanie, Fiala, and Lem were at had suddenly began to shake and bang. Terrified, they braced their shields until one final blow caused the logs to shatter into pieces.

From out of the resulting smoke and dust emerged a figure wearing plate armor and topped off with a cape, which lifted Erin's spirit instantly. But what appeared before them next sent waves of shock through everyone: Two dead Kaiser Elites had been thrown at the Vanguard's feet.

"It... It can't be," said Erin with tears streaming down his face.

Another pocket of smoke subsides revealing short hair.

Lem turns to Erin and both of them in tears, "Is it really?"

Both unsure of how to react or think it's potentially a trap laid out by the enemy. Fiala and Yanie jaws dropped who also have tears sliding down their face. Even the Vanguard soldiers begin to tear and smile at who they may think it could be.

As the figure draws closer and closer, everyone else further away stops fighting and looks to notice that it's not Kaiser Elites.

JD gets up from being knocked against the watchtower wall and looks over to see the smoke finally subside. JD mouths some words to himself as tears stream down.

A figure in mithril armor with a red cape. A blacksteel claymore drawn over his shoulder with short hazel hair following the breeze.

The familiar soldier then says, "Hey."

Are you excited to see Arlan's new powers?
  • Hell yes Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About time he comes back! Votes: 2 50.0%
Total voters: 4
3