Book 2 Embers of War – Chapter 50
73 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Picture: Marie Balan at Lancel High Academy before the Trifront War. (AI generated art)


Beyond the demonic barrier, Lem and Erin wrapped up the last of the Kaiser soldiers, knowing that entry wasn't an option. And just as they were catching their breath, Yanie's voice cut through the tension, "Erin! There's a surge of mana on the north battlement!"

A massive blue portal materialized, conjured from thin air, and countless giant ant like monsters spew forth. It was the phormics. Like a river of insects, they were racing toward the bunker. Erin swiftly issued orders, "Everyone, fall back west to the bunker! We're going to intercept those phormics!"

Lem chimed in with urgency, "Form a double-layer testudos! We'll hold them ten meters from the bunker!"

The Vanguard, dismounted Storm Riders, and Heracul Knights converged on the battlements, responding in unison, "By your command!"

Yanie and her Silvan Rangers were joined by Nightingale and her Umbras to position themselves in support. Their mission was to ensure that no phormics breached the defenses and threatened the injured within the bunker.

As the formation locked into place with their shields raised, the swarm of phormics collided with the phalanx. Their numbers were formidable, at least four hundred, and more continued to pour through.

"Now!" Erin bellowed, and the Vanguard glowed with a yellow aura, surging forward with [Rampage], pushing the enemy ten meters back while creating a substantial essence barrier. Arlan's aura still reached them, but his extendable essence barrier could only protect those inside the demonic mana barrier.

Storm Riders on the flanks swiftly cut down the phormics, while Heracul Knights unleashed powerful bombardment spells on the phormics' rear ranks. Nightingale and Yanie held the Silvan Rangers and Umbras in reserve, ready to rotate with the Vanguard when necessary.

Most of the phormics were small, first-tier red-cores. However, for each phormic defeated, two more spawned from the blue portal. Yet, bolstered by the renewed stamina, the Banner of the Claw slowly began to gain ground.

Erin and Lem shared a knowing smile as they stood at the forefront, easily hacking through the ant-like beasts. Their strategy aimed to close in on the portal and annihilate any emerging phormics within seconds. The memory of their fallen friends fueled their resolve.

Just when it seemed they were gaining the upper hand, Yanie sensed a surge of mana behind her, near the entrance of the south tower where they had originally ascended. Another blue portal manifested right at the same door Arlan had previously shattered.

"Erin! Another portal behind us, to the south!" Yanie's voice carried the urgency as she signaled her Silvan Rangers, "We're out of arrows, but we'll hold for as long as we can!"

"Then we'll hold here!" Lem shouted back, engaging a pair of freshly spawned  phormic overlords.

As Yanie and her unit drew their blades and prepared to face the oncoming phormics, a voice echoed from her right, "You won't stand alone."

It was Nightingale and her Umbras. While they only numbered twenty-five, they were well-suited for close combat. Among them were three of Nightingale's personally selected Panthers, renowned for their brutal and efficient swordplay, which quickly dispatched the first few rows of phormics.

Before the phormics could overwhelm Nightingale and her Umbras, Yanie and her Silvan Rangers squeezed through the gaps, filling in any openings they found. They understood their role and it was to support the small but deadly Umbras.

Half of the Heracul Knights diverted to the south in order to cast support spells. Their goal was to reinforce the southern makeshift defensive line. The Heracul Knight’s support added to the already significant advantage provided by the Aura of the Monarch's Regalia. For Yanie, Nightingale, Erin, and Lem, the path to victory seemed increasingly assured.

 

Even with the tumultuous battle beyond the confines of the demonic barrier, the scene inside was no less intense. The epic clash pitted Arlan's group against Osmund's as their final confrontation unfolded.

Edgar found himself in a dire predicament, confronted by the formidable challenge of combating two merciless Hell Knights simultaneously. Whenever the Hell Knights' menacing flails threatened to breach Edgar's defenses, it was Arlan's steadfast essence barrier that deftly blocked their attacks.

“Damnit!” muttered the Storm Rider, frustration simmering beneath his breath.

Beside Edgar, the Tempest Knight and General Sakrates stood firm. The infusion of demonic power had elevated Sworan General, rendering him more formidable than ever. Yet, JD's evolution into a seasoned Knight, combined with his newfound Hurricane Regalia, put the Tempest Knight above his opponent.

At the control panel of the Interitas Cannon, Arlan and Luther were locked in a deadly duel. Destiny had cast its die, decreeing that only one would survive this ferocious battle. Duke Louis and Duke Osmund fought alongside their respective sons, but Osmund held the upper hand with his unyielding adamantine weapons and armor.

Above them all, Qorinth soared through the skies, harnessing his wind spells to glide. The Kaiser Archmage was weaving offensive spells while dodging deadly fire spells. The Embercaller's dominance was evident, owing it to her unparalleled reservoir of raw mana, surpassing even Arlan in his [True King] form, though not by a significant margin.

With only four companions within the mana barrier, the stakes of this struggle were magnified. Each passing moment carried profound significance, and the combatants keenly felt the gravity of their actions.

Edgar grappled with the formidable Hell Knights, their tough hides proving impervious to his attacks. However, he remained steadfast in his role. An opportunity materialized when both Hell Knights unleashed a flurry of attacks with their flails. The swinging spiked chains relentlessly struck the essence shield protecting Edgar, who desperately tried to parry any attack he could.

A sly grin crossed the Storm Rider's face, and after a brief moment, only one flail continued its assault on Edgar. The other Hell Knight ceased its strikes, casting a perplexed gaze at its comrade.

Suddenly, the frozen upper torso of the immobilized Hell Knight slid away, leaving only its legs, revealing JD. The Tempest Knight's mithril longswords dripped with sinister purple blood, and a chilling, demonic voice reverberated, "You killed my brother! You will die!"

General Sakrates was bewildered as he was staring at another JD before him. His greatsword swung through the illusory form of the Tempest Knight, dispelling it from existence. [Echo] was a new ability that came with the Hurricane Regalia. JD could manifest after image clones of himself. However, his mastery of this new ability was still limited to creating a single stationary clone.

Now that one of the Hell Knights had been struck down, the number of combatants on both sides was even. Both the remaining Hell Knight and Sakrates lunged at JD, but using [Echo] allowed him to dodge the oncoming attacks.

Meanwhile, Edgar lept with all his might and thrust his spear into the back of the last Hell Knight. The steel tip plunged deep into the demon's spine. The lifeless creature fell to its knees as Edgar withdrew his spear, fixing his gaze on his next adversary.

In the following moment, Sakrates unleashed [Colossus Smash], a formidable attack that landed squarely into JD. The impact propelled the Tempest Knight back a few meters, though he emerged unscathed. Luckily, he was still shielded by Arlan's barrier. 

"Is this more of your trickery?" Sakrates inquired.

"I'll let you figure that out," JD retorted.

 

Meanwhile, Duke Louis and Arlan persisted in their two-on-two skirmish against Luther and Duke Osmund. The Kaisers had already discarded the notion of using offensive gravity magic, realizing its futility against the Monarch’s Regalia. Instead, they harnessed their gravity powers defensively, weaving them into an intricate dance of movement and coordination.

The two pairs of combatants clashed in a symphony of magic and steel. Duke Louis moved with graceful precision, his steps light and agile despite his imposing figure. He employed [Perfect Pressure] to counter Duke Osmund’s adamantine greataxe.

Arlan in his [True King] form demonstrated perfect combat efficiency. His essence capacity was large enough to be used offensively and create impenetrable barriers around him and his allies.

On the opposing side, Duke Osmund used his adamantine armor to trade attacks with Duke Louis. Refined through countless battles, his battle experience provided him with deadly precision. His instincts allowed him to wave off even Arlan’s attacks.

Luther, now a harbinger of demonic might, had transcended his prior limitations. His mastery of gravity magic had reached new heights, and he moved with a lethal grace, his every motion calculated to disrupt the synergy between Duke Louis and Arlan. He sought vulnerabilities in their defenses, exploiting them with precision strikes, and aimed to tip the balance enough to kill his targets.

The battlefield crackled with energy, as spells and sword clashes filled the air with thunderous roars. Each combatant was fighting to their fullest potential, and the outcome of this epic confrontation hung in the balance, a clash of raw power, tactical brilliance, and unyielding resolve.

 

Back at JD and Edgar’s fight, they weren’t able to penetrate Sakrate’s defenses. Bolstered by demonic strength, the Sworan General proved to be a more resilient foe than expected.

Sakrates swung his menacing claymore at both JD and Edgar. This created shockwaves of dark energy that exploded out, knocking both fighters back a few meters. JD got up perplexed, he had never seen anything like it before. The Sworan General had used his new Mar-Tech [Abyssal Cleave]. When Edgar got up alongside JD, they both exchanged a quick worried glance before they were put on the defensive by more of Sakrate’s attacks.

In the midst of a heated confrontation, JD and Edgar found themselves pitted against the unyielding General Sakrates. The dark influence of the Malum Incarnate had elevated Sakrates to become resilient, rendering him an adversary if taken lightly. Each swing of his malevolent claymore sent shockwaves of dark energy rippling through the air, propelling the two warriors backward for several meters. They faced the wrath of [Abyssal Cleave], a lethal Mar-Tech that afflicted a severe curse that weakened their attacks.

Upon regaining their footing, a mutual understanding passed between JD and Edgar, underscoring the gravity of their situation. Their conventional tactics had proven to be ineffective against the formidable Sakrates. While their defenses were impervious, so was Sakrates.

JD broached a suggestion, his gaze fixed upon the imposing figure of General Sakrates. "Edgar, it's clear we can’t keep this up. I feel my strength getting weaker every time he uses [Abyssal Cleave]."

Edgar concurred with a firm nod, never once averting his eyes from their formidable opponent. "You're right, JD. We need to do something or else we’ll be in a stalemate that we cannot maintain."

"What if we synchronize our strikes against him?” JD proposed, “Combining our attacks may break his guard."

Edgar readily agreed, his conviction shining through his gaze. "Worth a try, I’ll throw everything I have."

The next time Sakrates swung his menacing claymore, dark energy rippling around it, JD and Edgar leaped into coordinated action. With impeccable timing, they met the incoming onslaught head-on.

JD's two mithril longswords and Edgar's steel spear intercepted the malicious weapon, forcing a collision that sent sparks and dark energy cascading through the air. The resulting shockwave was formidable, but the combined strength of the Tempest Knight and Storm Rider managed to halt the [Abyssal Cleave].

In that crucial moment, JD and Edgar managed to push back against Sakrates, their eyes locked on their adversary as they overpowered his guard. This was their gambit—a daring attempt to break through.

Sensing their opportunity, the duo intensified their efforts. The fiery determination in their eyes synchronized their next move. JD used [Titanstrike] that was paired with Edgar’s [Thousand Needles] and the combined might broke through the Sakrate’s essence barrier. With a resounding impact, they drove their weapons through and striking true. Dark energy burst forth, dissipating into the air as Sakrates let out a guttural cry.

But Sakrates wasn’t finished, he reached out and grabbed Edgar with his right arm, piercing through Arlan’s essence barrier. He then turned to JD and reached out with his left arm to grab the Tempest Knight. A cold sweat dripped down his neck as he felt nothing, it was only an after image of [Echo].

JD appeared from behind and swung his mithril longswords horizontally. Sakrates' head was severed from his body, bringing a chilling end to the Sworan General's malevolent existence. The act of retribution was a bittersweet victory for JD, a culmination of the pain and loss endured throughout the war's early days. He felt had finally vindicated Miss Petrah and the orphans, their memories honored.

As the lifeless body released Edgar, he landed on his knees, gasping for breath after the close encounter with Sakrates. JD, his own adrenaline still surging, extended a hand to help Edgar to his feet.

“On your feet Edgar, we’re not done yet.”

At the same time as JD and Edgar’s fight, Marie was darting through the air, making quick movements in different directions to dodge multiple incoming [Wind Blades].

"Is that the extent of the Embercaller's arsenal?" Qorinth taunted, his voice dripping with scorn. "And here I believed you were a greater challenge."

Marie maintained her aerial dance, her grin undeterred as she retorted, "And here I thought I couldn't encounter anyone more hideous."

Qorinth's eyes flashed with anger. He twirled his fingers, conjuring a few quick [Gust Bolts] that spiraled toward Marie. "Your fires are nothing to my mastery of the elements. I’ll kill you as you are!"

Their duel continued, as Marie countered with an [Inferno Hand], dispersing Qorinth's missiles. With a devilish smile, the Embercaller sent out multiple fifth-tier [Arc Flares] effortlessly.

The crimson bolts soared toward Qorinth. But before they connected, Qorinth had already enveloped his body with [Torrential Sphere], which reduced the impact of any offensive spell by ninety-percent. The remaining damage was absorbed into Qorinth’s base mana barrier.

Qorinth's hearty laughter resonated, "Impressive. But it would take more than that to defeat me."

Marie's smirk dripped with sarcasm and insult as she fired back, "Pride comes before a fall. But I suppose you're used to being on your knees."
As the fiery exchange of spells continued, Qorinth couldn't resist a final retort, "I admire your spirit but I'm afraid it won't be enough to save you for what comes next."

Marie launched an unremitting salvo of [Arc Flares] at astonishing speeds. Her tone dripping with derision, she countered, "Your pitiful magic is on par with your grotesque appearance. Incinerating you to ashes will be a favor to the world."

Qorinth shot back, "You insufferable bitch!"

Marie chuckled with a smirk, "Got under your skin?"

In response to Marie's relentless onslaught of [Arc Flares], Qorinth encased himself in a glacial tomb known as [Immortal Stasis]. The incendiary projectiles from Marie's attacks ricocheted off the immense ice crystal, temporarily holding back the Embercaller's fiery assault. The battle between the two mages had reached a pivotal juncture, with Qorinth skillfully deflecting the blazing onslaught.

However, the immense strain of casting spells at such a rapid pace triggered an unforeseen transformation within Marie. Her demonic core contorted and morphed, causing excruciating pain as it infused her body with demonic mana. Something sinister was smoldering within the Embercaller.

"What's happening?" Marie whispered to herself, clutching her chest where the pain seared most intensely.

Qorinth seized the opportunity, breaking free from his icy prison. He noticed his adversary laboring with agony and seized the moment to send forth three fourth-tier [Iron Fractures]. The trio of metallic missiles relentlessly drilled into the protective essence barrier safeguarding Marie.

Taking full advantage of this brief respite, Qorinth initiated the channeling of his formidable seventh-tier trump card, [Oblivion Surge] which converted all of the caster’s mana into one concentrated attack.

The Kaiser Archmage had been unable to employ it until now due to its long cast time and risk of being manaless. He concentrated all of his mana into his staff to meet the activation requirements. Numerous cobalt arcane glyphs enveloped the Qorinth as he nearly depleted his mana.

The atmosphere above everyone else transformed into a swirling maelstrom of arcane mana as the potent spell approached the end of its cast time. Upon completing the cast time of [Oblivion Surge], a colossal cobalt beam fired from the staff. It radiated an ominous luminescence that threatened to engulf everything in its path, including Marie, who remained in its direct trajectory.

 

Meanwhile, at the clash between Luther and Arlan, time dilated at Arlan’s will. The King's Blade inquired in his mind, "Sophia! What happened to Marie?! I thought she could have evaded it!"

Sophia replied, "She could have, but she didn't move. Her mana was behaving erratically just before the spell struck."

"Not even the [Heraldic Vision] understood what happened?"

"No I couldn't... I'm sorry, my king," Sophia admitted. "However, I can confirm that her core is still active. She's alive."

"Then what exactly happened?"

"I can only provide a theory,” Sophia explained methodically, “Her demonic core has been exhausted beyond its limits, given the tremendous amount of mana she has expended. Her body must have incurred the consequences of those limitations."

Arlan recalled the times he had pushed his own core beyond its boundaries and asked, "Is she still connected to my aura?"

Sophia reassured him, "She is still receiving your Aura of the Monarch's Regalia, but she is no longer an eighth-tier red-core."

Confused, Arlan pressed, "What do you mean?"

Sophia clarified, "Updating your display now. With your aura, Marie's core is currently at a tenth-tier red-core."

 

Qorinth's maniacal laughter rang out as [Oblivion Surge] was vaporizing Marie and everything in its path, pushing through until it reached the demonic wall behind her. Smoke and dust lay in the destructive spell’s wake.

Satisfied, the Kaiser Archmage then allowed himself a sinister monologue, "There's a peculiar satisfaction in silencing impertinent girls who dare to insult my appearance. The delight I derived from torturing your friend earlier was truly erotic. I’ll have my way with her later when you’re all dead. But… What was her name again?"

An alluring yet fiery voice slithered through the air to answer Qorinth, "Chrysta."

The Kaiser Archmage's hair bristled with dread, and fear coursed through him as he faltered, "Unbelievable! How can you still be alive?!"

Within the subsiding dust, a pair of folded amethyst devil wings gradually unfurled. They unveiled an unscathed Embercaller, whose once-green flame wings had undergone a remarkable evolution.

Marie felt enamored by her new wings, their fiery splendor captivating her. Yet, the transformation didn't stop there. Her voice had morphed into an eerie, yet oddly alluring cadence as she repeated her proclamation, "Her name is Chrysta."

Qorinth panicked and frantically chugged from his only mana potions. Meanwhile, Marie was enveloped by an unprecedented surge of power. An enigmatic but potent mana entity had cocooned her core, providing a comforting warmth.

The entity guided her consciousness to a new segment of her core, one inscribed with the enigmatic label [Hellborn]. Information about its capabilities inundated her mind. She couldn't help but murmur her newfound capabilities, "Devil’s flight... Fire manipulation… [Divine Words]... [Soul Damnation]?"

Qorinth had barely managed to replenish a mere twenty percent of his mana when Marie readied herself. Urged by the entity residing within her, she initiated the casting of one of her newly acquired spells, [Hell's Purgatory].

Observing the Embercaller conjure a potent new spell fueled by staggering amounts of mana, Qorinth quickly resorted to his trusty [Counterspell]. However, much to his chagrin, his endeavors proved fruitless, as the cobalt rays meant to disrupt had no effect on Marie.

"Absurd!" Qorinth exclaimed, doubling down on his second onslaught of [Counterspells] and [Arcane Blasts], his desperation becoming more palpable by the moment. While in her [Hellborn] state, Marie gained a passive ability known as [Divine Words], rendering her immune to any disruptions, silencing, or control effects, unless initiated by another being with [Divine Words].

The Kaiser Archmage found himself consumed by an unearthly dread as he locked eyes with the Embercaller. Gazing into his soul was a pair of pitch-black opals that radiated a verdant flames. An emerald conflagration began to manifest in Marie’s right hand.

Despite being able to passively feel the titanic amounts of mana emanating from Marie’s spell, Qorinth used [Detect] and found that Marie’s core was now unreadable. But he could see that the potency of the mana being used was at least equivalent to an eighth-tier spell.

"Wait!" Qorinth's voice rang out, his plea echoing through the air. "Listen! I'm just following the Duke’s orders! I surrender!"

The deadly viridescent flames that had danced at Marie’s fingertips, dissipated into the ether. Qorinth's heart swelled with a sigh of relief with thankfulness that he was to be spared. The Embercaller put an end to his fleeting respite as she continued to  glide through the air toward him.

"You operated and made that,” Marie's voice resonated with conviction as she pointed at the Interitas Cannon, “It took countless lives away… Nicky’s father… Emme’s father… Arlan’s uncles… the suffering endured by Chrysta… And your vile promise to rape her.”
"No, it was all a terrible misunderstanding! It was merely a jest!" Qorinth begged with desperation as the Embercaller closed in menacingly.

With every blink, Qorinth was trapped in a bewildering dance of shifting realities. One moment, Marie gracefully glided toward him, and in the next, a sinister woman with light purple skin was gliding toward him instead. Another blink, and it was Marie once more, an unending cycle that toyed with his senses.

As the disconcerting transformation continued, Qorinth's heart pounded with mounting dread. Their wings weren’t the only similarity; their eyes were identical, sending a chilling shiver down his spine.

"What... What is happening...?" Qorinth's voice wavered as he whispered to himself, his words barely more than a breath.

The Embercaller, who had previously served as the judge, had now assumed the role of executioner. She pressed her right palm against Qorinth's forehead, and the ominous spell [Hell's Purgatory] poised itself for release.

"You shouldn’t have harmed Chrysta," Marie declared with vengeance but she cast [Soul Damnation] instead.

The imminent doom Qorinth expected did not materialize. Instead, reality bent once again. The Kaiser Archmage found himself standing alone on a solitary obsidian pedestal, encircled by an unending sea of molten lava.

In this hellish lair, colossal pillars of bones rose ominously, instilling a profound sense of dread. Horrified at the grotesque sight before him, Qorinth saw that people were impaled to the bone columns all around. Their agonizing screams from being burned alive instilled a sense of agony within.

It was a nightmarish realm, but Qorinth was the same demonic woman he had glimpsed earlier. She reclined upon a gothic throne forged from the charred skulls of the damned. Her voice carried a wicked, seductive melody.

"My, oh my! You're quite the handsome one," she purred as her tail wagged.

Overwhelmed and entranced, Qorinth dropped to his knees and raised his arms, yearning to embrace his newfound idol. "No one has ever complimented me..."

"You poor, misunderstood thing," the demonic woman cooed, her voice oozing with false comfort.

"Might I ask… Who are you?" Qorinth inquired with curiosity.

"Oh... you don't recognize me?" The devilish succubus replied playfully, her voice dripping with seduction. "Darling, I am the empress of this hot paradise. I am the irresistible allure to both men and women, beckoning them as the forbidden fruit of lust. Lilith, the Goddess of Hellfire."

She extended a clawed hand toward Qorinth, a wicked grin dancing on her lips. "And you, my dear, have become a guest in my sultry domain."

"Please, spare me, Goddess of Hellfire! Allow me to be your devoted worshiper!" Qorinth shamelessly begged, groveling before her.

"Darling, as much as I'd love the company, I'm bound by an unbreakable love to the bearer of Lucifer's Regalia," Lilith explained. "And she has already pronounced your fate."

Qorinth stared at his shaking hands in disbelief, his voice trembling. "That infuriating Balan girl?"

Enveloped in a torrent of fury, Lilith surged from her ominous throne. Her once seductive skin turned ashen black as her wrath manifested in her very essence. Her voice thundered with demonic malice, reverberating through the fiery realm. "DO NOT SPEAK ILL OF HER!" she bellowed, a warning that shook the very foundations of the domain.

Qorinth cowered in fear after the otherworldly display of force. Beads of sweat formed on his brow as he quaked before the vengeful goddess.

After a brief moment, Lilith let out a small sigh, her form returning to its seductive allure. She reclined in her throne, twirling the end of her tail around her finger. Lilith pondered for a moment before reaching a sinister conclusion.

With an evil glee in her voice, she announced, "For your insolence... you shall face punishment."

“Wait no!” protested Qorinth but it was too late. Four minotaurs emerged from the lava and each tore off a leg or arm. Qorinth cried out in pain as he watched the minotaurs gnaw on his limbs like it was corn on the cob.

The nightmare was far from its conclusion as swarms of devilkin materialized, a legion of malevolence emerging in unison. These wicked creatures hoisted a long, ominous black object above their heads—an immense obsidian nail, its size rivaling that of a spear.

With disturbing delight and twisted laughter, they lifted the sinister implement over Qorinth's exposed stomach. The anguished pleas and desperate supplications for mercy was pleasurable music to their diabolical ears.

Lilith sadistically watched the gruesome scene unfold. Ecstasy spread throughout her lustful body. The Goddess of Hellfire moaned with pleasure as the minotaurs slammed their gargantuan fist onto the nail, impaling the screaming Qorinth to the ground.

"Your cries are delightful, my dear little darling," Lilith declared with a sadistic grin. She snapped her fingers in sinister satisfaction and set Qorinth a blaze. He screamed in unending agony, his torment echoing throughout the false paradise.

His soul was now eternally imprisoned, fated to burn for as long as Lilith desired. The Hellfire Goddess’s maniacal laugh was chilling and unrestrained. She relished in the savory taste of brutal violence. 

When her insatiable desire was finally satisfied, Lilith gazed upward, aware of the presence watching. She gracefully held an imaginary dress, curtsied, and inquired, "My love, did I satisfy your craving for revenge?"

"It was perfection," Marie remarked coldly. Her eyes reopened to see the soulless husk of Qorinth. In her right hand, [Hell's Purgatory] still smoldered. Marie finally released the emerald streak of flame and it ravenously devoured Qorinth from head to toe. It left no trace behind, not even a wisp of ash.

Marie said to herself, “So this is the power of Lucifer’s Regalia…”

2