Chapter 20 – Surprise
226 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Thought you might never ask,” grunted Sirius. “There’s not been any actual news about Voldemort, none that’s known out in public, anyway. He seems to be lying low for now.”

“If it’s only information known to the public, then the order would be pointless, wouldn’t it?” asked Harry, eliciting a smirk from Sirius. “What does the order know about what he’s doing, Sirius?”

“Smart of you to ask me on the side instead of in front of Molly. You’d get nothing with her around,” he laughed. “Apparently, he’s been looking for something. Though I’m not sure it’s best for you to know what it is.”

“Come on, Sirius,” said Harry, exasperatedly, “you know as well as I do, I can take care of myself. You, of all people, know there is no need to baby me.”

Sirius hesitated for a moment, then finally nodded.

“Fine, you’re right.” sighed Sirius, “what do you want to know?”

“What is Voldemort looking for?” asked Harry.

“You might not know this, Harry but before you were born, there was a certain prophecy,” started Sirius, “Dumbledore was interviewing Sybill Trelawney when she made a prophecy. A prophecy that seems to have involved you. Voldemort found out about the prophecy, which is why he attacked your family.”

Harry recalled the memory of Voldemort finding out about the prophecy from Snape.

Harry grit his teeth and asked, “If he already found out about the prophecy, then why is he looking for it now?”

Sirius shook his head. “it seems what he had actually found out was just an incomplete prophecy. Now, he wants to listen to the complete prophecy so he can know if he missed something or not.”

“You said he’s looking for it,” started Harry, thoughtfully, “does that mean it was recorded and kept somewhere?”

“The moment a prophecy occurs, anywhere in Britain, a copy of it would automatically appear as a crystal ball in the Hall of Prophecy in the Department of Mysteries of the Ministry of Magic,” replied Sirius, “The thing about those prophecies is that, only the people who are mentioned in the prophecy can touch the crystal ball, no one else can, no matter how powerful.”

“So, if Voldemort wants to see that prophecy then he would have to go to the Ministry of Magic himself,” said Harry, he continued after a pause, “or, use me to get it.”

Sirius nodded somberly, “which is why we’re guarding the entrance to the Department of Mysteries. Since Fudge won’t take Voldemort’s threat seriously, we have to take matters into our own hands and ensure Voldemort doesn’t get to that prophecy.”

“Is it that serious? Is him finding out the rest of the prophecy that bad?” Asked Harry.

“Dumbledore seems to think so,” replied Sirius, “personally, I think prophecies are crap, but if Dumbledore thinks Voldemort shouldn’t find out what the prophecy said, then it might be for good reason.”

“I know Voldemort would have spies everywhere. How many does he have in the Ministry? Wouldn’t they help him get the prophecy?” asked Harry.

Sirius thought about it for a moment. “Well, he has Malfoy, that’s for sure. Other than him, it’s really hard to tell who else is a spy for Voldemort. We know one or two of them, but they’re fairly unimportant.”

“I see. In that case, do we have any trustworthy spies amongst Voldemort?” asked Harry.

Sirius sighed, “Well, Snape is one, though I suppose that’s fairly obvious.”

“I said trustworthy, Sirius,” said Harry with a frown.

“None of those then,” laughed Sirius. “Now, let’s discuss all of this later. Molly is staring daggers in our direction right now.”

Harry looked around and noticed that they had already set the food on the table and everyone else was taking their seats to have dinner.

Harry’s gaze landed on Mundungus Fletcher. Harry could feel some sort of slimy, disgusting feeling coming off of Mundungus.

Harry felt he could almost see a murky aura around the man as he joked around with Ron, Fred and George.

Seeing this, Harry frowned and turned towards Sirius. “Mundungus doesn’t seem like the kind to be in a secret society, especially one fighting Voldemort,” he said, quietly.

Sirius nodded at Harry, “he owed Dumbledore a favour and is rather loyal to him. Though his usefulness is mainly because he knows a lot of criminals, seeing as he is one himself.”

“I really think we should be a little more wary of him though,” said Harry, rather disconcerted.

“Don’t worry Harry, none of us really trust him to have our backs,” said Sirius, his tone immediately turning icy, “Especially not after he botched his protection of you.”

Harry nodded, and in the blink of an eye, dinner finished. Having already asked what he wanted to know, Harry helped everyone else clear up and quickly made his way upstairs with Lily, Hermione, and the Weasleys.

Just before entering, Lily grabbed Harry’s hand and dragged him to the side.

“This is really exciting!” She said, almost squealing.

Harry laughed and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a hug.

“I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself,” he said, “though I missed you during dinner.”

“I wanted to give you some time with your godfather,” she replied, as she lay her head and his chest, “I had a lot of fun talking to Hermione though.”

“Where are you sleeping tonight?” He asked.

“My room is right next to Hermione’s and Ginny’s room,” she replied, “alright, I should get to bed. Mrs Weasley said we would have a long day tomorrow.”

Lily pulled back from the hug and gave Harry a peck on the lips.

“I could sleep with you, like usual,” said Harry.

“Oh no, you don’t. I’ve had enough of my aunt teasing me. I don’t want everyone here doing it,” she replied, “especially Fred and George. They’d never let it go.”

Harry agreed begrudgingly and gave Lily one more peck on the lips before she headed off to her room.

Harry entered his bedroom, quickly got ready, and dove into his bed. Ron already seemed to be asleep.

The next day, Harry awoke rather early to find the first rays of the sun streaming into the room, lighting up the rather gloomy room, though not really fixing the gloomy, drab feeling.

Harry stretched and got off the bed, causing it and the floorboards to creak. Ron stirred at the sound and he sat up, rubbing his eyes.

“Morning, Harry,” he said sleepily.

“Morning,” replied Harry.

The two made their way downstairs to find Mrs Weasley getting ready to clean the living room. Lily was next to Mrs Weasley, her face covered up and a doxycide in hand.

“Morning Harry!” said the ever-cheerful Lily, “you too, Ron.”

“Good morning,” said Mrs Weasley, “Grab one of those doxycide. You’re all helping to get rid of these doxys. They’re a lot more than I imagined.”

Harry and Ron covered their faces and grabbed a spray bottle from a wobbly table.

Hermione, Ginny and the twins walked in soon after Harry and Ron got ready and, listening to Mrs Weasley’s instructions, they similarly got ready.

“Doxys bite and their bite can be poisonous. I have a bottle of antidote, but I really don’t want to use it,” said Mrs. Weasley. “I wonder what that house-elf, Kreacher, has been doing for ten years.”

“Kreacher is just old, he probably can’t think straight,” said Hermione defensively.

“Hermione, can you please stop your insane ideas? It’s driving me crazy,” said Ron, with distaste. Hermione immediately opened her mouth to argue but was beaten to the punch.

“She’s not wrong, you know?” Said Harry, “We don’t know why Kreacher acts the way he does, but there must be a reason.”

“You say that because you haven’t met that loony house-elf,” grumbled Ron.

Hermione turned a grateful look towards Harry. She almost looked like she had found an oasis in an arid desert.

Moments later, Sirius walked in with a bloody bag in his hand. Harry looked over at the bag curiously.

“Ah, I was feeding Buckbeak. I keep him upstairs,” said Sirius when he noticed Harry’s expression.

Soon after, once they were all done with the de-doxy-fying, they moved on to decide what they could and could not throw away.

The doorbell rang constantly and thankfully, because Harry had already destroyed Sirius’ mother’s portrait, there was no more screaming when there was a noise in the hall.

As they worked, Harry saw something on a shelf that almost made him jump in shock. He tried to slow his racing heart and slowly made his way to that shelf, trying his best to seem casual.

He reached towards the object that caught his eye and picked it off the shelf and held it in front of his eyes.

It was an ornate locket, one that would be remarkable no matter the person who looked at it. It had a serpentine S, inlaid with glittering green stones. That alone was enough for Harry, possessing Voldemort’s memories to know what he had found. However, what he felt from it was what made him doubly sure that he was right.

The object in his hands exuded an evil aura, one that he could feel would try to devour him if he was too close to it.

An aura Harry was intimately familiar with. One that could easily evoke the most hideous rage from him.

Harry stared at the locket, one of the objects he had set out to find, to take down Voldemort. To be able to finally kill him, once and for all.

One of Voldemort’s Horcruxes, Slytherin’s locket.

Drop in a review and some comments so I know people are actually reading this (~_~ ;)

11