Chapter 3 – Engagement
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Morning came, the sun was rising brightly. Robert woke up and remembered the horror of the past because of what happened last night.

"I need to learn a new language? Learning Mandarin was a real pain and now I need to learn those runes. I don't want to experience that again." Robert muttered to himself while he was looking at the ceiling.

"Young Lord, the bath is ready," The maid said.

"Okay, let's take a bath first," Robert said.

Robert went into the bathroom. The maids washed his body carefully because his body was so frail. On the other hand, Robert always enjoyed the bath because why not? What kind of man hates being washed by women in the bathroom.

After the bath, Robert had breakfast with his family. The menu today was steak. It reminded Robert about the past when he had tried to eat the steak long ago. Everybody ate their food happily.

"Alright, I have an announcement for you kids," William said.

Hearing their name, Richard and Robert paid their attention to Count William.

"Since both of you can walk without problem anymore. You will get your own bedroom," William said seriously.

"Then, I couldn't play together with my brother anymore?" Richard said.

Richard was about to cry because he thought he couldn't play with his brother anymore.

"Of course, we can still play together. We just have a different bedroom." Robert said.

Robert rarely interacted with his brother because the way their mind worked was different. He had a more mature mind while Richard had an innocent mind. They couldn't interact normally like any other twins. But Richard loved his brother because Robert was the only person he could play with.

After they had done eating. The maids escorted them to their new room. Robert's room was in the opposite direction of Richard's room. This was Count William's plan so they wouldn't be too dependent on each other.

"So this is my room. Pretty simple for a noble bedroom," Robert said.

There was a mirror beside the wardrobe. Robert saw it and grinned.

"Finally I can see my face."

Robert walked to the front of the mirror.

"My face is similar to Richard's, but it is like my face had been upgraded by plastic surgery. This must be the effect of [Attractive]. My body and face are so symmetrical."

Robert thought the effect wasn't so noticeable. Both Robert and Richard had blue eyes and blonde hair. Their faces were also similar, but with the addition of [Attractive]. It became easy to tell which one was Robert and vice versa. Not only that, but Robert was also smaller and had paler skin color compared to Richard because of [Hunter's Potential] drawback. Time would only make their difference more apparent.

Robert laid down on his bed because he got nothing to do anymore for the day. He wanted to learn how to read this world's alphabet. But, he thought it would be too suspicious for a two years old kid to learn how to read. So he waited patiently until the time was right.

****

Three years later.

In the dining hall. Everyone had eaten their lunch and they were about to leave.

"Father, I want to learn how to read," Robert said.

"You want to learn how to read? Great! I will invite a teacher for you." William said.

Count William was a bit surprised. Robert miscalculated the time. He thought kids in this world learned how to read around the age of four or five. Actually, kids in this world learned how to read around the age of six or seven.

Robert didn't expect his father to be surprised.

'Maybe now is not the time yet? I messed up,' Robert thought.

"Thank you, Father," Robert said.

"Look at our son, other kids learn how to read when they're six years old. But he wants to read now instead. Our child will have a great future." Christine said happily.

"Hahaha, you are right, how about you Richard? Do you want to learn it too?" William said.

"No! Books are boring. I want to be a knight like Father." Richard said while puffing his chest.

"That's my son! Sadly your body is not ready yet, I'll invite a teacher for you when you are seven years old." William said.

"That's not fair!"

Richard was unhappy because he couldn't learn sword fighting right now. He ran out to the courtyard and sat down under a tree.

"That kid has a bad temper," William said dejectedly.

"I'll talk to him," Robert said.

"That's very nice of you. Go play with him son!"

Robert also went out to Richard's location.

"Richard, you were rude back there. You shouldn't have done that." Robert said.

"But Father was unfair. You get to learn how to read now while I need to wait until I'm seven."

"At least you get to learn when you're seven, Richard. Look at me, my body is weak. I'm pretty sure I can't even learn sword fighting when I'm seven. You should be grateful instead."

"I'm sorry brother, maybe I shouldn't have done that," Richard said.

"You shouldn't apologize to me, but Father instead."

"Alright, I'll apologize to Father next time."

"Don't be sad now Richard, let's play together!"

Robert played hide and seek together with Richard until they were tired. They rested under the tree and chatted.

A while later, a carriage with a Harford crest on it came into the manor. A muscular man with brown hair and beard came out of it. The man has sharp green eyes. The maids greeted the man.

"Guide me to Count Godwin." said the man.

A maid guided him to Count William's study room. When the man got inside the study room, Count William and the man stared at each other like they were enemies. Then they laughed.

"Hahaha, long time no see, Thomas!" William said.

"Hahaha, glad to see you are not dead yet!" Thomas said.

"Come sit over here. you must be tired after the long journey from your County."

They sat together and had a small talk.

****

A while later after the talk.

"Anyway, that's enough chitchat. I came here to offer an engagement." Thomas said.

"I was about to ask you an engagement too. But, you came to me first. Hahaha, looks like you are impatient." William said.

"Good to know that. We have been friends for ages. I want to deepen our family relationship with this engagement."

"I know your daughter likes knights and my son Richard wants to be a knight. I think those two will fit together."

"So, which one is Richard? I have a hard time remembering them because they are a twin."

Count William pointed out the window. Exactly where the courtyard was.

"You see there. The one with a bigger body is Richard, and the one with a smaller body and pale skin color is Robert."

"No wonder he wants to be a knight, he is four years old but his body is already that big. I'm sure he will be a strong knight."

"Hahaha, exactly."

"Anyway, I have other business to work on. We had a great time. I will leave now."

"I hope you will have a safe journey."

Just like that, Richard now had a fiancee.

***

Meanwhile, in the courtyard, Robert and Richard were too busy playing chess.

"How to move this piece?" Richard said.

Richard was confused because this was the first time he played chess.

"That piece moves in an L-shape," Robert said.

"L shape? what is an L?"

'I forgot people in this world don't use Earth's Alphabet.' Robert thought.

"Forget it, they can move like this."

Instead of saying it, Robert gave an example to make it easier to understand.

"Oh, so it moves like that. Now, I understand. Then I will move it to this place."

They played until dinner time. In the end, Richard lost horribly.

"You are so sneaky, Brother," said Richard.

"Hahaha, playing chess requires strategy, Richard. Every move has a purpose."

"I don't need that anyway, I will beat my enemies with strength alone."

"Don't be like that Richard. A knight that acts without a clear strategy can't save anyone."

"But I can beat you without in a fight easily. So you are wrong."

Richard didn't agree with Robert's opinion

"Yes, of course. You can beat me because I'm weak. But what if the enemies are strong and there are a lot of them?"

"I will beat them with my strength!"

"Haish, I don't care anymore. Anyway, remember my advice. This will save you someday in the future."

Robert backed down, he didn't want to continue the debate. They went back for dinner and slept soundly.

3