Chapter 6 – Journey
26 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After learning the basics. Robert trained five days a week and the remaining days were used to rest his body.

In the training field. Robert was training with his teacher, Mr. Randy.

"Excellent. With this pace, I'm pretty sure you will master the basics in no time." Randy said.

Robert was doing slashes and thrusts with his sword.

Day by day, Robert's body became more defined and his muscles were suited for combat. After he mastered the sword-fighting basic, he also learned other weapons like spear, bow, and dagger. In the end, he only liked to use a bow and a sword.

****

Five years later.

Robert had mastered the basic combat techniques and learned the common knowledge in this world. Richard's relationship with Vivian was also got better over time. They even snuck out in secret to have a date sometimes.

"Today, I have important information for you, kids," William said.

Richard and Robert paid attention to what Count William had to say.

"You both are fifteen. It's time for you to enter the academies."

"Finally! I can't wait to improve my combat skills," Richard said.

"You're not the only one who has been waiting for this, Richard," Robert said.

They looked at each other and laughed.

"Good! Since you are eager to improve your abilities. I'm sure you will be fine in the academy. I will send you to the Imperial Academy in the Empire's capital next week."

"Imperial Academy? Isn't that the best academy in the Empire?" Robert said.

"With the abilities you had shown to me. I'm pretty sure you will pass the entrance examination."

Robert and Richard felt so eager to enter the academy. They rushed to their rooms and prepared all the things they needed. The only thing they needed to do now was wait for departure. Lastly, before they went to the academy, Richard had a date with Vivian.

"Must be nice to have a girlfriend that cares for you," Robert muttered to himself.

****

The next week.

They rode the same carriage. Two bodyguards were accompanying them. One was a driver on the front, the other was riding a horse to guard the carriage.  But somehow the atmosphere was not right. Richard was absentminded and he looked like someone that had been caught doing bad deeds.

"Hey, Richard. What happened? You got dumped by Vivian?" Robert said.

Richard snapped back to reality. He looked at Robert, but he fastly averted his eyes to the other direction.

"Nothing happened, I'm just nervous because this is the first time we leave the County," Richard said.

"Huh? You are nervous because of that? That's so unlike you. Anyway, just relax and enjoy the ride." Robert said.

Robert was enjoying the view from the carriage's window. So many trees and flowers as far as the eyes could see. Meanwhile, Richard was still looking nervous. Robert felt something strange had happened to Richard. But he ignored it since Richard didn't talk about it.

Later in the night, they stayed at an inn. The inn was not luxurious because they stopped by a small town.

"We will rent four individual rooms." The bodyguard said.

"Here are the keys, your rooms are on the second floor." The innkeeper said while he was giving the keys.

The inn was so lively, many people were chatting and drinking on the first floor. But, Robert and Richard didn't want to stay on the first floor since they need to take a rest because of the tiring carriage ride.

Inside Robert's room. It was simple, there were a bed and a chest without any other furniture.

"I'm curious now. What happened to Richard that made him become like that? No way! Is Vivian pregnant right now? Is that why Richard became like that?" Robert muttered to himself.

While Robert was thinking about it. Someone knocked on the door. Robert raised his eyebrows wondering who was knocking on the door.

"Young Lord, this is me the bodyguard. I have something urgent to tell you!" The bodyguard said.

'the bodyguard he said? His voice didn't match with my bodyguards. Hmmph, this guy is suspicious. I better bring my sword.' Robert thought

"Okay, wait a moment," Robert said.

He brought his sword and unsheathed it. He came closer to the door silently. When he was right in front of the door. Robert opened it quickly and thrust his sword forward. Robert's sword stabbed the unguarded fake bodyguard right in the heart. The fake bodyguard was actually an assassin. He wore a black robe so Robert can't see his face.

But, there was another assassin besides him. That assassin tried to slash Robert. This was the first time Robert had killed a person, his body felt weak all of a sudden and his hands became shaky. Because of this, Robert failed to dodge the slash. Ultimately, he got slashed right on his left eye.

"Aaaagghh" Robert screamed.

He fell to the floor while he was covering his eye with his left hand. The assassin tried to slash him again but now he failed horribly. The wound on his left eye was so painful that it made him realize his mistake. Robert had regained his composure and started to fight back.

Because of the screaming, the bodyguards came out of their room quickly.  The assassin noticed the bodyguards' footsteps and he was thinking that it was not possible to continue the mission. He jumped away to the window to run away from the bodyguards.

The bodyguards rushed and saw Robert was wounded.

"I'll call a doctor." The bodyguard said.

Then, Richard came from the next room.

"Yo, Richard. You okay there?"

Richard was panicking. He didn't expect his strong brother to get that wound.

"That is not the question right now. What about you? That wound looks so painful."

"It is painful. But the bodyguard has called a doctor. Don't worry."

Richard's face was full of guilt. He was trying to say something but he didn't say it in the end.

"Richard, you have beaten those people right?"

"No, they ran away after they hear your shout."

'Richard's face looks like someone caught in the act since the beginning of this journey. There is no way Richard is related to this attack right?' Robert thought.

He stared at Richard like he wanted an answer. But, Richard just stared him back with a worried face.

'What are you thinking, Robert? Why would Richard try to kill me? He is not that kind of person. Maybe Father's enemy wants us dead. Yes, that makes more sense than Richard trying to kill me' Robert thought.

In this type of event, you couldn't even ask for a refund from the innkeeper since the town only has a few guards in the first place. So, Robert could only blame himself for making that fatal mistake.

****

After a while. A doctor came in to check on Robert. He examined his left eye. The only thing the doctor could do was to stitch his eye so it wouldn't turn into disappropriate shape after it healed.

"Unfortunately, you will lose your left eyesight." the doctor said.

"What? Can you do something about it, doctor?" the bodyguard said.

"There is nothing I could do anymore. The wound is too deep and I can't use healing magic."

"What about church? Have you tried to find a priest there?" The other bodyguard said.

"I couldn't find any church in this town." the bodyguard said.

"I'm sorry Young Lord. Because of our negligence, you became like this. You can punish us however you like!" said the bodyguard.

"Stop talking like that. if I punish you two, who will escort me and Richard to the academy?"

****

In the end, they had stopped debating about punishment. The bodyguards left the room with guilt all over their faces. 

"Go back to your room, Richard. I want to be alone now." Robert said.

Richard also went back to his room. he thought he could console his brother. But, his brother wanted to be alone so he left without any word.

'F*ck, I lost my eye right before the academy exam! Nice timing!' Robert thought.

Robert didn't know what to do, he just hoped that his wound wouldn't hinder him too much later.

Since it was night, Robert got sleepy after the adrenaline calmed down. He slept soundly even with that wound.

3