Chapter 13 – The Summons of the Headmistress
255 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Brimstone Memorial Hospital certainly worked fast, Cobalt had to admit. No sooner had he been carted through the door when he was immediately rushed to Accident and Emergency to assess his condition. Though he was still out cold at the time, a healthy dose of adrenaline was administered, whereupon he was informed that while had suffered a number of minor burns, Izzbelle's relentless assault thankfully hadn't broken any of his bones. After a brief overnight stay, the Incubus was then sent on his way back to the school.

Not that he felt any better for it, as he had come out in purplish bruises all over his body that ached with every little movement he made. That Monday morning, it took him a lot longer than usual to pull himself out of bed, and sleeping in a futon had done his bruising no favours. By the time he had eaten breakfast and stumbled down the dormitory stairwell, the bell had already rung, signaling the beginning of homeroom.

"Oh no..."

Clattering down to the ground floor with all the grace of a newborn giraffe, Cobalt waved hastily to the housekeeper before barging through the front doors of the dormitory, fiddling with his satchel all the while. As he tried to stuff a ream of documents back where they belonged, however, the Incubus abruptly slammed into what felt like a brick wall. Crying out, he fell onto the gravel, the pages flying everywhere.

"Agh! This is not my day..." he murmured, wincing as his bruises began to throb.

He was replied by a condescending snort, drawing his gaze to what he had just blundered into.

Izzbelle Suyas stood in the middle of the path, her arms folded impatiently. The Oni had been provided with a new uniform after her last one was burnt to cinders, and yet she had already torn the sleeves off the shirt and blazer. Not only that, but she had decided to forgo wearing her tie properly, instead having it knotted around a bulging bicep.

Cobalt blanched at the sight of her. He hadn't spoken to the Oni since their altercation, and if he was honest, he was still kicking himself for the words he spoke back then. No matter the situation, calling upon someone's painful past was a no-go, and he had clearly stepped over the line when he used James' name to defend himself.

Swallowing hard, the began to laugh nervously as he swiped his papered back into a folder.

"M- Miss Suyas, good morning! Running late as well, I see?" he stammered as he tried to get back on his feet.

Frowning, the Oni cast her gaze elsewhere.

"Somethin' like that..."

Clearing her throat, Izzbelle shook her head and suddenly grabbed both of his shoulders. Her grip was firm, enough to make the burns beneath his shirt scream in pain, but Cobalt kept a brave face. She looked troubled.

"About what happened. I, uh... I guess I shouldn't have, uh... y'know... beat the shit outta you," she admitted in a surprisingly bashful tone.

"Izzbelle?"

"Sh- Shut up, I ain't gonna say this again! I'm sorry, alright? There! I fuckin' said it!"

She shoved him back as her usual fiery temperament returned, but Cobalt could sense no malice in her actions. With a little smile, he trotted alongside her as she turned to make for homeroom.

"It's okay, Izzbelle, really. You've had a rough time of it, and I know you're not used to opening up. We'll just take it slow, alright?"

Her eyes widened.

"Take it... slow...?"

Her eyes suddenly flashed with anger at the same time as her cheeks flushed red. Shoving the Incubus back, she bared her teeth at him threateningly.

"Just what the fuck do you take me for, you dumbass?!"

And as quickly as her mood turned sour, Izzbelle stormed off down the path, scattering gravel everywhere with the combat boots that were most definitely in violation of B.I.D.'s uniform policy.

Sighing, Cobalt just scratched the back of his head and clasped his satchel shut. While he still felt as though he was treading on eggshells around Izzbelle, he no longer felt any hostility from her. He was sure that when the time came for her to open up, he would be there.

As he made his way through a small courtyard towards the main building's front entrance, he couldn't help but feel the stares of the tardy students around him burn into the back of his neck. Since facing down the blazing Oni, the student populace hadn't been tormenting Cobalt quite as much, and though he was thankful for it, he simply couldn't fathom why.

Stepping into B.I.D.'s front hall, a polite cough from the Golem at the front desk drew his attention.

"Mr. Trayer?" the receptionist asked, looking up from his computer.

"Um, yes?"

"The Headmistress sent for you. She wants you to come up to her office."

Cobalt froze up. His blood stopped in his veins. His heart shot up into his mouth, only to plummet into the pit of his stomach. Every conceivable sensation of dread and apprehension hit him all at once, driving the Incubus lightheaded.

"Sh- She did...?" he asked fearfully, his voice raising in pitch.

The receptionist nodded.

"She sent for Ms. Cain to take rollcall for your class in the meantime."

"O- Okay... When did she ask for me...?"

"Five minutes ago."

Eyes wide and legs shaking, Cobalt stammered a brief farewell to the receptionist before staggering off in the direction of the main stairwell. The feeling of dread only worsened as he placed his hand upon the banister and slowly began to climb.

How long had it been since he was last called to the Headmistress' office? It had to have been four years at the least; back when he was a third-year student. Even back then he knew that getting called to the office was never a good thing, and such visits often caused even the hardest of deliquents to break down into quivering wrecks. Though his memory was foggy, he vaguely remembered being sent to Headmistress for punishment after he took the fall for one of his friends, but he couldn't for the life of him remember what exactly transpired...

The Headmistress was a terrifying and orderly woman who hated tardiness above all else, so biting his lip and ignoring the pain his body was in, Cobalt rapidly ascended the stairwell, shaking all the while.

 

------

 

"MEPS MENMO ETIUQNILER IUQ CUH SITARTNI"

When he was younger, Cobalt was blissfully ignorant of what the words inscribed above the great ebony doors of the Headmistress' office meant. But now that he was a fully qualified to teach Language - and thus could speak Tongues fluently - he found the colour draining from his face as he raised his fist to knock upon the blackened wood. His employer certainly had a dark sense of humour, that was for certain...

"Come in, boy," called a commanding voice from beyond the door.

Deciding that it would be best not to ponder what awaited him within, the Incubus took a deep breath and pushed the great doors open.

The Headmistress' office was a long, grand chamber that took up most of the building's top floor. The walls were lined with bookshelves and filing cabinets, while far above them, the stuffed and mounted heads of various beasts stared down at any who trod upon the blood-red carpet. At the far end of the room, a woman sat behind a grand ebony desk, quietly humming to herself as she polished a sleek hunting rifle. The suit she wore was crisp and spotless, and across her shoulders was draped a black cloak complete with grey epaulettes. She gazed out the large window behind the desk as she cleaned her weapon, observing the latecomers as they bustled about the school's main courtyard.

As he approached, Cobalt's foot struck a squeaky floorboard. At once, the Headmistress whirled around and shouldered her rifle, aiming squarely down the scope at the Incubus in her midst.

He nearly fainted right then and there.

"No need to look so cowed, boy; I didn't call you here to spank you," she stated, her voice sharp and cutting.

She lowered the gun, allowing him a good look at her face.

Mistress Viola had a sharp, waspish visage that seemed to exude a kind of cold calmness that both terrified and awed those to whom she spoke. Steely blue eyes ringed with dark shadows cut straight through Cobalt as he trembled before her, and as she set her hunting rifle into a display stand behind her desk, the bat-like wings upon her back idly fluttered through the holes specially cut into the dark cloth of her cloak.

Most Succubi were known for being effortlessly beautiful. Mistress Viola was known for being effortlessly terrifying.

"I'm sorry, m- miss," Cobalt stammered, taking a sudden interest in the floor.

He heard her sigh.

"Chin up. You're not a student anymore."

"R- Right, of course. Sorry, miss."

"And for the love of all below, will you stop apologising?"

"S- Sor-"

Viola gave him a look. It was but a slight inclination of her head, but it was enough to shut him up. With a crook of her gloved index, she gestured for him to follow her over to the left side of the office. There, a pair of couches sat before an electric fireplace.

"Sit," she commanded, pointing to one of them.

Cobalt obeyed silently, bunching up as he seated himself upon the couch as though he was afraid to crease the leather. Mistress Viola circled around to a small cabinet by the window, where she produced a pair of ornate tumblers and a large bottle of whiskey.

"I- It's a little early for me to be, um..." he stated, trailing off as she fixed him with her gorgonesque stare.

"You'd best pick up the habit then, boy. It's necessary in this line of work."

Clinking some ice cubes into the glasses with a pair of silver tongs, she poured out a generous helping of amber whiskey into them before handing one to Cobalt. He accepted with one shaking hand, nearly spilling it as he brought the acrid fluid to his lips. Seating herself across from the nerve-wracked Incubus, Mistress Viola coolly sipped her whiskey and stared at him intently.

"I took a risk hiring you. I came so close burning your application offer, did you know that?" she sighed, swirling her drink.

His eyes widened. The letter he spent a week writing, coupled with all of his references and writs of commendation he received from his university professors?

"But I decided to give you a chance. Not only because I was down one teacher after what happened with Mr. Whitaker, but because I felt I owed you as much. Even despite your behavioral record."

Cobalt's cheeks burned with embarrassment. She had the right of it; as a student, Cobalt was less than well-behaved. He was a wilder child back then, and the people he hung around with weren't terribly good influences either. But he had worked extra hard to turn himself around and become a model teacher; his stellar results at Oxford were proof of his dedication!

"So imagine my disappointment when I get woken up in the middle of the night to find a hole in the dormitory wall, the lawn torn to pieces and a student holding her own teacher's unconscious body. And to find out that he invoked an archaic Rite on top of all that. Tch."

The Incubus began to panic internally. This was it, wasn't it? Nary a fortnight into his career and he's already being fired. This whiskey was just his last meal before a summary execution.

Draining the last of her drink, Mistress Viola set her tumbler down and got to her feet. Hands clasped tightly behind her back, she slowly paced back and forth before the fireplace.

"Property damage, assault and attempted murder. And Izzbelle Suyas cannot be punished for any of it. Do you see the dilemma here, boy?" she said, gazing into the electric flames.

Swallowing hard, Cobalt set his whiskey aside.

"I, um... I know what I did was reckless, and I'm willing to pay for it, but I'd like you to understand that what Izzbelle did was not her fault. She... She had some bad memories plaguing her, and she was suffering badly for it. I- I was only trying to help her..."

Nodding slowly, Viola turned swiftly on her heel and redirected her petrifying gaze back upon the frightened teacher.

"A noble sentiment."

Sitting back down, she folded her arms.

"Disappointment wasn't all I felt. I was also rather impressed," the Headmistress explained, leaning back.

"Y- You were...?"

"Despite your methods, you successfully faced Izzbelle Suyas - a known problem child - during one of her violent outbursts and subdued her. Alone. You do realise that nobody has managed to achieve such a thing since she enrolled, yes?"

"What do you mean?"

"Last year, I had her attend detention classes after school headed by a military instructor, the kind who used to train marines. She sent him packing with tears in his eyes after three weeks. She's the rare kind of troublemaker that poses an actual threat to safety and wellbeing of this school, and yet somehow she was quelled by the likes of you. No offence."

"None... taken...?"

Reaching into her pocket, the Headmistress produced a gilded cigarette case and clicked it open. Popping one into her mouth, she lit it with a flash of her lighter and crossed her legs.

"So, in a way, that has me reconsidering my initial apprehension regarding your employment. It's no secret that class 2-F is a blight on this school's spotless record, and I'll admit, I purposely assigned you as their core teacher in the hopes that you would resign out of frustration," she continued, blowing smoke rings into the air.

Cobalt visibly wilted at her words. To think that she had such little faith in him simply because of how he was as a student...

"But I was wrong about you. You've taken that class of troublemakers and have started to make them... almost bearable. That stunt out there with the Suyas girl proved that fact to me."

Clutching the cigarette between her teeth, she gave him a scrutinizing look.

"Ultimately, I called you here to tell you that I'm impressed by what you've done, and that I expect you to keep up a similar work ethic in the weeks to come. By hellfire's grace, we'll make respectable citizens of 2-F yet," she concluded, allowing a stream of smoke to slowly leak from the corner of her mouth.

The Incubus didn't really know what to think. On the one hand, it was disheartening to hear that Mistress Viola had placed so little faith in his ability as a teacher. But on the other, he felt encouraged that he was doing right by his students.

"Th- Thank you, miss. I- I promise, I'll do my best for them!" Cobalt cried with excitement, standing quickly to attention.

She smiled humourlessly in kind before nodding her head.

"Good boy. Oh, and another thing; I'll be taking the cost of repairing the dorms out of your pay."

"What?!"

"You're not questioning my judgement here, are you? You should be glad I'm not suing you for inciting what caused all the damage."

At once, what little pride Cobalt had felt eked away, leaving him standing limply in front of the Headmistress. Clearing his throat, he just nodded meekly. It was probably best not to argue.

"Um... no, miss, not at all..."

"Good. Now go," Viola sighed, making a shooing motion with her hand.

Swallowing hard, Cobalt gave what he hoped was a respectful nod before turning on his heel and walking out of the Headmistress' office. He continued on in silence down the stairwell, until he reached the floor, whereupon the Incubus collapsed against the wall, his legs feeling as though had liquefied from the inside out. Even after four years on Earth, Mistress Viola still had a paralysing effect on him.

"You alright there, sir?" spoke a familiar voice, prompting him to look at the two students loitering at the other side of the hall.

Whitney leaned against a windowsill, idly chewing a lollipop stick while Jelli stood close by, trying to hide the fact that she was eating three lollipops at the same time. She blushed and turned away upon noticing his gaze.

"Me? I- I'm fine, never better... what are you two doing here?" Cobalt asked, steadying himself.

Grinning, the Nymph nodded her electric-blue head at Jelli.

"She was worried about you, so I said I'd bring her to see if you survived the Headmistress," she answered with a laugh.

"Wh- Whitney, y- you said you wouldn't tell!" Jelli whined in response, much to her new friend's amusement.

Cobalt sighed, but could do little to stop himself from smiling. Despite a rough beginning, he was beginning to feel more and more at home in the shoes of a B.I.D. teacher, and the fact that he was improving the lives of his students made him feel as though all the trouble he had been through was worth it in the end. With a sigh, the Incubus tucked his satchel beneath his arm and nodded at the two girls.

"Come on, then. Time for Science."

8