Chapter 65 – Pharmine’s Folly: Part 4
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The leap through dimensions was not one taken lightly. Normally, people were instructed to close their eyes, control their breathing and briefly empty their minds of all thoughts before they're catapulted through the tear between worlds in order to stave off the worst of Jump sickness. When all the precautions were taken, the worst one could expect to suffer is some minor nausea or headaches.

Unfortunately, Stefan didn't have time to take the requisite precautions.

After the brief-yet-eternal sensation of hurtling between worlds subsided, the Fallen toppled to his knees and began to violently throw up on the floor. All around him, the other travellers cried out and recoiled, desperate to get as far away from the puking man as possible. Though his vision was still spinning from the Jump, Stefan wiped his mouth and took in his surroundings. He was standing in a Jump chamber, but this one had a sleek metal floor and more modern surroundings.

He recognised it as the Brimstone Jump Terminal.

"Sir! Are you okay?!" called one of the technicians from the control room, stepping out into the main chamber.

Staggering to his feet, the Fallen gestured for him to stay back.

"I'm fine!" he hissed, shaking his head and staggering towards the exit.

He felt absolutely vile; his head was throbbing, his stomach was roiling and he could still feel blood leaking from his ears. As Stefan forced himself on through customs and out into the lobby, everyone else in the terminal stared at him with wide eyes, fascinated by the bedraggled man in their midst yet unwilling to approach him.

Ignoring the concerned questioning of the security guard by the door, the Fallen shoved the door open and staggered outside.

Hell. How long had it been since he had been here...? It was almost disconcerting to see the red sky above and the multicoloured denizens all around. Even the light shone differently here; unnoticeable to most demons, but having lived most of his life on Earth, it made Stefan slightly uncomfortable. The sunlight refracted into the puddles of rainwater on the road, dying them a strange hue of crimson.

Stefan shook his head. No, he didn't have time for this. He needed to get to the hospital.

Marching down the front steps of the Jump Terminal, he leaned against the window of a nearby taxi and frantically rapped his knuckles against it. Inside, the taxi driver gave him a concerned look and slowly rolled it down.

"Can I help you?" asked the Glutton behind the wheel, looking Stefan up and down.

"Hospital. Now," gasped the Fallen, scarcely able to catch his breath.

The driver nodded and opened the door.

"Aye, you look like you need it. Hop in."

Getting into the backseat, he took a moment to breathe as the car began to make its way down the street. Try as he might, though, Stefan just couldn't calm his rampant heartbeat. He swallowed hard and instead pulled out his phone. Dialling the caller's number, he leaned against the door and held the phone to his ear.

"Judging by the call quality, I take it you've made the Jump?" spoke the voice.

True to his words, it was much clearer now. He sounded like a young man, with a slight British accent, much to Stefan's confusion.

"Where's Jelli?" he asked in a low tone, glancing at the driver through the mirror.

"She's been put in a room on the third floor. Fifth on the right down the west corridor once you step out of the main elevator."

"If you know her so well, then why won't you put her on?" hissed the Fallen, glancing out the window as Brimstone went by in a blur.

"I told you that's not within my power."

Stefan bared his teeth, but before he could let the caller have it, he heard something in the background. A heart monitor.

"You... You're in the hospital too."

For a moment, the caller didn't respond. He heard him take a few breaths before he spoke again.

"Go see your sister, Stefan. Make the right choice."

The call ended with a beep.

"Goddammit..."

"I, uh... I take it you're from Earth, eh lad?" spoke the taxi driver, glancing at Stefan through the mirror.

"Yes, what of it?" the Fallen snapped.

"Aye, well... Just be careful saying that kinda thing. Some old timers don't like the G word, if you know what I'm saying."

Of course. In all the confusion, he had forgotten how demons felt about the idea of a higher power, especially amongst the older generations.

"I'm sorry, just... How far are we? I really need to get to the hospital."

"It's just up here."

Spotting the towering form of the hospital at the end of the street, Stefan dipped his hand into his pocket, only to find it empty.

"Shit..." he breathed, remembering how he had thrown his wallet at the Jump Terminal security guards back in the Paris catacombs.

As if he was psychic, the taxi driver took a deep breath and pulled in to the side of the road.

"Forget about the fare, lad. I can tell its an emergency," spoke the Glutton, opening the door.

Stefan swallowed hard.

"Um... Thanks. I'll pay you when I can, I swear.

"Aye lad. Just get in there before you pass out."

Nodding, the Fallen stepped outside and bolted towards the hospital.

 

-----

 

Stefan stood outside the door, unable to open it. The blinds had been drawn across the window looking into the hospital room, and that didn't bode well, he just knew it. A lot of passing nurses and doctors asked him if he was okay, but he was deaf to their words.

What if she was already gone?

What if he was too late?

What if Jelli had died thinking her stepbrother wanted nothing to do with her?

That just... That wasn't true...

Swallowing hard, he depressed the door handle and slowly nudged it open.

The bed was completely empty, the machines lying dormant. One of the windows was open, allowing the wind to gust into the room, ruffling the hair of the woman sitting in a chair by the bed. She was a Glutton, and she was staring at something on her phone.

Stefan's eyes widened.

"Melanie?" he said in a small voice, stepping inside.

She looked up, her eyes wide and teary.

"S- Stefan...?"

Walking towards the bed, the Fallen laid a hand on the mattress, feeling the depression in the centre, like someone had been lying in it just until recently.

"I'm too late, aren't I...?"

The pit of his stomach dropped down into his shoes as a hand of ice clasped around his heart. His face didn't change, but his vision blurred as unshed tears filled his eyes. As he dropped to his knees, Melanie got out of her chair.

"Stefan, what's wrong?! Oh my- you're bleeding!" she gasped, lightly reaching for the dried blood on the side of his head.

He reached out and pulled the Glutton into a hug, desperate for something - someone - to hold as grief began to overwhelm him.

"I'm too late... I'm sorry... I'm so fucking sorry...!" he gasped in German, holding his stepmother close.

She didn't pull back, instead wrapping her arms around the Fallen as he began to cry.

"No, no, it's okay sweetie. It's okay."

"It's not! The things I said...! And now she's...!"

Melanie took a deep breath and hugged him tighter.

"Shh... You're here now... It's okay..."

Wiping his eyes, Stefan pulled back and arduously climbed back to his feet.

"Wh- Where's Mum?" I- I mean, where's Mum?" he asked, wiping his eyes.

Wordlessly, she pointed at the doorway. He sniffled and looked behind him.

There were two people standing there, each holding the other's hand. One of them was his mother, Sheila, clutching a cardboard cupholder laden with coffee cups in her free hand. The other was a short, dumpy Glutton girl, clad in a hospital gown. Her mousey-brown hair was done up in a pair of braids, and her large brown eyes were staring directly at him.

Letting go of her Fallen stepmother's hand, Adeline Pharmine took a step forward.

"S- Stefan? Is that you?" she asked in a small voice.

He rushed towards her so hard that she was almost swept clean off her feet. Tears leaked from the corners of Stefan's eyes as he hugged his stepsister tight, his wings wrapping around the both of him.

"Oh fuck... you're alive! I- I thought you were gonna...!"

In kind, she began to cry.

"Stefan... I- I missed you..."

"I missed you too...! I'm so sorry...! I'm so fucking sorry...!

Kneeling down next to her children, Sheila gently teased them apart and looked deep into her son's eyes.

"Stefan, I... I thought you didn't want anything to do with us?" she said in a choked-up voice.

He shook his head.

"I- I thought I didn't. But when he told me that Jelli was dying, I... I just..."

His mother raised and eyebrow.

"Dying? No, she's just fine, Stefan. A little hypothermic, but nothing some bedrest couldn't fix. Who said she was dying?" she asked in a concerned tone.

His eyes widened.

"But he-"

"Who, Stefan?"

Standing back up, the Fallen pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialled the mysterious caller's number. Before he could hold it to his ear, however, he could hear another phone ringing out in the hallway. Heart thumping, he tossed his mobile down onto the bed and bolted out of the room. He ran down a hall and turned a corner, almost knocking over an oncoming nurse.

There was a phone mounted on the wall, loudly ringing. There was no-one nearby.

"What the...?"

As the ringing stopped, he heard footsteps behind him.

"Um, S- Stefan...?"

He turned around to see Jelli standing there, tears still dripping down her cheeks as nervously fidgeted with her hospital bracelet, her tail swishing behind her.

"A- Are you going to stay for the Spring Festival...?" she asked, gazing up at him with her large, gooey eyes.

Swallowing hard, he reached for the phone and declined the call. With a deep breath, Stefan reached down and hugged his sister.

"I... Yeah. I, uh... I've got a lot of catching up to do," he sighed, taking her hand.

They began to make their way back to the hospital room, but not before Stefan glanced back at the phone on the wall.

Whoever that was, was this his goal all along? To bring the Blackwell-Pharmines back together? To get Stefan to see the error of his ways?

The Fallen shook his head.

He couldn't possibly know. But what he did know was that he had a lot of things to talk about with his mothers.

2