Chapter 2: Sitting on a pedestal
342 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We're done with the backstory now!... Is what I'd like to say. Technically, we are, but now I need to do an information dump on you, since you have no idea what the magic system is. Magic in this world is split into two categories. Physical and status effects. Physical magic requires you to tell it exactly what to do. An example of a spell would be "create a sphere of oil in front of my hand, light it on fire, and accelerate it away from me with 100 newtons of force." Because the spells are so long, people usually just write them down and cast from that instead of saying them.1Author speaking: I'll elaborate on the magic system in depth later, but for now I want to get into the actual story as fast as possible.

Status magic inflicts status effects upon the target. You just have to specify the target and say what status effect you want to give them. This is used for healing people, cursing people, making people stronger, and other things. Statuses on objects are called enchantments instead. There's also race statuses. Dragons have a status that makes it possible for them to fly despite their wings. Fairies2Fairies are tiny in this world. have a status that makes them intelligent despite the size of their brains. Demons have a status that makes them immortal. Demons can be sealed in books with a special status.

Now for the ultimate question: what can I do now that I'm sealed in a book? Well, I have a new physical magic spell available to me. "Create ink." It allows me to create ink anywhere on my pages. I can also destroy ink on my pages. I can always tell what's written on my pages. Exciting, I know. I'm roughly the size of a big textbook. Leather cover, 600 pages, 10 inches by 7. Roughly 3 pounds. 

Remember how I said that only magical items can be used for sealing demons? This book is no exception. Any magic written in it will cost half as much to cast. Enchantments that increase mana efficiency are usually only possessed by gods.3I'll go into god lore later :) Humans can't make enchanted things like that. Not to say this book doesn't have enchantments. Before putting me inside it, they enchanted it with all sorts of shit to make it basically indestructible. It can also repair itself if it does somehow end up damaged. The first 200 pages have spells written on them, and if I try to erase them, they come back. The cover is blank, and I can't write on it.

Why would they do that? Because if the book is destroyed, I'll be released from it. I bet you're wondering "Why can't you just cast the spells written inside of you?" and that's a good question. I can, actually. The problem is that my mana capacity is 3, and regenerates at 6 per hour. That's enough to cast most of these spells, but they'll be super small or last for a super short duration. For reference, before, my mana capacity was roughly 30,000 and regenerated at 60,000 per hour. Each one of the 30 mages who sealed me here probably had around 1500.

What can I do with 3 mana? I can do a lot of things! I can make a fireball the size of a bead. I can turn my pages. I could levitate for 1/3 of a second4This means that using physical magic, each point of mana is worth roughly 1/10 of a newton. That is accounting for the fact that the book doubles his efficiency. if I wanted to. Those are.... absolute garbage. There is, however, one actually useful spell I can cast. Clairvoyance. Books don't exactly have eyes, so using magic to see is a must. Using clairvoyance, I can see for 2 seconds every half hour.

FINALLY, done with the information dump. We can actually get into the story now! Using clairvoyance, I determined a couple of things. I'm in a glass box on a pedestal. The room is lit by an enchanted lamp on the wall. I'm SURROUNDED by treasure. The absolute jackpot. We have magic swords, piles of gold, jewelry, valuables, everything a person could want.

But I'm getting distracted. I need to plot on how to get out of here! Here's the plan. I'll write the words "Please open this case and write on me." on one of my pages and leave myself open, so that when someone comes in, they'll talk to me and I can convince them to let me free! This.... might not work. But I don't exactly have a better plan.

Day 2

Operation "talk to me, please" is going smoothly. I have myself facing the door so I'd be impossible to miss if someone came in.

Day 3

No one has come in yet.

Day 4

No interesting updates.

Day 5

I'm incredibly bored. I've taken to counting the bricks in the walls.

Day 8

Still nothing. I don't remember the rules of solitaire, so I've made up my own rules and play it by drawing the cards on my pages.

Day 16

.....

Day 21

I checked with clairvoyance, and things have been moved! Somebody came in between now and the last time I used clairvoyance, which was an hour ago. It appears one of the gold piles is larger than before, and there's a new magic sword. They don't seem to have to have touched my case and they certainly didn't talk to me.

Day 26

Nothing has changed.

Day 3o

I think I need a new plan. Ok, I'll start shooting magic bolts at the glass whenever I have enough mana for them, and when it breaks I'll make my escape! 

Day 33

This glass is definitely enchanted. I've shot over a hundred bolts at it and it doesn't have a scratch.

Day 42

I've decided to take up writing. A fantastic choice, I know. To be honest, I'm just thinking up new spells that might be useful for killing people. I don't really have the mana to test them, so it's pretty pointless, but it's something to pass the time with. Also, more gold has been moved around. Someone came in at some point.

Day 53

"I'm beginning to contemplate my life choices. If I'd known how poorly you humans would take the whole eating you all thing, I'd have become a farmer and eaten cows instead. Actually, you should just let me out so I can do that! I promise I won't kill anybody." Is what I've written on the page I have facing the door. It's total bullshit, but I'm getting desperate.

Day 58

I've gotten good at drawing. 

Day 62

"Alright demon, let's talk." has been written below my plea for release. Finally, someone's talking to me!

12