Chapter 5 Meeting Properly
15 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5

Meeting Properly

The next day, sat on the sofa trying to concentrate on his work, blankly staring at his computer, William stood the moment the door to his bedroom slowly opened and Mathew’s small blond head poked cautiously out.

For the last day since Boss Leoni left, William had been flip flopping on how to greet Mathew, he was stuck between, play it cool and pretending none of it happened or keep calling Mathew ‘my love’ and play it off as a joke.

However what had really distracted William was the idea that Mathew would scream and run away the instant he saw him.

Now seeing Mathew looking round the room William froze, standing like a big intimidating statue.

As the smaller man’s eyes landed on the statue they went wide, resulting in them both just standing staring at each other from opposite sides of the room.

Slowly, trying to not spook the smaller man who was still hiding behind the door, William raised a hand and waved, “good morning, how are you feeling?”

There was no response as they continued to look at each other, William was encouraged that Mathew hadn’t run, “would you like a cup of tea?”

The little blond head bobbed up and down.

William moved towards the kitchen, “how do you take your tea? Milk? Sugar?”

Turning round William’s heart raced, Mathew was stood behind him following him into the kitchen, in his loose pj’s with bare feet.

“Mi...” Mathew’s voice came out horse he coughed to clear it, “Milk no sugar please.”

Putting the kettle on and giving the young man a glass of water, William busied him self getting cups and milk.

“Where am I?” asked the quiet voice behind him.

Gently putting the cup he was holding on the side, William turned to Mathew, “Ah I was wondering if you would remember, you had a really bad fever for the last couple of nights, you are at my flat above the second shot bar, you came here because you were having a bad time. Do you remember?”

With a nod tears welled in Mathew’s eyes, William’s heart hurt to see it, without thinking he reached out and stroked the little blond head.

The feel of the soft locks under his fingers brought him back to reality, then with a soaring heart William realised Mathew had not flinched or backed away from him.

Looking up at the tall man Mathew asked shyly, “Ermm, I’m sorry, but who are you?”

Pulling his hand back with a sad look he replied, “I’m William Foster, I don’t know if you have heard of me. I help people who want to leave their gang safely without betraying them.”

“I've heard of you, Rick was complaining about you, I guess that is why I came here.”

“I’m really glad you did come here, please don’t consider the alternative you were thinking of again.”

Shock was written across Mathew’s delicate face as he looked up at William.

“I won’t, I was just so shocked by Boss, I wasn’t thinking straight last night.” His tears were threatening to fall again.

“On that front, I have spoken to Boss Leoni, he knows you are here. Are you alright talking to him?”

“How do I face Boss?” The tears broke free and ran from Mathew’s eyes, he tried to scrub them away but they wouldn’t stop, “How could I be so stupid? I knew it wasn’t a normal type of business but, I mean,” he put his hands to his temples, utterly frustrated with himself, “Boss practically raised me since I was young, how did I not notice? I’m such an idiot!”

Going down on his knees so his head was a little lower than Mathew’s, William hugged him gently, “your not an idiot, you are just innocent.”

Strong thin arms, clung to William’s neck making him feel even more responsible for the man in his embrace. Hot tears rained down on his shoulder, in his ear he heard Mathew’s slightly muffled words, “thank you for taking me in, I didn’t know where else to go.”

Soothingly William whispered back, “you came to the right place.”

They hugged for a long while, with a sniff Mathew pulled back, “the kettle’s boiled.”

William smiled gently and made them both tea.

Sitting down in the living room one on each sofa, William got out his phone and called Boss Leoni. After one ring the phone was answered, Boss Leoni’s voice came through rushed.

“Is he up?”

“Yes he just woke up now.”

“Is he alright.”

“Confused but fine.”

“Can I talk to him?”

William had never heard Boss Leoni sound so worried.

To Mathew he said, “Boss Leoni would like to talk to you, are you up for it yet? It’s ok if your not ready.”

Moving over to sit next to William, Mathew took the proffered phone, with a cracking voice he managed to say, “Hello, Boss?”

Being sat right next to the small man, William heard Boss Leoni say in a forced happy voice, “Matty how are you doing?”

“I’m o...” Mathew’s voice got choked, he took a deep breath and tried again, “I’m OK.”

“Matty I’m sorry you found out like that, I should have told you years ago.”

Tears ran down Mathew’s face again, “I shou...” again his voice failed him, William put a comforting arm around him, Mathew turned and grabbed on to the big arm, “I should have known, I’m sorry I’m so dumb, but Boss I’m sorry I don’t think I can cope with the ki...” a huge sob escaped his control and it was a long moment before he could continue, “I can’t be responsible for you killing people.”

“Matty all those people were bad people, they stole from us. Do you want me to just let them get away with it?”

“No...”

Distracted by the phone call, Mathew moved deeper into William’s big arms, hugging him for comfort.

“I don’t know... But why did you have to murder them?” tears overwhelmed Mathew again and he dropped the phone in his lap, as sobs raked his body, he buried his head in William’s shoulder.

Picking up the phone William said, “I’m sorry Boss I don’t think he is ready yet. I’ll ring you tomorrow and we’ll try to find a solution to this, ok?”

The sad voice of Boss Leoni came over the phone, “thank you William, please look after him for me.”

The phone went dead before William could reply.

Holding Mathew in his arms, William gently stroked his back and head letting the smaller man cry for as long as he needed to.

3