Chapter 6 Getting Back To Work
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Getting Back To Work 

William cursed internally as his phone beeped, Mathew went instantly stiff and pulled back from his embrace.

Sniffing back his tears Mathew said, “I’m sorry, we have only just met and I’m all over you crying and ruining your shirt.”

“It’s fine, it’ll all wash out.”

Looking down at the phone Mathew asked, “do you need to answer that?”

The message was from Luke, ‘is your lover up yet? Has he signed the contract?’

William hastily hid the message and hoped that Mathew hadn’t seen the first part. “It’s my second in command Luke, he is checking you are OK, he was helping me look after you, and reminding me you need to sign a non disclosure contract.”

The look Mathew gave him was not one William understood until his little cheeks went bright red, “was it you who changed and bathed me?”

Shyly William replied, “Yes, when you finally came in to the bar you were drenched and half frozen so we had to warm you. Then yesterday Boss Leoni sent some of your clothes as none of mine fit you.”

The little blonde head dropped down and William held his breath.

“I’m sorry I’ve been such a bother to you.”

Breathing harder William stroked his soft blond hair, “you’re no bother, you were just hallucinating with your fever.”

Looking up, his bright green eyes gazing straight into William’s dark ones, Mathew asked, “I didn’t do anything embarrassing did I?”

William wondered how many years it had been since some one other than his men had held his gaze, and distractedly said, “not really embarrassing for you.”

As Mathew’s eyes went wide, William scolded him self, ‘why didn’t I just say no?’

“What did I do?”

The man next to him was so small and innocent, looking up at him with those beautiful eyes, completely undefended.

Not wanting to conceal things but also not wanting to add to Mathew’s burden by telling the whole truth, William thought what to say and what to leave out?

“You just called people by odd names.”

Mathew’s head dropped in embarrassment, muffled through his hands he asked, “what names did I call people?”

“You call Boss Leoni Dad and Luke Mum...” William blushed deep red and fervently hoped Mathew wouldn’t ask.

“What about you? What did I call you.”

Shifting uncomfortably William looked up at the ceiling and replied honestly, “you called me Guinevere and my love, and got upset if I didn’t call you my love in return.”

As he said love William’s heart thumped and he wondered, ‘what is wrong with me?’

With his head still down Mathew said, “I’m sorry, to make you say that to me.”

A strange sadness came into William’s heart, “that’s alright, I know it was just the fever talking.”

After a long moment of silent shame, Mathew’s head came up again, “I guess that is not so bad, did I do anything else?”

William froze and went bright red, as the image of Mathew running out of his room half dressed, popped into his head.

It was impossible to miss the reaction and Mathew said, “I did do something else didn’t I?”

Trying to play it off, William replied, “It was nothing really just the fever messing with you.”

The stern look on the little face in front of him made the embarrassed smile slide off William’s face.

“Please tell me so I can apologise properly.”

With a genuine smile William replied, “there is nothing to apologise for.”

“Then why are you blushing so much?”

“I’ve just never had anyone talk to me like you did, it was... nice.” William admitted to himself out loud.

Mathew’s eye brows shot up and William wanted the ground to open up and swallow him, as he thought, ‘why did I say that?’

While thinking what to say to rectify the situation William’s phone went again. It was another message from Luke, ‘Are you off doing hanky panky with your lover? Answer your phone!’

Using the distraction to organise his thoughts William replied, ‘All is good, I’ll get him to sign in a mo. Stop badgering me Mum.’

Good and finish that quote I need to send it to the client today.’

Putting his phone away, William looked up and saw Mathew watching him solemnly.

“Thank you for everything you did for me... my love.” Mathew buried his red head in the sofa.

William’s heart shook, he realised with a start, he liked this cute young man.

“Your welcome, I would do anything for you my love.” He replied sincerely.

William realised what he had said just before Mathew’s face came out of the sofa, he changed his look from one of doting affection to joking as best he could.

Mathew stared at him, then kneeling up playfully hit him on the arm bursting into laughter.

With a grin William stroked his arm pretending it hurt.

As he moved back Mathew wobbled and put his hand to his head.

William held his hips steading him, “are you ok? Maybe you should go sleep more.”

“I think you are right, but don’t I need to sign something first?” with a small chuckle he added, “I don’t want to anger Mum.”

Grinning from relief and humour William grabbed the contract Luke had prepared and handed it to the smaller man, who sat diligently reading it. While William finally got on with his work.

About half an hour later William had finished the quote and was about to send it to Luke. When Mathew said, “you have got the wrong number there.”

Placing his hand on William’s knee, Mathew leaned over his muscular leg and pointed at the screen.

Trying to concentrate on the computer and not the delicate hand on his leg, William altered the number, “thank you, is the rest of it right? I’m a little tired today.”

“The rest of the calculations are correct but I don’t know if the raw data figures are.” With a start Mathew added, “I’m so sorry I stole your bed, you must be shattered.” Then blushing he added teasingly, “unless we shared your big bed my love?”

William went completely rigid and blushed bright red down to his neck as he remembered Mathew inviting him into his bed.

Blinking Mathew asked nervously, “we didn’t did we?”

Waving his hands William replied, “no, no, no I slept out here on the sofa.”

With a big relieved sigh, that made William’s heart sink, Mathew looked at the sofa and then at the tall man next to him and said, “how did you fit?”

William hadn’t fitted at all, “It was fine.”

Before either of them could say anything else Mathew’s stomach growled, William turned, “I’m so sorry, I completely forgot to feed you, I’m a terrible host.”

Smiling Mathew said, “It’s fine, I’ve invaded your home and stole your bed, I don’t need you to feed me too, the least I can do is cook you some lunch.”

The idea of Mathew in a little pinny cooking him lunch excited William no end. However the young man was just getting over a fever.

Putting his big hand on Mathew’s little leg, William said, “you can cook tomorrow, today I’m still looking after you. Would you like an omelette? I know we have ingredients for that.”

“That would be great, thank you.”

William was surprised as Mathew followed him into the kitchen and sat at the kitchen table watching him cook lunch. The large kitchen had never felt this homely.

When William presented him with a ham and cheese omelette Mathew smiled happily, “thank you this looks wonderful.”

They ate in a comfortable silence, William stealing glances at the man in front of him.

His belly satisfied Mathew’s eyes began to droop.

“Lets get you back to bed.”

Sleepily Mathew replied, “no I need to digest, can’t I sit with you for a while?”

“Sure, lets go back to the living room.”

Grabbing Mathew some water, William sat back on the sofa and to his delight Mathew sat right next to him again.

“Don’t mind me you can get back on with your work.”

Having sent the quote, William pulled up his next job and started organising the schedule for their next big building work.

With in ten minutes he felt Mathew’s small head lean on his shoulder and five minutes later he was lightly snoring.

Torn between putting him in the bed so he would be more comfortable and wanting to be able to see Mathew’s cute sleeping face, William decided on the bed option when Mathew started to shiver. However as he went to pick the smaller man up, he mumbled in his sleep and held on to William.

Pulling his jumper over his head William draped it over Mathew, who, to his joy, snuggled into his side.

2