Chapter 8 A Smile From a Stranger
21 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8
A Smile From a Stranger

Getting into his bedroom William’s heart pounded, he felt like there were butterflies in his stomach.
It didn’t seem to matter how much he told himself to ‘calm down it was only a simple touch.’ The image of Mathew’s beautiful green eyes looking at him and telling him not to be ashamed kept coming back the entire time he showered.
Smiling like a fool, William dressed in a white shirt, with dark blue tie and fitted black suit.
Stepping to the door he finally managed to calm his expression and walked out into the living room.
Luke and Mathew were sat on the two sofas talking while drinking coffee, both looked up at the sound of him entering.
Mathew’s eyes went wide, “wow you clean up well.”
William’s ears went red and he smiled shyly, “thank you, I have a meeting this morning.”
The two men on the sofas were looking at him strangely, “do either of you want me to pick anything up while I’m out?”
The two shook their heads slightly slack jawed.
Looking at his watch William saw he needed to get going, “I’ll be back about lunch time, if you think of anything you need send me a message, see you later.”
Confused that the pair was still saying nothing, he grabbed his brief case and strode to the elevator.
As the doors were closing, William thought he heard Mathew say, “does he often smile that way?”
And saw Luke shake his head.

The meeting went well, Tonten signed the contract employing Second Shot construction to build their next factory, which would keep William’s group busy for the next 6 months if all went smoothly.
Driving back he stopped at a bakery. Standing in the cue patiently waiting, William wondered what to order. He already knew Luke would want a bacon turn over, but what would be best for Mathew?
The lady behind the counter paled slightly as she saw him, William was used to this reaction, everyone in the cue was already standing way back from him.
“Please can I have two bacon turn overs, a steak pasty, a cheese and onion pasty, a Chelsea bun and a slice of lemon drizzle cake.”
The lady hurried off to get his order, stood thinking about the happy look he would get from Mathew, William smiled to himself.
Bringing the food the lady gasped, “would you like a bag for all of that?”
Coming back to his senses William was shocked to see the lady smiling at him, “yes please.”
In a daze William paid and left, some one he didn’t know had genuinely smiled at him.

Getting into the apartment William called, “I’m back and I bring food.”
Mathew’s head popped up from the sofa, “welcome home.”
William’s heart skipped a beat and he smiled dumbly, “I hope you like it, I got pasties, turnovers and cake.”
Licking his lips Mathew met William on the way to the kitchen, “sounds great, how did your meeting go?”
“It was good, we got the contract.”
“Is it a good contract?”
“Yes it is a good one for the company, I’ll need to check with our accountant but I think it will keep us afloat till at least the end of the year.”
Mathew’s brows shot up then knitted, “if you don’t mind me asking, which accountants do you use? Do you think they would be interested in hiring someone with no provable experience?”
“We use Kline, Welland and Smyth, I have no idea on their hiring policy, but I know I want to work with you if possible.”
Putting the food on the kitchen table, William turned to get plates trying to hide his blush at the idea of working closely with Mathew.
A gentle hand touched William’s back, looking round he saw Mathew’s wide eyes shining up at him, “you would really give me a job?”
Trying to keep his voice steady William replied, “of course, you already helped me with my quote, I have a ton more work I could give you that would be a huge help.”
Seeing Mathew’s eyes tear up again William hastily said, “how about after lunch you come with me to my office and you can help me with some bits and pieces? See if you even want to work with me.”
“That would be great Boss.”
William’s heart hurt at the word ‘Boss’ and his eyes turned slightly sad.
“Do you not like being called Boss?”
Trying to keep his voice light and joking William replied, “I guess I just got used to you calling me differently.”
The whole of Mathew’s head went bright red, “I...I’m... not sure that... I.”
“It’s ok my love you can call me Boss.” William said teasingly, his insides a flutter.
Mathew’s mouth dropped, “how can you say that so smoothly?” turning away he said with a pout, “I guess you have had lots of girlfriends to practise saying such things to.”
A burst of rich laughter brought Mathew’s head back round, “I’ve never had a lover.” Said William as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
“What?! How can that be possible? Your so kind and handsome, you should have hoards of women after you.”
William’s brows shot up, and he shyly asked, “you think I’m handsome?”
The smile that spread across Mathew’s face making it soften, was completely foreign to William. He watched intently as Mathew placed a hand on his chest and said, “you are very handsome William.”
It took all of William’s restraint to not grab the young man into his arms and never let him go.
Instead he took the hand on his chest in both of his own, hoping Mathew hadn’t felt his heart race.
“That’s very kind of you to say, but I know by the scared looks I get, that handsome is not the thing people think when they see me.”
With a pout Mathew persisted, “those people are wrong. You are handsome.”
“Just you thinking so is enough for me.” Replied William looking at the delicate hand he held. With a start he dropped Mathew’s hand and said, “shall we have lunch? Do you know where Luke is?”
On cue Luke walked into the kitchen, “I thought I smelt bacon. Thanks buddy.”
Grabbing a plate he put a turn over on it and walked out to the living room.

3