Chapter 9 William’s Office
17 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9
William’s Office

After a happy lunch of chatting and laughing. William prepared to take Mathew down to his office, but Luke pulled the young man to the side first. After a little chat Mathew came back and they got in the lift down to the first floor above the bar.
Curiosity was running rampant through William’s mind, what had Luke said? But he had no idea how to bring it up.
The whole first floor was a big open plan work space with 10 well spaced out desks in it, at the far end there was an office with glass windows and door, each with a blind. All of the workers looked up as the lift door dinged, when they saw William walk out they all busied them selves in their work.
A stout man with greying hair walked up to William then walked with him and Mathew towards the office, he smiled gently at Mathew then said to William, “Boss how was the meeting?”
“Good, they signed the contract.”
“Did we get everything we wanted?”
“We have to complete by the 12th which I would have liked to of stretched till the 24th but that is doable.” Stated William.
“Please send everything over to me.”
“Thanks I’ll leave everything to you Peter.” With the meeting discussed William said, “Peter I would like to introduce you to Mathew, he will hopefully be working with us as our accountant.”
Peter’s brows shot up and grinning he took Mathew’s hand, shaking it enthusiastically he said, “It is an absolute pleasure to meet you, I’m Peter Barnes, I’m Second Shot’s Lawyer. When the police come sniffing round don’t say anything without talking to me first.”
Mathew nodded at the lawer and took his hand back, “nice to meet you too, I’ll definitely take your advice.”
“Will you be joining us for celebratory drinks later?”
“As long as it’s alright with Boss Foster and Boss Leoni, I would love to come for drinks.”
William smiled at Mathew adoringly and Peter stopped in his tracks.
Looking back William was surprised to see the startled look on Peter’s face.
“You alright Peter?”
Regaining his composure Peter replied, “Sure Boss, please send me the documents and I’ll sort it. And see you later for drinks.”
“If you get everything sorted, first drinks on me.”
“If I get everything sorted; first five drinks are on you.” With a laugh Peter went back to his desk.
Opening the glass door to his office, William held it for Mathew.
It was a small room with little decoration and no reflective surfaces. At the end of the room there was a large dark wooden desk with a green leather top and a matching green leather swivel chair, on the desk was a computer. Round the edge of the room there were many filing cabinets, on the other side of the desk were another three chairs.
Pointing to a chair William sat down behind the desk, “Please take a seat.”
Mathew sat with an odd look on his face.
Worried he had done something wrong William asked, “is everything ok?”
“It’s fine, it’s just like Luke said, you’re really different out side your apartment.”
“How so?”
“Your stoic.”
Not sure how to take this description, William asked, “Is that a good thing or bad thing?”
“Neither it’s just different. What can I do to help?”
“First we need to talk to Boss Leoni, do you think you are ready to meet him?”
Paling slightly Mathew nodded his head, “I can’t keep hiding.”
“How about we set a meeting for tomorrow afternoon?”
“OK I should be able to do that. Do you think Rick will be there?”
“I’m not sure, do you want him to be there?” William didn’t know why but he held his breath.
“No! I don’t want Rick there, he scared me even before I knew he was a murderer.”
Letting the breath out William said, “then we can request it is just Boss Leoni and his body guards.”
“Do you think he will agree to that?”
“He might do, just to be able to mock me.” In answer to Mathew’s quizzical look William said, “it was just Boss Leoni and his body guards, last time when you called me Guinevere.”
Mathew’s ears went bright red again and he dropped his eyes, “I’m sorry about that.”
With an adoring smile he failed to cover, William said, “there is no need to be sorry, but I am curious, if I’m Guinevere does that make you king Arthur or sir Lancelot?”
Eye’s bulging Mathew went rigid, “Eeeerrrrrr, I don’t remember.”
William couldn’t help but laugh at the younger man’s expression of horrified embarrassment, “Sorry I’ll not tease you anymore.” He was surprised to see a look of slight disappointment, so added, “my love.”
Mathew laughed brightly, giving William mixed emotions.
Getting up William closed the blinds around his office, not wanting anyone to see if Mathew’s emotions overwhelmed him again.
Once sat again, William called Boss Leoni, putting it on speakerphone. This time it rang for a more normal 3 rings.
“What time do you call this?!” was Boss Leoni’s opening remark.
His voice going stern William replied, “I had work and Mathew was getting himself ready, I can phone back tomorrow if you want?”
“Don’t you dare! What did Matty say? Is he going to come back?”
“Hi Boss, I’m sorry but I don’t think I’m strong enough.”
There was a huge sigh on the other side of the phone then Boss Leoni said in a resigned voice, “I understand, but you do know by choosing this I’m going to have to be harsh on you? There are already calls on this side for me to put a hit on you.”
Mathew paled and William hastily said, “there is no need for that, we have proven that we can do this peacefully in the past.”
Anger filled Boss Leoni’s voice, “but that wasn’t an accountant!” then instantly his voice turned sad, “or someone I treated as my own son.”
The first tear ran down Mathew’s cheek and his voice shook as he said, “Boss does this mean I can never see you again?”
There was silence on the other side of the phone for a long moment, “I don’t know about the future, it depends how this goes. The first thing though is that you have to come back to work for at least the next two months, that is non negotiable.”
A slight shiver ran through Mathew’s frame, but taking a deep breath he said, “OK, but can I take the rest of the day please?”
“Of course just make sure you’re here at 8 tomorrow.”
William asked, “not that I don’t trust you Boss, but what assurances do we have that you won’t just make Mathew disappear?”
“That’s easy, as a show of good faith, you William are coming with him.”
Mathew instantly responded, “he can’t do that! I can’t put another person in danger. Please Boss can’t I just come alone?”
Both men said sternly, “No!”
Mathew looked up into William’s worried eyes and smiled sadly.
William gave him a reassuring smile in reply and said, “I would of sent one of my men to look after you anyway, and I would never ask them to do something I wouldn’t do myself. You know the drill Boss, if anything happens to me, my men will release all the information they have on you, and take revenge as their consciences allow.”
“Understood William, I’ll keep my men under control.”
With more tears running down his cheeks Mathew said, “Boss please no more killing people based on my work.”
Boss Leoni’s voice softened a little, “I don’t think you would like the alternative, it’s normally torture, you can ask William which he thinks is kinder.”
Seeing the look of shock on Mathew’s face, without thinking William said defensively, “I was not tortured because I stole! It was to prove I was strong enough to keep all the secrets of my men.”
Hearing his own words William blanched, he never spoke of what happened.
Mathew walked round the desk and gently hugged the bigger man for mutual comfort.
His heart racing William hugged him back and said, “we’ll be there tomorrow at 8.”
Sadness in his voice Boss Leoni replied, “OK, see you tomorrow Matty.”
“Bye Boss.”
Boss Leoni hung up.
William looked up at the man holding him around the shoulders, who’s waist he held and felt better. Mathew squeezed him a little tighter to his chest and put his chin on top of William’s head. With his ear pushed against the younger man’s chest, William could hear Mathew’s heart was racing, he wished it was racing for him, but knew it was due to fear of what would happen.
“It’s OK I’ll protect you.”
“But who will protect you? I’m too weak.” Came Mathew’s sad voice from above.
Gently William tried to look up but Mathew didn’t let his head go, “you’re not weak, it took a lot of bravery to do what you did.” Tears landed in William’s soft brown hair and he stroked Mathew’s back comfortingly, “it will be OK, you’ll get through this.”
The head above him nodded slowly, but the tears didn’t stop.
“Do you want to head back up stairs? I have a couple of bits to finish here, or you can stay if you like.”
The thin arms tightened again around William’s shoulders.
Shifting round William picked Mathew up and sat him across his lap. In his shock Mathew released his arms and blushing bright red down to his neck, he looked up at William, “What are you doing?”
Trying to keep his voice steady William replied, “I need comforting, but I also need to finish my work, this is the best of both.”
With a little sad chuckle Mathew snuggled into William’s broad chest.
Trying desperately to think only about his work, William opened up his emails.
Every time he had to read anything William would absentmindedly hug the small man in his lap.

3