003 A feast for Demons
1.9k 5 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
MC's character will be quite mellow in the first few chapters. He'll start to show his "dark side" when he enters the human world.

Following the rite, a feast was thrown and all the Demons were invited, more like their presence was mandatory as this was the celebration of their prince. They gathered at a vast rocky plain with a hillock in the middle of the plain. Atop the hillock was the table and seat of the Demon Queen and the Demon Prince. Unlike the Demons below the hillock, the dishes served to the Demon Queen and the Demon Prince were vastly different from the ones they were eating below. There was more effort put into the display and the taste of the dishes. Every dish looked exotic and queer but they were all delectable and palatable. Though they didn’t look like any dish Augrun knew from Earth, some of the dishes did taste familiar. Nevertheless, these dishes were infinitely better than the frozen food and canned food he had normally for his meals.

From this elevation and how spread out the Demons were in this feast, Augrun could finally see just how many Demons there were. The gathering was so large than it was than what a single sight of his could encompass. There had to be at least ten thousand Demons in this feast alone. Of course, this wasn’t truly all the Demons in this world. There were around six million Demons in the Abyss Valley alone and there were other places out there in the world that were inhabited by Demons. There were a total of four Demon Monarchs in this world. The Demon Queen, Nephilia, was one of the four. Each Demon Monarchs ruled over each corner of the world, north, east, south, and west. The Abyss Valley was in the west. 

“Look at you, Augrun,” the Demon Queen squealed in delight, who had just finished her meal and was now washing it down with a glass of red wine. “So much curiosity brimming in your gaze. Are you that curious about what else there is to know?”

“I am, mother,” Augrun answered truthfully as he stared out into the distance, skimming the horizon with his gaze. He truly couldn’t wait to see what else this world had to offer. From what he knew about this world with the memories he was imparted, there was a fully functioning world aside from the worlds of Demons, human nations and the such. Scheming bastards, oppressive tyrants, and the such did exist in this world but Augrun was perturbed. Since he was a prince, a Demon Prince, and uninhibited by the limits of a human or the absence of magic, he reckoned there were so many things he could do in this world without facing the proper consequences. He longer had to answer to any pompous or obnoxious clients. He was free.

“That’s really strange. I don’t remember ever being curious about the world before. Just who do you take after, I wonder?” Her words were dire but her tone was completely frivolous.

“I may be your son but I still am my own person, mother.”

“Perhaps, Augrun.” She tittered. “Or perhaps it’s the otherworldly side of the old you.”

Augrun widened his eyes and snapped his gaze to the Demon Queen. “Y-you knew?” he stammered.

The Demon Queen did not look vexed or enraged. She was still smiling her warm jubilant smile. “Of course, I do, silly son of mine. I’m the one who made it happen.”

Augrun was unsure of how to respond to that. He wasn’t sure what kind of reaction he expected from the Demon Queen but it sure as hell wasn’t this. His gaze wandered to the maids and the servants around them. Their expressions varied but none of them looked entirely surprised or shocked.

“They knew about this too, Augrun,” she said. “They helped with the process after all. In fact, quite a few of the Demons below knew about this too. They all had a hand in this.“

“Y-you’re not angry…?”

“Why would I be?” she shrugged. “I wanted this. I chose this and I’m not planning to regret my actions. You are my son and as to who you were, I do not care.”

“But you should, mother. What if I was someone psychotic, deranged, feral?”

“I don’t see a problem with that. I will love you all the same.”

Augrun flinched at the queen’s response. “What if I was someone who would kill his own mother just for the pettiest and the most nonsensical reasons?”

“Only if you actually managed to kill me, which is not likely to happen considering the gap in our abilities and strength.” She was sitting across from Augrun but in a blink of an eye, she was beside him. Her hands cupped his cheeks. “But by chance that you actually do succeed in doing so, it still doesn’t change a thing. You are my son, Augrun. I would rather die than to kill my own child.”

Though it was for a brief second, Augrun saw the eye-gaping reaction of the maids and the servants.

“What kind of mother would kill her own child?”

Augrun had a ton of answers for that question but he knew it was rhetorical. “So you know nothing about who or what I was?”

“Like I said, it doesn't matter. What matters is who you are now, my son, the Prince. Understood?”

Augrun smiled and nodded. “Understood, mother.”

“That’s my boy.” And she gave Augrun a small peck on the cheek. “Now, is there anything else you would like to ask?”

Augrun hung his head sideways in contemplation. He couldn’t think of anything to say. There were so many things he wanted to do but he just didn’t know where to start. In the end, he went with a question as the answer. “What should I be doing as the Prince anyway?”

“Whatever you want, Augrun.”

That was definitely not the answer he was expecting. “What about the war?” he asked. One of the most conspicuous memories among the ones he received was the ongoing war between the Demons and the humans. It was a war that had lasted for hundreds of years and if the past history was taken into account, the war had lasted for a total of two thousand years. In spite of the severity, the war was but a farce, for the Demons at least. The human’s aim was to eradicate the existence of Demons but the Demons’ aim was simply population control of the humans as they had the highest population in this world compared to all other sapients lifeforms at a ratio of around two to one with one being the other sapient races including Demons. If the Demons wished, they could instantly overwhelm the humans in the war but humans had proven themselves to be extremely useful and resourceful. It would be a shame to cull an easily exploitable race where the Demons could get free labour. The humans were also creative in their endeavours and Demons had built their civilisations based on a foundation that was born out of human influence.

The war was ongoing and the Demon Queen was here, throwing a feast for her newly-born son. This did not mean that the Demon Queen had abandoned her post without a regent. The Demon Queen had three generals and various other adjutants. Before Augrun’s birth, the three generals were the second-in-power individuals in the Demon hierarchy but now they were the third. The generals and the adjutants weren’t present for the Prince’s birth because they were busy at war with the humans. Needless to say, the generals and the adjutants had wanted to be at the Prince’s birth but suddenly leaving the battlefield would just raise undue suspicions. In the end, only the Demon Queen, the mother of the Prince, was present at the Prince’s birth out of all the other prominent figures.

The queen giggled. “You have only just been born, Augrun. I appreciate your eagerness to help but the war can wait. It isn’t going anywhere, ever. The humans just love this war. It allows them to commit all sorts of atrocities in the name of the greater good for this war.”

Augrun felt a little exasperated upon hearing that. Humans truly don’t change no matter which world it is but at least without the internet and mass media, their machinations wouldn’t be so profound and widespread.

“Until the time comes, just enjoy this new life of yours, Augrun.”

“Any idea as to where to start?”

“Go out there and see the world for yourself. It’s what I will do if I’m in a world that’s completely different from the one I know.”

“I was hoping for a more specific answer. Which place should I start with?”

“Rosvid City, the capital of the Rosvid Kingdom.”

“Why there?”

“A place that is rampant with discrimination, corruption, and hypocrisy. You’ll see a lot of enslavements of other races. It’s a cesspit of filth. You want to know the world, you start from the lowest.”

It sounded just like the place he grew up in when he was Damien. It was largely due to the influence of his birthplace that he became a gun-for-hire. And he couldn’t wait to go to this Rosvid City. Though he had wished to distance himself from such a place, that was before he knew he would be a Demon Prince. He was now returning to the kind of place he grew up in but not as a sheep, a shepherd, nor a wolf but as a pseudo-god. He still didn’t fully understand where he stood in the Demon World but amongst humans, as far as his memories and knowledge served, there was no one that could compete with his strength. There were five-tiers of Demons. From the lowest; lesser, mid, greater, arch, and finally, supreme. The three generals under the Demon Queen were Arch Demons. Augrun and his mother were Supreme Demons, the highest tier. Humans that were as powerful as a greater Demon were already a one in a million, let alone a human that could rival an Arch or a Supreme Demon. He didn’t need to worry about being trampled and walked over like his old life.

Augrun’s smile widened. “Well then, when’s the earliest that I can leave?”

“As early as now, my son, but before you leave, I will advise you to learn some basic spells first before embarking on your journey to the outside world. And… I do wish you would stay a little longer before you went about your business. At least until this feast is over, will you?”

“Of course, mother.”

The feast lasted for hours and so did the mirthful mood of the Demons. As promised, Augrun spent these past few hours with his new birth mother. They talked about various stuff and some of it was even too awkward of a subject to be discussing with one’s own mother. However, not once did they dwell too deep into the subject of Augrun’s past life. At most, they only skimmed the surface. The Demon Queen truly did not care who or what Augrun was before he was her son. As far as she was concerned, his life before this was non-existent and Augrun was simply content that he didn’t need to be carrying around a huge secret for who knew how long it could have been. Still, Augrun was curious as to why the Queen would use the soul of another person from another world as the foundation of her conception.

“It was the only way,” the queen said. “The power of a Supreme Demon is too much for the mind of a recently-born Demon to handle. To be the future Demon King, one has to be a Supreme Demon. The time required for even an Arch Demon to become a Supreme Demon requires thousands of years and a lot could happen in such long years. The Demon Prince cannot be born as anything but a Supreme Demon. Therefore, this is the solution we came to, using an existing soul as the foundation, a seasoned soul who had seen and been through enough. We pray to the God of Night and Darkness, Runyx, for her to grant us such a soul. And she answered our prayers.”

Runyx, there was such a name amidst Augrun’s memories and knowledge. It was the name of the goddess that all the Demons pray to. She was also known as the Demon God to the humans and she was believed to be the creator of Demons. Though she was the Demon God, the Demons weren’t too fanatical about her. The Demons didn’t see Runyx as their lord and saviour like humans would to their god. They merely saw Runyx as a silent watcher who would once in a while impart the Demons some of her wisdom or knowledge. All in all, the Demons weren’t religious about a god they truly believe existed. Satisfied with the answers, Augrun moved on to other subjects with a heart lighter than ever. 

As the feast went on, the skinship of the Demon Queen only increased. She wasn’t drunk but she sure was acting like one. As awkward and embarrassing as it was for Augrun, the others did not share his sentiment. They were all just looking at the mother and child with warm gazes, except for one pink-haired maid who was avoiding Augrun’s gaze for the whole time.

The queen caught the maid in her sight with a grin. “Sera,” she called. 

The pink-haired maid jolted with her body and raised her head with a startling gaze. “Y-yes, Your Majesty?”

“Come here,” the queen beckoned.

The maid named Sera trotted up to them. Before she could kneel, the queen stopped her. “Augrun, this here is Sera. She will be going with you to the human world.”

“I will, Your Majesty?”

“I certainly won’t mind having the company of such a lovely lady,” Augrun said with a greeting smile directed at Sera, who averted her gaze as a faint blush crept up to her cheeks. In Augrun’s eyes, while she wasn’t as beautiful as the Demon Queen herself, she was still a beauty in her own rights and her bosom was a sight for sore eyes. It was hard for Augrun to not keep his gaze latched onto her bountiful chest.

“Aside from her company, you’ll need her magic. I cannot think of anyone more skilled at concealment spells than Sera here. She won’t just be disguising your appearance but also suppressing your Demonic Aura.”

“My Demonic Aura?” Augrun asked. It rang a bell but he still hadn’t got the opportunity to sieve through all these memories and knowledge.

“It’s sort of a… feeling that one gives to the other person but when it comes to Demons, our aura is very… intimidating and glaring, especially for Arch and Supreme Demons. Humans have been known to die from just being in the presence of an Arch Demon, let alone a Supreme Demon. Of course, Sera is also available for… recreational purposes.”

Augrun blinked. He swore that he misheard what was said but he knew that he didn’t. He thought hearing this sort of topic from one’s own mother was nothing to be embarrassed about for the Demons but when he saw the shocked faces of the maids and the servants, he knew that wasn’t the case. It was just the eccentricness of the Demon Queen.

“Your Majesty,” Sera uttered, unperturbed by the queen’s words. “With the utmost respect, please exercise restraint on your peculiarity. The Prince is but a youngling.”

“Is he now?” the queen questioned back. “Augrun, surely you have known the touch of a woman in your past life, no?”

As lying was impossible in front of the queen, Augrun could only nod.

The queen simpered. “Is Sera not to your liking?”

“Your Majesty, please quit your jest. I am but a lowly maid.”

“For now, Sera,” the queen said. “And what’s your answer, Augrun?”

Sera sighed. “Your Majesty, the Prince couldn’t possibly be—”

“She is to my liking,” Augrun said. He briefly glimpsed at the other maids and servants. Contrary to his expectations, none of them gave off an air of envy or jealousy. It was quite the opposite. They looked genuinely happy for Sera who had stolen his fancy. Augrun was relieved to see this. They weren’t petty like the humans he was used to.

“Your Highness, you have only known me for less than a day,” Sera said. “This liking of yours could just be a fleeting moment of interest. There are others out there who are stronger and more beautiful than me. They will be to your liking more, Your Highness.”

“Maybe but none of them was the one who was by my side for the whole time I was maturing and thriving in the egg.”

The Demon Queen covered her lips as she glanced amusingly at Sera, who was blushing as red as a tomato.

“I-I don’t understand what you’re s-saying, Your Highness…” Sera’s stoic expression was beginning to crumble.

“I think you do, Sera. I’m starting to remember everything that has been going on while I was in the egg. You were praying for my well-being constantly. You made sure not a speck of dirt or dust remained too long on the egg. You were whispering all sorts of sweet nothings to me as you were cleaning the egg. Most important of all, I was sure I even heard some cries—”

“C-cease your jest, Your Highness!” The pink-haired maid snapped her pleading gaze to the queen, on her knees. “Your Majesty, please don’t misunderstood! No such thing happened!”

The Demon Queen’s glowed as she grinned. “Sera, you know how much I hate being lied to, don’t you?”

Sera fell silent and cast her gaze down. Her cheeks were turning even redder than a tomato at this point.

“For your punishment, you are to sit between us for the entirety of the feast, Sera,” the queen said, patting the empty spot between her and Augrun.

“Y-your Majesty… that will be too presumptuous of me to be sitting between—” 

“It is presumptuous for you to be ignoring your queen’s words, Sera.”

“But Your Majesty, that place is unbefitting for me.”

“Why would you think so, Sera?” the Demon Queen asked with a simper. “Or do you perhaps find it uncomfortable here?”

“No such thing, Your Majesty,” Sera retorted with a stoic expression. “I’m just afraid His Highness might be uncomfortable.”

“I am not, Sera,” Augrun said and grabbed her hand. “If you are not uncomfortable, then neither am I, Sera”

“Y-your Highness…” Sera breathed as Augrun, her dream and literal Prince, took her lovingly by her hand. “I am unworthy. I am just a Greater Demon, Your Highness. I won’t be able to bear your offspring.”

“You don’t need to, Sera.”

“But you do, Your Highness. I appreciate your affection but I have no wish to devalue your pedigree, Your Highness,” she said and retracted her hand from Augrun’s grip. 

“I see…” Augrun muttered.

“Oh, my, Sera. Now you’re just hurting the feelings of the Prince. How sinful of you, Sera,” the Demon Queen teased.

“I spoke only the truth, Your Majesty.”

“No, you didn’t, Sera.” Abruptly, Augrun grabbed her hand again and this time, he pulled her into his lap, eliciting a gasp from the maids, servants, and even the queen.

“Y-your Highness?” Sera blurted.

“You are not speaking truthfully, Sera. You are speaking presumptuously. Having you as my lover will devalue my pedigree, says who?”

“I-it’s… tradition, Your Highness.”

“And who sets these traditions?”

“T-the past Demon Kings and Queens.”

“They’re dead. You serve the current living and breathing Demon Queen, not the late ones. Do you understand, Sera?”

Sera nodded, confused and utterly shocked.

“So, dear mother, do you oppose this intimate relationship between me and Sera?”

The Demon Queen beamed into a wide grin and chuckled. “Dear me, Augrun. You are clearly no longer a child nor a youngling. You are old enough to make your own decisions.”

Augrun returned his mother’s grin and stared right back at Sera. “There you have it, Sera. Now, do you have anything else you would like to be presumptuous about?”

“I-I… I don’t, Your Highness.”

Augrun tutted. “It’s no longer, “Your Highness”, Sera.”

“Yes, of course.” Sera wrapped her arms behind him. “Forgive me, my prince.”

The Demon Queen was clapping, lightly, with a beaming grin on her face. “You are truly my son, Augrun. I know what I said before but… were you perhaps royalty in your past life?”

“No,” Augrun said. “But I have a long list of acquaintances that do act like royalties. I learned a lot from them.” Of course, by acquaintances, Augrun meant his assassination targets. Before he would take out a target, he would shadow them and learn of their behaviours and routine. It made it easier for him to pull the trigger, knowing he was making no mistake of his target’s identity.

54