015 Luxton
810 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here we are, ladies. Luxton!” Augrun announced in a low enthusiastic voice as they stood before the entrance of the town, which was a drawbridge to pass over the natural moat that encircled the town. 

Sera looked at Augrun weirdly. “Are you alright, young master?” she asked.

“Well, that was rude.”

“My concerns are genuine, young master.”

“I’m just trying to lift the mood,” Augrun said, looking over to Iora and Rynn, who were having stones on their shoulders and butterflies fluttering their stomachs. The two had been in that anxious state ever since they calmed down from the excitement over knowing Kara’s location. Premonition and various sorts of apprehensions filled their mind as they went down a list of additional misfortunes that Kara might have also gone through. They were also dwelling on Kara’s memory loss and they wondered how they would get her to remember them. Their worries were not assuaged even a little after they arrived at Luxton. As for the two’s disguises, Iora’s skin colour was lighter and she no longer had a horn. Rynn was largely the same with only her tail and ears hidden.

“I feel a bit better now, Your Highness,” said Amara, who had been dragged along with them after Augrun stumbled upon her in a corridor of the tower. On a whim, Augrun took her with him on this trip. He didn’t forget to let Vyona know through telepathy, who he received a very enthusiastic and positive response from. She retained her original form mostly under the guise of Sera’s magic. Her eyes were the only part of her that was disguised, which were now black and only a single pupil in each eye.

“Thank you, Amara,” Augrun said and stroked her head. Though she remained stoic, he could tell she was enjoying it by her accelerated heartbeat, or she could just be simply nervous that her Prince was touching her so casually. Augrun decided to lean into the former reasoning.

Unlike the Rosvid City, no guards were stopping them to check their papers. There were guards standing by but they were just simply staring at every individual walking through the drawbridge gate. At most, they gave Augrun and his group a broad stare. Most probably because he was a young man travelling with four beautiful ladies as his companions. And it wasn’t just the guards, the passers-by were starting too. Augrun and his women were all wearing cloaks but with their hoods pulled down to avoid looking too conspicuous by being too inconspicuous.

“Whoa…” Augrun gasped as he feasted his eyes on the wonderful scenery of Luxton. As it wasn’t as cramped and crowded as Rosvid City, Luxton gave off a very mellow and welcoming feel. The buildings and houses here were further spread apart. There were barely any alleys that were narrow and dark. Flowers and some plants were grown here and there around the town. All in all, everything just felt lighter, less smothering, and less dire, though their objective for coming to this town was extremely dire.

“Where do we look for Kara?” Iora asked as they were walking down the main street of Luxton. 

The gazes of the townsfolk were still stuck on them and the majority of these gazes were men, leering at the ladies. Augrun had half a mind to just abuse his power and blind all these leering gazes.

“The knight’s house,” Sera answered. “Around this time, she tends to be in the garden behind the house.”

“What was the knight’s name again?”

“Sir Javon Greenwood.”

“And where is his house?”

“Easy now, Iora,” Augrun said. “We don’t have any agents in this town, so we might need to tread carefully here until we guarantee Kara’s safety.”

“Why aren't there any agents here?” Iora asked.

“There used to be one but the agent died of old age,” Sera explained. “And since this town’s only contribution to the country’s overall gain was seafood and beer, Her Majesty did not bother to induct another agent. It wasn’t worth the trouble.”

“Seafood and beer are not worth the trouble?” Augrun asked. 

“Her Majesty did not share your fondness for a chore of the humans. However, it is worth the trouble now if the Prince took fancy to the seafood and beer here.”

“Why are we talking about food and beer? We should be picking up our pace.”

“Iora, we will find Kara but please calm down and imagine what it will look like to others if we just ran full speed to the knight’s house all in plain sight?”

“We can just make them forget what they all have seen after that. Demons have that sort of spell, do they not?” Iora asked, looking at Sera.

“Do we?” Augrun also turned to Sera.

“We do but at a scale of a town, that would require months of preparation for the memory spell as it needs to be precise on what memory to erase and how long this effect would last. The preparation would even be longer if the effect is meant to be permanent. And—”

“Alright, you made your point, Sera. We get the idea. It’s not a feasible idea. So, you see, Iora? Calm down. We’re already here in Luxton at least.”

“But—”

“It’s alright, Iora,” Rynn said, cupping Iora’s hand in hers. “I’m sure nothing else bad would happen to Kara. I’m worried too but our haste would just make waste.”

Iora chuckled softly. “You’re right, Rynn. Haste does make waste. That’s a very good saying. You learn that from the books in the library?”

Rynn shook her head. “It’s from Master. He said it to me when I was also fretful like you.”

“When was that?”

“When we were… making love… You and Sera were asleep and Master was still… lively, so he made love to me again.”

Iora glared at Augrun. “You fucked Rynn again after you fucked me and Sera until we’re unconscious?”

Augrun nodded.

“I-it’s not Master’s fault, Iora!” Rynn quickly came to Augrun’s defence when she saw Iora’s expression begin to warp. “I wanted to do it again too! Master was very gentle with me!” Rynn turned red as soon as she finished talking, realising what she was saying and how loud she was saying it.

Rynn was loud but not loud enough to be heard by the passers-by if they weren’t focusing on their hearing. Still, Rynn was thoroughly embarrassed by her small outbursts. Augrun and Sera chuckled warmly. Iora smiled exasperatedly and caressed Rynn’s head as Rynn huddled close to Iora with her head hung low in embarrassment.

Suddenly, a sharp cry came from behind them. They turned around and found Amara being cornered with her back against a street lantern pole. The person cornering Amara looked to be a man in his early forties, dressed in leather armour with a battle axe strapped behind him. The man had scars all over his face. That man was leering at Amara like a predator studying its prey, thinking of which part of the meat to start with. Augrun could also hear what the man was saying to Amara and he did not like each of the words that came out of the man’s lips. The man was even wrapping his filthy hand around Amara’s wrist. Augrun wanted to just rush toward that man and tear him into shreds and pieces, but his sanity and self-control prevailed when she thought about Kara. He calmed himself down and approached the man with a forced smile and composed steps. He gestured for Sera and others to stay put.

“Pardon me, mister,” Augrun called out, turning the man’s attention to him. “That’s my woman you’re trying to court.”

“Your woman?” The man suddenly burst into laughter and let go of Amara as he clutched his belly, cackling.

Amara quickly got behind Augrun in a trot.

“Let me guess, your father is some rich merchant with connections to some nobles?” asked the man as his laughter receded. Due to his loud cackling, the majority of the townsfolk had their attention set on them.

“What makes you say that?” Augrun asked in return.

The man snickered and walked right up Augrun until he was towering over Augrun. “Look at you. Your hair is glossy and trimmed. There’s no scar or pockmark on your face. You’re just another naive little boy who thinks his father’s money can protect him from everything.”

“I could be a noble.”

“Like hell you are,” the man scoffed. “You can’t fool me. Nobles like to flaunt and they are paranoid. They don’t go anywhere without their guards. You’re no noble.”

“Think what you will. Just don’t bother me or my women again.”

The man chuckled with a sneer directed at Amara. “Hey, lassie. I’m sure I can treat you better than this pissy little daddy’s boy can. Why don’t you come with me and I’ll show you what you’re missing out from a real man.”

Amara shook her head meekly and shrunk herself behind Augrun.

“Come on, missy. I’m sure you’re only sticking to this daddy’s boy for his money. But I have something better.” the man said, pointing at his crotch. “All the women I have fucked just could not get enough of me. All the women love it. You will too, lassie.”

“All the women you paid or threatened, I’m sure,” Augrun retorted. “We’re done here.”

“But I’m not, boy.”

Augrun snorted and turned around to leave, taking Amara along by her hand. She had a very passive expression but Augrun could feel how warmth she was getting and her heart was beating faster than before.

“I said I’m not done yet!” the man started shouting and reached his hand out towards Augrun.

But Augrun stopped, turned back around, and ceased the man’s movements with a single glare. “Touch me or my women again and you’ll regret it,” he warned.

The man couldn’t move. It was like he was encased in ice. It took him a few seconds before he was able to break himself free of the invisible hold. “I am not afraid of you, boy. Your father ain’t the only one with connections. My name is Brandon and I’m a hunter.” 

Augrun shrugged in response. He knew little about hunters as there was nothing much to know about them. Hunters were people who hunt monsters down for a living, usually for a request. They also sell the parts of the monster they slain for extra income. It had become a very saturated profession that hunters nowadays were no longer as revered as they were before.

“People often know me by my other name, the Searing Axe.” 

Augrun was still unamused and unimpressed but the townsfolk were muttering and gossiping about that name. From those whispers, Augrun gathered that Brandon was a famous hunter, sort of. His moniker came from how he always infused his axe with his fire magic.

“I know people too. I have powerful friends too,” Brandon continued. “Besides, you are without guards. I can beat you into a pulp before you can even cry out for your father.”

“Good for you,” Augrun said and turned around to leave.

Brandon grimaced at the lack of reaction from Augrun. Never had he been so humiliated by one before. Those that had humiliated him always ended up with broken bones or worse. But now, he was being shunned and belittled by a supposed gutless boy who knew little of the harshness of the world. He decided then and there that he would at least make the boy whimper even if he couldn’t break the boy’s bones like he boasted so greatly about. After all, he wasn’t that stupid but he was the type who put his ego first before everything else. He reached out again with his fingers curled like claws towards Amara instead.

Augrun sighed and spun around, catching Brandon’s arm. “I warn you,” Augrun said and twisted the man’s arm.

Brandon cried out but Augrun silenced him with a quick jab to his throat. He retched and gagged but no more screams came out of his mouth. Clutching his neck, Brandon dropped to the ground and writhed as he struggled to draw air into his lungs.

Augrun wasn’t done with him. He had given this man a chance, two in fact, but this man just had to squander it for the sake of his ego. Augrun didn’t mind if he wasn’t the one getting insulted but he absolutely could not stand it if his women were the ones being mocked and ridiculed, let alone being harmed. The man’s arm was aiming for Amara and Augrun could not just simply let that go. But before he could do anything drastic to the man, a woman in a beige robe that looked like the plain example of a dnd mage, dashed out from the amassing crowd and stood in between Brandon and Augrun.

“Mercy, m’lord,” begged the woman. She had long chestnut-coloured hair and eyes of the same hue and shade. She was not as beautiful as Sera or the others but Augrun still considered her a great beauty. Unlike the man she was protecting, she had a very gentle, understanding, and kind face. It was a shame to see such a woman looking so worried and afraid for a man like Brandon.

“And who are you?” Augrun asked, though he already had an inkling of the woman’s relationship with the man.

“My name is Lucia. I’m this man’s wife and travelling companion, m’lord,” the woman introduced herself hastily and dropped to her knees. “Please, I know he’s in the wrong but please, take mercy on him, m’lord.”

“Your husband was courting my woman. A married man courting a taken lady. Is there any reason that I should be lenient, ma’am?”

“I have nothing else to say, m’lord. My husband was indeed in the wrong but please, look into your vast heart and find forgiveness for my husband. Please, m’lord.”

“Why do you call me, m’lord? According to your husband, I’m not a noble. I’m just a pissy prick of a rich daddy’s boy.”

“He was gravely mistaken, m’lord. You are without a doubt a noble. I am a mage and I can sense that you’re a mage too with that much Mana inside of you. Only a noble could nurture such a mage with so much Mana at your age. And I caught a glimpse of your clothes underneath. They might look plain but I have an eye for fabric. Those fabrics are not the kind that simple rich merchants could get their hands on. So please, m’lord. Forgive my husband.”

Though having such a beautiful woman pleading for forgiveness was certainly tickling the clement side of him, his rage kept coming back when he thought about what the man would have done to his woman if he hadn’t intervened. The thought of this man ruining this second life of his that he intended to just laze around whimsically in, was making it hard for him to find any clemency in his heart.

“Young master,” Sera called out, who had walked up to Augrun’s side. “Remember our goal here,” she whispered.

Augrun took a deep breath and sighed. “I know… I know. That was unbecoming of me.” He then looked at Lucia and an idea struck his mind. It was something that he had wanted to do for a long time but the trouble that came with it just wasn’t worth it. But now that he was the Prince of Demons, he didn’t see any problem in it. He flashed the pleading woman an amicable smile. “Where are my manners? Truly unbecoming of me to not listen to the earnest plea of a lovely lady such as you, Lucia.”

“Y-you jest, m’lord,” Lucia responded with a slight recoil. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. A moment ago, the noble boy in front of her was about to rain hell on her husband but with just a few words from his woman, the noble boy went through such a sharp change in his demeanour.

Sera sighed exasperatedly as she had already seen through her Prince’s intentions.

“I am not, Lucia,” Augrun said and led Lucia to her feet by gently taking her hand. “You are young and beautiful.”

“Don’t tease me, m’lord,” she baulked meekly, pulling her hand away from Augrun. “I’m already a married old lady and I’m….” her voice trailed off and she did not finish her sentence as a tinge of sorrow and anguish touched her expression.

“I speak only the truth, Lucia. For your sake, I am willing to forgive your husband’s offence.”

“T-thank you, m’lord!” She bowed deeply “Thank you so much! I—”

“You dare to flirt with my wife!” Brandon roared after having recovered from his mishap.

“Bran, please! Just let it go,” Lucia entreated. “The boy’s a noble.”

“Silence, woman!” he roared even louder. “Like hell, he’s a noble! I don’t care even if he’s a noble. He hurt me and dared to court my woman. I will chop his limbs off and send them back to—”

There was a black blur that streaked past Augrun, slamming into Brandon and sending him bouncing across the ground.

The crowd gasped in surprise and shock. Lucia uttered her husband’s name in shock. Sera sighed and Augrun simply smiled wryly.

The black blur was Amara, who had rammed into Brandon and sent him tumbling. She had assumed her true form for a brief moment but the eyes of the townsfolk could not catch that split second of a moment. Augrun already knew Amara would do something like that. In fact, if Amara didn’t, Sera would have done the same thing. He could feel their rage rising as the man kept insulting him and when the man refused to back down even after his precious wife defended him, Augrun decided to let Sera and Amara do what they wanted and Amara beat Sera by a second. Amara might be shy and reserved but she was more than ready to respond should her Prince be slandered and Augrun could be happier about that. However, Amara herself began paling when she realised what she had done. She slowly turned around like a rusted cogwheel with an apprehensive expression but her face slacken when she saw her Prince smiling at her and nodding. She giggled with her gaze cast down and trotted to his side.

“S-spider…” someone muttered quietly with a quivering tone.

Augrun snapped his gaze in the direction of that voice and found Lucia staring at Amara with a horrified face. He could also see her shoulders were mildly shivering. He had hoped that Amara would be too fast for anyone to see but Lucia caught a glimpse. Judging from her pale face, she was convinced that she did not misperceive. Augrun kept his amicable smile and approached Lucia. She took notice of Augrun’s approach and was about to retreat away from him but he moved fast and took her hand, kissing it on the back.

“Keep it a secret, alright?” Augrun asked with the friendliest smile he could muster.

Contrary to his intentions, Lucia turned even paler and nodded frantically at Augrun’s “request”.

Augrun sighed and shrugged. He didn’t expect Lucia would buy his smile anyway but at least the result was the desired one, and that was her silence. The gallery also took notice of Lucia’s expression of terror but they all just wrote it off as fear of her husband’s misdeed.

“What is going on here!?” a voice shouted and the crowd parted like Moses parted the red sea. A small group of town guards appeared with a young man at the front, leading them. The young man dressed similarly to the guards but there were more ornaments on the young man’s attire and the fabric seemed to be of higher quality. He was also wearing a steel torso armour piece.

“That man over there tried to court my woman, one of many, and when I told him off, he tried to assault my woman,” Augrun said. “The man’s wife pleaded to me for her husband’s forgiveness and mercy which I did give him but he tried to assault me again and my woman here protected me from him.”

The young man and the guards frowned at Augrun’s explanation. They didn’t seem suspicious of the fact that Brandon assaulted them or that he courted other women, they were frowning at the last part of Augrun’s story and the part where Augrun said he had several women. 

“You let your woman protect you?” the young man scoffed.

“Problem?”

“Aren’t you ashamed that you, a man, were protected by a woman?”

“I don’t see anything so shameful about that.”

The young man began to eye Augrun dubiously. “You’re not from around here, are you?”

“Nope, not at all. We’re from somewhere far far away.”

“So you’re just visiting this town?”

“Actually, we’re here in search of someone. A beastfolk girl, a slave. We heard someone resembling her appearance was seen in this town. So that’s why we’re here.”

“You’re here to take this girl back to her owner, is that it?” the young man asked, his hand clutching the short sword by his waist. The guards behind him followed his gesture.

Augrun sighed, again. Please don’t get complicated, he mused hopefully in his heart.

26