Chapter 11- Desserts with the Dead (1)
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello again! Thank you for reading this far even if a lot seems confusing right now. This chapter is one on the shorter note because I had a little too much fun writing and practically doubled my set limit for this chapter which is why I'm splitting it. I'm trying to be consistent but it had a good time and I'm not willing to rewrite XD. Enjoy our third chapter with Hotaru !

 

“You want a daifuku? We just made them with mom.” (Hotaru)

 

“I’m guessing you just took them?” Anko stuck out her hand excitedly, acting like she didn’t have at least three sets of dango before I came along.  I placed two in her palm with a smile on my face 

 

“Shh, she was too tired to stop me. I call it a win.” I puffed out my chest with my hands against my hips before taking stride again.

 

It was a little chilly after last night’s storm, although it ended in the middle of the night before the snack heist.

 

“I don’t know why you’re like this?” Anko let out a sigh, she was doing so a lot more with me around which I take as a personal victory, but it wasn’t like she had to follow me.

 

I wouldn’t deny that I enjoyed her company though. I enjoyed being around mom in the same way. It was nice to just be around quiet people on the occasion, a nice break from everything. 

 

We walked around a few puddles to find the staff cleaning up the gravestones. I’ve gotten pretty familiar with everyone here, most of which were civilians who found this as a way to pay respects to those who’ve fallen.

 

I wonder how Teruko is doing now, last I heard from him he started dating someone. I would’ve loved to meet them…

 

I recognized that I slowed my pace to a trudge and hadn’t responded to Anko. That’s when I saw my reflection in the puddle.

 

While Yakumo preferred keeping her hair long I like mine short. Dark brown hair in a bob made me feel like a Dora look alike, so I use a hair clip that had a small red butterfly attached to it to distract from the fact.

 

I wore a red jacket with black sleeves that had the marking of the Kurama clan on the back and wrist in white over a white t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. YEAH, I HAD THE SHOES, THEY WERE BLACK TOO!

 

When I saw how down I was looking I just slapped both hands against my cheeks, startling Anko and the staff who heard it but I kept a little speed walk ahead of her before she could question anything.

 

“Haruto?” It was annoying that she could easily keep pace with me.

 

Motherf-, CURSE THESE SMALL LEGS!

 

“Hmph, you just don’t believe it. So, you’ll be able to decide if you do or not after this.” Crossing my arms, I faced her, blew a razzberry, and immediately looked around for any nuisances.

 

“Hello? You still haven’t said what we’re doing…” (Anko)

 

“Oh…, W-We’re just gonna talk to a ghost, no biggie.” (Hotaru)

 

“Pfft, a ghost?!” (Anko)

 

She couldn’t be serious, right?... RIGHT?!

 

“We live in a world where a giant possessed fox could demolish our strongest clan and you don’t believe in ghosts?!” (Hotaru)

 

“Not really, a person’s journey is over when they die, there’s no continuation.” (Anko)

 

B: (…) Jack

 

S: (…) Ella

 

M: (Can’t disagree on that one.)

 

“T- That’s a fair point…” (Hotaru)

 

“Uh-huh.”  (Anko)

 

“I wish I could agree with that…” (Hotaru)

 

“Fine, then who are we going to talk to?” (Anko)

 

“I think you’ll recognize her once we get there.” (Hotaru)

 

Anko Mitarashi, a student of a sannin. It’s only been a year since we met because I decided to join dad on the clan meeting last year.  Out of ten people, she managed to survive some juinjutsu thing put on her.

 

We walked across the open grounds in between stone tablets etched with names. Anko remained quiet as we walked down the dirt paths. I’ve always found it intriguing, that people always keep their true nature hidden behind a mask just to be more accompanying. 

 

Even if I couldn’t confirm Anko’s feelings, it was like the same aura I see around the clansmen near me but different. Like a different shade of color, I hated it. What bothered me most about it was just how close its color was getting to the one I see on the clansmen. At best, I can say she definitely wanted some sort of revenge…

 

What I despised, was those who were never direct with those feelings.

 

 The side eyes, the whispers, the difference in treatment.

 

The anger.

 

The sadness.

 

The confusion.

 

There’s always been this unsettling comfort I’ve found in it. Being able to feel others' hatred 24/7 is unfortunately where I shine the most. It’s also how I knew that my home life was going to be all as grand as I’d like it to be.

 

I chuckled to myself as we took a left into a long section of names that just added to the lies. Right next to the Senju's were the duo who served as the holders of one of the… FOX, I GOT IT! 

 

I set down my backpack I placed a small container and filled it with flowers as Anko just stood beside me. 

 

“This is more of a test to see if I can let you see her too for a little bit.” (Hotaru)

 

“Which one?” (Anko)

 

“Pfft, sorry. They like to switch from time to time but I’m not sure which one would come out today? Just sit here and close your eyes for a bit. This’ll be fun!” (Hotaru)

 

“Alright…” (Anko)

 

Both of us sat there, on our knees, and after making sure Anko shut her eyes, I put my hand on hers. She flinched and I took my hand off in an instant.

 

“Sorry, should’ve said something. Won’t happen again.” (Hotaru)

 

I shut my eyes and extended my hand in between the two graves as it was slowly motioned to the left and a smile grew across my face.

 

Looks like the Habanero is taking her turn today.

 

I placed my right hand on the ground as a tingly sensation I’ve come to recognize as chakra became cool as it was being filtered into my body and extending to Anko. It was always so refreshing to do this, like having your head in front of a fan on a hot day.

 

 With our eyes shut, we no longer saw darkness. Like a curtain opening up in the morning, our sight expanded to a place far beyond our capabilities. We surveyed the pink space before us as we entered.

 

 Speckled with multiple small white spots that would connect to look like clouds and disperse again.

 

“Anko, I’d like for you to be the second person to meet one of my main senseis, the red-hot habanero herself, Kushina Uzumaki! ” (Hotaru)

2