Chapter 50- Fangs vs. Wolfsbane
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

*Click*

 

‘We got this!’

 

“GO FOR IT!” (Makoto)

 

We had him right where we wanted him, I could see the shock in his eyes when his feet were planted to the ground in the cursed ice, I worked so hard, day in and day out to hone as my strength.

 

However, my newfound confidence left just as soon as it came when the knoll gave me a full toothy grin.

 

It quickly reached out and grabbed Kohaku’s leg when it all froze for a moment. Flashes ran across my mind of Kohaku being thrown into me as the gnoll howled and sent us flying into the back wall before I returned to that shit-eating grin. 

 

Instead of a boy, there was a mass of water over the knoll that reformed as his with one jacked arm that clocked the bipedal hyena’s muzzle and sent him flying into the water.

 

[-30]

[-0]

[-0]

 

[—------- the exiled]

[191/ 250]

 

[Condition: Poisoned (Major) + Slowed (Minor) + Dazed]

 

Poisoned (Major)- Deals 5% of health over 10 minutes.

 

Slowed- Attack and Reaction speeds are halved for 30 seconds.

 

Dazed- Damaged is increased by 20% but vision is impaired for 30 seconds.

 

“Let’s go!” Kohaku ran up and wrapped his arms around me, laughing.

 

You must understand that this was my third time in actual combat. I was ecstatic so much so that I ignored the first rule I was taught.

 

Never turn your back on your enemy.

 

The tides of a battle shift as desperate each person grows. It’s a funny thing to consider but being pushed to the brink shows a wonderful exchange of intent.

 

*SPPLSH*

 

The hyena surrounded by a heavier red glow than before shot into the sky like a rocket

 

“AROOO”, howling as the immediate surroundings became pitch black and we were knocked off our feet.

 

I couldn’t tell you what happened. One moment of celebration and the next we were airborne. My head was pulled in closer, and my mind went blank.

 

*BOOM*

 

[- 10]

 

*KRRk…BOOM*

 

*KRRKK*

 

[-50]

 

[You’ve taken over a quarter of your health! Steady yourself!]

 

[Condition: Dazed- 30 seconds]

 

My ears rang as notifications and red numbers flew by me. 

 

“Ugh…” Whatever shielded us rolled out and I could barely keep my gaze steady through the raindrops falling into a downpour.

 

But in this state, I could see it all.

 

‘A forest of w-totems’

 

***

 

“Pfft!” Hotaru would’ve been choking on that laughter she was stifling if she took another bite of her muffin.

 

“Shut it!” (Makoto)

 

“You were going to say wood, weren’t you?” (Hibiki)

 

“No!” (Makoto)

 

“Yes, he was.” (Kohaku)

 

“UGH!”  (Makoto)

 

***

 

I wobbled to my feet to see the caved-in and shattered wooden trail. Just imagining how much damage I’d take if that was head-on was like a bucket of cold water. It wasn’t just that though. Kohaku was crumpled to the ground. Bleeding.

 

I didn’t want to check further with [Eagle’s Eye] feeling too nauseous to know what was going on.

 

?: ‘(Pull yourself together!)’

 

Learning to heal with this light was my decision and to do so was rigorous. Not many would see me as qualified and that we knew. We’d pay visits to smaller villages or those housed too far from hospitals.

 

I remembered the smiling and solemn faces because of my work.

 

I slowed my breathing and turned him over. pulled out a dagger and cut off the shirt to attend to the injury as fast as I could. He was nicked in the waist, but bruising was bad. What shielded us was fast enough to prevent him from having a hole in his side.

 

‘He can’t always be water?’

 

The ringing barely ceased when it was replaced by a new one, “MY… lord, a-are you alright?”

 

I was taken aback at the landing bird that kept shrieking in my ears but, kept my hands busy with completing the seals before turning my attention to him.

 

[Hyōton + Raiton Combo: North Star Refraction]

 

A small four-pointed star of light encased in ice slowly spun over his-

 

***

 

“Yamcha’d” (Hotaru)

 

“HEY!” (Kohaku)

 

“AHAHA!” (Hibiki)

***

 

… body before releasing a soft light over the two of us.

 

[+2]

[+2]

[+2]

 

I didn’t test it with Hotaru but, I was glad that I could still split the healing. 

 

‘It heals one person for five but splits the more people I have. Making note of that for later.’

 

On the bright side, it did a little of both worlds. A little healing and clearing the conditions.

 

“Aoi, can you look over him?” (Makoto)

 

“If you that’s where you need me to do then I’ll stick by his side.” (Aoi)

 

“Thank you.” I grabbed my bow and sprinted through the artificial woods like it was my own backyard.

 

Following a trail of fallen poles, holes, and claw marks; making ice branches wasn’t the wisest idea so I stuck to hoping the top of each totem.

 

“This is all I got. The rest is up to you.” (Hanashi)

 

‘Who would be expecting a fucking INVISIBLE FOREST!!!’

 

 My hair was drenched to the point that I could call it a makeshift weapon when I spotted them. 

 

‘Glad I kept it as a ponytail.’

 

Everyone fought through the downpour like it was nothing. I wouldn’t have been able to witness it if it wasn’t for the clearing by the waterfall.

 

*BOOM*

 

*KRRK SPOOLSSH!!!*

 

Another totem fell as the white fur I could make out earlier was ever so clear in the glow of the fires.

 

He looked battered beyond belief. Frantically looking up, I hid with [Stealth] before I realized he was looking to the sky. Tossing what remained of their spear away and getting on all fours.

 

“FIGHT ME, COWARD! I’LL NEVER LOSE TO THE LIKES OF YOU!”

 

[Unmei the Exiled] [ Lv. 20]

[HP: 100/250]

[Condition: Poisoned (Major)+ BERSERK]

 

Sauntering out with an odd mask on his face and a bo staff. He chuckled, “I’m sure your brother said the same thing.”

 

[-10]

[-2]

 

“Might’ve even been his last words.” (Hanashi)

 

[-25]

[-2]

 

“Ah.” A vicious grin plastered on his face.

 

“So- they- were.” (Hanashi)

 

[-5]

[-2] 

[-2]

 

[Nyct]

[HP: 30/100]

[Condition: Poisoned (Major)]

 

“SILENCE!” With the wave of the gnoll’s hand, the red aura emerged. Smaller this time.

 

[+10]

 

“What?!” (Unmei)

 

“Looks like it was the spear.” (Riri)

 

“How upsetting. Reworking a staff into a spear, can’t say I don’t admire that trick.

 

Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do better with this.” (Hanashi)

 

[+30]

[-5]

 

“ENOUGH! AROO!” (Unmei)

 

“AWOOO!” (Hanashi)

 

The two-sound bursts met in the middle.

 

*BOOM*

“See? Give it another shot.”

 

“AWOO!”

 

[-5]

 

A similar but smaller one out of Riri made contact and flung the gnoll further back.

 

“All you need is some practice now and you’ll reach the point we have. It might even change.” (Hanashi)

 

Returning to visibility was the one and only.

 

[Riri] [Lv. 10]

[HP: 42/100]

 

‘They’re healing him?!’

 

“You’re sick!” Unmei snarled.

 

“Tell us something we don’t know, babes.” (Hanashi)

 

“I-I…” (Unmei)

 

Suddenly the rain stopped, and the clouds began to part.

 

“Whoopsie.” (Hanashi)

 

“What’s going on?” (Riri)

 

“I’m outta mana, chakra, whatever you wanna call it.”

 

“HEHEHE! I’ll KILL YOU!” (Unmei)

 

Unmei made a mad dash and I began my onslaught.

 

[Double Shot]

[Ice Arrow]

[Ice Trap]

 

With Riri as my focus, the path towards them became a field of glaciers. The gnoll bobbed and weaved his way through most, breaking those that would come into contact with him.

 

[-10]

[-5]

 

“Mako…to…” (Riri)

 

“Nah, nah, nah. Let’em cook.” (Hanashi)

 

[Condition: Slowed]

 

[-4]

[-5]

 

[-5]

[-5]

[-10]

[-5]

 

I was going to fire another when I realized my quiver was empty and he made it up to them just to get decked in the face by Hanashi

 

[-5]

 

“I said I was out of Chakra, not ass-whoopin’.”

 

-and blown back.

 

[-2]


“NOW, KUMO!” (Hanashi)

 

“YES, BOSS!” (Kumo)

 

Strings across the water wrapped the gnoll between two poles.

 

“HURRY UP, MAKO! We don’t have all day! Get next to the waterfall!”

 

“What are you on?” (Makoto)

 

“Alcohol and Molly, now GO!” (Hanashi)

*THUD THUD THUD*

 

The sound of the totems falling was growing closer and closer so I picked up the pace until I reached them.

“I can’t get up there!” (Makoto)

“Trust me and keep going!” (Hanashi)

 

“What are you-” (Makoto)

 

By the time I said that I got a clear look at them beneath me.

 

‘Holy-!’

 

“GO!” He yelled once more, before chugging a blue potion.

 

I reached the top and watched Kohaku’s battered figure holding onto the same ringed staff from before that was now buzzing with energy on the water as thread formed a pattern he was in the middle of.

 

[Spirit Art:

 

“NO!” Unmei screamed while zig-zagged paper streamers attached to the strings that circled the gnoll and his earring glowed.

 

Solemn Sanctuary]

 

Each streamer wrapped around into a giant ball held aloft.

 

“I DIDN’T DO IT!” (Unmei)

 

“Cl-, I know.” (Hanashi)

 

“WHAT?!” (Unmei)

 

“Kumo!” (Hanashi)

 

“FOR COOKIES!” (Kumo)

 

At a breakneck speed, the clouds going by flew towards the ball and grew black as they crackled on the outside.

 

[Cage of Clouds]

 

“Aoi!” (Makoto)

 

To this day, I don’t know what made me call out. It just felt right as a voice I could’ve sworn I heard before instructed me.

 

?:  (Slash it.)

 

[Howling Blaze]

 

I swung the bladeless hilt it sparked as Aoi erupted into blue flames as he wrapped around and ignited the ball.

 

“Riri!” (Makoto)

 

“Yeah?” She looked up at me.

 

“You did great!” I gave her a thumbs up.

 

“I know! I’m awesome!” I didn’t want to say anything, but her little dog tail wagging made me want to jump off to cuddle her.

 

***

“BOO!” (Hibiki)

“GET OUT!” (Kohaku)

 

“TOO WHOLESOME!” (Hotaru)

“LET ME HAVE THIS!” (Makoto)

 

***

“CAN YOU DO IT AGAIN?!” Hanashi yelled to me from the long pillar he stood on.

“I-I DON’T KNOW HOW!” I smacked around the hilt.

“We’ll take it from here.” (Miroku)

And that’s up to speed.

***

“Cap.” (Hanashi)

 

“Nope.” (Kohaku)


“LIAR!” (Hotaru)


*Click*

 

I loved writing this fight and almost got as far I was hoping to so, I guess Makoto is taking a cheat chapter. It's been so much fun writing this so I don't want to leave this one open ended.

Thanks so much for reading and let me know who you're curious to hear from! A certain group has been busy and many have work to do, Nishishi!

1