Prologue-2.5-EXTRA-An attendant’s plight Beatrice P.O.V
114 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Beatrice POV

I have been working as an attendant on the von Graad house for 2 years now, and my experiences so far have been very interesting.

I owe my life to master and madam, who brought me, an orphan who had lost everything, to their own home and gave a job, a place for me to stay and a purpose.

To be honest, I was intimidated when madam asked for me to become a personal attendant of the young lord. I have never done something so important and I didn't want to make a mistake and disappoint my saviours. 

Is important to know that the duties of an personal attendant go beyond just helping your master with his daily responsibilities. You must also act as an bodyguard whenever he is in danger, be able to to all the work of an servant competently and be able to blend in with the surrounding this way acing as your master's eyes and ears.

And I also have heard many stories about what can happen if a servant displeases his master, I was praying that my new master was reasonable and not some sadist who loves to give people unreasonable orders just to see his helpless servant suffer.

And my prayers seemed to have been answered, because, even though I failed to greet him properly and couldn't make eye contact with him due to how scared I was, he didn't seem to mind it at all and even responded without any arrogance or put on airs.

But that creepy smile at the end still gives me goosebumps to this day whenever I recall it.

And from that day forward my training to become an attendant fit for the heir of the von Graad household began.

I was instructed mainly by Jonathan since he was the most fit for the job and a few of the older maids of the mansion. The subjects ranged from administration ,hand to hand combat, servant etiquette, how to identify a poison and how to walk silently and information gathering.

After all, an attendant must be able to protect their lords from all dangers, visible and invisible

But, now, speaking of my master: Alabaster von Graad   

I was wrong 

I was so wrong 

I assumed that because he treated me kindly when I was still adapting to the job he was a good person. I even started to see him as an younger sibling and ask him to call me older sister.

But he turned out to be a devil in disguise!

As soon as we were left alone the little imp showed his true self to me and from then on my hardships began.

Constant teasing, making unreasonable request, giving me embarrassing nicknames and overall trying to make me embarrassed at every opportunity.

Recently I accidentally saw him while he was improper when entering his room and since then he has been calling me Ero-maid, saying that he cannot marry anymore and is being ogled by his own servant.

How does an 6 year old even know about all of that?! Its just like they aways say: 'It is the most quiet and reserved people the ones that hide the biggest secrets'.

Though, I know he wasn't being mean. The nicknames were never offensive, just embarrassing, the unreasonable request were few and far in between, even when he embarrassed me he never gone to far as to hurt my feelings and never did it in public were it can affect my image or tarnish my reputations.

Even so, being subjected to something like that by someone 2 years younger than me was still extremely humiliating!

And the worst part is that it's hard to even keep my selfsteem high when I compare myself to him. Despite our 2 year difference in age, our intellects are far apart.

When I once tried to read one of his books I couldn't understand a thing! Later I found out that everything I was learning at the moment he had already learnt.

Comparing myself with a genius and seeing how far apart we were was depressing.

Once one of the servants told me that 'an attendant's greatest misfortune is an incompetent master.' But I found out that an Master that is too competent was also no good, how do you serve someone that is so outstanding that they don't need your help at all?

But, putting all that aside.

I have to admit that he has a few good things going for him.

He is aways willing to help me in my studies even despite his very full schedule since he started to be prepared to inherit the title.

He is punctual, organized and focused. That makes my job as his attendant much easier. 

And when talking to the other servants he is very humble and considerate, especially the head butler and head knight, apparently they have been taking care of him since he was young and in turn he treats them like family. They are treated as uncles and in turn they care for him as if he was their nephew. 

Also despite being young, he already has shown potential to become very handsome in the future if he is to take after his father. If I say so myself. 

So overall, my life has been pretty good since I was put in his side.     

And to respond to Master and madam entrusting their son to me, I promise to become an outstanding servant that will be able to proudly stand at his side!

A-Also, maybe make that brat see that he can't mess with someone older than him even if it is his servant, yes! definitely!, I will make him respect me as an older sibling and then he will stop teasing me!

I-I hope!


Coming back to the present, Beatrice is currently readying herself for another unremarkable day on the von Graad household.

After finishing her morning rituals and wearing her attendant outfit, wich is similar to an maid outfit with the difference being that instead of a skirt, the uniform has formal pants and very elegant boots since an attendant need an extra flexibility due to the multitude of tasks they are assigned with.

She leaves her room on the servants quarters and heads towards her Master's bedroom.

Although she isn't an full time attendant yet due to not being able to accompany her master all the time since she has her own training to go through, waking him up in the mornings is something she never misses out on doing.

That is due her earnestness and seriousness when doing her job.

Arriving at her destination she excuses herself into the room and calmly makes her way to the side of the bad and observes Alabaster who is currently sleeping with an tranquil expression. Seeing such an expression really gives one the urge to mess with this person.

But she will not be fooled again!

Although he looks like an peacefully sleeping kid, she knows that he already woke up when she entered the room and now is only waiting for her to make an mistake.

Before she had once failed to resist the urge and tried to mess with him when he was asleep.

But I only wanted to touch his hair and pinch his cheeks, I had no intention of doing anything weird, I swear! She tries to justify herself everytime but it only serves to show her own guilty conscience.

Regardless, he suddenly woke up when she was on an compromising position and then she had to endure all kinds of teasing, she could only do her best to avoid him and wait for him to forget.

But unfortunately he never forgets. Curse his good memory!

This time she goes towards the the large window and opens the curtains, letting sunlight in and waking him up.

"Good morning master, I hope that you have an pleasant and productive day." She eloquently speaks, not showing a single trace of shyness or awkwardness.

Seeing that she hasn't made any mistakes he can prey upon, he just sights and nods in acknowledgement before calling the servants to ready him for the day.

Seeing her job done and mentally petting herself on the back for an flawless performance she heads out to where she will start her training.

She changes into training gear and goes to the back of the mansion to train in peace. Firstly she does a few stretches and some light exercise. After finishing it she heads to were Jonathan is waiting for her to go to the next step of her training: combat

An attendant is also an bodyguard and must be able to defend itself and it's master. Even with his old wound, Jonathan is no slouch in combat and diligently passes on all that he knows about hand to hand combat later switching to knife combat.

She chose to use knifes for its ease of concealment and it best complements her small stature.

After finishing physical training and eating her meal she then goes on to meet Christina to move onto another aspect of her training.

She is an old servant that has already guided and watched over various newer servants, and she teaches her about the servants etiquette, how to behave herself in public and and how to coordinate other servants to make her master's work easier.

Moving onwards she advances to being taught academic material, much similar to that witch Alabaster was learn when he reaches her age. But has already learnt in advance.

An servant will help his lord by aiding in other matters to make the supervision of the territory easier, but an attendant must be able to give council and directly help, so they recieve an similar education as that of their lord.

Although she isn't particularly smart like her master she makes up for it by working harder.

At the end of her training she then meets with Alabaster to help her with any questions she has and overall just chat with each other.

After this she uses her free time to talk with the staff of the mansion and put in some extra work on her academics

When you have such an outstanding master, putting in some effort to not be left behind is necessary.

With this it comes to an end another unremarkable day for the Young attendant of the young lord of the von Graad house.

This is an extra that I made so that the readers can have a bit more insight into the relationship between Alabaster and Beatrice, her past will be shown in an future chapter                             

4