Chapter 10 – Days in sewers, Human
474 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the next few days I have stayed in the sewers I killed a few tens of rats and other small monsters, including six slimes, two rotten undead, a Drowned and one stray wild dog that somehow got in. Fortunately I had no dangerous encounters, but there were a few times I had to hide from humans coming down there.

I had already much of spare rat bloodline Natria was messing with during the nights, and I obtained a small part of slime bloodline. I was initially surprised when she told me killing a total of seven slimes barely yielded me a fourth of their bloodline while after killing only four rats I obtained the major part of the bloodline. She explained it saying that slimes have much bigger and more complicated bloodline due to a few factors she didn’t mention, which in turn resulted in devouring bigger part in size, but much smaller comparing to the whole.

The undead were the very simple ones, the mindless zombies that had soul and spirit left in a working state, but their memories wiped clean. What slightly surprised me was that I obtained parts of human bloodline from them, and a little bit of something else even Natria could only guess what it was. It didn’t give me anything that could significantly help with my Origin, so I didn’t pay them much attention.

And about Drowned, it is basically a drowned human or some other thing that got transformed due to mana in the air. The one I killed was formerly a human, though looked bluish with ugly scales and fins. Natria said it had some of human bloodline and most of interesting bloodline being a combination between a fish and human affected additionally by all the filth it grew in. She said she will be able to improve my skin and lungs with it, but it would a minor improvement I would barely notice.

So I let Natria do her things with me, while I focused on getting more things killed and eaten. And in which I got kinda… engrossed. Whenever I felt a little spirit in these small things, I almost subconsciously devoured the instantly. I was trying to fight the feeling, but with little success.

Natria comforted me saying it is the effect of very rapid growth after a long period of time with nothing eaten and the delight, this feeling in general will lessen slightly and I will be able to control it easily with time. She also mentioned that the fulfilling feeling is more or less proportional to the amount of power absorbed compared to the strength of my soul, so in the future the small rats and other monsters of similar strength will taste bland at best, and even the monsters of strength similar to mine will be delicious, but not that… addicting.

That said, the whole thing doesn’t bother me much since I’m not planning on exposing my power to anyone. Speaking of which, my strength, although still painfully far away from Laura or other hunters, has grown by around one third of my strength from the moment I awakened. It’s not large increase, but it already puts the strength of my soul on similar level to ordinary adults who have no particular talents or abilities and just live normally in the city.

During this time Laura was busy and only dropped by a few times to check on me, but had no time to train me in anything. That said, during the fights with zombies and the drowned I noticed something that surprised me greatly, and that was, when I fought, I seemed to know how to move, how to attack, how to exploit weaknesses and basically when I fought, I instinctively more or less knew what to do and often did it almost without a thought.

Natria explained it by the simple fact our Origins are connected, so we affect each other in a subtle, but visible ways. It included the fact I thought almost nothing of killing and was very quickly adapting to my new body and powers. It bugged me a little, but in the end I can do nothing about it and could do nothing to prevent that, so I just accepted it. Though me accepting it and moving on might just be influenced by her Origin.

It also concerns me in a way that Natria got influenced by me. Not that I am worried she got worse comparing to from before I knew her, but it’s just that she was a genuine goddess, and I would probably die without even a bit of knowledge about gods if she didn’t appear. I guess it’s just my mind making me think it’s not really alright for me to influence a goddess just like that, though I am well aware I have no say in this matter in the end.

But, back on tracks, in the fight with the drowned, to which Natria convinced me it will hurt me badly at the very worst, however convincing that sounds, I realized fully what the experience I got from Natria really meant.

I have approached the drowned carefully and was going to attack it when the monster suddenly sprang up and pounced at me. It startled and scared me at first, but before I could think what I was doing, I caught it by its neck, pushed it up as it was midair, ducked down and threw it over me, smashing the monster head first into the cold floor. The impact almost killed the drowned as it laid for a while on the ground, convulsing, before I woke up from my stupor and smashed its neck with my foot, after which it died relatively quickly.

After that I devoured the most delicious soul up to this point, coming from a monster of strength close to mine.

It was only after the whole ordeal that I realized I did something not just I have never practiced, but simply have never even tried or thought of doing. And while it was not a move on high level with hints I could do better, it was definitely not amateurish and I was not even sure I could replay what I just did, not to mention repeat in a real fight. Though, as Natria said, I unknowingly shared part of instincts and reflexes with her, so I will probably surprise myself this way far more than once until I get accustomed to fighting.

This drowned was actually the last monster I have slain, and it was yesterday before I went to sleep.

And today morning I was planning to go to the surface for a while to test my powers against humans. Or at least by race, but not necessarily by how others see the people I am going to test them on.

I just got out of the sewers in the slums and I am looking around in hopes of finding a person whose death would not alert anyone in any way.

The alley is as dirty as always and much more than the one Laura with the kids is living, with filth everywhere and rotten wooden shacks on both sides that could collapse if someone leaned on them. There are a few people sitting on the sides, but it is a quieter part of the slums, unlike the Stall Square, as most call the place where you can buy some moldy bread, spoiled milk, or many other things of similar quality with some luck.

As I walk with my head covered with a brown cloak I received from Laura, I spot a man laying on the ground and staring in the sky. Would resemble a daydreaming, relaxing person if not for lifeless, clouded eyes and being half-naked in only relatively cleaner part of the alley that is still not even close to where I met Angelin.

‘Um, Natria? I am almost certain it is one of the people attacked by the Beholders.’

{Ye, I see. It’s quite interesting how he looks inside. I mean his soul. Go take a look, maybe you’ll be able to deduce what happened to him.} – Natria says in her usual unfazed tone.

I walk forward and sit to the side curled into fetal position and lowered head not to attract any unnecessary attention. I stretch my arm lightly to touch the man and feel his spirit. Natria is able to feel souls from a long distance even through walls and other obstructions and she told me I should be able to do so too, but for now I need to touch the body of anything I want to feel spirit of.

When I touch the man, I immediately open my eyes wide in surprise, not because his soul is very weak for a human of this age and former occupation, as he was most likely a hunter before, but because of the shape of his spirit and soul.

Both were supposed to be mostly round, but are completely different. They are covered in holes and long grooves, the spirit’s overall size at most half of what it was before and the soul’s even lesser, maybe tenth of original size and consequently power. Additionally the parts around the ripped parts of his spirit are mostly black and not blue and green like the rest, and his soul, although all yellow and not black, looks cracked and very fragile.

I think quickly what could have happened to him and I can come up with only one conclusion.

‘That Beholder ate most of his soul and spirit, leaving the body mostly intact, and the man got rescued before it devoured him completely, right?’ – I ask in slightly trembling voice.

{Yup, most likely. If he was in top state he would be not much weaker than Laura in raw power, but his talent seems to be highly offensive unlike hers. By the way, care to guess why the spirit is black around the wounds?}

I think for a while, and an idea comes to my mind when I notice that the holes inside the spirit seem to be much smaller than in the soul.

‘Can spirit regrow by itself?’ – I ask. If it can, it is very likely the black parts have regrown. If not, it was most likely kind of stripped of color along with the neighboring being ripped out.

{Yes, it can, but it is not able to restore itself completely, merely regrow its parts that will need to be developed once again, which more or less answers my question. The black parts are parts of his spirit that have regrown, but are completely not used and make only space for future development. If that man regained proper awareness, he would be in a state comparable to a child that received some of memories of an adult. He would have some knowledge and experiences, but very fragmented and unable to make the best out of them.}

‘I see. Can I, um, yank out his Origin?’ – I ask, looking inside of his soul at an orb with one wide, blue streak floating around and one pink, much smaller than the former.

{Feel free to do so. With your strength it should be possible, but you need to check to be sure. By the way, the thin ring is a thin devil bloodline.}

‘Huh? Devil bloodline?’

{Yup. Devils, or at least I call them as such, are a very wide range of beings similar to human in appearance but naturally aligned with darkness and often corruption. Usually they have horns and thin tail and in general they are similar to humans, with some being weak as this one and some awakening powerful abilities.}

I hesitate for a moment.

{Oh, if you are interested, the devil was most likely his great grandparent, probably long dead with his mediocre bloodline.}

‘Alright.’ – I say.

I am kinda nervous since I am just about to kill a human, however much of a vegetable he looks like.

I take a deep breath and tug his Origin, which stays unmoving. I exert more strength, pulling it with more and more power, and after a few tries, when I feel I am at the limit of my strength I see it budge. After another two pulls the Origin exits his body, floating to my soul. With a bit of awareness left I throw myself at the Origin and devour it, indulging in the addicting taste that fades away all too soon.

When I recompose myself, I notice the man laying with now dead eyes and a slightly colder touch to my hand. Dead as much as he could.

I quickly get up, almost falling over midway, and go away to the closest entrance to the sewers. I barely notice the people I pass, increasing my pace with each second. I run towards the flop and almost jump down, not remembering to close it behind, and run through the sewers to the shelf I used as my bed for last few days.

I jump into a small blanket made from rat pelts sewn together by one of Laura’s kids and curl up on top of it, trying to come to terms with my mind that was not perturbed and yet strangely repulsed by my deed, my delight while eating the human soul and my stomach threatening to reject its content.

{Nea, listen to me, dammit.} – I hear annoyed voice, only now realizing I have completely ignored Natria for a long while.

‘S-sorry.’ – I stutter. – ‘What is it?’

{Take a deep breath by nose, let it out through mouth.} – I listen to her, taking a few shaky breaths and calming myself enough to think more or less clearly. – {I am not going to spew shit about doing good for society or no one caring about his death because we both know it is just excuse. I want you to know you killed him and move on, got it? Remember what I told Laura, Nea. As long as you understand what you do, you are free to do anything. I wouldn’t mind you going around as mass murderer as long as you are aware you are killing, reaping lives and destroying, got it?}

‘Mhm. It’s just… I feel, like I am killing someone, close to me, and at the same time I feel much less than I think I should.’

{I understand that, but don’t misunderstand someone close to you with someone having a bond with you. If your father sold you to slavery, the family bonds would matter no more. If your friend betrayed you, then he was no friend. You need to see people by who they are, not who they seem to be. The man you killed seemed like a person down on luck, almost mindless due to the injury. But do you think he wouldn’t kill you if he was at his peak if he could earn something from it?}

‘I know, but, he was human, and it’s like…’

{Do you know about Vesara?} – Natria interrupted me in firm voice.

‘No…’

{They are a kind of sentient spiritual parasite that coexists with the victim, capable of taking over their mind. What comes to your mind when you hear that?}

I stare dumbfounded for a few seconds, surprised by the question.

‘I guess, an extremely dangerous race, perfect for any kind of infiltration?’ – I end my answer in a questioning tone.

{Well, you’re right. But what do you think would be anyone’s first reaction if they got to know they have such parasite inside them, but merely watching and not interfering in anything, happy and enjoying its life with no plans on doing anything.}

‘Huh? I guess… to get the hell out?’

{Exactly. It wouldn’t matter the Vesara only wants to enjoy its life, but merely the fact they are here and have the abilities they have would freak out almost everyone. What I want to tell you is that it is not mentality that makes common people see you differently, but your abilities. If you want to judge someone properly, though, you should do just the opposite, based on who they are, not what they are, understand? No matter if it is a human, Vesara, spirit, ghost, zombie, dragon, dog, vampire or anything else, I want you to see others not by race, but who they are, understand?}

I stay silent for a while, thinking about her words.

What Natria says is basically that I should never judge a person by their body, race and connected things, but rather what are their thoughts towards me and other people. The idea is great, but…

‘I’ll need to learn to interpret spirit’s emotions then, right? But I will try my best, I see where you are coming from. It is also about you, isn’t it? From what you told me, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could kill me, take control over my body, make me your slave or something and whatnot, right?’

{Well, I can’t deny it. That said, I don’t know if I told you, but there are three things I hate the most. They are betrayal, messing with spirit, especially memories, without someone’s consent and forcing someone to humiliate himself. Maybe there is more, but these three I have seen too many times already. While I know my word wouldn’t mean anything in the end, I can tell you I am not planning to do anything detrimental or harmful to you in long term.}

‘Um, in long term?’

{Well.} – Natria says in a strange tone, as if she was giving an obvious answer she didn’t want to say. – {Let’s say that pain is the greatest motivation to exceed your limits. I keep your sanity and durability in mind though, and I am working in your best interest, but I assume you are aware that strength won’t come out from nowhere and certain limits need certain methods to be broken. Am I clear enough?}

‘Oh, yeah, Master.’ – I am not sure if my grin didn’t turn maniacal or masochistic along the way, though I understand very well what she means. – ‘No pain no gain, hm?’

{Right. Then, Nea, you good? What are the plans now?}

Yup, I’m good. I ponder for a while over her question and realize there is no plan for now apart from getting stronger.

‘Well, what did that human give me? And why did I say that so naturally…?’

{Well, some human bloodline which is not very useful apart from his talent I might be able to do something about. Then the devil bloodline, which is, very interesting, mainly for the reason it for some reason has a few almost intact parts which should be almost impossible going on probability. But that’s extremely bountiful harvest, honestly. You gained far more from this one human than from the two zombies and a drowned you killed before.}

‘Oh, alright.’ – I am a bit conflicted about how efficient killing humans seems. – ‘Anything noteworthy?’

{Not really. What I have here is mostly what you wouldn’t even notice, but if it goes well I will be able to get you a talent similar to what this man had.}

‘Ey, wait… you can do that also with talents?’ – I ask surprised.

{Well, yea. If you are interested, talents are parts of soul based on a part of bloodline I call talent frame. This is basically a part where a person’s talent can be found and that is either completely random or inherited. The exact details get a bit confusing there, but the general idea is that this thing is initially empty and gets bloodline abilities inserted while soul is forming, then it grows the rest as unique talent. Then there is also soul talent and spirit talent that is generally dependent on the talent frame, but… well, that’s s very complicated subject I will skip for now.

{And so, the man had an ability to enhance his body using earth attribute, so in short harden his skin, muscles and bones. I have a surprisingly large part of this thing and I should be able to get you a neat ability until you kill more powerful monsters or people.}

‘Okay, how long will it take?’

{Very quickly. Most likely I will be done tomorrow and the ability will be available to you at this time.}

‘Alright.’

I get up from my blanket.

‘Welp, I guess I should visit Laura. We should be going out in a few days.’

21