Enter Valhalla’s Gates
115 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER FOUR: ENTER VALHALLA’S GATES

 

I started packing the minute I finished eating my last home cooked meal I’d have for a long time. Ricky barely spoke to me while we ate dinner, choosing rather to pick at his meat rations than talk to me. His eyes had been bloodshot red the entire time since I picked my job slot. I could tell he was fighting back tears. The hurt in his heart was obvious. I didn’t mean to cause him pain. I really believed that everything that happened was meant for me to answer my true calling.

 

To become a Superiōrem, an enhanced super soldier. A hero in every sense of the word. Fighting back against the Parasites that continued to ravage our Earth. It was a job that would give me the grand purpose I so desperately searched for, even at the cost of fighting for the same government that took away my family. I could prove my worth regardless of being Destros or, in everyone else’s eye, a Noblesse. I folded and organized spare clothes Ricky gave me, stuffing them into a duffle while I kneeled on the floor. Ricky was back at his desk, working on whatever drew his attention away from my imminent departure. I threw glances now and then, hoping he’d say something to me, anything.

 

“I’m coming back, you know that, right? I swear won’t get myself killed. This could be my chance to do something really great. Don’t you get that, Ricky?” I asked, throwing down my bag with a huff.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about D. Don’t you see me practically jumping for joy here?” Ricky said, more a statement than a question.

 

I dropped my head, hands dragging down my face as I tossed my head back, letting out an exasperated groan.

 

“Don’t give me that shit, Ricky. You should be happy for me. Instead, you’re over there hiding in your little corner moping. I’m not asking for much, man, just a little bit of encouragement here.” I said, rising to my feet.

 

Ricky whipped around his chair faster than any time I’ve ever seen him jump to grab his gun. We came face to face, inches away and probably even closer when it came to who would throw the first punch. Ricky was panting, his jaw clenched as his teeth ground against each other.

 

“Look, man, I’m happy that you got a new life. But I don’t understand why the fuck you would choose to throw that away to become a dog of the state. That shit doesn’t make no sense, bro, and you know it. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten what they did to us, what they did to our families.” Ricky said.

 

A lump gathered in my throat, choking on the words that fought to rise to the surface. I couldn’t believe he really thought that of me. All because I wanted to do something with my life worthwhile.

 

“You know, I thought you, of all people, would understand. I’m not fighting for the Federation, I’m fighting for myself. Yeah, maybe it’s a fucked up, twisted way of doing it, but at least I’ll actually feel like I’m doing something that somebody, somewhere, will give a fuck about. Give a fuck about me!”

 

“And you think I don’t? You don’t think I care about you, bro? How long have you known me? How many times did we get into it when we were at the orphanage?” Ricky said, his shoulders slumped. 

 

“It’s not like that man… our whole life, we’ve been barely hanging on by a thread. You started pushing Ichor, and I took up freelancing as a hacker to help us get by when I wasn’t busting my ass with work. This could be our chance to change all that. For me to change everything for us.” I said, trying to convince Ricky of the significance of what this all meant. 

 

Ricky closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose as he sighed. 

 

“I don’t care about none of that D. Not if it comes at the cost of you losing your life.” Ricky said.

 

“That’s what I’m saying. I won’t. I swear. You know me. You know I’ve been a fighter ever since we were young bloods. I can do this. I know it!” I grabbed Ricky by the shoulders as I gave him a slight shake. “Believe in me, please! I don’t have no one else if I don’t have you. I can do this. Think of how much better we can live if I do. Everyone I can help.” I said.

 

I watched the walls Ricky had built up crumble. He let out a long sigh before pushing away my arms as he walked into the kitchen. Ricky opened up a cabinet under the sink as he pulled out a large shoebox, returning to the living room as he set it on the coffee table. 

 

“I don’t agree with any of this shit.” Ricky sighed, removing the lid to reveal a revolver that looked more like a hand-cannon as he reached to give it to me. “But if I’m going to send my little brother off into the lion’s den, I’m going to make sure he goes strapped. You bring this with you, ya hear? I pray you never have to use it, but it’s better to have and not need than to not have and wished ya did. Just don’t blow your hand off, ok?”

 

I looked Ricky directly in the eyes. I gave him a slow nod, reaching out my hand as it gripped the cold black polymer grip that contrasted against the rest of the weapon. My heart raced just from holding it in my hand as I felt the weight of it settle in my palm. I flipped it over, staring at it from every angle before returning to meet Ricky’s gaze.

 

“I won’t let you down, bro. Thank you.” I said.

 

“That’s the thing D, you’re family. You could never let me down, not never. Family does for family, that’s the code. Now, let’s get you packed up and ready to be on your way. Your train leaves soon. Come on, I’ll give you a ride.” Ricky said, pulling me in for one last hug as his palms slapped my back. 

 

###

 

A few hours later, I arrived at the Superiōrem recruit transportation center. My duffle containing everything I owned draped over my shoulder, nearly scraping the ground. My band was activated. A digital ticket lit the surrounding area in a turquoise hue suspended in my hand. There were no cars that flew overhead, they barricaded the transport center off as a no-fly zone. Ricky hadn’t stayed around to see me off. I couldn’t blame him, though. No matter how many times I reassured him I would be ok, there was no way to be absolutely sure, and we both knew that. Better to leave while the going got good before the atmosphere between us soured.

 

I tucked safely away the oversized revolver Ricky gifted me in the waistband of my pants. Damn near about to drag them down to my ankles. I held up my pants by putting my hands in my pockets while I stared at the bullet train that hovered a few feet above the tracks. The glimmer of its black exterior glistened like expertly cut onyx. I looked around, catching sight of the other recruits who either cliqued up or all together didn’t bother to acknowledge that I was right there along with them. So much for comradeship. I took out a cigarillo I snuck into my duffle, lighting it as I took a deep pull and blew out smoke. My foot rapped against the ground while I held it between my fingers. I stared at the rest of the recruits, wondering what kind of personality they must’ve had to not only score in the top three percent and still decide to choose a career where one walked a tightrope between life and death when they had no need to. Stop that, Davu. If they smell weakness, they’ll rip you apart. Be confident. Remember, fake it until you make it. You might not have scored as high as everyone else, but you still have more than enough physical potential to go around.

 

I continued to observe my future comrades. Many of them were young males, but there were a few females amongst the group. One in particular caught my eye. Her long, dark curls rested against her back. She had skin a couple shades lighter than mine that accentuated her sharp nose, thin lips and chestnut like doe eyes. What did Ricky used to say? A ten out of ten. I got lost in her beauty as I drank in the sight of her just before an obnoxiously loud horn destroyed the fantasy in my mind I had created. The noise rattled my teeth, dragging me back down to earth. It was the signal to board. I picked up my duffle, watching her arrive near the front of the line while I walked with about as much grace and poise that I could muster. All things considered. I flashed my holo-ticket in the face of the Hound that guarded the door of the train. So far, so good. Just keep your head low and nobody will notice that you don’t belong. I placed one foot onto the train when the Hound threw out his arm, blocking my way. Shit. Shit. What did I do wrong? Don’t tell me they know I’m a fake, a fraud! My heart beat to the point I thought I would’ve died of a heart attack right there. I heard those behind me click their tongues.

 

“Many apologies, my lord, but there is a strict no-smoking policy for those boarding for departure. I have to humbly request that you put that out before heading inside.” The masked Hound said.

 

Of course! How could I be so stupid! That should’ve been obvious. I tossed my cigarillo on the ground with as much indignation as humanly possible, stomping out the faint embers. I schooled my face into one of the deadpan expressions I learned from the soap operas I watched.

 

“Satisfied?” I asked in the same tone I practiced with Ricky, narrowing my eyes. 

 

“Many thanks, my lord. You may enter.” 

 

My attempt to recover from the embarrassing moment worked. The hand in my pocket pinched at my thigh hard enough that I thought I’d broken skin.

 

“Hmm.” I snorted, damn near causing myself to sneeze, but I held it in as I rushed inside to escape the situation.

 

What I saw inside of the train made my jaw drop as I froze near the entryway. Extravagant digital chandeliers hung from the ceiling of the train. Servants with holographic masquerade masks paraded up and down the spacious aisles. Carrying plates of food and drink. Those that boarded ahead of me were playing holo-games. I stood there in awe until one of the male recruits that entered after I had bumped into me to make his way inside. 

 

“What are you doing just standing? Can’t you see the rest of us are trying to get inside? Acting like some random Destros off the street.” The boy spat venom.

 

It took a moment for me to register what the boy said. The disrespect he laid at my doorstep left for me to clean up in front of everyone that was watching. Even the brown-skinned girl from before, as I noticed her studying the situation from afar amidst the onlookers, that subtly raised their heads. I couldn’t just stand there and let him all over me. A slippery slope. As Ricky would say. I carefully threw my hand under my shirt, reaching for my safe space.

 

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of us aren’t in such a rush to since we already know what to expect? That others might actually be confident in their ability to make it through the Superiōrem boot camp training. But I see now that never crossed your feeble mind.” I stepped to the boy, who wasn’t that much larger than I was, staring him down.

 

We locked eyes for a brief second. Electricity filling the air between us. I couldn’t break contact first. I needed to act like a Noblesse would, asserting my supposedly God-given dominion from my very first encounter. A good first impression was essential to my survival, to fool others into believing my new identity.

 

“Whatever. Just get out of my way.” The boy scuttled past, tossing his shoulder into mine.

 

I turned to see him travel down the hall into the next car of the train. Our seated crowd of onlookers returned to whatever it was they were doing. No need to spend any more time here. I massaged the handgrip of my revolver with my fingertips as I looked for a place to sit, away from any would-be curious travelers. Snatching a glass from the saucer of one of the passing servants, tossing my duffle into a booth as I took my seat. I nursed my drink. Examining how everyone in the car interacted. From the content of their jokes to the minor physical contact between acquaintances. I paid attention to everyone in the room. There was much for me to continue learning if I intended on solidifying my Noblesse persona. Leaning back into the soft leather cushions of the seat, I pulled my hood down a bit, prepared to get some rest for what lay ahead. Stay ready and you’ll never have to get ready, Davu. It won’t be much longer until everything changes. Make the most of it. This is your chance to break away from everything that’s plagued you. My eyelids got heavy and heavier as I fell asleep, my hands still tucked under my hoodie.

 

###  

 

Sleep came easily. The waking up part, not so much. My eyes flew open as the car of the train was encompassed in red. Alarms going off everywhere as everyone jumped awake. I smacked my face a few times trying to get rid of my grogginess, rising to my feet with my duffle in tow. What the fuck is going on? I reached for the handgrip of my revolver once again, making sure things were where they should be. My nerves settled down when I felt the cool touch of the polymer. I didn’t see any of the servants that previously walked the cars anywhere. Panning the room, all I saw were the startled faces of other recruits. Some had begun shouting, trying to figure out what was going on. Chaos spread amongst the recruits. I kept looking around, searching for a clue, until panels on the ceiling of the train car opened. Small cameras dropped before spewing bright light that condensed into the image of an older woman in a heavily decorated uniform, her hair gelled back tightly into a bun.

 

“Good morning, my heroes of tomorrow! My name is Lieutenant Colonel Campbell, head of the research and development department of the Superiōrem enhancement center and your commanding officer for the next three months. During your stay here before eventually being directed to the Superiōrem training center, you will undergo various intensive modifications. This is to include musculoskeletal and muscular system reformation and nervous system overhaul. I will be honest with you, over sixty percent of you will die during the entire process and those that survive may face the risk of being crippled, however it is my belief that you all being strongest and brightest of our society will exceed all expectations thus making it through. The literal top of the cream of the crop, as one would say. Do not worry, we will do this while recruits are in suspended animation to limit post-traumatic stress disorder and death due to shock from the excruciating pain. I can assure you, my team of doctors and scientists will do everything they can to make sure, as many of you make it one piece. But in the end, it is up to you as individuals to grab hold of your fate.” Lieutenant Colonel Campbell said, pausing for a moment.

 

Wait did she say sixty percent of us? Crippled? She has to be fucking joking, this can’t be real. Not only do we have to fight Parasites, but we have to fight just to survive becoming guinea pigs. No, no, no. I began hyperventilating at the back of the train car while the female officer continued to speak. No, stop it. You chose this Davu. You were the one that wanted to be something greater, someone greater. Everything comes with a price and you’ll pay yours. Don’t be a fucking coward. Pull yourself together. I gave myself a hard smack to the face. Just enough to calm myself down, but not enough to catch the attention of the others. I didn’t want anyone seeing my panic after already making a decent first impression. Otherwise everything that I went through, that Ricky went through would’ve been a waste. The female officer went on with her speech. A smile plastered on her face as she attempted to inform and console everyone. I forced myself to stare at her projection. Burning her image into my mind.

 

“And without further ado my future heroes, I welcome you to Valhalla, the hall of legends, now GET THE FUCK OFF MY TRAIN!” Lieutenant Colonel Campbell said, her face changing from the poster image of calm, contorting into a twisted face of anger and malice.

The past eighteen years of my life flashed by in my mind as I jerked in my boots. I finally realized where I was. My decision had brought me here. I was in Hell. Destined to suffer.

 

 

 

 

Are you excited to see how Davu faces his new challenges?
  • Yes Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love to see the main character suffer! Votes: 1 16.7%
Total voters: 6
5