The Gu Jar
105 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AUTHOR NOTE: Fun fact - a "Gu Jar," is an ancient Chinese legend where in the pursuit of the deadliest poison, someone would place scorpions, centipedes, snakes, and other venomous/poisonous creatures in a jar and have them fight. The poison would then be drawn from the survivor and then used to kill one's enemies. Hope you enjoyed my fun author fact....or not.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ).

Don't mind me, I hope you enjoy this shorter chapter while I work on the next! I appreciate all the support, comments, feedback, reviews, and ratings (help me fight the algorithm) BTW I wanted to give a huge shoutout to everyone for helping me crack the top 100 ranks in two different categories. Thank you!

 

CHAPTER FIVE: THE GU JAR 

 

Hounds swarmed into our train car on the female officer’s command. Their rifles were at the ready, warning us they would shoot if we didn’t comply. I snatched my hand away from my revolver out of fear they might see what I was holding. Shoot first, ask questions later. We departed the train in unison, recruits that remained standing in the mayhem, trampled over those who had fallen. I was lucky. I stayed towards the back of the crowd when the officer gave her speech so they didn’t force me to fight my way through the cluster of bodies. My heart hadn’t stopped pounding since the pandemonium began. I peered at the blur of frightened faces, stained by streaks of tears that lined their cheeks. Grasping at my hoodie as my chest tightened, praying none of the Hounds shot me. Memories of the day my family were murdered in cold-blood raced through my mind, reminded by the familiar scene. I couldn’t imagine what my face appeared like to others at that very moment. I gazed in every direction, half searching for an avenue of escape, half trying to memorize any memorable feature that would tell me where we were.

 

Our mode of transportation had dropped us off in an expansive dome. A cluster of lights hung to the ceiling, illuminating the large chamber. I forced myself to look ahead, eyes on the prize. I had to make it through. At the end of the chamber were multiple entrances guarded by Hounds seated at long tables in front of the entrances. I squinted. Holo-projectors were attached to the impromptu scanning booths. What are those for? No, play it cool D. You already pissed yourself one time too many times in this lifetime. I did my best to remain cool, calm, and collected. Ricky’s three c’s to not getting fucked up. Taking deep breaths, I pushed towards the front of the crowd. Dozens of recruits were scanned at a time, guided into different entrances with strange markings at their entryways. I noticed they herded most recruits into a select few tunnels, unsure of what exactly waited at the end. Hounds continued to shout from every which way as I inched forward by the minute, catching an enchanting, sharp, but moderately sweetened scent. I twisted my head around to see where the scent had come, nearly oblivious to the chaos that ensued all around me.

 

I came face to face with the brown-skinned girl that had caught my attention from before. Compressed in the mass of bodies, I couldn’t help but to gaze into the dark-brown pools that were her eyes. Seeing both fear and passion merged together. Everything that the female officer had said previously was now an afterthought. Damn, she’s gorgeous. If only I had enough time to ask for her name. I pressed my hand against my neck, massaging the lump in my throat as I attempted to speak, facing disappointment when her attention was diverted elsewhere for obvious reasons. Both of us reached our prospective booths. She was sorted and directed to her lane much faster than I was while I arrived in front of the Hound who reached out to scan my life-band.

 

“Once you have been scanned and sorted, follow all guidance given as you proceed to the next station.” A feminine voice said through the metallic mask with indifference.

 

I watched as my information popped up onto the holo-screen in front of me while I read each column. Noblesse? Yup, still there. Huh, SS? The corner of my mouth turned up. Confused by the strange new abbreviation located after my Superiōrem job slot. I raised my hand to speak up to be greeted with the butt of a Hound’s rifle to my back as they rushed me away from the line and into a tunnel at the far end of the sorting pool. I was surprised to see that no one else had been ushered away alongside me. Again, I was alone. Two Hounds stood on each side of me as they grabbed me by the shoulders, carrying me into the tunnel like a rag-doll. Unable to resist their enhanced strength.

 

“Wait, what’s going on? Come on, don’t be like that. I’m sure it would be ok if you told me what’s going, a hint maybe? I said, hold on, I demand you to tell me what’s happening.” I said, questions coming one after the other in between the orders I barked with false bravado.

 

They dragged me into the bright light at the end of the tunnel. The sheer white light blinded me. Ending up in a completely white tiled room with a single table. I was inside while they locked the door from the outside. I rushed to the door, banging and kicking at where the hinges should be, though there were none.

 

“What do you want me to do? You can at least tell me that, can’t you?” I asked, spinning in a circle, eyes darting around the room.

 

A loud audible beep went off, coming from speakers stuck in the upper corners of the room. A male voice escaped the stereo system.

 

“Good morning, recruit. My name is Staff Sergeant Martinez and I will guide you through the rest of your in-processing. Please hold all questions for another time as we are on a tight schedule. From now on, you will be referred to as Recruit SS-13. As there are no further questions, you may begin undressing. There is a pair of black spandex shorts laid out on the table directly behind you. You are to put those on Recruit SS-13. Do you understand?” Staff Sergeant Martinez asked.

 

I choose to become a super soldier to fight in the war against the parasites and here I am being told I have to get butt-naked to do it. It can’t get no better than this, I tell ya. I let out a deep groan as I began undressing. I muttered curses under my breath, hoping Staff Sergeant, whatever his name was, didn’t hear. As I stood there in not so modest wear, I gathered the pair of spandex.

 

“I’m done, Staff Sergeant.” I said, shivering in the cold, sterile room. “What do I do now?”

 

Another loud beep came shortly after.

 

“You are to place your belongings into your bag and place them under the table. They will be given back at the end of the three-month period. You may choose to remain seated on top of the table or stay standing.” 

 

“Does it matter which one I pick?” I asked, trembling as I tried to clench my fists to gather heat after tossing my duffle under the table as instructed.

 

“No, it does not Recruit SS-13, but I highly recommend being seated for the rest of the time.”

 

I snorted. He must’ve thought I was some soft ass Elite. Well, he has another thing coming. I tucked my hands under my armpits as I began walking the circumference of the room. 

 

“I’ll stand then.” I said. 

 

A brief pause ensued. I crossed my arms together against my chest, doing my best to keep what little warmth I had close.

 

“Understood. All Hounds be advised Recruit SS-13 has opted to remain standing. Be advised. Now that that is finished, I’d like to say one thing.”

 

“What’s that?” I asked.

 

“Good luck and don’t die.” The voice said.

 

I could hear a last and final beep. The vents turned on as they came to life.

 

“Why would you even say that? Don’t you know that’s bad lu—.” I said. 

 

Pink smoke flooded the room that I was in while I fell to the floor without resistance. My eyes fluttered open and shut. The room spun in different directions. Knock-out gas. I was almost dead to world, hearing one last thing before my eyes shut for good.

 

Recruit SS-13 has shown to have highly favorable genetic and mental compatibility with the ‘Scolopendra Subspinipes’ project. Recruit will therefore undergo allotted physical modifications in line with the project directive in hopes of success. They will be the first subject to undergo said procedure, thus they will be carefully monitored for the duration of their stay to ensure survival and maximum functionality——.” Were the last words I heard, not exactly the most comforting things to say, but that didn’t stop me from drifting into the land of dreams and nightmares.

 

###

 

It was almost impossible to tell time. To count the minutes, hours, or even days that had passed. Darkness surrounded me, neither cold nor warm. Opening my eyes, a flash of pain struck me, an overload of light burning my retina. I tried to move, but my body faced resistance from my hands and feet. They attached wires and tubes to each limb and area on my body that I could see, while a constant rhythmic beeping noise carried on. It was as though I was stuck in a tub of molasses with metal restraints that I couldn’t get out of, no matter how hard I fought. I was breathing, but not through my nose, which was strange to me since I had no trouble feeling air in my lungs. I feel so……weak…..tired….is that a shadow? Must be one of those mad scientists ole girl was talking about before. My eyes that shuttered open for a brief second, shut once again, but not before I heard voices that sounded far away going back and forth.

 

Recruit SS-13 was tested for fast and slow-twitch muscle composition placing in the ninety-sixth and eighty-ninth percentile, respectively. A hormonal panel done on Recruit SS-13’s bloodwork showed Recruit has above average testosterone levels. This is in line with the ‘SS Project,’ objective, which suggests an acute heightened sense of aggression will become more pronounced once further gene therapy and body enhancements have been completed. When Recruit SS-13 first arrived, he was five foot eight, roughly eighty-four kilograms. After two months, Recruit SS-13 is now six foot five, one hundred and thirty-four kilograms. Further observation is necessary to determine whether Recruit SS-13 shall be deemed a success.” A woman said, or at least what I assume is a woman.

 

I listened the entire time, confused why so many tests had to be done. Thinking too hard wouldn’t do me anything good, though. I was already so tired. Sleep. Yeah, I need some more rest. Just go back to sleep D. My world returned to darkness. The woman’s soft voice making its appearance once again.

 

Recruit SS-13 may prove to be the most aggressive predator out of this pool of subjects.” They said.

 

Giving way to total silence as my consciousness faded once more, losing count of exactly how many times it had been. I didn’t care for whatever compliments the scientist had given, I just wanted to sleep. More sleep.

 


###

 

One last thing! Since this is primarily a military sci-fi, units of weight and measurement will in the metric system. 

134 KG = 295 LBs

 

What do you think "SS" stands for after reading the author note?
  • It's just a cool abbreviation Votes: 2 33.3%
  • An actual name Votes: 2 33.3%
  • A type of animal Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Who knows, who cares Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 6
5