The Gu Jar PT.2
94 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER SEVEN: THE GU JAR PT.2 

The scientist that spoke to me told the truth. They delivered my meals on time every day, like clockwork. Right when my hunger had reached the point that it drove me crazy on some sick food torture shit. They sent in tigers, lions, bears, gorillas, any and every animal I could name. One apex predator after another. Each one was more enhanced than the last, which made the fight to survive that much harder. The one thing that stayed the same was that every one of them fuckers tried to eat me. Sucked for them since they all ended up being eaten. What felt like days flashed by, covered in blood, shit, and grime. Which reminded me of my days back in the Destros districts, when Ricky and I would eat leftovers out of dumpsters.

 

I acclimated to the slaughter fest, smoother than I would’ve thought. Relishing in the fight to survive as I devoured my latest kill. I had changed inside and out. But I guess the more correct thing to say would be rather that they had changed me. Nothing stopped me from embracing the violence. I needed to. My survival depended on it. I hardly recognized myself when I looked into the mirror. The face that stared back looked like mine, but everything else was different. A siren went off, this time the usual flashing lights that would accompany it didn’t go off. Something I was thankful for since I still couldn’t bear the obnoxious light and noise.

 

“Good afternoon Recruit SSM-13. Your tests all came back normal, so there should be no lingering issues or abnormalities. There may be some dissonance between recognition and reaction, but that eventually fades with training and experience. We direct you later tonight to the gathering hall to meet your fellow recruits to ship off. Your escorts will arrive shortly. We wish you all the best of luck once you officially arrive at the training base.” The voice said. 

 

I didn’t respond. It wasn’t like they would answer questions I asked either way. I sat there, waiting for my chaperones to make their appearance. Thousands of thoughts and terrible ideas of what laid in store for me shifted through my mind. I wasn’t afraid to admit that I was worried about what the training would be like. How I’d get along with the others once we congregated together. The sliding of the far door soon interrupted my thoughts. Metal armored soldiers stood on both sides. Hounds entered my space with their guns once again at the ready and aimed at me. Weirdly enough, they didn’t scare me. Yes, I still had nightmares of what happened to my family that night, but now I knew instinctively that none of them were my match. At least physically. The Hound that entered first motioned for me to get up with his rifle.

 

“Get dressed Recruit SSM-13. It’s time for you to depart.” They said, tossing me a compact briefcase. 

 

I caught it staring at the Hound in front of me. Guessing how much time I would have to rip out their throat before the others began shooting. No, that isn’t why you’re here. Focus on the goal. Don’t waste Ricky’s time and effort. I calmed myself for now, but the rage was still there, locked deep down. I dropped to a knee as I opened the case with a click. Inside, I found a black spandex bodysuit and a small metallic case with the letters ‘SS’ along with the numerals for thirteen engraved on the exterior. Curious as my fingers touched the indention in the metal, I popped it open to find multiple stacked rows of cigarillos along with a small typed-up note. A pungent odor radiated off the leaf wrappings. I picked up the note, reading it as I began tossing on the spandex suit. They marked each shoulder with the same letter and numerals.

 

To Recruit SSM-13,

 

Inside this case, you will find what we in the R&D department have dubbed ‘Tranqs,’ whenever you feel the stimulus of the world around you to have become too much. You may ingest one of these to relax your nerves.

 

I finished reading the note at the same time I had slid on the last sleeve of my suit. A snug fit. I turned to the soldiers that had me encircled. Staring down at the one from before. 

 

“Let’s try not to cause any unnecessary trouble. Recruit SSM-13.”

 

I won’t start anything I can’t finish.” I said, sliding the metallic case of cigarillos into my pocket as I left my cell for the first time in over a week.

 

“We’ll see about that.”

###

 

They led me down a dozen fucking hallways that seemed to lap over the other as I walked into the gathering hall, which ended being the same auditorium that everyone arrived in. Entering the open room, I saw a gathering of recruits also dressed in the black bodysuits that floated around. Most stayed not too close nor too far from the main body of the group. That there were substantially less that were leaving than had arrived didn’t go unnoticed. I wondered if she had made it. Thinking about whether the brown-skinned beauty survived the bloody crucible we all went through. I glanced around the room. My enhanced vision allowed me to sift past dozens of faces, catching every minor detail. I made my way to the crowd. Taking caution that no one tried to take a bite of me as I approached. Not knowing whether the other recruits could keep their sanity. Granted, I doubted I had actually kept my own. I passed recruits of different shapes, sizes, and colors, many of them ended up being unrecognizable. Some were giants and others were just above average. All were beasts I’d say were far from what I’d call human anyone, but I wasn’t one to talk. I shoved past the proverbial best and brightest of the UNF. Every one of my hairs was on edge, detecting the potential danger all around.

 

My neck twisted from side to side as I searched for her. Unsure why I even cared so much about someone whose name I really didn’t know. I continued ahead, greeted by grunts, hisses, and other strange sounds my fellow recruits made. Unable to find her and worried I’d miss the signal to depart, I gave up. I turned around to escape the crowd that sent my nerves on edge. Encountering a sickeningly sweet scent that reminded me of raw honey as I moved my head to see where it came from. My eyes came across her easily distinguishable black curls that no longer reached as far as before down her back as they did before. Something in my body told me that the intoxicating smell came from her. Drawing me closer and closer as I reached for her shoulder. I found out real quick that was a bad move as she spun around, throwing a lightning fast uppercut to my jaw that I blocked by the smallest margin. We came face to face for the second time. Her eyes locked on to mine as I searched her face for whatever kept making me think of her.

 

“I don’t know who you are, but I’d appreciate it if you’d stop following me. I didn’t come here to be ogled by boys who can’t keep their dick in their pants and I don’t care to be stalked.” She seethed.

 

I recognized the anger that flashed in her eyes. It wasn’t hate, but it was damn near close. Hopefully, I could salvage the situation, though. Couldn’t let such a beauty get away. I didn’t know how I’d seal the deal, but I might convince her we should be friends. That we could watch each other’s backs, especially in an unknown place filled with strangers.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry about that. I shouldn’t have crept up on you from behind like that. That was my bad. I swear I didn’t mean to creep you out, it’s just ….something about you kept catching my eye, you know. I figured I should try to take a chance and talk to you at least once.” I said trying to prevent her from splitting my jaw.

 

She maintained eye contact. Which made me anxious since I couldn’t tell whether she was interested or if she’s going to tear my windpipe out. I let go of her fist as I took a quick half step back to give her some personal space. However, I doubted I could make another Superiōrem recruit afraid of me in the first place after what we had been through the last week.

 

“Let me make one thing clear. I’m not here to make friends and even if I was, I wouldn’t want to be friends with an entitled Noblesse prick with an over-inflated sense of worth. Yeah, I saw your class. We all did. No use trying to hide it. So you can kick rocks.” The brown-skinned girl said, giving me the bird.

 

“Ok cool, no, I totally understand. We aren’t friends, for now at least. But we’re at least comrades, so could I get your name for professional reasons?” I said, shrugging, trying to play it cool like Ricky would’ve.

 

That got me a weird look of borderline disgust from her. I can already tell things were going left and fast, but I didn’t want to give up. I had to make the best of it. The sweet honey smell in the air wouldn’t let me leave.

 

“Maybe instead of worrying about a girl you’ve never even had a conversation with until now, how about you use your last few brain cells to focus on staying alive? You might pretend to be purposefully oblivious to everything around you, but everyone’s staring at us and, unlike you, I don’t want the negative attention. So do me and yourself a favor and stay away from me —-.” She leant to the left a bit, looking at my shoulder. Recruit SSM-13.”

 

Recruit? I guess that was her way of playing hard to get. That or she just might really hate my guts. I couldn’t be sure, or I might just be in denial. Sad to say it had the opposite effect, which made me even more interested. It was something about her that made me want to be in her presence even more. I didn’t want to stop trying to get to know her. This time it was me who leaned in, looking at her suit’s shoulder markings. Reading the combined yellow letters and numerals.

 

Recruit VV-6? Wonder what that stands for. Well, either way I’ll leave you alone for now, but I’d bet my credits you’ll eventually fall for my supposed entitled Noblesse charm by the end of all this. I’m sure I can prove you wrong about me.” I made a mock bow.

 

“I’d rather swallow straight razors.” She said as she turned around, leaving me there.

 

The others snickered and laughed at my expense. I didn’t give a fuck about their opinion. While we waited for a signal to board, I escaped back to the outer ring of the group. Which didn’t take long as it came as another holo-vid from the Lieutenant Colonel herself. Crazy bitch. 

 

Greetings once again, future heroes. I hope your stay brought some insight into the months to come. I strongly urge everyone to remain steadfast in their goals and resolve for the next nine months. The trials will be difficult, but I assure you, with the modifications done to your mind and bodies, you all will have a fair chance at survival and better yet, graduation.” Lieutenant Colonel Campbell said, her hologram clicking out.

 

The siren came next as we all boarded the train to our next destination. None of us fought to get on this time as we formed a line in an orderly fashion. I didn’t see any of the servants that were initially on the train on our way to the R&D department, but that was to be expected. We didn’t need the coddling anymore. I watched as everyone took a seat to themselves, cautious of anyone that got too close. I took mine towards the back of the train car. I only hoped that the trip didn’t take long or I wouldn’t know what to expect when all the passengers felt a little antsy. With my arms crossed, I stared out the window, counting the trees that zoomed by. I had never seen the countryside. It was relaxing seeing the serene sight for the first time. The unharvested land and clear skies devoid of the cars that flew overhead. Bringing back memories my father used to tell me of the old country back in Yoru. The way they farmed, living off the land with the help of technology. Before everything changed….before everything went to Hell. Much like where my life was headed now.

 

###

 

The train didn’t take nearly as long as we arrived in only a few hours at our next destination. Wary of what might happen next, everyone sat upright, mentally prepared for whatever may come. Strangely enough, there wasn’t a holo-vid this time. The doors opened remotely, exposing a line of soldiers in different colored heavily armored suits. It wasn’t hard to guess who, what they were. Superiōrem. I felt my lungs fill up with air as I took a deep breath. It was my first time seeing them in flesh and blood. Soldiers that were made of the stuff of legends shown to the citizens of the UNF. We stood in the doorway of the train car, unsure of what to do next. I was unsure of what to do next. Did they expect us to rush out or were we to wait in an orderly manner? I didn’t spend too much longer deliberating, as the answer came soon enough. An aged, tall, blonde, green-eyed Superiōrem that stood in the middle of the line-up stepped forward with enough confidence that you’d thought he ran the joint. He probably did, though. 

 

“I will not waste anyone’s time giving a lengthy introduction and I honestly don’t care to. All I have to say to you recruits is that over the course of the next nine months, my cadre and I will mold you from savage beasts into soldiers. The elites. The Superiōrem. But before any of that can all happen, we must equip you with the tools and skills to do more than just survive. We will start with the tools. Everyone, attention!” The green-eyed Superiōrem said.

 

I didn’t know what it was, yet for some reason, the moment he said what he said, my body snapped into position. Ready and waiting for the next order to come. As did everyone else. He commanded respect, through nothing but his charisma alone.

 

“Let’s go get you hunters geared up. Many of you may have already noticed the differences in our armor. I can guess that most of you are curious, however all questions will be held so that they may be answered by the actual experts. You’ll also find out what those abbreviations on your shoulders mean and how that information might benefit. Other than that, know that your armor will not only protect you, it will know you inside and out and it will show to the world who you really are. As long as it doesn’t tear you to shreds first.” The green-eyed Superiōrem sneered.

 

The Superiōrem’s last statement hung off his lips like a death sentence. My death sentence

 

 

5