0005 – Reaching the Town
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I helped check all the belongings of the 2 travellers. Me and Gilda tucked Robert cozily with a comforter for leg in the backside of the carriage. We started riding again when the sun was red in color. As we hurried for the town I asked "what happened back there?"

Sighing deeply Robert said "it's all my fault, we started our journey late because of me and hastily marched towards the town. During this, I Didn't realize a sudden depression on the road and led my carriage wheel through it. The wheel bumped in and I, sitting casually on the seat, wasn't able to maintain my balance. I fell on a weird angle and landed on my feet sideways, thus injuring it."

"I wasn't able to do anything, other than cry. Thank you." said Gilda in a solemn voice. Thinking about this I've heard her speak for the first time, her voice is sweet.

"So when did you leave your home?" asked the calm Robert. He is pretty calm about it, is this normal or not? Let me call a bluff. I mustered my strength and said "I left as soon as I turned 12. You know, just to see the world and get stronger." as I laughed anxiously. 

"Nice. I still remember being 12 and running away without money, to see the world and become big. Kids really are amazing." said Robert reminiscing about the past. I looked at Robert buying my bluff, but still he caught me looking confused.

"Oh you're young, I totally forgot. You didn't run away, you were allowed to run away by your parents. You see when you turn 12, you become an adult and the majority of kids do the same, so that they can join guilds at the age of 13." said Robert as I calmly listened. 

"So is there any specific reason to travel to Draka?" asked Robert while looking lying down with closed eyes. I felt like I'm being interrogated but still I answered him honestly "I've heard it's a big town, with a low crime rate and frequented by adventurers and merchants. Then there are guilds and it's on a cheaper side for starters." I said.

"Hmm, you've done your research. I hope the town doesn't disappoint you. Gilda let's ride." said Robert. Gilda whipped the lashes and the horses increased their speed. As the last speck of light was about to fade we saw a wall in the distance. "30 minutes," said Gilda.

"Looks like it's about time, Gilda decrease the speed and Dave if you may, please come back and help me up." said Robert with a sense of excitement. I carefully went to the back and helped him up. "You're lucky you're traveling with me." With an obviously dumbfounded expression I looked at Robert. "just see". As I waited anxiously, we reached the walled entrance to the town.

****

As we reached the entrance, even the last speck of sunlight was absent. The only light available were the lamps lit by the walled entrance. "identification and reason of travel" said a coarse and husky voice. Holding a lamp, a 6 foot tall person with bulky steel armor stepped out of the shadows. He had a stern face with a little beard, but his intimidation was only of a guard and not of a warrior. Gilda pulled out her card and said "This Is Robert and his daughter Gilda, here for business purposes."

At this introduction another guard stepped up, as he did that the previous guard lowered his head and took 3 steps back. This guard was not normal; he was tall at 6feet 5 inches with a bulky body. His face was of rectangular shape with a heavy beard coming down the chin. He had a scar from his left eye to his lower lip, with an intimidating aura he came towards our carriage. With a deep husky voice he said "show yourself Robert. Where are you hiding?"

"Master Lance Hanks is stern and straight forward as always. Happy to see you." said Robert as I tried to lift him up. As Lance Hanks saw Robert, he understood something's wrong and shouted towards his underlings "We have a medical emergency and inform the doctor." Robert sighed a little and said with a little smile "thank you master Lance"

We entered the checkpost of the town with several guards and a doctor in tow. The doctor was keeping a check on Robert's foot. We reached the doctors clinic and got Robert's foot checked.

Robert got a plaster for his foot, though he didn't break a bone, he demanded a fast recovery, so, the doctor planted a 14 days plaster in his leg. After getting the plaster, the 3 of us, with Lance and other guards went towards the guards station for what they called "welcome tea".

We got up in our carriage with 1 guard and Lance in tow. The carriage started moving when Lance asked "what happened?" Then Robert reiterated everything about the incident and even how I came to them. Lance raised an eyebrow at me suspecting me. But Robert, knowing what Lance was doing, stopped him by saying, "I believe he is in the clear and was there by chance."

At Robert's statement Lance humphed and said to me "I am Lance Hanks, second commander of the town guards. Nice to meet you." As I grabbed the hand Lance forwarded to me for a handshake, I said "nice to meet you. I am Dave Martin, a wandered on journey."

"Do you have your identification?" asked a curious Lance to me. As I was about to answer Robert intervened "No, he just left his home and knows nothing. We have to do the identification." As Robert said that, I felt a pressure removed from me as I saw Lance, he said "All right your identification will be done at the station. 

****

We reached the station and sent Gilda to the ladies room. Then Lance, Robert, me and 2 other guards went to the identification room. There was a stone in the middle of the room. Cuboid in shape, it was as big as my hand and glowed a faint blue light. "Put your hand on it," said Lance. 

As I did that Robert being given a seat explained,  "this is a soul stone, used to detect the color of souls of people. It tells whether they have a malicious intention or are friendly."

I was unable to say anything, I was dumbfounded with the usage of the stone. Being a jeweller I always had gemstones in my hand, but when I touched the soul stone, I felt like I had touched something unique. I was unable to express how good I felt discovering a new stone, other than sapphires, emeralds and numerous other stones from earth. I unconsciously tried to pick it up, but was unable to do so.

Seeing me Lance laughed and said “you’re the first one to do that, otherwise everyone is scared of the stone but you are the first one who tried to pick it up. You won’t be able to pick it up, it’s embedded in the table. Now hurry up and answer my questions.”

“Did you help Robert with malicious intent? Have you committed a crime? Are you a spy?” Said Lance with a completely different aura, trying to intimidate me as much as possible.

With my hand on the stone I cleared my mind and replied with an earnest voice “No, I didn’t help Robert having malicious intent. I helped them because they needed it. No, I have not committed a crime. Moreover I am not a spy of anyone or any country.” As I showed my honesty through my words, the soul stone turned light green in colour.

It was a beautiful colour and I was awestruck seeing the stone turn this beautiful. Then I noticed the other members being shocked as well. “This is absurd” “ how can this be?” Said 2 guards in unison.

Robert laughed heartily and replied to my confused face “this color of soul stone means very pure, it’s purer than that of an infant. So, your result is that you are more innocent than an infant.”

I smiled a little and got back to the stone, to embody it’s Color in my mind as I thought it would be the last time I see it.

“Dave,” said Robert, looking at me. As I turned towards him he continued “I will be going to my residence, you see I am the younger brother of the town’s lord. So, I won’t be able to take you with me. But to repay your kindness, let me do one more thing.” As he said that a guard came in with a letter in hand.

“This is the letter of recommendation addressed to the owner of the best inn in this town. The guard will accompany you to the inn and explain everything to them on behalf of me. also, take this” he said, handing me a leather pouch which jingled a little. 

I opened the pouch to see 5 gold coins in it, I got embarrassed and said to Robert “this is too much, your recommendation is all I want, please don’t give this to me.” As Robert didn’t show any sign of taking it back. Thus bowing, I said “thank you for the kindness and the escort to the inn. I hope to see you again.” As I exited the room with the guard I saw one of the guards coming towards me and handed me a rectangular card similar to a debit card which had my name “Dave Martin” on it. I shoved it in my pocket and left the clinic. 

There I saw Gilda.

“Thank you young miss, for riding me to the town. I shall now take my leave.” Looking at her she smiled and said “the pleasure is all mine, let’s meet again in future.” As I bowed and was about to leave a voice called for me “Dave, wait”.

I turned to see “Master Lance, how can I help you?” I asked, looking at the tall man.

“Hope to see you again in the town. Have a good day.” With a short goodbye he turned again and went inside the clinic.

I turned towards the guard and said “shall we go to the inn, mr.” At almost 830 pm, I walked towards the inn with the guard as my guide.

1