Chapter 9 – Burden of Responsibility
290 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A proper chain of command is amongst the most crucial things for an army to have. Even so, not everyone was suited for command, or competent enough to command. For many, just the weight of the responsibility, that the lives and deaths of so many depended on them, was a pressure they found too much to bear." - Derrick Husvarl, Grand General for the Jarldom of Gulski, circa FP 196.

Later that night, representatives from every group that survived amongst the Free Lances' personnel gathered together in a private room in the former barracks their people lived in.

 

There were not that many of them there. Reinhardt was present, representing what remained of the first company. Nicole represented their surviving scouts. Salicia was a frequently seen face in such meetings as she had represented their archers for a couple years now.

 

The survivors of second company had pushed Grünhildr to serve as their representative. Old Ursula was present, representing the support staff. The dependents had asked Elfriede to represent them so she was present as well, seated besides her husband.

 

Hogarth represented the craftsmen and artisans amongst the camp followers, while Ylisera represented those who had volunteered to fight with the rest. the eight of them gathered there to make the decisions that might very well determine their future.

 

"Everyone who should be here, is here. We should begin, lad," said Hogarth after he closed the door to keep the discussion private. The old blacksmith took his seat across from his adopted son, his beard and clothes still partially covered with soot.

 

He, along with the other blacksmiths, had been busy at work the past two days, as they adjusted or repaired many of the salvaged equipment from the enemies. He had come to the meeting straight from the smithy, still covered with sweat and soot.

 

"Right," said Reinhardt as he surveyed those present in the room with his eyes and nodded. It was traditional for the representative of the first company - Aunt Ingrid - to chair such discussions, but now that responsibility fell to him. "We all still got plenty to do, so I will keep it brief and not mince words."

 

Everyone else listened closely to what he was about to say.

 

"Uncle Angus, that is, Graf Harscape, called for me just an hour ago. The 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th regulars survived the ambushes that hit them, and had combined their forces with those of the Legion's and the Brewers' survivors," he stated calmly, as the good news infused some much needed hope to the expressions of those present. "They should reach Fort Ascher by midnight or tomorrow morning at the latest, and still number approximately four thousand."

 

That brought some murmurs to the group. The return of those forces would place their available forces at approximately five thousand, out of the fifteen thousand they had started out with. Unlikely to be enough to take the battle to the enemy, but if they were to hunker down in the fort and wait for reinforcements, plausibly enough to survive this mess.

 

"Once all our forces are gathered, uncle Angus will summon the representatives for all the mercenary groups to discuss our plans going forward," he added, the information technically confidential, but the Graf had told him anyway since he considered him like family. "And to re-negotiate contracts where required."

 

Grumbles sounded from most everyone, although the mood settled into reluctant acceptance soon enough. It was not uncommon to renegotiate contracts with mercenaries when the situation changed as drastically as what happened to them.

 

"Rest assured that everything we did until then would still earn us full pay as per the previous contract," said Reinhardt to some relieved sighs.

 

"Now, to the second issue. We need to choose a new representative and commander for tomorrow's meeting. None of the senior command staff made it out alive, which pares the choice down to one of us," he said solemnly as everyone looked down and gave a few seconds of silence for the departed. "Any volunteers?"

 

"Count me out," said Grünhildr immediately as she shook her head. "I'm not cut out for telling people what to do. I've got more use just going out there and chopping some assholes up."

 

"Me too," said Ylisera mere moments later. "I may know my way with a blade, but I ain't got any idea how to command people, 'less it was to arrange a big, messy orgy or something."

 

Old Ursula similarly just shook her head and declined when Reinhardt looked her way.

 

"Why don't you do it, Rein?" asked Salicia from the side, the woman's one good eye looking straight at him. "You got what's left of the first company back here without losing another man. That's worth something."

 

"I agree," said Nicole from her seat on the other side of the table. "We were hunted all the way here, but boss kept us safe and alive. I'd vote for him as our leader."

 

Reinhardt looked at the two women in surprise but felt Elfriede's hand on his arm. She just nodded, as if telling him to just shut up and accept it. With her being blind and completely inept at strategizing, naturally she was not even in the running in the first place.

 

"Aye, lad. The folks we got left would also expect you to lead them onwards now that Ingrid's gone," said Hogarth, his adoptive father. Reinhardt was an orphan who had been adopted by Hogarth and his late wife - Ingrid's older sister - when he was still an infant. "The Lances had always been a bit of a family business anyway. Ingrid was captain just like her dad before her, and since none of her kids took to the trade… that leaves you for the next generation."

 

One look around the room and Reinhardt noticed the nods Grünhildr, Ylisera, and Ursula gave in agreement to Hogarth's words. He felt as if a weight settled down on his shoulder… and in the pit of the stomach, as it dawned on him that they were serious.

 

That his decisions would now decide the future of the company, whatever it may be.

 

"All right then. I will represent us to tomorrow's meeting," he said with a deep sigh. "I just hope we all will not end up making me call the shots."

 

"Eh, worst case, we go down swinging~" replied Grünhildr a bit too cheerfully to his words.

If you enjoy this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure, thank you! Or help support the author by leaving a tip!

Read ahead on my Patreon! For 5$ a month patrons will gain early access of up to 10 chapters ahead, or for 10$ a month, gain early access of up to 25 chapters ahead! 

Or you can subscribe to all my stories and get a 10% discount on the price!

For every 15 cumulative new patrons in the Free Mage/Free Archmage/Magus/Archmagus tier I get in a month, from the next month onwards the respective patreon tiers will receive +5/+10 chapters permanently, until we reach my usual 25/55 chapters ahead!

Join the Discord for silly stuff and chat with us!

13