Chapter 457 – Opportunity for Work
34 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Most people have a tendency to wait until an opportunity is presented before them before they attempt to grasp it. Enterprising people see what could be an opportunity and actively work to turn it into one on their own.” - Garth Wainwrought, Professor of Socioeconomy for the Levain Institute of Higher Learning, circa 621 FP.

“Order everyone to deploy. We finally got one that strayed close enough,” commanded Reinhardt all of a sudden that afternoon. It had been two weeks since the battle west of Kolitschei had begun, and the Free Lances – other than that one assassination attempt and the enemy attempts to infiltrate through the forest – had been idling in the forest south of the battlefield over that time, as they had yet to find an opportunity to make more contributions.

 

In the past three days since the enemy commander had a change of heart, however, Reinhardt noticed that there was more pressure being applied to the southernmost end of the defenses, at the edge of the ramparts where reinforcements could only come from further north. That area was also the closest to where his people were stationed.

 

Reinhardt – with Erycea’s help – noticed that one of the enemy commanders had ridden closer to that region just earlier, probably intending to personally command the assault to break through the area’s defense. The first layer of defense had been weakened quite a bit, so it wasn’t really an unusual action for a commander to take.

 

After all, Reinhardt wagered that there would be military merits and rewards in consideration for the first officer to cause a breakthrough in the defenses.

 

What mattered for the Free Lances, though, was that the enemy commander had positioned himself close enough for them to attempt a capture. Reinhardt was not so arrogant to think that his mercenaries – no matter how skilled – could fight their way through a thousand paces’ worth of enemy soldiers in formation and get away with it, but half that amount was definitely something he would consider.

 

After only a few minutes, he found the company’s platoon leaders – other than Soledad who was working with their allies’ cavalry – arrayed before him while their respective platoons made their final preparations. He nodded and gave a smile at their quick readiness, and immediately set about to hand out commands to everybody who would participate in the assault.

 

“Mischka, your platoon will be the main driving force for this. I want you to push hard towards our target, as quickly as you can manage,” said Reinhardt to the large therian matron, to which she nodded. That sort of role was one she was accustomed to. “Attempt to bypass the actual target’s location and focus on clearing out his guards and surrounding troops.”

 

“Friede, you’ll follow behind Mischka. You’re responsible for capturing the target, alive,” Reinhardt continued as he addressed Elfriede. “If you find someone who might be an adjutant or the like near the primary target, you can grab them too while you’re at it. You know what to do with the rest.”

 

“Consider it done,” replied Elfriede with a cold smile.

 

“Alvaro, Astrid, both of you take your platoons and follow behind Friede and Mischka. Your task will be as the rear guard. Once they capture the target, you take over their position and hold the enemies back as we retreat,” Reinhardt continued down the line. The two platoons he named were better off fighting in formation, and that made them more suitable for holding actions. “I’ll be your backup in case it’s needed.”

 

“Grün, you and Aly will work together and lead a charge on Mischka’s left flank. Arne, you and Ery take the right flank. All of you will be responsible for pushing through and cutting off the target’s retreat, and to hold the sides as we retreat. I expect your platoons to work together as we practiced, understood?” said Reinhardt as he continued allocating roles to his subordinates.

 

“We’ll get things done as ordered, Boss,” replied Grünhildr with a wide smirk on her face. She had missed out the big fight back in Levain since her platoon was operating near her hometown for the duration of that conflict, so she was quite excited to finally get to rampage again.

 

“Good, I know you will,” said Reinhardt with confidence. Out of the four platoons, Arne’s and Alycea’s were newer and less experienced, which was why he paired them with more experienced platoons to take up the slack. “Sal, I want you watching from the edge of the forest. If the target looks like he plans to run, shoot his horse down. If he still tries to run after that, shoot his legs. Keep him in place until we get there.”

 

“He won’t be going anywhere, boss,” replied the one-eyed archer with a smile.

 

“Alva, Branka, you two take your platoons and provide ranged support. Aim for the enemies at the sides. Those at the front, they can deal on their own,” Reinhardt said to the leaders of the company’s two archer platoons. “You two and Sal should leave first. Get set up in position so you’ll be ready when the rest of us get there.”

 

“Yes, Captain!” replied the named three in unison before they turned and left as ordered.

 

“Lars, you take command of the rest. Set up some surprises to welcome our foes if they chase us into the forest. I got the feeling that these foes don’t know not to chase us into our home ground yet, so we might as well make the most of it until they learn their lesson eventually,” Reinhardt said to the remaining platoon leaders. “Tell Egil to be sparing with his special stuff, though, we’re saving that up for a more opportune time for best results.”

 

“We’ll set up a warm welcome for them, Captain. They’ll enjoy it so much that they won’t want to leave ever again,” said Lars with a smirk on his face. Reinhardt knew that he could trust the man to set up the traps and ambushes as he asked, as it was that talent that made Reinhardt practically conscript him into the company all those years ago after all.

 

“Very good. Dismissed. Have your platoons march out without attracting attention once you’re ready.”

 

If you enjoy this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure (and help counter the haters), thank you!

Read ahead on my Patreon! For 5$ a month patrons will gain early access of up to 25 chapters ahead, or for 10$ a month, gain early access of up to 55 (10% bonus) chapters ahead! 

Or you can subscribe to all my stories and get a 10% discount on the price!

Join the Discord for silly stuff and chat with us!

3